no sunshine here
[html]
i r slowsauce D: also, the quality here is somewhat lacking; i apologize

It had been one of those days where the sun never showed up. Logically, Festivity knew it was there, providing a relative warmth to the deepening season, but the local star remained curtained behind grey rolling clouds for the whole day. She had been exploring the mountains to the north and east during the past tenday, and only yesterday found her way back down to the seaside lowlands. The mountain air had been refreshing, but she had quickly discovered that this was the wrong season for elevated travel. She and Valrian had not climbed too high after one close call, but vowed to return when the season broke in the spring. Today the hybrid and her avian companion were hungry and weary, and needed a day to relax and recover.

They slept in late, sheltered in a long-forgotten fisherman's shack through which the wind whistled urgently. The gusts died down toward morning, which led the way for fog to accumulate. It would last most of the day. On a rocky outcrop with a makeshift fishing pole, Festivity spent much of the afternoon. The season for the best fishing had past, but she ended up with food to spare. On a sandy hovel sheltered from the wind not far from the sea, Festivity built a bonfire made from driftwood. She cleaned the fish and laid them on a large flat stone next to the fire to cook. Valrian flew down and reclaimed his spot on her shoulder, and she leaned back into the folds of her cloak to watch the colored fire burn.

[/html]
Pfft, it was fine!
[html]
let the dogs bite at your ankles

She wasn't entirely sure what it was that had drawn her out and away from Inferni. Maybe it was the relative quiet that had come around with winter, maybe it was out of the lack of things to do. Corona didn't, or at least hadn't strayed far from Inferni in the day that had followed the cure of the illness and disbandment of Esper Hollow. She hadn't seen her father in quite some time and imagined that Jasper was sticking close to him all the same. If Laruku was with them, then Rachias was more than likely with them too. And so she let them be and focused on things right in front of her.

With a heavy blanket of snow draped across the thin strip of land they inhabited, she thought maybe winter would mean that their numbers would bolster. They didn't, and instead Inferni had more or less been reduced greatly. Faolan went away, Anselm went away, Talitha drifted about (much to her dismay) and Ezekiel turned up. Her thoughts were well organised for the most part and she no longer dabbled through the concepts of what had driven Andrezej insane, even as she passed his grave. Everything was… as it was supposed to be. She supposed.

Drifter Bay was not really a place that Corona went very often, despite its appropriate location as it branched off from the territory that Inferni occupied. It was a quaint little place, one that was likeable enough. She smelled the smoke long before she had seen the faint flicker of flames through the fog. It was something that she didn't really expect to see, but at the same time she didn't hold a lot of surprise either. At least until she started to catch glimpses of the creature who had built the fire and such a thing drew her in almost shyly, but silently.

What was a wild dog doing this far north?

let the sunshine burn your eyes
[/html]
[html]
someday, I will not take an entire month to reply to a thread D: sorry, m'dear <3

The driftwood fire crackled in hues of azure and emerald in addition to the typical rose-orange flames. Festivity regarded the shifting flames with a halfhearted appreciation. She absorbed and enjoyed the beauty rather than making any attempt to analyze the scene before her. Her mind was quiet, drifting from thought to thought with the slow abandon akin to molasses or cold tree sap. It would have been easy to fall asleep, but the cooking fish required attending from time to time. She prodded them absentmindedly and willed them to cook faster. Her stomach was rumbling and Valrian shifted uneasily on her shoulder, a sure-fire signal that he was quite hungry as well.

Thus occupied, Festivity very nearly missed the approaching company. Indeed, with the smoky fire blocking the more sensitive functions of her nose, it was the bird's sharp eyes that noted the moving shadow. Unwillingly more alert now, she called out hesitant but bold "Hello?" into the early evening air. She squinted against the glaring firelight, trying to pick out the distinction the mynah had just noted.

[/html]
I'm not much faster despite being around constantly. 50% of my time both offline and online is spent staring at the things I should do.

[html]

Through a smokescreen of literal smoke and fog, Corona picked out the colours and more importantly, the bird that rested on her shoulder. It was uncanny to see such a creature this far north, but oddly welcome given all that she had seen. Species were spreading out and becoming more foolhardy against the different elements. A wane smile appeared on her face briefly, before disappearing as she brushed a loose strand of hair aside and returned the inquiry-slash-greeting.

“Hello,” and her eyes started to roam the figure that had revealed itself, “the smell of smoke drew me in. I didn't mean to intrude.” Basic appearance aside, it was the mynah that grasped her attention; stark white and very much unlike the inky raven Gabriel possessed. She hovered between coming closer and keeping her distance, but pressed with the matter of conversation. “What brings you to a place so far north?” There were countless reasons, but she decided not to speculate over them, let alone follow the atypical dance of “hello, and this is my name.”

[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v160/ ... ingfel.jpg);background-repeat:repeat-y;background-color:#22316C;">

someday, but apparently not yet. sorry dahling.

Your voice is all I hear somehow;
Calling out winter

"You're not intruding at all. You're welcome to share the fire, if you'd like. It takes a bit of the edge off the chill." Festivity had a rather risky habit of inviting perfect strangers in to share in her fires, meals and fellowship. There had been a handful of close calls and she had become wary, but persisted in the practice all the same. Danger was not the norm, and in any case it was better than spending an evening alone. These long winter nights passed so slowly, made worse by the cold to which she was still quite sensitive. Any distraction, even a potentially dangerous one, was welcome.

"Any number of things. I was raised in a caravan and so you could say that traveling is in my blood. When I left home, the habit continued. I've been in the area a while though." Festivity leaned forward to poke the baking fish, causing Valrian to shift uneasily in the increased heat. The firelight gave the african hybrid a first good look at her would-be companion, a tawny figure nearly as small of stature as herself. "Are you hungry? The fish is almost finished." There was more than she could eat by herself, anyway. Valrian wasn't entirely keen on sharing but knew better than to complain or, like an errant child, he'd get nothing at all.

Thinking of winter;
Your name is the splinter inside me.

[/html]
[html]
She dwindled in a little closer, but did not make herself overly welcome. Corona did not have many intentions just yet of staying long. Still, out of what travelling she had done, she was quite curious of the cousin canines from far and wide. Unlike her father, she had never gone to Africa. “No, but thank you anyway,” she said to the offered fish, smiling slightly. “Many who come through here are of the travelling sort, though. But usually wolves and coyotes, maybe the occasional fox. Did you come from Africa?” Even though she was definitely a wild dog of that sort, she thought it better to ask than assume. After all, they had migrated back to where they had once gone extinct, so why wouldn't others?
[/html]