open your eyes
It had been quite some time since the male's paws had stepped onto these lands. The scents and sounds were almost familiar, yet he knew time had changed the place. It had taken him far too long to return back to these lands but what he'd left behind had been hard on the boy's heart and he'd needed time to clear his mind and discover just who he was. He'd taken enough time to do that but he'd discovered along the way that who he was would always be changing as he grew and developed.

The capaccino and ebony male knew that his sister would have return back to the homelands oneday and the one of them should have already been within the lands. He stared out across the lake that once he knew as home. Paw by paw step by step he moved across the bank, wondering if he could still remember just where the den resided. A slim smile spread across his lips as he thought about his sisters and wondered if they would have stayed within the lands or ventured forth to discover what the rest of the world held. He doubted that they had ventured far if anywhere at all, but sometimes those you thought you knew could surprise one.

He leapt down off the bank and set his nose to the sandy shore. Quickly he raised his muzzle up when he realized he was catching the scents of a pack that seemed to have moved into the lands. Worry creased his brow as he hoped that those that claimed the territory were peaceful, or atleast willing to ignore strangers snooping around the edges of their territories but respecting the bounderies. He thought he had caught a scent that seemed like a memory but he wasn't for certain, lowering his nose to the ground again he tried once more.
[html]

The scent was growing stronger and Adelaida’s heart was beating faster. Although the masked female could pick this scent out of hundreds, she did not quite believe her own nose. It had been caught on the wind, just the faintest whiff and Adelaida had spent the last two and a half hours tracking it. Still, although the scent filtered through her nostrils and her brain told her, that indeed Sankor was here, she couldn’t quite allow herself to feel anything. Not just yet. Alexey had returned, and while she had felt an immediate sense of relief and joy at that, now she was in constant sorrow because of her sister. Sankor, however, Adelaida did not believe Sankor would let her down. He had always been the one to make peace between the sisters during their childhood squabbles, he had always been the confident growing up and into adulthood. And although he had not been their for their father’s death, Adelaida knew he too would make her feel better about that. As soon as she found him.

Like magic his figure appeared before her and Adelaida stopped short. Sankor looked the same as the two year old remembered him looking. There was no doubt about it, her brother was truly standing before her and Adelaida didn’t quite know what to do. Alexey and her had been waiting for this, talking of it since their own reunion, and now that the third member of their litter was here Adelaida was at a loss. Perhaps part of her hadn’t quite thought Sankor would return, the wanderlust in his blood had always been much stronger than that of his sisters and so coming home might never have crossed his mind. But he was here, and Adelaida struggled to find her voice. Sankor? Have you really come home? Ade waited for the male to turn around and notice her.

[/html]
The cocoa male with the midnight flecked pelt hadn't expected his mind to wander in the middle of his search for the lost siblings he'd assumed would have returned to their homeland.. nor had he believed that one of the girls would have caught him out first. He'd always been the best at tracking and stalking, it probably came with his wanderlust, but when the soft voice of Adelaida met his ears the boy's head whipped around quick as day, a slaphappy grin spread across his maw, his answer already falling before he caught sight of her. "I'm home, I knew you two couldn't manage forever without..." The sight of her scarred figure made the goofy look drop almost instating from his face as the last word faultered on his lips. "..me..."

He took two steps towards his sister as concern rang in his eyes as his words came out with a soft whine. "Oh.. Ade.." He had no clue what pains had falled upon his sister but it hurt him to see her beautiful pelt marred so. Guilt washed over him as he realized he should have never left.. though they both had known he could never have stayed in that moment of time. He lowered his gaze for a moment as the silence filled the space between the two of them.
[html]

The voice was Sankor’s. The word he spoke were those of her brother, and Adelaida broke into a quick run and rushed at the male, her tail wagging for the first time in months. Despite his obvious concern at her appearance, Adelaida was overjoyed to see him. Sankor would fix everything, she was sure of it. The soft murmur of her name, so sorrowful from Sankor’s lips, sounded so sweet to the wolf, and though she was too happy to see the male once more and did not wish to think of her injuries or how they had happened, her brother did deserve an explanation. Sankor! Don’t worry... they are worse than they look, now at least. I had an unfortunate fun in with some coyotes... shifters actually... And it’s not been the first. These lands aren’t like they were when you left them.

