I can smell the ocean air.
[html]

Empusa.

indentThe sounds of the ocean waves were comforting as Faolin laid in the warm sand. It was funny, no matter how much snow or how could it got, the sand always stayed somewhat warm in the winter. It was soothing and she let the heat fully envelop her. Faol had risen early, offering to help out on border patrols so Gabriel could take somewhat of a break from all of his duties. She wished she could help more, but there was not much for her to do. Taking care of Kaena's brood, along with Empusa. They were a great bunch of kids, but it was extremely tiring. She never complained though.

indentHappy to just have the rest of the morning to herself, she started to think of the coming winter months. It was only November and it was freezing, it would only promise to get colder. It was a good thing Faolin's winter coat had decided to grow in early. Her fur was thick, silky to the touch. Red eyes darted up along the coast for any familiar faces, it didn't seem as if any of the puppies were playing on the beach. She wondered what else she could do to help around.
indentFaolin rose to her feet and started off up along the beach. Paws carrying her forward through the land she knew better than she knew herself. She could walk these lands with her eyes closed. Ever since Segodi had let her back in, she had only left on short departures, but had always returned. She wondered if she would stay within this places until the day she died. It was a strange thought, because so many of the members that she had thought would stay forever had left her. Segodi was back, but it was not really him. Someone else had taken over him. Tears stung her eyes, and she stared out at the ocean, lost in thought.

[/html]
Ever since the clan hunt she had been practicing.

Empusa crept along the outer area of the beach, keeping her belly low to the ground. She had to look silly, scooting along like that, but it was the only way she was going to be able to capture the bird. She’d followed it all the way here, stalking it closer and closer to Inferni. She’d found the bird on the outskirts of the human city, a ways away from here, pecking at some spilled grain on the ground. It was an interesting looking animal, with glossy feathers and an orangey ring around its neck. It had yellow eyes and a longer tail, which moved from side to side as it walked.

She was sure that it could fly but for now it was only running, its little feet leaving prints in the half frozen ground. She was getting it closer to the sandy area, planning on trapping it near the water. If she could get it all the way to the ocean, it would have nowhere else to go. She continued following it, keeping her red eyes focused. It bobbed to the right, and she took the opportunity to get behind it, running behind it to chase it closer to the water. They were on the actual beach part, now, where she was master. The birds’ feet sank into the sand, and it began to get more and more tired with each step.

Empusa was only a little smaller than the pheasant that she was stalking, but she had a good set of teeth. If she could get it to slow down enough so that she could catch it, or if she could get it over to the water, she could grab a hold of it. She didn’t’ notice Faolin sitting a little ways away, she was so focused on getting the bird toward the waves.
[html]
mall-caps;">Table by Hilli

Blah, 'Souls is hurting me because I can't post in some of my threads. :/

Faolin had been keeping quite busy lately. It seemed that the coyotes that wanted to join were few in number. She had expected a bit more than this by the time November came in. Maybe there was going to be a couple more to join later on. The winter was already getting rough and it would not be too long before a blizzard would hit or something would happen to drive all the prey from the lands forcing them to travel elsewhere. Food was already scarce, they had been lucky to catch the deer that they had during the pack hunt.

Just then a bird came scuttling down the beach in what seemed to be a hurry. Why didn't it fly off? Maybe its wing was broken just like that bird she had tried to help out the day she met Asterio. She had lifted up a paw to chase after it, but froze in mid step as Empusa ran down the beach after the small bird. A smile crept upon her face and the bird was heading somewhat towards her, maybe the two of them could pin the bird. It seemed Empusa was trying to get it closer and closer to the beach.

The girl flicked her ear with amusement as she watched the Inferni youth take off after the bird. She had been practicing quite hard, it seemed she was more and more tired after coming home every night. Probably chasing after birds like this all day.

[/html]
[html]The bird was giving her a real workout; she panted as she chased along after it. It wasn't until Faolin moved that she noticed the older coyote, the matron-figure in her life. She grinned, motioning toward the phesant with her head, not taking her eyes away from the tricky bird. "It's very fast..." She shouted between breaths, though she probably needn't have shouted; she was soon within a few feet of Faolin.

