positively fourth street.
[html]

--

While running and sprinting in his quadruped form offered an excellent means to improve his endurance, he found that it was easiest to build muscle shifted. The strength he gained from all of the push ups, pull ups, and sit ups would also be transferred to his other forms, of course. Exercise and training had become so engrained in his routine that he didn't bother to count any more--he only stopped when his muscles grew too tired.
He could feel the warmth that shot up and down his arms, making him keenly aware of every muscle. Once it became impossible to ignore, he pushed himself up off of the ground entirely and strode over to a nearby tree. One of its boughs hung relatively low to the ground, and he grasped it firmly in both hands while he jumped up and used the momentum to carry his body in an arc. At the top, he bunched his legs close to his chest and then extended them to hook them onto the branch.
Hanging upside down for a moment as he gazed absently at a bumble bee that was flying past, he forced himself to focus and began to do his crunches. With his arms folded behind his head, he'd contract the muscles in his torso until he could touch his elbows to his knees. Fighting gravity along with his body's internal resistance yielded better results than simply doing these things on the ground... and it was easy to transition from this exercise into some pull ups once his arms had a chance to recover, since he was already hanging there. Absently and mechanically, he continued his routine.
[/html]
[html]

Just barely got a reply in, whooh!

i heard they say the boy's missing

What... was that guy doing. Hybrid had been watching him for a short while, having noticed him when he was on his way somewhere to do something. What had he been doing again? It must have been important, but he had long since forgotten. Perhaps he hadn't really wanted to do it anyways-- that was certainly possible. If that was the case, it was also possible that his momentary forgetfulness was a good thing. Or wait, perhaps it was bad he had forgotten. Hybrid grimaced, then shook his head. Whatever.

He trotted closer, not bothering to conceal his curiosity, or whatever you might call it. He didn't think he was curious, just... wondering what the fuck the guy was doing. "What the fuck are you doing?" There you go. You want an answer, you go and fucking get it. Hybrid stared-- what a weird guy.

Table by Mel!
[/html]
[html]

--

His nose twitched as the breeze shifted and chose to tell him that he was not alone. Every time he would swing down, he'd catch a glimpse of Hybrid out of the corner of his eye--but every time, he'd just go right back up again. He recognised the coyote well enough, even though they had never really spoken before or seen each other outside of meetings. Every time, Hybrid was a little closer, and before too long he demanded to know what Anselm was doing.
His face contorted somewhat, one brow lifting as he gave Hybrid a weird look. What did it look like he was doing? It was strange how they could both think the other to be the odd one. "Sit ups," he replied simply, exhaling as he curled his body up and inhaling as he relaxed. "More effective this way," he added, offering explanation for the vertical nature of the exercise--most of the time these were done laying on the ground, and he wasn't even sure if they were supposed to be called something else if he was suspended like he was. Maybe he did look silly, but usually nobody bothered him during his workouts and this was worth the rock hard abs.
[/html]
[html]

I have no idea why it took me so long to reply to this.

Sit ups; so they had a name. Hybrid supposed it was descriptive enough-- Anselm was in fact sitting up, multiple times. Hybrid suspected he had heard of these things in the past, or at least seen someone do this before, but was not inclined to try and think back to see if he did. He glanced from Anselm, to the tree, and back again, slowly feeling himself losing interest in the entire situation. Now that he had a name to call the strange, repetitive movements, they didn't seem as strange (or interesting) as they had before. He had not been all that interested in the first place, so the other male's answer was disappointing to say the least.

"Oh," he replied dully. He flattened his ears slightly, then glanced away. He stood there for a few moments, not sure what to do. He had a word and a minor explanation, but it didn't mean his boredom had been quenched. In fact, Hybrid found himself growing more and more annoyed at the wolf, peeved that he could be so uninteresting. Gabriel was interesting enough. They killed things, ate things. Well, mostly just killed things, like that one weird wolf that thought they were gay together, or something. Hybrid smirked, letting his gaze wander back over to Anselm. "You want to fuck, or something?" He was bored and this Anselm fellow didn't look too bad. A bit more like a wolf than a coyote, though, he supposed it didn't really matter anyways. Sex was sex-- it didn't have much more of a meaning then that.

