Walking through the slush (joining?)
Cold and wet, wet and cold, the weather was not being very cooperative. It wasn’t quite rain and it wasn’t quite snow. It was just slush and it was soaking Kasch to the bone. His mother used to tell him stories about the sunny place she had his father had come from. On days like this, they seemed little more than a fairytale. Still, they were all the young jackal luperci had to keep his spirits up now.

Being only ten months old, the youngster wasn’t really old enough to be out on his own. There was no way he was going back to his home den though. He’d taken his father’s abuse as long as he could. If he stayed any longer, his chances really wouldn’t be much better than they were on his own.

He didn’t plan on staying alone for long, though. On the day he left the den he’d been born in, Kasch pointed his nose in the direction his parents had always told him was the way to the borders of the Phoenix Valley pack and didn’t look back. It was the closest pack territory to his old home, and so it was the one he had the best chance of reaching alive.

After three days of traveling, he was finally getting close. He slowed down and proceeded cautiously. Hopefully, whoever met him at the border would be in a welcoming mood, despite the miserable weather.

{ooc: Gah! I knew I was forgetting something. Oops. Well, here's the form, sorry for not putting it in here the first time.}
1. Character Name: Kasch Anubi
2. Character Birthdate (including year): 4th Feb, 2008 (or whatever the current year is IC)
3. Whether he is a regular wolf or a Luperci: Luperci
4. Gender: Male
5. Your e-mail: Kalinnightmare@hotmail.com
6. A secondary form of contact (AIM, MSN, Y!M): I have Windows Messenger, I use the same e-mail address that I gave above and my sign in name is Kalin.
7. How did you learn/hear about 'Souls?: I saw the thread for it in affiliates on Warriors; Dark Legend.
[html]
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... parrow.png);background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;">
Hiiii! Big Grin
Can you edit your joining thread to include an OOC section with the form listed under the joining section of the Policies post? I can't officially accept/rank you 'til I have that info, but I can reply anyway. Thanks ^^
wc348

--

He didn't mind rain. Well, at least he didn't anymore; since he had regained his strength and body weight over time spent in Phoenix Valley, the cold of the rain was no longer as frigid when he now was capable of life-supporting body heat. Skin and bones were hardly any help when it came to warming oneself. The rain hadn't lasted long; it had maneuvered into freezing rain and snow time and time again before returning to a simple downpour. That was enough to put Jefferson in a bad mood; he could feel the cold of oncoming winter in the bone of his waned leg, and it wasn't a pleasant feeling. Regardless, the creature was on his way to the ranch that day--the fireplace, though hard to light with only one arm, was plenty of comfort on a cold winter's day.

His coat was soaked; sure, he could have shifted to his two-legged form and moved even faster to the barn, but he supposed that there was no particular rush. Limping four-legged and trudging through the snow, he paused only to scoff up at the overcast sky and sarcastically roll his bright green eye before moving on. The borders were clear; where was Lucifer or Pendzez to be watching them? Wasn't that their duty? Hell, he always got those ranks confused. He could never remember one from another except for his own rank; he supposed now would be a good time to start learning, since he now had a part in assigning them. Jefferson figured a majority of the pack members were withdrawn from the rain that day--a wise decision, and one he was looking to follow.

That is, until his eye fell upon a stranger. The winds whipped his foreign scent in the air, making it hard to distinguish through the frigid breeze and snow mixture. Standing at a distance, Jefferson stared one-eyed at the dark-furred youngster. "Hey," he called rather loudly, intent on being heard over the whistling wind. He was frowning, as always, but his tone was more stolidly curious than grim. "What're you doing?" Simple.

[/html]
Head down, plowing determinedly through the snow, Kasch didn’t notice how close he was to the border. All he was thinking about were his numb paws and the icicles beginning to form on his fur. The rainy slush had let up a bit, but the temperature had gone down. Just when the youngster was beginning to doubt whether he’d make it to the border before his nose froze off, he heard a voice.

He jumped slightly, a bit startled, and started to assume a submissive posture out of habit. When he looked up to see where the voice was coming from, he saw a somewhat ragged looking male ahead of him. The youngster cleared his throat and tried to make his voice sound more adult and less like the pup he was.

“I’m looking for the Phoenix Valley pack, Sir. Have I found it?”

He hoped the answer was yes. It didn’t occur to him that it might sound odd to the other male to be called ‘Sir’. It was a habit that his parents had taught him and his father had insisted on from the time Kasch was old enough to speak.
[html]
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... parrow.png);background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;">
JSYK, 'Souls is real-time so it is December 2008 right now as to be expected. :3 Thanks for adding your info and your quick replies!
wc277

--

My, this one was a young one. Technically speaking, if the pups weren't included in the typical ranks, Pendzez was still the pack's youngest at hardly a year and a few months--but this one couldn't have been even a year yet. Close, maybe, but not quite. Jefferson kept his opinions to himself for the time being, peering rather simply at the creature through the twisting white winds. What an unfortunate time for someone to appear on the borderlines--not exactly an inconvenience, but it wasn't like the hybrid could invite a complete stranger into the warmth of the ranch, which was still some distance away.