She wondered if Faolin would try to help her or coach her; either one would be welcomed, really. She did like doing things by herself sometimes, but other times she would admit to needing some help. "Should ve chase it into ze water? Zat is what I was thinking"[/html]
[html]
mall-caps;">Table by Hilli

Sorry for the wait luff. <3

"Yes, try and chase it towards the water," she barked loud enough for the youth to hear over the roaring of the ocean waves and hopefully not scare the bird into flight. It did not seem too perplexed about the pup chasing it, but maybe it was just because of the angle she was at. Faolin rose to her feet, and watched the girl chase after the bird. Grinning, Faol remembered the days of when she was younger, chasing the gulls down the beach with Nyika and Teddy.

Faolin circled around the girl to pin the bird in it's place. There was really no where else it could go. A small patch of the sand was raised and now it was pinned between the water on both sides and the two coyotes on the other. "Pounce on it now, get your mouth around its neck," she nodded her head towards the bird, ready to take it down if it did intend to fly off. Maybe it's wings were broken? What was wrong with it?

[/html]
[html]Before, when she'd been chasing it, she'd had a strategy. It seemed that the bird would run away if she was a certain distance away from it, as long as she didn't get any closer. So she'd chased it and chased it, non-stop, keeping a certain amount of distance between them so that it would not try to fly. It seemed that every time Empusa got within that certain distance the bird would get antsy, and start to run a little bit again. Then it would stop, look around, peck at the ground a bit. And she'd go back up to it. And it'd run a little bit aways again. And so this had continued until now.

Now that the bird was blocked off, and had nowhere to go, it was starting to use weapons it hadn't had to use before. Wings. Claws. Empusa tried to get near it but it flapped at her, going toward the ocean then turning back around when it realized that it couldn't get out by going that direction. Faolin instructed her and she crouched down. Her legs sprung her toward the bird, and she grasped it high up on its neck, pulling it down. She shook her head with the neck still in her mouth, her teeth embedded deep in it. Blood squirted out of the neck, all over her face, getting into her eyes. She let go of the bird, shaking her head back and forth to try and get rid of the burning sensation.

"ahh--owch. Ze thing got me" She would go dunk her head in the ocean, but then she'd get salt into her eyes, too. [/html]
[html]
I want something good to die for
omg. new table. I absolutely love. <3

To make it beautiful to live
Faolin studied the girls movements with interest. She started to grow a bit nostalgic as she remembered her own childhood. She missed running along the sands of Inferni with her siblings and Segodi, her father. Catching fish and finding that necklace on one of the rocks along the beach. She still had it, kept it tucked in a drawer with many other things from her past. Empusa did not have any siblings, nothing to share these special moments with. Faolin could not imagine what it would be like to grow up with others around her age. Nyika and Tedros had been a bit older than she was, but they all still got along well.

Empusa's cry brought her crashing back down, the female coyote dashed over to her quickly. Realizing what the problem was Faolin ran her tongue over Empusa's eyes to remove the blood. The seagul lay beside them dead, but getting blood in your eyes did sting like hell. Another lesson she had learned, it was hard to not get the blood all over your face though. The seagul was probably covered in sand so it would make it all the more worst. When Faolin made sure that she could no longer taste the blood she stepped back to get a better look at the girl. "There, you should be fine, darling." Faolin smiled tilting her head to the side. She gave an extra lick on the girls forehead before tossing her head towards the upper part of the beach where they could spend the rest of the day.

"I caught a rabbit earlier that I hid up the beach a little while ago, bring that bird of yours and we can go eat!" Faolin had not ate the rabbit just in case one of the pups would be hungry, but she had gotten sidetracked and decided to spend some time on the beach. This would be a perfect opportunity for the two of them to talk some more. Faolin enjoyed the little girl's company and now that she was growing much older she was enjoying it more and more.

