A life you don't live is still lost
She hadn't expected this to happen, not so soon after she had joined.

Ember sighed as she started back toward Twilight Vale, grumbling under her breath. She'd thought that she had finally found a place where she could live away from her family, but still have the support of a pack...but she'd been wrong. It seemed that each place she went to fell a little while after she joined it, which she was finding to be pretty annoying.

She didn't stop at the borders like a respectable wolf, instead passing them by and entering deeper into the territory. Naniko was a lenient wolf (it was one of the things that Ember both liked and disliked about her) so she knew she wouldn't get into trouble for coming in. She didn't have the excuse that she was looking for Cercelee any more, but she could always say that she was looking for Kansas.

She wasn't sure if she wanted to admit to herself that she was specifically seeking Khaden out. What reason would she have to do that? They were friends, but she didn't have to be around him all the time. She needed freedom! But at the same time, she found herself travelling along a path that overlapped his scent-trail, coming closer and closer to his location with each passing moment.

Who was she kidding?

Khaden didn't know why he was still at the Manor. It was all in ruins now, everyone had left and abandoned it to disband the name of Twilight Vale. Dspite everything, he knew why Naniko had finally decided to put this horrible chapter of 'Souls life behind her - but it didn't make anything easier.

He traced around with his digits, up from the banister, sliding along the peeling walls before resting again on that same damned spot. He was obnoxious, he was obsessive, but for some odd reason he could not get that one girl out of his mind. He didn't quite understand it, but ever since his conversation with Cercelee, he knew what he had to do.

Pushing past the door, Khaden lunged past the door and out into the borders. He had lapped and overlapped, wondering which direction he should go to now. Shadowed Sun was far enough away from Twilight Vale that it was no small venture and there was no sure way of knowing that Ember was truly there. But suddenly, he knew, he didn't have to go there, because she was here.

Turning, his body suddenly coming to close range of the femme. "Ember... I... I need to talk to you."

He seemed to appear out of nowhere. One second she was heading inside the lands, the next he was right there in front of her. It did make her happy to see him, for some reason; maybe it was the knowledge that she wouldn't have to face this predicament alone. She didn't want to join Twilight Vale, to leech off of Naniko again, but she wasn't sure if she'd have a choice this time.

She came closer, nudging his cheek in greeting. "I came here to talk to you, too. Shadowed Sun is gone...Pilot and Tayui decided to disband it."

The nudge, the small body language seemed to make Khaden thrive to be around her, and he nodded, dipping his head in a response before he truly took in what she said. Shadowed Sun disbanded as well? He couldn't believe it. Vaguely he wondered if it was all some conspiracy, but at the same time, he pushed it aside. That was not his business.

The whole thing had turned his world upside down, and furrowing his brows he gave out a sigh, turning to the skies for some sort of advice. "Twilight Vale too." Turning to Ember, he dropped his head. "I feel so lost Ember."

From what she knew, the pack was flourishing. Large! Why would Naniko disband them like that? She had thought that she'd known her adopted sister fairly well...but this just didn't make sense to Ember. She had heard that Conri was gone, that he had left the pack, but was that really enough to make Naniko make a decision like this? What, she couldn't lead the pack by herself?

Ember frowned, thinking this over. "So we're homeless now." She said. "Shadowed Sun was already a small pack when I joined it, but I didn't think things would get this bad. They didn't disband by choice...only because we didn't have enough members for the entire pack to last through the winter." She sat down next to him, still thinking. "Either way...I'm glad I ran into you."

The necklace that he'd made her was still hung around her neck, alongside another chain that had a white shark's tooth hanging from it. Ever since she'd gotten her cast put on Ember had been stuck in her optime form, unable to shift down, so she had made some use of her time in it. The shark's tooth she had found near the water, and the wire and chain she'd found in the human city with Laurel.