Indeed, so much had changed, and Adelaida wanted to pour everything out to the male. She didn’t quite know where to start, there was so much to tell. Their birth den, now in the control of a pack Crimson Dreams, formally in the territory of Twilight Vale, the clan of coyotes that had taken up residence in the waste (where Katanka had forbidden them to play as children), the strange shifters and the wolves that migrated from Europe with them... there was so much. Yet Adelaida could only think of the one aspect that bothered her most: Alexey. Sankor would want to know that his other sister was alive and well at any rate. Alexey came back too. She... ah well, she had taken up residence in a pack, Dahlia de some such, but her and I aren’t on the best of terms... we can go see her though... when you want. Or you can. Adelaida would follow her brother if he wished it, but she did not look forward to another showdown with Alexey.

[/html]
When his silbing had ran full force towards him his voice broke into a small flight of laughter as he pressed his forehead against her's before nuzzling against the ruffle along her cheek and sighing softly. His voice was soft but filled with reassurance as he agreed in his own way. "The whole world's changing Adelaida." He tilted his head back to look at the girl as he said gently. "You stand still too long and she'll leave you far behind." He knew, when he'd first set out across the lands in wander he'd balked at everything and the world just kept moving around him, ignoring his foolish reactions to what was slowly becoming common in his eyes. There was nothing holy anymore, nothing he could treasure, except those two girls he'd once left behind.

Sankor moved back a step or two for a moment as he shook his head and asked. "Well let me take a look at you then.. I'm not for certain if you're the same runty little Ade I once knew." The news that she was pouring out to the male was all too much all too soon and he soon found himself laughing again as he shook his head and pleaded with her. "Hold on, hold on.. let me catch my breath.. or atleast try and take it all in." He couldn't help but grin though he could tell that the words that his sister had spoken seemed to upset her a bit. Sankor on the otherhand didn't really see a problem with Alexey having found herself into the lands of a pack. He was rather curious about all these changes that had overcome their old home so quickly.. and wondered just what had drawn the girl away from her family.

Looking off towards the distant lands Sankor shook his head as he stated. "I'd like to see all these changes myself.. I'm sure it can't be all that bad sis.." He was trying to reassure her.. but then he hadn't been here when she had. He didn't know what troubles she'd run into and where these new territories and borders began and ended. He knew they were things he'd need to know about this old world turned new if he was to stay here with his sibling(s). Turning his green flecked eyes towards Ade he smiled that gold boy smile, "We'll find Alexey and everything will be like it once was.. you'll see." He could see beyond the changes that took place, and in his eyes as long as they were together it was.. just like old times, he hoped that she too could come to understand.
[html]

Adelaida shook her head at all Sankor said. It was great to hear his voice once again, the tone had a very soothing effect on her, and so despite the fact she disagreed with what he said (or perhaps just did not like the truth in it) she did not grow anxious or angry. Merely she tried to reason with him, something Adelaida hadn’t done in a while– reason with anyone. You don’t understand. She already has left me behind. She... Alexey promised to stick with me. We were going to form a pack together, no shifters. Just normal wolves, but she left and joined them without even telling me. Adelaida wouldn’t have been as hurt if Alexey had told her first, part of her had known that Alexey hadn’t really wanted the pack Adelaida had, but Alexey had still promised, and that promise had been broken. Lexey already left me far behind. The words came out whining, she was the runty child of their litter again, whining to Fyodor, only now their farther was dead and Sankor was the next best thing.

Adelaida sighed at Sankor’s plea for her to slow down, but she couldn’t. There was more she had to say, lay all her problem at his feet so that he could wash them away for her. Save her, as he had always done when they were children and Adelaida got herself in over her head. I.. I have more to tell you... Adelaida paused. She had meant to tell him of her, that she had changed with the times, more than Alexey or Sankor himself had, that she was different from them now. Yet the words got stuck in her throat. That thought was more painful to Adelaida now than the words that replaced them. Father is dead. Sankor had to know this sooner or later, and though Alexey should have been the one to tell him, Adelaida couldn’t help herself.