"Uh," Jefferson muttered, his eye thinning at the creature. "Yeah, you've found it." It was at this point that the hybrid's precocious green eye noticed the poor stranger's stance and the brute shook his head and cleared his throat. Something in the back of his mind told him that he should adjust himself to such respect and the like--after all, he'd done it once to Deuce, though unintentional. He was a leader now; the brute guessed that was supposed to mean something, but his own opinions took charge instead. "Get up," he scoffed, taking a moment to shake his pelt clear of moisture and ice. "I'm Jefferson, the subleader... not 'sir'. Not all too fond of the bowing thing." He smiled somewhat and paused, well aware that he was unintentionally appearing a bit too cross. "Strange time for you to be hopping around on our lands. Here for a reason in this storm, I hope?" He was forgetting something. "What's your name? Are you old enough to be out here on your own?"

[/html]
Kasch flinched slightly when the big male shook himself. When he scoffed at him, the youngster had to mentally berate himself. He needed to be confident! He wasn’t dealing with his father anymore. He had to prove that he’d be a good addition to the pack if he wanted half a chance of getting in. He did his best to look grown up, fluffing his spiky, half-frozen fur to make himself look bigger.

“I’m old enough. My name is Kasch Anubi and I-I want to join the pack.”

He glanced down quickly at the blue beads wrapped around his foreleg, trying to draw some extra courage from the little piece of his mother he had with him. With winter getting into full swing, this first chance to join a pack might be his only chance. All the same, it was be killed by the elements or go back and get killed by his father. Kasch would take his chances with the elements. At least they weren’t out to get him.

{ooc: No problem, I've been starving for a good rp for awhile. I'm glad I found this place.}
[html]
You're doing pretty well so far, but I encourage you to write a little bit more in your posts... Aim for maybe 200-250 words? :3 Just a suggestion, though!
wc296

--

"Hm," Jefferson observed to himself, nodding rather stiffly. He hated the cold. For a moment disregarding the child, his one-eyed gaze turned off into the distance--the barn was still some ways away, but just vaguely within his sight. How he yearned for the warmth of the fire; he was in charge here, hell, he could do what he wanted with strangers on his land. This Kasch hadn't exactly answered his question, but the mildly amusing fashion in which he puffed his chest and took on an unbreakable stance proved to Jefferson that the boy was still young, possibly sheltered to an extent, but despite his age, well aware of the ways of the pack. Judging from the way he walked and handled himself, Jefferson decided that his travel hadn't been especially far, but the expecting look in his eyes spoke wonders of his determination of making his home there.

"Alright, kid, walk with me. Too damn cold out here to stand in one place." He shrugged, turning and stepping through the storm in the direction of the ranch. "I know you're young. You don't have to act older. Be yourself." Although the brute wasn't facing the child, Jefferson held a rather amused smirk on his face, always entertained by the wit of youth. He wondered if he had ever acted similarly, and then quickly destroyed the thought of a perky, energetic Jefferson. No doubt a frightening concept, indeed. "The pack's not huge, but we're still careful with taking folks in." The Pundit cast a one-eyed green gaze over his shoulder briefly. He figured that he might as well go over the basics, as dull as they were, for the sake of reference: "So, then, why Phoenix Valley? Got some talents or whatever that we could use?"

[/html]
Kasch let out the breath he’d been holding to puff himself up. His breath formed a little cloud in front of his face for a moment, but it quickly vanished. Well, his attempt at looking older had failed utterly, but at least the one-eyed wolf seemed more amused than annoyed by it.

The youngster lollopped along behind the big wolf, his youth even more obvious in his big paws and long legs which showed how much growing he had yet to do. He was more than willing to go somewhere warm. Though he’d been born in this climate, his family was from a long line of desert and plains dwellers. The coat he’d inherited from them really wasn’t very well suited to slogging through the snow.

As they walked, Kasch stayed silent for a few moments, pondering his answer to the one-eyed wolf’s questions. His reasons for coming to Phoenix Valley were fairly straightforward. The question about his talents, though, now that took some thought. What could he do that a pack might find useful? There was one thing that came to mind. It might be a bit of a long shot, but it was all he had at the moment.

“Well, I’ve heard good things about this place. That, and it was the closest. I’m not exactly built for snow travel. My family came from a much warmer place. Um, would storytelling count as a talent? My... my mother taught me and she always said I was good at it. I know all the stories she taught me from her old pack. I learn fast and I work hard. Um, I can’t think of anything else.”

He fell silent again. Kasch wasn’t normally quite so chatty, but he was nervous. Hopefully he hadn’t chattered the big wolf’s ears off.

