These Dreams Escape Me
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... lity_1.png); background-color:#b69062; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right:0px; padding-top: 285px; border-radius:15px; -moz-border-radius:15px; -webkit-border-radius:15px; border-bottom-left-radius:15px; border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px;">

ooc: Anyone can enter :3

25th Afternoon- Evening | Secui | Restless and Hungry

The Family was safe within the keep of the mountain, albeit crammed tightly in with their rations and bedding occupying the shared space. The cavern smelled wholly of the collective scents, some still damp with rain while others were spotless and dry. But they all shared the same scent at the core and that was what mattered to the female resting in the back of the den.

Since they moved into the mountain, much to X’ies often exhibited displeasure, she remained far from her brethren pressed against the warmth of the earthen wall. Fur both plain and exotic were piled on top of her golden form to create a den within a den to support to impressive frame. The enclosure was very much alive with its entirety rising and falling with every breath of the ill she-wolf. At times the mountain of furs were shake as a shiver coursed the length of an autumn dusted ridge then settle as the hidden beast began to breathe normally again, trying desperately to attain what she felt was long lost; sleep.

Closing her eyes was as far as her mind would allow her. The blessed touch of the Ancestors seemed to favor all but her left wide awake in mind to listen to the rage of nature outside. At times she would give up on sleep and try to make a turn toward the Family to rise and great them. But her limbs refused to cooperate even to join them for a little meal. She was left to mumble from her refuge to feast on without her, that she would fend for herself after all had had their fill, throwing the hierarchy clearly out of order to appease their grumbling stomachs and further conceal her own weakened condition.

Sleep. Twas all she wanted. The healing balm to soothe her pains so that she might awake renewed and able to join her protected and loved ones. She recalled a time in her youth when restlessness kept her staring at the stars as she pleaded in silence for the Ancestors blessing. A kiss of starlight upon her eyes… a lash of the heaven’s eye to guide her to the realm of dreams. ‘Sleep for me…my young one…’ her father would sing to her when his tired eye would notice the absence of his heir. ‘Sleep so that we may see the new day together. Close your eyes so that our forefathers and mothers might bless us with the glimpses of a brighter tomorrow.’ She had found such peace in his song. The soothing ballad luring her to his side again, his warmth blanketing her in comfort. Always did she enjoy those restless nights… for they were the times her father would sing for her to sleep.

And on this restless day, how she wished he would sing for her now…

475 words.

[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... mes_v2.png); background-color:#000000; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right:0px; padding-top: 335px; border-radius:10px; -moz-border-radius:10px; -webkit-border-radius:10px; border-bottom-left-radius:0px; border-bottom-right-radius:0px; border-top-right-radius:10px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:0px; -moz-border-bottom-right-radius:0px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:10px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:0px; -moz-border-bottom-right-radius:0px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:10px;">

ooc: Form;Lupus

X'ies had lately not been too pleased with the environment that he had to live in.Sharing his mountain retreat with the other members of the family, whilst not problematic was just plain annoying. But in his mind there were other things that kept the annoyance from spilling over into his plain as day attitude. Primarily that of their sick alpha and just what they were going to do without her ability to lead. X'ies suspected that she might be pregnant and this was just the initial signs of it. This thought raised further concerns about the nature of her pregnancy, just who was the father if this was the case? And...did it really matter if it was him or not?

He would approach the female with his gift trapped between his jaws and would place it upon her to help chase away the cold. The thick fur of the bear would be more than enough to deal with that. He looked down at her once again and remembered the first time that they had both met. She had been introduced to him in a moment of weakness. But even in this moment of weakness there was defiance to it, she would turn her head and ignore her own shame and embarrassment. Yet, now it was not so easy to do so. His eyes trailing down, then moving towards the mouth of the cave once again. They say that after a storm comes a great calm...yet the shadows stretched by the ancestors seemed to go on forever.

X'ies would lie near the female, saying little but bringing his own chessboard into mind. The queen at this point was in a vulnerable position, and the king was not acting. At the moment it felt almost as if X'ies was the next in the line of power. An interesting thought but a thought none the less. This time though the enemy wasn't something that you could manifest as a chessboard, there was no king or queen. There was only nature. Something to be feared and respected, the weak would die...and the strong would perish. Such was the gift, and curse of the ancestors.The great test, to determine who was worthy to continue their lines. It almost brought a smile to the grey male's face.

Word Count: 382

[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... lity_1.png); background-color:#b69062; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right:0px; padding-top: 285px; border-radius:15px; -moz-border-radius:15px; -webkit-border-radius:15px; border-bottom-left-radius:15px; border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px;">

ooc: Others can still join in!