[/html]
[html]

ooc: I love yours! And the avatar is really really cool, too! I wish I could do avatars like that; I made this table and avatar and they're okay for now, because I really don't like rping without a table...but your stuff is always so cool <3 I'm jealous!

secretly falling apart

Pain, then a warm feeling over her eyes. The pain was ebbing away a little bit at a time, and after Faolin stepped back she felt like it would be okay to open her eyes. If she'd have had fingers she would have tried to wipe them off for herself, but the girl hadn't mastered shifting yet. She hadn't even tried, really. Maybe Faolin would be a good person to ask about that; Empusa was terribly curious about it. Had Monet been able to shift? She couldn't remember.

She felt a shock go through her. She couldn't remember Monet! White, her mother had been white. And very big. She didn't want to forget about her; she tried for a few moments to remember something, anything, and came up with a few scattered memories. Her and mom running around through the city...her and mom meeting a scary monster in the subway system. Those were the two things that really stuck out. It scared her that she might forget about her mother, about how she'd lived with her. Enjoyed her company. She missed her a lot sometimes, sometimes so much that she didn't think she could bear living in Inferni another minute. She wanted to go out and search, search until she either found Monet or was satisfied that she was no longer alive.

Inferni was her home now, the place Monet had told her to go and live. So here she would stay. But that didn't stop the irrational feeling that there was something she was supposed to be out there doing that she wasn't doing.

She looked up at Faolin when the matron spoke, realizing now that her eyes were clear. "Thank you very, very much! I could not see" Faolin had been the first one that she'd met here in her new home, besides the leader. The one that, for reasons unknown to her, had decided to try and help her out. She was as much of a mother to Empusa as Monet had been; even moreso, in some ways. But, she now realized, she didn't know a lot about her. Either of them about each other, really. "Of course!" She picked the sandy bird up by its neck, unsure of how else to grip it, and started to drag it up the beach. She'd get to talk to Faolin over dinner, maybe...she'd ask her everything.

[/html]
[html]
I want something good to die for
I LOVE that table you made! I just love the colouring and I wish I could do that thing with the program I have.. I'm not sure what it is called, but leaves a little pattern over everything. >_>

To make it beautiful to live
Before Faolin had left to search out Asphyxia memories of her mother had slowly slipped from her mind. She did not know how, but it had been gradual. It was to the extent that Faolin could barely remember her mother's fur color and then all of a sudden a bunch of memories would sweep back in only to start disappearing even faster. Her mother looked much different than she had remembered her. Much more bigger, but then again the last time Faolin had saw her was when she was a puppy. Faolin had grown fast, and she had her mother's physique, although they stood about the same height, give or take a few centimeters.

Faolin had realized just how little she knew about the girl before her, she had taken care of her, but did not really want to pry into the girls life. Just in case she did not like it, she wanted to wait for the time to be right. Faolin knew little facts about her, like how she came to Inferni - but she knew that through Gabriel mostly. She really liked the girl and hoped that she would stay around for another while yet because she had started to grow attached to the girl and started to feel like she was her own daughter.

Quickly, she made her way up the beach. The girl stalled for a moment and dropped her muzzle behind a bush and brought out a fat rabbit. She scanned the beach with her red eyes. Noting a particular spot, she started to head in the direction and quickly came upon it. She dropped her body into the sand easily, and patted a spot beside her with her tail and motioned for Empusa to come forwards. She dropped the rabbit between her front legs, giving it a couple licks before speaking. "Come sit over here with me, we can have some little girl talk!"
[/html]
[html]

ooc: Hahaha. Actually, since I don’t have any programs, to get this effect I just save it in Paint as a .gif file. It says “blah blah blah, there may be some color distortion” and you click “yes”, and it does that to it!

secretly falling apart

She waited for Faolin to get the rabbit, then dragged the bird over to where the older female sat. Her food was a little sandy, but it wouldn’t hurt her. She was used to eating a little bit of sand with all of her food. It didn’t add any flavor, or anything, but now the texture of it was familiar enough that she didn’t notice it when she ate it.

Empusa had never heard of a girl talk before, and wondered about what it could mean. Was it that they would talk about girl things? Or did she just mean that they, two girls, were going to talk? Her grasp of English was fairly good, but she understood the mechanics of her native language much better. Some things in English were lost to her.

”A girl talk? What is that?”

[/html]