Appreciating The Finer Things In Life
[html]OOC:// Hey there. Smile This thread takes place after the hurricane.

BIC://

It was truly a remarkable sight to behold, the border tree of Cercatori d'Arte. When she had first joined the pack, Kenna had admired the various, colorful and creative works of art that decorated its vast trunk. She'd never gotten a good look at it then though. Ever since her acceptance she'd been meaning to return to the massive natural canvas and only now had she managed to get around to visiting it. With Dust contently grazing on the grasses nearby, Kenna stood marveling up at all the beautiful art upon the tree's bark. A soft smile played across her muzzle as she approached and slowly circled the tree. As she went along, she sought to find a single, small, clear spot on it's bark where she might be able to add her own little creation. She hadn't been a part of the pack for very long, but she wanted to leave her own mark. She intended to stay for a long while, so why shouldn't she make an addition to the ever-growing story that was made through the art and writing of past and present d'Artisans. As she came around the far side of the border tree the collie woman spied her personal blank canvas. Noting its location mentally, she walked over to her mount and dug inside one of the small saddle bags upon his back and pulled out a small pointed chisel and a mini, stone hammer. She was going to carve an image into the bark rather than attempt to paint something that would likely become lost amongst the other colorful drawings.

Patting Dust's shoulder affectionately, the horse returning the gesture with a gentle nudge to her leg, Kenna then returned to stand before the small blank spot on the tree. She considered exactly what she wanted to carve before stepping up onto one of the tree's large lifted roots and brushed her paw over the smooth space, clearing it of any unwanted textures from dust. She then leaned in and raised the chisel, gently placing it against the bark and began to lightly tap the hammer against it, slowly chipping and peeling away the bark and beginning to form an image on the surface. She didn't need to go very deep, just enough that the carving would form a scar and last. As she worked, delicately maneuvering the chisel, she hummed softly to herself, a tune that her mother sang to her when she was little. It was a peaceful afternoon, there was nothing pressing that required her attention (most of the repairs from the hurricane were complete now) and so the cow girl was content to carve as long as she needed to get the design just right...
[/html]
[html]

ooc: Thank you so much for all the art you did for me!

Huddie galloped through the woods with her master, Edgar, riding upon her white back. The horse's dark brown eyes focused on a girl nearby who was standing near a tree with her horse nearby. Knowing that this was the border's of his pack and that the girl was probably a member as well, the bi-colored dog let his horse take him to where she wanted to go. It had been a couple days since the boy had first found the mare, she was out in the woods on her own - bruised, battered, and scratched. With some tender love and care, the equine was restored back to health and decided to stick by the man who had helped her. Travelling went by a lot faster with his new steed, and the pain in his legs, from running around on his own for so long, seemed to go away already. Of course the goose was still there; she was perched calmly on the shoulder of her canine friend. Focusing back on the girl ahead, Edgar thought of how little of his pack-mates he knew of, he had only known of Eclipse and Skye! The dog wondered what talents that the others would have, were they artists or cooks like him? They just might be, because as he got closer, he noticed that this female luperci he had seen was carving into the side of a tree. Even though he had spent less than a week in Cercatori D'Arte, Edgar knew what the tree was; it was known as the border tree. Carefully sliding off the side of his mare, he stood behind the girl and smiled as he watched her carve. He didn't care if she didn't turn to notice him, he just liked to watch people create.

template by revo. <3

[/html]
[html]OOC:// You're absolutely welcome hon! <3
IC://

The only sound for a time besides the gentle tap of Kenna's chisel and hammer on the bark was the gentle, innocent fluttering of the leaves of the border tree and it's smaller, surrounding kin. Occasionally Dust would lift his head, ears swiveling about alertly for a brief time before he'd shuffle his tail, sigh and continue to nibble in the tall grasses. It was almost impossible to know that a vicious storm had passed through the lands only a little while ago. Everything was so peaceful. Smiling softly as she worked, the cowgirl began carving the finishing touches on her creation. Just then a loud gravelly squawk sounded over head as a raven soared passed, calling down to the artist at work, its shadow falling over the woman below. Startling and swiftly looking up at the sound, shielding her eyes from the sunlight that managed to seep through the brim of her stetson, Kenna swished her tail and gave a soft chuckle as the bird continued on its way without another call. She shook her head amused and returned to chiseling her design. 'Probably just saying hello...' She figured to herself.

More time passed and soon, the image on the tree took its final form. Kenna had carved the figure of a running horse onto the side of the border tree. Its mane and tail flowed out behind it as if in a great wind and she had added texture to the creature with intricate detail. Stepping back slightly to view her art, Kenna's blue gaze swept over the 3 inch long carving. As she admired her work, she imagined she could almost hear the drumming hoof beats of the horse she'd brought to life in the wood. Her ear twitched and so did Dust's and the stallion once again raised his head, sniffing the air. Wait... the sound wasn't in her head. Turning behind her, Kenna looked up just as a white mare and her rider came to a stop a few paces away. The afternoon sun reflected brightly off the horse's coat and for a second Kenna was temporarily flash blinded. But blinking a few times cleared the spots in front of her eyes and she could now properly focus on the rider up the horse's back. He was a dog, like her, colored rusty orange and white, though she wasn't sure exactly what breed and he looked a little younger than her. His attire was baggy and casual and he gave Kenna the sense of an innocent curiosity.