{ooc: Yeah, sorry for the shortness of those last two posts. My muse was a bit dead last night. I think I've managed to revive it now though.}
[html]
Another post from each of us ought to do it. :3 And yes, Windows Messenger is fine, but we still need your contact for that, if you could edit that into your first post. ^^ I'm going to accept you now and have you ranked, but we should still finish off the thread and you should hold back on posting for threads until your title is set up and/or this thread is done. :3 Jefferson will "officially" accept him next post.
wc238

--

A smirk crossed the gimpster's face as he limped on, tail beginning to sway comfortably as he went. The youngster had put him in a sort of good mood all of a sudden; Jefferson normally managed to keep his fascination with the youth a secret, but they were inevitably delighting in their innocence. Their potential for growth gave him a warm feeling--any creature that could age and be shaped into something just and mature was fine in his book. The brute was constantly aware of his inner desire to stop youngsters from turning into creatures like himself: grim, serious, covered in scars. Sure, he had his moments of laughter and delight, but his smile was nothing compared to that of children or well-formed adults. His grin was the smile of an inner beast simply bearing his fangs.

"Storytelling... huh, that's interesting," he idly remarked more to himself than to Kasch. He took a moment to chuckle lightheartedly at the newcomer's nervous wit, but quickly suppressed it thereafter. It wasn't an image to maintain, so much as he just found snickering so uncharacteristic of himself that it became awkward. The ranch arrived in their view at a close range, and the Pundit hastily led the child closer. "Sounds like you take a lot of pride in your family," he observed, for a moment wondering how the feeling was. "I don't see why you're out here on your own, then."

[/html]
As he followed along behind and to the side of the big wolf, taking care to not get on his blind side, Kasch noticed something. The big wolf was smiling a little. That was good, wasn’t it? He wasn’t sure. For the first time since meeting the other wolf, he looked at him, really studied him, trying to figure out as much as he could from his appearance.

He was big, that was the youngster’s first impression of him. Then again, Kasch was relatively small, so his assessment of the other wolf’s size might be a bit skewed. He also had only one eye, lots of scars, and a limp. What Kasch gleaned from this assessment was just the obvious fact that the one-eyed wolf had been through a lot. Whether he’d brought it on himself or not, though, he couldn’t be sure. One could get wounds as bad as that from falling off a cliff or something nearly as easily as one could get them from fighting. He had no experience to draw on to determine whether they were battle wounds or not.

He was roused out of his study of his guide by the remark about his family. He tensed for a moment, then his ears drooped, his tail drooped, his whole countenance fell. He looked as though his world had been irreparably damaged and nothing would ever be right again. It was kind of pitiful really. His reply was muttered softly, more to himself than to the other wolf.

“Since Mother... now that she... she’s gone, I don’t have a family anymore.”

He purposely avoided mentioning his father. He didn't count as family anymore anyway. Kasch hoped the other wolf would ask. He never wanted to think about his father again.

{ooc: Ok then, thanks! I edited my first post. I think that’s the right information. I don’t use it very often, only when I know people will be trying to reach me through it.}
[html]
Welcome to Phoenix Valley! Big Grin
wc313

--

Jefferson cast a quiet, solemn look on the youngster; it was an action of pity, though such actions were rare in his case. He showed such little emotion towards adults than he did for children--adults deserved no pity, for they had years of experience to realize their mistakes or recover from trauma, but children like Kasch had only been living for a few months. His mother was dead. So it goes. His whole body seemed to sink and melt away all of a sudden, at the mere mentioning of family; Jefferson did not regret the question in the least, for it was vital information that the pack would likely need for, well, reference. As they say, admitting problems is the first step to recovering from them.

The winds whipped at his sandy pelt, thick from the shifting season. His green eye peered out clearly from the whistling white winds, suddenly stopping in his tracks. The door to the ranch house was just steps away. "There is room for you here," he said quietly, frowning but speaking with a solemn tone of voice. He meant no harm; he meant no intimidation. He'd come to Phoenix Valley when he'd had nothing left, and months later, the roles had changed. He was the subleader, the one making the decision on whether or not the child would be beneficial for their ranks when Kasch seemed to have nothing left. He nodded encouragingly. "You're stronger than you give yourself credit for," he continued. "Our starting rank is Loas, and you'll grow from there. I've seen a lot of growing here." He stifled a smirk; it was all too true. However, a smile broke through just then, and he bumped the door to the ranch house open. "You can start meeting the other members and learning the lands when this storm's over. For now, come in and warm up."

[/html]
[html]
Welcome to 'Souls!

Hey, welcome to 'Souls. You've just joined the craziest bunch of wolf roleplayers on the vast internet. If you haven't done so already, you should check out the RP Guide for detailed information about our werewolves and other general role playing information.

Now that you're accepted, you need to do two things:
___1. Make your first IC post within five days.
___2. Update your profile with a bit of background information on your character.

You can also start saving up Word of the Day points toward titles and icons and cool stuff. Check out the Open Threads and Thread Requests forum for people looking to roleplay. You can post random out of character chat in the OOC Garbage with us, too.

[/html]