After you left home father became really ill and he wanted to go back to where he had been born, so mother, Lexey and I went with him. We stayed there for months but I left, came back here to find all these new canines all over. Alexey came a little while later and she told me that he had passed on. Mom decided to stay there... with him. Or rather his grave, as he was gone. Adelaida could still imagine their mother mourning at the grave for him, and while Alexey or Sankor might have been hurt or confused at her decision, Adelaida understood Katanka. Sighing Adelaida shrugged, the burden she carried with her was becoming lighter, but it had not been lifted. Still it would be cruel to lay anymore at Sankor’s feet, not just yet. Instead Adelaida merely stared up at her brother with her bright blue eyes and smiled sadly. I’m sorry, Kor. Whether Adelaida was sorry for the news of their parents, or because she herself was such a mess, Ade herself wasn’t sure.

[/html]
Sankor had heard the words and reasoning that his sister spoke of before, he himself had once uttered something so ghostly similar in the past. A soft smile and a soft nuzzle against his sister's shoulder as she rambled on about small sibling matters. So long ago he probably would have been right in the mists of an echo of what was happening now except with their parents listening patiently and trying to sooth each one's feelings in turn and setting their worlds right. "Did you try and follow? Did you try and see.. find out why she felt this need for such a change in her life." He smiled down at his sister as the whine didn't escape unnoticed, a soft chuckle rose from his throat as he soothingly cooed. "Ade, Ade.. so long you've stood still.. unless you take a step after her you're only going to allow her to get farther ahead." He rested his chin softly atop the masked sister's head as he sighed. He could probably see the whole scene in his head, Alexey had probably returned to seek out Ade and still hurt from the betrayal Ade probably lashed out. He'd done that too in the past.. but over time he'd grown into something changed, or yet the times had changed him.

All the jumbles of words that his sister spoke and still he would listen. He'd always been the patient one, though stubborn and sometimes set in his own ways, it hadn't been until someone pointed out to him along the way that he'd let his whole life pass him by if he didn't take that first step. It had been a scary notion, almost like the first clumsy pawprints left by a young pup but he'd made it. Surely Ade and Alexey could to. He pulled back away from Ade as all of a sudden the words seemed to drift away into one long pause. Pulling back and tilting his head to stare down at her he smiled softly, waiting for her to speak and yet as soon as the words took flight the smile faultered. He felt the soft warm memories of their family that he'd just been comparing the moments to shattered as it felt like someone had just ravaged his world like a wildfire.

Bowing his head he was silent. He knew there were tears building up inside him, ready to burst past the damn but he wouldn't let the emotions fly, not with Ade, not with Alexey. He was their stone, their fondation now, already it was obvious how Ade pleased her case and seemed to prace like a pup oncemore that she felt secure with him there.. just like the all once did with father towering over them. When her whispered apology reached his ears he flicked them forward and raised his head slightly, a single shake of his head as he tried to smile back, failing miserably as he thought of the reality of it all. Mother and father no longer leading their little packlike family, no more attempting to sneak out late at night to see if those old ears would hear them or if they'd get to chase fireflies in the meadows.

He was silent a moment longer as the memories slowly faded and the scene was replaced with his sibling before him and the lakeshore. His words were soft as he admitted. "I've seen a million changes taking place, yet I miss some of the most important times." He knew it was all foolish sentimental nonsense but he had missed moments that could never be regained... he just hoped that now the three of them could find their own nitch in this familiar yet so different corner of the great big round world.
[html]

The soft spoken words created a blanket for Adelaida, something she could wrap around herself and take comfort in. The two toned female knew that others had tried to reason with her, that they had tried to get her to see Alexey’s side of the story, and Alexey herself had tried to explain her actions, but none of it had seemed reasonable. Adelaida knew that Sankor was right, and that they others had been right as well, but she hadn’t wanted to listen to anyone else. I... I don’t want to lose her, but maybe I already have. It had been that fear that had caused Adelaida to lash out towards her sister, the feeling of abandonment that had kept Adelaida from admitting just how much she missed her sister. Yet she could be vulnerable to Sankor, she trusted him, and now that he had returned, she was no longer alone.