The collie-wolf girl couldn't help but smile a little. No doubt he was newly accepted into the pack. He smelled only faintly of Cercatori, but the trace was definitely there, starting to sink into his clothes already. Stepping forward into the shadow of the border tree's branches she lifted a paw and tipped the edge of her hat to the stranger. "Afternoon there partner." She spoke, her western drawl evident as she slowly approached the mare, lightly holding out her paw for the equine to sniff at if she chose to. Coming up to stand just behind his companion, Dust plodded up, interested in the mare before them. He gave a soft nicker to her, already starting his usual equine "flirting". Kenna glanced to the Buckskin and rolled her eyes before looking back to her new company. "I'm Kenna, Kenna Foxleigh. And this here is Dust." She patted the stallion's neck. "I haven't seen ya around here before. You new to Cercatori d'Arte?" She questioned amiably. She didn't know that her every word fell upon deaf ears...
[/html]
[html]

ooc: Smile

As he came closer, his hawk-like eyes were able to tell what the drawing was from where he was; it was a horse. Not only that, it was also a very good one too! This woman was definitely one that he could bond easily with - not that it was difficult for him to bond with others. She appeared to be some sort of collie, her fur very fluffy and soft-looking. Edgar smiled as she approached him, wanting to appear calm and friendly. The dog carried the strong, sweet scent of his pack; it was about time for him to start making friends with more pack members! She had soothing blue eyes and sported a rather stylish hat and a shiny, golden necklace. His fellow pack-mate had a strong, feminine build; much like the other women luperci in the area. It embarrassed him a bit that some of them even weighed more than him. The dog's copper eyes brightened as her horse took interest in Huddie, making a rather welcoming gesture toward his steed. Huddie's chocolatey eyes focused on Dust, giving him a playful nip - she didn't appear to be intimidated by the strong male. Edgar tugged her reigns a bit, not wanting a fight to start between the two. He realized the lady before him had been talking. The dog quickly pulled out his notepad and wrote: I don't think we've met, my name is Edgar; I'm deaf so this is the only way I communicate. I'm new to Cercatori D'Arte, I just joined a few days ago. This is Huddie, I hope she isn't bothering your horse you've got here. Would you mind telling me a bit about yourself? I've wanted to get to know my pack-members ever since I joined. He wondered what history would go along with the strange hat on her head, she seemed to be a very unique luperci.

template by revo. <3

[/html]
OOC: I <3 Edgar!

IC: Kenna smiled, amused as Dust and the white mare introduced themselves to each other in a typical equine way. It seemed she wasn't the only one making friends these days. Dust had been getting friendly with some of the mares back at the stables too. It made the woman happy to know her companion was happy too. After a long pause only then did Kenna realize the male hadn't responded to her but had begun writing on a notepad. Curious, Kenna's ears lifted and she leaned forward as the stranger held out the paper. Blue eyes ran over the text scrawled on its surface and blinked at the information. His name was Edgar, his horse was Huddie and he was new to Cercatori. But what surprised her most was that he was deaf. 'Gosh, that must be hard...' She thought but still smiled and nodded, taking the pencil gently from Edgar's paw and writing her own response. Her writing wasn't nearly as neat as his, more sloppy since she was a bit out of practice, but in the end it was readable. Through writing though, Edgar would not be able to hear her southern accent.

Nice to meet you Edgar! I'm Kenna Foxleigh. Dust is my horse. He seems to really like Huddie. Don't worry, she's no bother at all. She's a very pretty mare! Here she drew what would be a smiling face. Oh and welcome to the pack! How are you liking Cercatori so far? Have you found a place to settle in yet? I'm fairly new myself, joined back in June. Still haven't gotten around to meeting every face in the pack. Is there anything specific you want to know about me? I'm open for sharing.

She then passed the notepad and pencil back to Edgar and stroked Dust's mane. The entire time she'd been writing, the stallion had been slowly inching forward to get closer to Huddie to investigate her. Despite her nipping, he seemed to like having her attention. Kenna chuckled softly and spoke to her horse. "You're silly, boy. Always gotta schmooze every gal you see." She shook her head, grinning.
[html]

ooc: I <3 him too, but you know who else I also love? Kenna! Seriously she's the cutest character everrr c:

Being deaf wasn't hard. Atleast for Edgar it wasn't. His eyesight was outstanding - better than perfect, even. Not having the sounds of the outside world left him to live peacefully in his own mind, but it almost felt like a prison to him sometimes; when there wasn't any paper to write or draw on. Looking over at her, her blue eyes were focused on the two horses. She appeared to be enjoying watching them socialize, so that meant they definitely weren't fighting or anything like that. His pack-mate then noticed him handing the paper to her, so she took it and read over it. There seemed to be a trace of sympathy in her eyes as she looked at the words - she must have had a sensitive heart like his. Edgar didn't mind sympathy, but it sure wasn't something he'd ask for. The first sentence she wrote affirmed his belief that she was one who knew a whole lot about horses; he could maybe ask about what was wrong with Huddie... She is, I actually found her out in the woods. She was all beaten and bruised, I don't know why anyone would want to harm such a beautiful, hardworking lady like her. It was true, he thought of Huddie as a lady. He also thought of Goose as a child. He gave titles you'd give to your family or friends to his own animals, they were all the family he had. Thanks, I really love it here. It's so beautiful and everyone is so unique! I have found a nice little house in Thornbury, it sure beats sleeping out in the woods. Anything, I guess. He paused for a moment, then writing, Well, I'll start off. I'm an artist, I also came from a big family. Left home when I was young. None of it was lies, but he made sure to leave out all the gruesome, depressing details.

template by revo. <3

[/html]
OOC: D'awww! Thanks! <333

IC: Kenna already felt a certain fondness for her new pack mate. He was so...innocent it seemed and despite his impairment, he didn't let it bother him and appeared to enjoy the simple things in life. Affectionatley patting Dust's neck as he stretched his neck forward and gave a gentle nuzzle to the white mare Kenna smiled and looked up in time to take the notepad back from Edgar. Her eyes roved over his words and a frown crept onto her face, her fur bristling ever so slightly with anger. "She was all beaten and bruised, I don't know why anyone would want to harm such a beautiful, hardworking lady like her." Kenna quickly scrawled her response, her heart going out to the young man and his horse. Anyone who would harm a horse was automatically an enemy in her eyes, but Edgar had rescued the beautiful equine and she seemed so much better off within his care. I find knowing that someone's been out and abusing horses disturbing... How far away from here did you find her? If some horse-hating creep is lurking around nearby we should probably let Skye know just in case. I'd hate for anything else to happen to Huddie or to find Dust hurt too. She shook her head and sighed, trying to clam herself and shake the uncomfortable feeling that crept into her chest at the news.

She focused on the rest of his reply and her smile slowly returned. Thanks, I really love it here. It's so beautiful and everyone is so unique! I have found a nice little house in Thornbury, it sure beats sleeping out in the woods. Kenna laughed softly. She was used to sleeping in the woods alone. She didn't much mind the solitude, but she could completely understand how being among a pack and being provided with a warm bed and good food could quickly change one's mind. I'm with you there. I've got a house of my own too, but I haven't got much to fill it with... I still sleep in the woods." She glanced up with a sheepish shrug. I don't mind it too much, but then again I'm kinda used to it. She then continued reading his reply.

Anything, I guess. Well, I'll start off. I'm an artist, I also came from a big family. Left home when I was young. Kenna nodded slowly after reading and took a moment to decide to to divulge about herself then wrote some more. I come from a pack up northwest a little ways. My family is small though, it was just my mom, dad and me. Dust is pretty much my family now. I left my old pack when I was a year old and stayed out as a wanderer for a while until I found Cercatori d'Arte. She smiled up at her pack mate and wagged her tail a bit to show her enthusiasm. I'm not really an 'artist' per se, but I know how to carve wood pretty well. She glanced back at the border tree at her carving in the bark. She then grinned and pointed to it wordlessly before scribbling a few more words. I also have a sort of gift with animals, primarily horses. My passion is horses and anything nature. What are some of your favorite things? She asked then passed the paper back to Edgar.
[html]

ooc: Really sorry this took so long!!!

The dog watched as a rather angered expression appeared on the young woman's face; he assumed it had something to do with what he had said about his mare's past. Edgar then carefully read her words, his guess had been correct. He looked toward her and gave her a nod - a look of concern mixing into his copper orbs. Yes, the thought of Huddie being abused like that really saddens me as well. I don't think I could understand how somebody could live their lives hating and hurting others, I grew up in a hostile environment myself but I still love. The spotted male paused for a moment, not wanting to discuss too much of his past again; he didn't like bringing it up all that much. That's definitely a good idea to me he wrote back - addressing the part she had written about confronting Skye about the issue. Their conversation began to lighten up a bit as Kenna smiled at his message about sleeping out in the woods. He took note of how her grip on the pen relaxed; her starting to calm down a bit. I see that with somebody with a thicker coat like yours' that wouldn't be much of an issue. For me it's a whole other story! Edgar shivered at the thought of sleeping out in the woods. Although he enjoyed the beauty, the temperature wasn't something he got too thrilled about. The boy then continued to read on about her history and just a few things she named that she found interesting. Edgar's lips curled up in content as he imagined the beautiful land that she grew up on and then he wrote back a reply. That must've been a great place to grow up in. I hear it's really beautiful over there. I suppose my life story is similar... Well, I obviously have a great love for art, I also enjoy cooking. I definitely love nature a lot too, it is the main source of my inspiration. The luperci then breathed in the fresh air after scribbling down the last part. He really did love nature.

template by revo. <3

[/html]