Table by Mel!
[/html]
[html]

--

(!@#$%)Anselm's exercise halted the moment after Hybrid had uttered the question. He'd been midway through a repetition, and in a remarkable feat of endurance and strength, he stayed there. For quite some time, too. Initially he simply blinked; when nothing made sense, he blinked some more. His facial expression morphed from confused, to annoyed, to dumbfounded. Was this how awkward it was when he asked others to have sex? Finally, slowly, his body unfurled and he hung vertical once more. A moment later, the sit-ups resumed. Anselm was still silent as he did a few more.

(!@#$%)He wasn't sure if he was supposed to be flattered, offended, or disturbed. His ears flattened against his head but his gaze had become hollow and distant as he stared directly into the space in front of him. Anselm preferred the ladies; they were prettier, softer, much more arousing. Besides, it didn't even make sense to mate with a male--he couldn't very well spread his genes that way, now could he? Finally: Are you gay? spilled past his lips in a slightly puzzled tone. His eyes finally went to Hybrid's face as he viewed one of the local "bad asses" in a whole new light. He'd heard of such things before, but his first pack had been largely don't ask, don't tell. Anybody who was discovered to be "that way" would probably be ridiculed as much as he was just for being part coyote. Needless to say, this left a lasting impression on him he wouldn't soon forget.
[/html]
[html]

He shrugged, nonplussed by Anselm's reaction. "I guess, if you want to call it that," he replied in a bored tone. It wasn't so much that he was gay than he was not fond of females, period. They were weak, disgusting, snivelling creatures that didn't have many uses aside from bearing puppies. All the ones he had met in the past had been stupid and foolish, perfectly willing to be dominated by a male figure, and in some cases, forced to be. He had seen enough of his father's late-night escapades to know what sex between a male and a female was like, and it wasn't all that exciting or interesting. In many of the cases, the female wound up dead, just lying there when the deed had been finished.

Males on the other hand, well... they were a little more exciting. None of the high, annoying chatter you'd get from a female, and there were all sorts of... anatomical goodies to make things more exciting. In fact, as he'd found time and time again, most of the males he'd come across put up a rather amusing fight. A show of bravado before he claimed them, digging his claws into their flesh as they came. It was all rather fun, nothing like what a female might do.

It seemed as though all his partners had been male, but it had never surprised him. It seemed only natural that if females were so... female, he would turn to males as his only choice. Vitium had been the second he'd slept with, though, he supposed the term was a little light for what they had done. Fucked like rabid animals, was more appropriate. Hybrid still had a scar from Vitium, and that had been before he had wanted to kill the male. Samael, too, was fun enough, even if he did have a 'thing' for his mother, and that wolf boy-- what had his name been, Jasper or something?-- had proved to be rather entertaining as well. He put up a decent enough fight, and Hybrid had always found it amusing to toy with the boy. Perhaps Anselm could be his new toy-- a new adventure, something he'd never come across before. "Are you?"

Table by Mel!
[/html]
[html]

--

(!@#$%)Anselm was slightly dumbfounded; he'd never been placed into this sort of situation before. The awkwardness of it all drove him to focus intensely on his sit-ups, but before too long the burning sting in his muscles grew too strong to ignore. Still, he wasn't about to be left with nothing to do but sit and stare at the gay coyote--and so, he hoisted himself onto the branch and swung down again. Now he was supporting his weight with his hands and arms instead of his knees. Adjusting his grip slightly, he began to pull himself up.

(!@#$%)Hybrid's question snapped him out of his reverie. His ears fell back against his head and he gave a quick No in response, stated with such conviction there was no room for questioning. Anselm was most definitely straight; he'd never even been curious about sleeping with a male before. Not only would he be unable to get it up, he'd probably have to fight off the urge to vomit. He really couldn't imagine putting his little guy into some other dude's bumhole... would it smell like poop when it came out? Ew. Catching was even more outrageous, of course--as a male, it was his job to do the pounding, not to receive it.
(!@#$%)Essentially, the only man meat he'd do any lovin' on was his own. What's the appeal? he wondered aloud, the disgust cancelling out the curiosity and vice versa, leaving his tone as neutral as before. Obviously there was something he was missing here--maybe Hybrid could at least shed some light on it.