Adelaida watched as Sankor absorbed the bad news she had just given him. Silence for a long time, and Ade knew well enough he was struggling to internalize the information, find an acceptable way to cope in front of her. Silently the smaller wolf leaned into her brother, burying her snout in his pelt, waiting for him to break the silence. Once his voice did cut the silence, Ade pulled herself away and smiled sadly at the male. He had missed his father’s passing because he had chosen a life for himself, but yet Ade too had not been present because she had decided to return to her former life. It’s okay Kor, you know now. And soon... we’ll go see Lexey and everything will be set straight and... Adelaida paused, a sly grin appearing on her face.

Letting out a long hollow Adelaida looked back to her brother, her tail thumping the ground. Although she had left the small rodent asleep in the den where the had spent the last few nights, Pickles had taken up the habit of following her trail once he awoke and she knew that the chinchilla would appear if Adelaida summoned him. And appear he did, slowly coming out from under a bush and then rushing toward the male, inquisitive squeaks accompanying his scurrying. I assume you remember Pickles? Alexey’s pet squeaked at the sound of his name and looked up at Adelaida, as if to say Well, now that Sankor’s back, we can go see Alexey, right? Adelaida smiled down at the animal, whom had been her only constant companion as of late. When Alexey joined Dahlia de Mai, Pickles showed up and decided to stick with me... so what could I do? I don’t mind having the little fellow around. Adelaida smiled at her brother again, yes, it was a nice little reunion to be sure.

[/html]
It never would seem to amaze him that his two siblings could work him around their little fingers. If he stopped to try and figure it out he'd probably come to the conclusion that any girl could do the same to him, no one else had tried yet was the real problem. Roaming for a good part of his life had allowed him to lack certain skills in conversating and romancing, which was probably a good thing in the end. Right now though he just smiled softly at Adelaida and her hopeless repetition. "Ade, do you honestly think you're going to lose her?" he asked softly, knowing that if Alexey hadn't disappeared completely from their lives yet it probably wasn't going to happen anytime soon. She might have moved forward into the reality that had uprooted their old world, but she hadn't left them yet.

Sankor pawed at a stone in the dirt between them, rolling the rock between the two siblings as he smiled, his eyes sparkling as he asked Adelaida to pretend for a moment. "Pretend this is us now.." he asked her, and raising up and walking off a few feet he uprooted another stone and tipped it up and over. His bright eyes turned back to the girl again as he explained. "We just have to follow the trail she left us and we'll find her." He moved back to stand beside his sister, nudging her cheek with his muzzle as he murmured. "Of course, with stepping stones and trail you can't be afraid of getting wet or having to backtrack if you follow the wrong trail.." He laughed softly as he tried to encourage her. "It will be a whole new adventure.. One you could have started without me you know.." His words weren't hurtful, but truthful. He knew that Adelaida was stubborn but if he worked at it she would budge, maybe grumbling and moaning a bit but in the end they'd get where they were going.

The news that she'd delivered had laid upon his heart but the male knew damn well that he had to remain strong, if he didn't then who would. He had already appeared to have taken the first step into filling his father's paws but he doubted that he would ever be able to fill them completely. He was lost in his thoughts when Adelaida nuzzled up against him, and caused him to break the silence he smiled a weak smile as she spoke on, he wondered sometimes how the girl could remain so cheerful even when the sorrow was on the wind. He just nodded in agreement to her words, because it was all true. Sooner or later they would all three be together again that that would be that.. but that little smile upon Ade's face made him narrow his eyes as she let out that howl.

"Ade..." he threatened, he wasnt' sure if he was ready for anymore surprises, but as soon as the stormy grey furball came pelting out of nowhere and right into his paws Sankor just laughed and bent down to let the small creature inspect his face and ears. Making small whining sounds back to the creature until he was happy and content with the fact that it really was Sankor he shook his head, the feel of little paws still ghostly on his ears as he raised a brow at Ade. "I still want to know why.. Pickles.." He'd never figured out the reason for the critter's name but it had always just been one of those annoyances that he lived with.