The bit of weight upon the pile was felt, if only subtly. It was enough to cause the female’s eyes to open just to see the endless black at the edge of her nose. She breathed deeply in the scent of fur and dampness coupled with the subtle fragrance she knew all too well. It made her smile though, to have him near during her ill condition, but knew better than to assume this quiet attention was for her own benefit. She had denned with him long enough to know this was the posture of thought. Him quiet with her near, set in a comfortable silence with the rest of the Family at the edge of their sense’ awareness.

“Deep in thought…” her voice was terribly muffled under the mountain of furs, but audible enough for his close ears to hear. From his presence she drew enough strength to twist under her warm pile toward the mouth of the mountain den and inched the folds back until her nose poked from the bottom of the pile. The air was heavy with wetness but clearer than it was beneath her refuge. Her nose inched further out, twitching at the closeness of his scent til the dry flesh poked lightly at his leg then rested. “Even without seeing, I would know you expression…” a smile could be heard in her voice though not yet seen. “Brows furrowed…neck lowered…fur bristling with every intriguing thought.” She giggled softly. “If only my presence would inspire that reaction within you. It is hard not to feel jealous when your own thoughts give you such pleasure. Truly the Lambda enjoy their quiet… don’t they.”

277 words.

[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... mes_v2.png); background-color:#000000; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right:0px; padding-top: 335px; border-radius:10px; -moz-border-radius:10px; -webkit-border-radius:10px; border-bottom-left-radius:0px; border-bottom-right-radius:0px; border-top-right-radius:10px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:0px; -moz-border-bottom-right-radius:0px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:10px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:0px; -moz-border-bottom-right-radius:0px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:10px;">

Her voice was semi enthusiastic as she spoke and it had some energy to it. That had to be a sign that she was getting better, still the Lambda felt that he needed to respond as he always would, otherwise his childhood friend might think he was treating her differently because she was ill. .He turned his head slightly to face her, then tilted his head. ”But of course who said that I wasn’t thinking of you?...in various…exciting instances..”. This would be what people normally referred to as flirtation and might help to ease her mood. But he had to quickly fix the point, not to bring her mood down but merely to cover up his thoughts…couldn’t’ t have the rest of the pack thinking that he was going soft.

“ Like how you handled the leadership of Anathema…and the planning phases of the group assimilation….quite exciting indeed…”.

He would have winked at her to establish just what he was trying to, but thought that it would probably be pointless considering that she would already know what he meant….that and her head hadn’t quite popped out from under her mountain of blankets yet. He stood and moved back over to her, brushing the tops of her blankets that hid her eyes. “ How are you feeling?....the storm doesn’t seem to be lightening up yet…but I doubt it can last too much longer”.

Word Count: 246

[/html]
[html]

ooc: Be nosy! I encourage it!

The even tone of his voice conveyed something other than monotone. A message that few even with a trained ear tuned to the Lambda’s harsh tongue would be able to understand. Endearment, if ever there was a demonstration of it from the cold, callous beast. Hard to grasp but worth the effort when it was chiseled from its hard confinement.

X’yrin would smile from beneath her cover but in her pitiful whine was a feigned of disappointment. “And here… I let myself believe you fancied thinking of me in other ways. Perhaps in a way that catered to small things running around. Little teeth and paws driving you mad beyond your senses.” Again she giggled, playing the little flirtatious game but hoping as well that these would be thoughts of her own design would find their way into reality. “But…I suppose I will have to dream…” Her tongue parted her lips then in a tease, wagging mischievously before it was hastily drawn in. Her ears perked up beneath the blankets as she heard him come closer and start to part her refuge. Though the light within the den was dim at best it was still remarkably brighter than the darkness the dwelled in and shut her eyes to spare them the sudden pain of light.

Like a child that did not wish to wake, she pulled free a heavy paw and draped it over her eyes all the while smiling at the pair’s less than professional behavior. But quickly it was wiped from her maw when calling attention to her illness again. As if the pain was controlled by its acknowledgement, a word, she felt the ache of her joints come forth again and shiver from the light damp course the length of her back. “I am… feeling a little better,” she contested the proof displayed by her own body. The slight chill that blossomed to an all out shiver then died down again just as quickly. Thankful for the wild bangs in front of her eyes, she lowered her dark lids to conceal the embarrassment within her gaze. Yet her lips chose to not follow the charade, marring her calm face with a grimace. “But I am more concerned about everyone else. Everyone is eating, yes?” she inquired in worry but already knew the answer. “Perhaps when there is another break, a few could go out and search for more. As you say…it cannot last too long but…if it does…” She needn’t impress her worries upon him, but somehow felt better in having them voiced.

426 words.