[/html]
[html]

-had been pondering over how to reply to this for the past few days-

Disappointment; he had been looking forward to having a new fuck mate, and Anselm was fit enough. He supposed if Anselm wasn't gay, that would be a problem of sorts. Hybrid supposed he could always try convincing him, or somehow turn him gay, but he didn't think that was even possible. Could you even turn someone gay? That would be like... turning someone straight, like some female trying to make him swing her way. He grimaced; that was disgusting.

Hybrid laughed at Anselm's question, amused the other was even curious about it. For Hybrid, it was the obvious choice-- if females were disgusting, loathsome creatures, and he happened to find males physically attractive, the answer was simple: kill the females and fuck the males. Though, he supposed he didn't do much of the former, as it was equivalent to hunting game (well, when they were wolves, at least). He had found that female coyotes were generally less stupid, but still just as disgusting. The shape of their bodies was unappealing, the sound and pitch of their voices annoying, and even the way they walked was irksome.
"Well, they don't make me want to vomit, for one," he replied, wrinkling his nose slightly. "They're not weak like most females are, so it makes conquering them all the more fun in the end." He smirked. "Maybe I just like the challenge. And the fact that they don't break when I hurt them," he noted, or fuck them," he added as an afterthought. He shrugged. He had a number of reasons, but he doubted Anselm would want to hear all of them.

Table by Mel!
[/html]
[html]

--

(!@#$%)Hybrid clearly liked it rough--keeping this in mind made his argument painfully logical to Anselm. Guys could put up more of a fight and wouldn't get hurt as easily. In his mind, though, there was never supposed to be a good reason to do another guy. Some girls still liked a bit of roughing up, but he wasn't being imaginative enough when it came to what "rough" meant. The kind of sex that Hybrid and Samael engaged in would be enough to make him think himself sane--even he wasn't that messed up. It would also make the argument less offensive. If they got off by seriously beating each other up and the taste of blood, they had more "issues" than mere gender preference. Fortunately or unfortunately, though, he could only guess as to the extent of Hybrid's sexual escapades.

(!@#$%)Eh, he half-grunted as he pulled himself up so that his head cleared the branch. I guess I don't really look for a "challenge" when I have sex, he admitted, and immediately thought it ridiculous he ever uttered such a thing aloud. It was the truth, though--Anselm was pretty lazy when it came to finding willing partners. Once they were already engaged, it was supposed to be about fun and stress relief... not an adrenaline rush. He got enough of that elsewhere in life: on the hunt, during battle, even to some extent during his training. What do you do to relax? he wondered, hoping it would change the subject a little. Everyone had something they did to mellow out... right?
[/html]
[html]

Your reply made me laugh. Big Grin And it is probably the best analysis of Hybrid I've ever seen. <3

Everything was a battleground; nothing was sacred, and there was no sanctity. Peace and security could be damned, for it was all a simple little lie to intrigue and confuse you. Hybrid knew it did not exist, for it could not exist. There was no reason for it to. There was always a battle- of words, thoughts, physical strength, and endurance. Hybrid had waged many wars, won his fair share, and seen a number of them end in defeat. He was not all-knowing, but he was (arguably) decently educated in the art of war. He could easily be classified as a thrill junkie, preferred to throw his life on the line just to feel alive, for his dallied with Samael, there was always the possibility of death. It was slim, but it was there, and it existed in a degree that comforted him. It made sex feel more real, more vivid. He knew he was alive when he felt the tickling of worry in the back of his mind, knew he was alive when he saw evidence that others were, too. When Samael bled, Hybrid knew he lived, and thus, was alive as well. It was a strange and twisted logic, and came back to the origin of war.