While she had gone on and explained how the small chinchilla had ended up with her and not Alexey he smiled and turned his gaze back to the large eyed, rabbit like creature as he spoke. "Well, it looks like we're all here.. we just need to find Alexey." His ears flicked back as he turned his face to Ade, laying down in the grass along the bank to allow Pickles to crawl about on his back. "What's this pack like she joined?" he asked. He might as well learn about the gang before thundering into their lands to see Alexey.
[html]

Ade, do you honestly think you’re going to lose her? Adelaida shrugged helplessly at the question. She knew, as well as Sankor, that the honest answer was no. Furthermore, Adelaida knew that the imagined fear of her sister leaving her behind and Adelaida’s extreme reactions to it had done more to sever the link between sister than Alexey’s actions had. Although Adelaida had felt hurt, betrayed even, and those feelings persisted, Alexey had not deserved the words that her two toned sister had flung at her. I.. I miss her. It was all Adelaida could bring herself to say any further.

Instead she turned her attention as Sankor as he began to gesture and turn over rocks. Adelaida smiled at the male, whom always employed props, similes and metaphors in his explanations if he could. Speaking in his language, Adelaida ventured an explanation for the state Sankor had found his sister in. I’ve gotten myself too far off course, I can’t find my way back without you. Adelaida shrugged at him, of course, literally she could find her way to Alexey quite easily, but emotionally, if she were to patch up the wounds Adelaida had left of both of their hearts she would need a buffer, and who better than their brother? Besides, you know I don’t like doing anything on my own. It was the truth, and she would admit it, to Sankor at least. The past few months that she had spent alone, save for one rodent friend, had been a nightmare.

Smiling at Sankor’s uncertainty of Adelaida’s actions, she broke into light laughter as the chinchilla danced about the male’s feet. Scurrying up on Sankor’s back, the small hands of the creature picked through the thick pelt of his mistress’s brother till he was satisfied and curled up between the shoulders of the large predator. Adelaida smiled at the antics of the two, they naturally got along, and the three of them made a jovial group. Indeed all they were missing was Alexey and then it would be just like when they were young. Shaking her head at Sankor’s question, she shrugged. They are... luperci. At least, some of them were, and that was all Ade had bothered to learn about the pack mates of her sister. Adelaida assumed that Alexey had friends in the pack, but Ade didn’t know much more than that. The pack is where those two towns are... you know. All the human buildings, the vineyards? I think the pack lives in the buildings as they were human. Ade shuddered, the thought still nauseated her, but she tried to keep her insulting monolog to herself.

[/html]
Sankor smiled at his younger sibling as she finally came to the conclusion of it all. The simple words that always seemed so hard to say when siblings had been fighting. He could have said 'I told you so' he could have made her feel even more guilty than she already did.. or even lonelier, but that wasn't the male's way. Patiently and slowly he would draw it all from her and in the end the soothing words and manners would bring the arguments and fighting to a simmer and like mother and father before they would both be equally coddled and cooed over until both girls came to the same decision, that they were sorry and how much they missed one another.

The two toned male would have made an excellent father if he actually had any thought in his head on settling down, but the wanderlust was just exhausting from his body but he was far from lounging in the sun and tumbling with puppies. The rocks he'd overturned were placed back in their places as he turned back to his sister and shook his head slightly. "You never needed my help Ade, but I'll be right here for you." he said softly. He knew that she hated to be alone, that she hated to be the odd man out.. and she knew that she had him tied up in a nice neat package and all she had to do was ask. Who would want more than a brother who beat up the bullies and played dollies as well. He knew two girls that had just that and he'd do anything to make them happy.