[/html]
[html]

They had partaken in this kind of discussion once before, the one that had involved the speak of children. X’ies wondered if these words were meant to excit his heart at the possibility of her carrying his children, though the attempt was a failure down to one single word within that sentence. possibility. For one, this illness could be unrelated…beyond that of course there was also the possibility of a second father…a weak father. He could see however that beyond the weakness in her body, the ember of hope that still burned…that she might be able to carry life, and might well be doing it now. ” As far as I remember curious one, your teeth and paws always were enough to drive me mad to begin with….adding to that number could be…dangerous?….”. He said this in an amused tone, playfully poking at her personality and wish to be a mother.

However once the joking was complete her concerns moved onto the rest of the family, their brief moment of personal bonding shifting to their roles within the pack. ”…The rations are holding, and I’ve set together a cycle for ration gathering during breaks in the storm…they eat enough to sustain their energy…they will not grow stronger on what we have, but nor will their strength wane…I keep my eyes watching….it seems to be what I am good at no?”. He wondered if she would comment about him over stepping his boundaries within the packs chain of command, with Jaden’s absence and her sickness the role of looking after the family fell to him, even if he was going to be reprimanded for it.

“ During the next break, I may take the Hyena, or the Prospective out on a hunt….but my main concern lies not there, but rather whether or not you are eating enough to keep up your strength….rations will hold…and if you do not believe this, I will go without mine. You require nourishment to keep your strength…taking risks like that with…certain possibilities…is not wise”.

Word Count: 341

[/html]
[html]

ooc:

His way of prodding her never ceased to bring a smile to her face, even if the words were not always soft and sweet. They were his words, lavished with the unmistakable charm of the Lambda. She would laugh softly as his attempt at humor and be grateful for his positive inclination that this sickness was possibly more than just thought. But the glittering light in her eyes would appear to dull when she pondered on it, calling back to her home in the Wentworth when she was stricken by a similar ailment. She had thought then that the cause was her body accommodating life taking root within her, but was devastated to find it was not the case. She hoped the same would not be said of her now... but it was difficult to think otherwise when she had failed times before.

But word of her Family doing well did lift her spirits some. Enough to rekindle that bit of life behind her eyes and let it smolder with the kindling of good news. "I'm glad..." she sighed softly and wagged her tongue for the Lambda's cheek. He had taken great strides to see to the Family's well being despite his role...and it was encouraging. She feared he would be the outsider, the disinterested. But he had gone to lengths his family was not known for and managed to adapt himself to this...different way of Nomad life. It was heartening...truly so and inspired hope that the others would follow such an example in due time.

Yet he professed his concern was not only with their Family, but with the Shepard lying about and refusing to eat. Her ears pulled forward from under the pile and brows raised in alarm as he spoke of forfeiting his own rations. "No." The Nomad uttered soundly. She shook her head from under the blankets then gathered what energy she could muster from her reserves to lift herself up to a seated position. Her forelimbs shook under her own weight but became firm as the Nomad's expression hardened. "My strength is fine X'ies. See? Am I not able to rise?" -But oh, how it pained her!- "It is not a risk, but a certainty. I will be fine and have eaten enough before the storm to sustain me. Truly. When..." her ears drew back as he hesitated. "When I has though to carry before, I took care of my pack and all its responsibilities without a moment's pause...and I prevailed. This is but another similar circumstance, and I will ensure the Family and myself prevail. Please...do not worry."

434 words.

[/html]
"Nonsense! By all means, get some rest Issor. No need to overwork yourself when you've done quite a good job already." He was sure his brother would be shocked by his sudden intrusion but X'uri really wasn't one to care when he was breaking little touching moments such as this. He smiled and looked quite handsome even in the low cave lighting.

"Take the hyena Brother? Sheesh, you haven't seen me in forever and now you shun me now that you have me back in your life. I insist I join the hunt. I haven't been on a good hunt with you in a long time. Perhaps it would be a good time to bond?" The wolf smiled innocently as he trotted over to the two and spoke in his lupine form. Even if he did bring the hyena, three wolves were better than two, and the Issor was exhausted. The hurricane had been taking it's toll on the Family. Being unable to go out and hunt and actually do something productive was affecting some of the members, including himself.
[html]

X'ies remained silent as she spoke to him attempting to reassure the mans mind that she was as strong as ever. But perhaps it was her state that caused her to forget that the Lambda was a master of the silent tongue, body language spoke more than her words of calming deception ever would. The moment she finished he would allow a few seconds to pass, then raised his paw and lightly bopped the Issum on the head. It was a manner of playfulness, a humourful tone of discipline as if the Lambda was trying to tell her of the foolishness to which she endeavored. " I perhaps think you forget sometimes who you talk to....Though I must remind you that those who you sustained before were not Nomads".This was simple enough for her to understand, by saying they were not Nomads X'ies was automatically placing them into the category of weakness. Though his mind drifted at that point, technically a large number of these people were not Nomads yet, however if nothing else, this experience was a part of their learning curve, and X'ies was their step in Shepard for now.