In this respect, Hybrid never really 'relaxed.' Or at least, not the way others might-- his idea of relaxation was just as twisted as his idea of fun. "I've always found killing wolves to be extremely soothing," he joked with a smirk. He snorted, almost laughed even, to show that it was in jest. Yes, killing wolves was enjoyable, but it was not relaxing. What was relaxing? The scent of lavender? No, only to a bottom. What about the sound of running water, the quiet serenity of a brook? Perhaps not-- it made him need to take a piss. Perhaps his definition of relaxing was a little different. "I don't know," he replied. "I don't think I relax much," he mused. Sure, he might take a nap on a rock in the sun, but that wasn't relaxing-- that was just sleep. Sometimes, he might stare at the clouds and ponder the meaning of life, but that wasn't very relaxing, either (and he knew his purpose in life was to kill wolves, so that was easy enough). He supposed his honesty only betrayed how little he did, aside from sex, killing and, well... that was it, really.

Table by Mel!
[/html]
[html]

desperadoThe majority of Anselm's discontent came from overcomplicating things. Searching for a grand scheme or purpose in life was exhausting and generally fruitless--it seemed to him that they'd all come to be rather randomly. Nature was fickle and would just as happily offer life-giving rain as a devastating tsunami that wiped out half the coast. It wasn't the plan of some master coordinator of the universe, it was just how things worked. That made it harder for Anselm to see exactly where he fit into the picture, which led to many nights of existentialist breakdowns and fits. Hybrid had come to define a goal for his life, so even if he weren't relaxed exactly, he was still a step ahead of Anselm as far as confusion was concerned.
desperadoWhy do you think the whole wolf versus hybrid or wolf versus coyote thing has to happen? Socially complicated issues like this one constantly plagued him. Perhaps that was why Anselm needed little things to help him relax. His leisure activities were often some of the simplest, perhaps made to balance out the complexity of everything else. Without that, he wasn't just confused.. he was also stressed. Clearly one of the two had to be appeased or he would probably lose his mind. Really? No drugs or anything? he asked, honestly somewhat surprised. Shady characters and substance abuse just went together swimmingly, or so he thought. Even he was guilty of such pleasures when he thought he could afford them (and he wasn't exactly the epitome of honesty and honour).
[/html]
[html]

429.  I think this is the most Hybrid has ever said at one time. :>

Hybrid had never given any thought to the origins of the feud between coyotes and wolves, and Anselm's words made him pause for a moment to consider it. He had long acknowledged and accepted that coyotes were superior to wolves, having drawn his conclusion from past experiences and independent research. It had not been difficult to deduce, as the answer had been glaringly obvious. Wolves were the antagonists, and had been, and would continue to be for years, or at least, until he eliminated them all. "I suppose it's resent on my part. But wolves would attack and kill coyote pups on sight, and as a result, we would do the same. When we were just normal coyotes, no shifting abilities, the only way to overpower a wolf was with numbers. Now they can't use their size to their advantage. We can fight back." He frowned. "And of course, we're all hunting the same food. They steal our kills and our prey. There's no reason not to resent them. It's natural," he replied evenly. It was simply how things were. In the past, coyotes had to contend with a wolves larger size, and rarely came out of a fight with wolves unscathed. But now? They could fight back and they could win. Even if the Dahlian Wars had ended in a draw, the raids against Syemv had been effective, and the Syemv War had been a success. That had to say something for their evolution.

The next time Anselm spoke, Hybrid just laughed. Perhaps Hybrid was too much of a rationalist to believe in drugs or such substances. Sometimes, he really did wonder. What was purer? The mind or the body? If it was the mind, such drugs could only cloud one's judgment and detract from their very being, contorting how they perceived and understood things. If the body was the purest, what was the point of throwing his time away for such useless hedonistic desires only to have nothing in the end? Hybrid had never been curious about drugs, and had never seen the point. They did not make him stronger, smarter or faster. They wasted precious time that could be spent patrolling the borders or killing wolves. In essence, they would only weaken his resolve and would distract him from more important things. Useless. "I don't have anything to hide from," he replied. He had nothing to escape nor anything to push away. He would accept his enemies with bared fangs and sharpened claws, and with a stick sharpened on both ends waiting to fulfill its duty.

Table by Mel!
[/html]