Sleepless Night
The dreams had come again, to real to ignore or hope to get any further sleep that night. So the grey pelted Secui wolf had spent the last hour strolling through the forest, dodging between the beams of moonlight that filtered through the trees. The night was clear and filled with stars, casting an eerie silver glow on the landscape. The lack of cloud cover gave winter a chance to curl its fingers around Anathema, and the tactician was grateful for his thick pelt, his breath misted in great clouds before his face and the ground felt hard beneath his pads, perhaps tonight there would be a deep frost.. Movement in the undergrowth caught his attention and he watched a rabbit, scared at his proximity, disappear deeper into the lands. He had no appetite and did not chase after the creature, instead he continued his slow lope, his progress seeming aimless, but eventually bringing him to a stream he knew would be there waiting.

The water was icy on his tongue, but refreshing and cleansing. He placed his massive forepaws into the water and felt as they became numb, but did not remove them quickly. The startling cold of it brought him back to himself, grounding him in the now and leaving both past and future at bay. If there was something this land had helped with, it was to allow his mind to wander and to help him make sense of the life he had led up to this point and allow healing to begin. It was horribly self-indulgent thing perhaps, but he was grateful for it, and thankful to the pack for taking him in and allowing it to begin. Removing his paws from the water, he lowered himself onto his haunches, feeling the familiar pins and needles as blood began to move back into his extremities. Another night with no sleep, he hoped the healing process would not rob him of too many more nights.
With the moon out Pride had left the caves behind. This was her time, moving through the pack when most members were asleep. It was easier this way when the sun wouldn't sting her eyes. Her tail swayed behind her. Pride had chosen a different form this night. Instead of the optime form that she was so fond of with it's many uses she had chosen to wander in lupine, her ghostly form crossing the lands. At times it appeared she was no more than a trick of the light with her pale coat and small form.

She was surprised when she smelled another pack member. Who would still be up at this hour? She knew most of the night dwellers, and this wasn't one of them. The young coyote crossed over to where the stream was. Pausing she stared down, letting her nose take in who it was. The wolf appeared old, with too many battles faced in his life. Her nose told her a different story, that of a young powerful wolf. He might be slowed down by the battles, but he wasn't as old as he appeared. Slipping down to the stream she smiled. It's a beautiful night. What called you out?
The delicate fragrance of another came to him on the wind only a few moments before the female appeared, her lithe form appearing to move effortlessly through the landscape and the silvery moonlight reflecting hauntingly upon her brilliantly white pelt, the pelt was more than white, the grizzled tactician suspected albinism, but the dark made it more difficult to tell. As she approached he stood, the scent of Anathema tinged her fragrance, so Einarr knew she was a pack member. He bowed respectfully, adopting exactly the right submission for one of her station for a moment. Her form was a slim one, and she scented of coyote, the smile she gave him seemed to come easily as she spoke.

”Yes, the night is clear and bright, perhaps not a good hunting night, but certainly beautiful.”

He replied, his tone factual and practical, holding little intonation giving no information away of his thoughts or feelings, a tactician’s tone, but the words were carefully chosen.

”I was unable to sleep.”

Elaborating on the nightmares would help neither of them, so he remained silent.

”I thought perhaps a wander through my new pack’s land would help to clear my head.”

He nodded again, aware of his lack of introduction.

”My name is Einarr, and what brings you out at such a late hour?”
The wolf stood, submitting gracefully to her. It wasn't much, as she was a single rank above him, but the show of respect still pleased her. Pride's tail swayed behind her, looking over his frame once more. His actions said a lot about him, since he was willing to submit to someone younger than himself in subservience to rank. Others might have adopted a more casual manner that wouldn't force them to show that respect to her. She listened to his words, marking the lack of tone. He hid his feelings and thoughts away quite well behind that voice.

It wasn't completely hidden. His words did inform her somewhat of his view. It was very factual, showing that she was dealing with someone that observed on the logical level before dealing with emotion and other such things. He continued on, not elaborating on why he was unable to sleep, just stating it as fact and continuing. Pride nodded her head, white eyes meeting his own. I don't care for the day. This is when I'm normally awake. My name is Pride Tormenta. She stated her preference for the night without a care, letting him draw what conclusions he might from that fact. Perhaps I could aid you and walk with you through the pack? I know it quite well.
He did not hold her gaze for long, he was of lesser rank than her, and the grizzled male knew the tales from his family, that the eyes were the window onto the soul, and he didn’t feel like having his soul read this night. It was difficult to believe that he was not so many seasons older than this white coyote, but he struggled to remember a time when he was so young. Her eyes had been colourless, the creature before him was curious and entrancing and her keen eyes were uncomfortably observant. Well perhaps he could once again steer this conversation before it got away from him In truth he did not feel he would be good company, and perhaps he should refuse the offer of company, his mind whirled with troubles.

”That would be kind of you, lead on and allow our paws to do the walking.”

He waited for Pride to move alongside him so they could start their walk, and for a moment his mind wandered back to the cliffs he had been training upon. She had been there, she had been there, and she had not recognised him, nor would he wish her to. Fate it seemed mocked him yet, even this far from his birthplace, he was haunted by ghosts from the past. He gave himself a mental shake, realising the lull in their conversation, but not hurrying to fill it.

”You are an albino?”

It was not a question, but a fact extrapolated from obvious clues, the lack of colour in her eyes was unusual, but he understood the lack of pigmentation pointed there, and the white fur.

”Do you find the daylight painful?”

He asked, his tone still carefully neutral.