However the voice of his litter mate broke the silence that hung in between his speech and his thoughts. X'ies brother certainly appeared to have a little more personality to him. Though again as with all things Lambda this appearance was merely that, an act...a disguise. No doubt his brother had other reasons for wanting to join the hunt beyond seeing him again. But he would not deny another body, another set of jaws. "...Ah, but one true Nomad must watch over our graceful Shepard as she rests...I had assumed you would wish such an honor...but if you wish to hunt then I will not deny you".

Word Count: 316

[/html]
[html]

ooc:

He hit her. Well, not to the point of causing true pain, but shock for the action. Soft enough to be called light, but firm enough to warrant her attention. And she was certainly looking at him then. Eyes wide and nose twitching as she stared at him a moment.

And then… she felt the all too familiar sensation of rumbling in her belly, and as it bubbled up she could not contain the action that followed nor the melodious, long-since sound shamelessly produced. She giggled like mad, ignoring the subtle chide about those she led before and focused instead on how pointless that little show of scolding was. “Oh X’ies please…” playfully she reared up both front paws to bat the male lightly on the head and muzzle. “I would not dare make the mistake of forgetting whom I spoke with. Especially when you make it your goal to remind others of who you are and what family you hail from. And as if he could sense the calling of his brethren…!” Her voice reached a new height of excitement as her attention turned to the smaller Lambda. “If I did not know any better, I would assume the pair of you were trying to overthrow me. But surely an Exultare has earned the trust and devotion of the Lambda that she needn’t worry about that travesty…”

As her playfully laughter subsided to a remnant of a smile upon her muzzle, she looked from one grey male to the other expectantly, anticipating a probable (yet harmless) debate between the two. “Well…if the two of you go off to hunt, then who would have the ‘honor’ of guarding me? The Ancestors forbid I fall asleep and turn on the wrong side. Or worse! I awake to an empty belly and am forced to find my own meal!”

307 words.

[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... u/XUri.png); background-color:#000000; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; padding-right:0px; padding-top: 315px; border-radius:15px; -moz-border-radius:15px; -webkit-border-radius:15px; border-bottom-left-radius:15px; border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px; -moz-border-bottom-left-radius:15px; -webkit-border-top-right-radius:15px;">

ooc:

"Well my brother, since you're oh so important and knowledgeable about the Nomads, I think you should protect the Issor. As honourable and concerned of our dear leader, I would think you would jump on the chance of protecting her...or should I say just jump on her- if you'll pardon my brashness."

He chuckled a bit at this comment, though he would not be sure how the two love birds would react to his little dig at their secret relationship. He could see the affection in their eyes. There was too much history between them for them not to be loving. His little joke was definitely within his nature. It was how he lightened the mood and made everyone more comfortable while he watched their movements.

"So my dear true Nomad brother, I think you should protect her while I go out to hunt. I'm quite tired of being stagnant in these rather drafty old caves. I haven't been on a proper hunt since I left the previous Collective, and my peak physical body is starting to get a bit flabby. I insist, besides you look so tired and mangy and oh- wait that is how you usually look."

000 words.

[/html]
[html]

He listened to what both of them had to say, although smirked at the end of his brothers statement. He would then turn to X'yrin and speak with that mischievous grin (which was all too similar to his one as a puppy) " Ah you see there, now he will go hunt food and leave us to relax. If there was any doubt as to who was the superior Lambda it is now abolished". Indeed, by his words he had manipulated his brother into announcing that he was going to hunt, leaving X'ies more or less alone with the Alpha to whom he was arguably romantically involved with....well..it was somewhat lacking in romance, though that was him.

The Lambda then turned his nose up towards the cavern roof and again remarking in a humorous tone spoke to the Alpha. " Ah, but indeed one does imagine that you turning on the wrong side would be a terrible thing, to imagine you sleeping with the blankets covering your face as such...my the snoring would likely scare any prey we bring back to life...". Then he looked over at his littermate, in his jestful, yet dry mood. "...And brother I do believe we have discussed before...Tis not mangey...I am rugged...and as you know the difference between the rugged and the handsome...is that the handsome looks at his own reflection in the pool...the rugged does not...but garners the stares of the females...". One look over to X'yrin, then to further bemuse the situation winked at his brother as if to say. " You know what I'm talkin about".

Word Count: 267

[/html]