"I had something to give you, too." She pulled the thin chain from around her neck, holding it out to him. "It's what...friends do. Give each other things that they think they'll like"

Homeless. Heh. Khaden thought that he would never be homeless again. After he had finally put his foot down about Conri, he swore to himself that he would follow his brother through the thick and the thin - and now look what he had gotten himself into. A cheating mate, he had preformed a rape, and god knows what else since he snapped and lost his mind.

He had heard offhandedly that Shadowed Sun was small, but it never really hit him that it could disband as well, but he didn't dwell at it at all because of Ember's endng remark. Looking at her questioningly, he suddenly was very aware of the two necklaces that hung around her neck. One, he noted with blushing pride, was his, something that he had worked on for about a week to craft. The second, he noted with a bit of green jealousy, was unfamiliar, and didn't know where it came from. Did someone else give her a necklace?

But it was her words, her actions, that completely dismissed the initial thoughts as she held the necklace out... for him. Watching her as she repeated words that sounded so strangely familiar to him - as if they came from his mouth instead of hers at one day, he laughed and accepted it, before grasping her hand in his.

He watched her, green eyes upon green as he realized that what he had discussed with Cercelee was something that was very much pressing. "Ember..." He said, unsure of himself and his actions, but what he felt could not be ignored. "Ember... I love you."

She grinned, clasping the necklace around his neck. She wasn't sure if necklaces were really the right thing for guys...if guys even wore them or not. She'd seen pictures of human women wearing necklaces, and sometimes men...but it had looked like necklaces weren't the norm in human society. But this wasn't human society, and he looked happy that she'd made him a necklace as well...which, in turn, made her happy too.

She had always considered Khaden as someone who lived in a different pack, but now she was very aware of one thing--that they both were now loners and that they were alone. They'd been alone before, of course, but usually someone else showed up...or there were others around. So they weren't really by themselves. But right now they were completely set apart from anyone else. These weren't even packlands any more.

For a split second she felt the urge to run, fear at what he was about to say. If it was something bad, then she was afraid to hear it...and if it was something good, she wasn't sure if she could handle hearing it. She wasn't a good friend, hadn't been. This necklace didn't change what she had done to herself, done to him. In hurting herself she'd realized that she had also hurt him a lot...and she couldn't fix that.

But what was this? Love? How could someone like him have feelings for somebody like her? She didn't know what to say, what to think. What was love? Feelings, emotions...but he loved her. He loved her. "Khaden...I..." She trailed off, looking to the side, then back up to him. "I don't know if I'm capable of it. Love. I've seen what it does to wolves. Look at what happened to Pilot--his mate died...and with Naniko and Conri. What if we mess it up? I don't even know if I...I don't know."

"All I know is that whenever you're around, I feel light and happy. You've always been there for me. And...I want to stay with you forever."

He was loosing her. He could feel it. Grasping onto her hands, he didn't know how to regain it, but he knew he had to do something. Her talk, her speech, he continued to shake his head. Dying was something out of their control, but Naniko and Conri was something else. He knew Ember, he knew she couldn't hurt him like Naniko had hurt Conri, and even if she did, he knew that he would never do what Conri had done to Naniko.

Shaking his head he looked pleadingly at her, before listening to her last words, and his eyes lit up again, knowing that there was a chance. Bringing her close, he moved so that he would have exact height with her eyes, feeling so intimate, so close to her, he knew that he wanted this to last for an eternity. "I feel the sameway Ember. That's why we should be together."

Feeling his arms move to embrace her, he furrowed his brows and whispered. "That's why you should be my mate."

She was an honest wolf; she didn't believe in lying or tricking people. So she'd had to tell him the exact, honest truth...what she thought. She did want to be with him, but she was afraid. If they did this...then it would be for certain, and forever. Ember always dove into things head first, and put her entire heart into them, and she wanted to make sure that this was what they both wanted before she did that with him.

"We're both old enough...we can. Be mates. I...you know what you're getting into here, with me. I think you're the one who knows me the best, even more than my mother. So if you're asking me this, I know you're sure about it. And I am, too. Let's stay together."