He was about to reassure his sibling when suddenly Pickles went about his routine dancing in small circles at Sankor's feet before starting his investigation of every inch of the wolf before settling down between his shoulders. He smiled at the critter as Adelaida laughed before her whole nature seemed to change as she turned her mind back towards the thoughts of strangers and the very workings of her own nightmares. Sankor just sighed softly and nuzzled his sister's shoulder as she seemed so upset by the strange yet simple changes in the world. He pulled away and tried to explain. "Ade, I'm sure they're not going to try and force you into their ways. Hell, they probably don't even know you're not one of them." He grinned at the girl as he admitted, knowing she'd probably be shocked, "You'd be surprised at how long you can live among them without them noticing you can't shift." He didn't want to hurt her with the truth, but he'd been out in the world, she had to realize he'd have came across shifters too, and he would have needed a friend or two along the way.
[html]

Ade shook her head but did not argue. Of course she needed him. She had always needed him, like she needed Alexey now. Only they had both been so far away and the last few months had been a smoldering hell for her. Sankor was back but Alexey was still unreachable for the two toned two year old. However, it would be fruitless to argue with Sankor on that, easier for both of them if Adelaida consented to just going to Dahlia with Sankor and finding out for themselves. If it wasn’t too late.

Leaning back against her brother, Adelaida heard the words spoken, but they did not have the intended effect that Sankor would have hoped for. It was as if he knew the truth and was mocking her. Her worst fears had already come to fruition. Adelaida was a luperci, it had been forced on her and she was suffering because of it. Adelaida felt dirty, violated, and sickened, Sankor’s words reminded her of all that. Of course though, Sankor had no idea, and it would never have been his intention to cause Adelaida unhappiness. She knew that, and so to hide the sobs that had sprung up from the words, Adelaida turned her bright blue eyes to Sankor, as if she could not control the happiness of their reunion instead of the nausea her own blood was causing her. Where have you been Sankor? Why did it take you so long to come home?

[/html]
Sankor was quiet as his sibling just seemed to lean into his larger frame. He shifted slightly to fall on his side and let her use him like a pillow, just like the girls always had when they'd been younger. Sankor missed the long nights where they'd just sit and watch the stars.. but that had been so long ago and life had taken it's toll. He smiled at the thought as he believed that Adelaida would join him in looking for Alexey within her packlands.. and if not he'd just do everything himself and bring their family crashing back together. "Don't worry Ade, leave it to me.." he said softly as he yawned and closed his eyes slightly.

When she spoke up he opened his eyes and turned the orbs towards her, a soft smile spread across his lips as he commented. "Oh, you don't want to hear about all that.." Did he even want to share it all with his sibling just yet. He knew some of the things he'd done and the places he'd been she wouldn't understand.. or wouldn't want to. The only male of their litter sighed as he turned his eyes towards the sky. "It's really more the point of where haven't I been..." he finally said as he stole a glance back to the girl, just to see if she was almost to the point of wanting to kill him.
[html]

MAKE NEW THREAD FOR ADE TO FREAK OUT ON SANKOR!!! NOW. Ade only has two threads going right now and it’s pathetic! We can end this one I suppose!

Adelaida chose to ignore the way Sankor avoided her questions. Where hadn’t he been? He had been everywhere in these lands, so if he wished to experience somewhere new, why had he returned? Of course, Ade wouldn’t voice this out loud, if Sankor left her now she would be more shattered than she had been before. To have a sense of security once again and then to have it pulled out beneath her, it would be unbearable. Or perhaps Sankor did not speak physically, but rather mentally or emotionally. Where hadn’t he been yet in his life? Either way, Adelaida wouldn’t push him, not anymore tonight. Instead she simply sighed and closed her eyes, giving into her big brother as she was adapt to do as a child. Sankor knew best, at least most of the time. Okay Kor… okay. Adelaida would leave it up to Sankor, and he would make it all better. He always did.
[/html]
He began to hum softly a tune he'd heard upon his travels, his eyes seeking the sky above as his sister gave in. Her soft voice the only words that broke the lapping of the water along the shore. The musical lull that was drawn out of him was a lonely sound, like the howl of a loner on the wind. The two themselves though together now were just that before. The lonely and alone, horrible though that state may be was it worse to belong, to have friendship and comfort where monsters may lay.

The soft hum deep in his throat soon drew to a close as a soft sigh escaped his lips. He'd left the life of the roamer behind yet this world he'd entered in seemed tougher than what he'd left behind. To hide his knowledge of their ways, to have held friendship with those beasts, those monsters she saw when they were shifted. Anyone and everyone could have been one.. and yet you might live your whole life loving one.. and never know. He could see the terror she saw when what was seen was not what it was.. but he lived with it just the same.. he only wondered if she could.