No place like home
[html]

Sorry ‘tis so short! I want to get it done but I am sick and super busy with finals.

DaWali’s tribe had done it evidently. It had been a long time since he had spoken to the red wolf or his daughter and Leland had begun to believe that the tribe would just fade away. Yet here were their borders, clearly marked with the scents of the tribe members, and here was Leland, waiting patiently for someone to find him. He had let out a little call, hoping DaWali would be here, for it would be easier to explain his desire to that male than to anyone else, but so long as someone came, Leland would be content.

Bi-colored eyes strayed up to the night sky, the full moon hanging low in the sky. Although it had been warmer in the morning the temperature had been dropping all day and the light drizzle had transformed it’s self into falling flakes of snow. Leland couldn’t be more pleased with the weather, winter was always the best season. His thick husky pelt and large snowshoe paws were built for this weather, and though he enjoyed the other three seasons, nothing beat winter. Yet with winter came the New Year celebrate of his old pack, and he had vowed to himself that he would find a new home before then. If the fates warranted it, he would have one by the end of the night.

[/html]
[html]

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c13/v ... -eagle.jpg);background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom;">
you may slap me, hun Tongue

Dawali was on one of his many evening trips, pondering the changes of his life. So, he was suddenly a high-ranked member. And they were finally enough to claim the land he had hoped so much they would stay in. Also, his daughter was still here, and still o.k., although he didn't know about the other one. Too much time had passed since he saw her, and she hadn't spoken of any plans to leave. Perhaps, though, she was simply testing herself, doing what every young wolf should do at least once. Exploring - not only lands but also life itself - was necessary, but he worried nonetheless. Being a father he always would worry for his little girls, no matter how stubborn and independent and grown-up they became. When they were, they only reminded him all the more of their mother, and his worry and need for protecting them only grew. But Asha was here, and that was good. It relaxed him.

A small call reached the red male's ears and they perked skywards, picking up the various details of the sound. A male, surely, but who? Curious, Dawali immediately changed directions and walked more purposefully towards where he assumed the source to be. He wasn't expecting anyone, and the sound was familiar yet unfamiliar. Finally reaching the source and spotting the one who had uttered the call, Dawali experienced a smaller "aha-moment". Gvihita soared from his shoulder and left them; Leland was too much of a happy, generally likeable personality for her to have any fun with. Jogging lightly on two legs (as always), Dawali approached the mixed male and uttered his name as a greeting. Leland! Fancy seeing you here. Come to join me keep the women in control, have you? Strangely enough, Dawali found himself very cheerful at seeing the mix again, and since he also wasn't a female, he felt a good bit more relaxed than he normally did when forced to be social. Leland had a good influence on him, apparently.

[/html]
[html]

As had been hoped for DaWali appeared not too long after Leland had called out for him. The appearance of the male, whom he had only met once but had liked immensely at that meeting, calmed him. The rust coated male would not have to explain his purposes to a stranger, and if he was turned away hearing the rejection from DaWali seemed to be more acceptable than being turned away by one he had not met yet. The red wolf came up and Leland’s mismatched eyes brightened as he heard his name called out. So the male remembered him, which was a good sign. Even more heartening was the jest the followed from DaWali’s lips. It was as if DaWali had been expecting Leland to show up.

“Well DaWali, my good sir, that isnn’t far from the truth.” Leland bowed his head respectfully, for this was DaWali’s home and not his own, before continuing. “I’ll be straight to the point, I do indeed want to stay here… if ya will allow it.” DaWali’s talk about the tribe earlier had created a curiosity that would not leave Leland, and when he had met Asha the desire to be part of it, part of them had peaked. Yet Leland did not know if Asha was even still around, but DaWali’s greeting indicated that he was one of the few males in the tribe, perhaps the only. “So you have a lot of women running around here, huh?”

[/html]
[html]

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c13/v ... -eagle.jpg);background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom;">
and again

The mix was as polite as he had been their last meeting, but let through that he indeed wanted to join their tribe. What good news! Women made Dawali nervous, and well... there just weren't enough males. It seemed that Leland was just the kind of person Dawali could like, and he seriously needed someone to recreate with. The red furred male perked his ears upwards and felt his tail move in a slow curve behind him, ever so happy that the mix had ended up here to join them. A smile rose in his face, but he decided not to make it too much of a happy look, overkill could scare Leland away. Hell, it was about time Dawali had some friends, having become such a loner after his wife had died and the like. His daughters were on their own, so it was just him again now, and he needed to change that no-life of his into something better. Sure you can, Leland. I'd be happy to have you as part of our tribe.

The male in front of him was ever so polite, bowing his head and whatnot, but Dawali was certain that he would drop all of that formal nonsense as soon as they'd know each other better. Definitely. Leland followed up on his joke, and a small laugh escaped the throat of the tribe's co-leader. Hehe, yeah. Perhaps a bit too many, and the only one I can really understand is my daughter, you know. Women are strange things. A wink, and then waiting for a response.

[/html]
[html]

Leland tail began to wave behind him, he couldn’t quite control it. “Really?” A warmth spread throughout him, thoroughly pleased that DaWali trusted him enough to allow him in, so easily, so smoothly. Pleased that it seemed DaWali had the authority to allow it. DaWali put faith that Leland would be a good addition to the pack, of course Leland knew that if he proved to drag them down they could always remove him, but Leland wouldn’t give them a reason. “Thank you, to be truthful, I’ve been lookin’ forward to this place fer a while now.”

And he had. Aniwaya had been on his mind since he had met DaWali, and even more so after he had met Asha. At the thought of Asha, DaWali confirmed that she was here, or at least one of his daughters was and Leland had high hopes that it was indeed Asha, though he did not show it. Instead Leland only chuckled and grinned. “Women can be tricky creatures, ya can be sure o’ that!” Lela had been too tricky for Leland, she had slipped through his grasp. He let the thought of her slip away as well. “Err... Is ther anything I need to know about this place? Anything I should know to do…?”

[/html]
[html]

-ramble Big Grin
your table is cool by the way

It was nice to joke around, but the silliness was too true, really. Dawali seriously struggled sometimes, uncertain about how to act, how to respond. He did not harbor prejudice against the femmes, but they simply unnerved him with their presence. The female mind had always been a mystery to the male, and there were just so many.. so many. He knew his daughter, but she too was somewhat of a mystery to him after she grew from daddy's little girl to an independent woman. Of course, he was not that shy around her, and he could simply ask her to explain if he did not understand. But the other femmes... Dawali didn't want to appear stupid, and certainly not as uncertain as he really was. He was supposed to be a co-leader, not a puppy, and thus he should probably show some authority or something, but with too many of the other gender present the urge to tuck his tail in became quite heavy at times. One-on-one was ok, he supposed. But then Ayegali frightened him as well. He'd always been like that and would probably always be. One more male amongst them could only help lighten the burden, though, as he dreaded a tribe gathering. Evening out the numbers was good. Yes.

Letting the joke die, Dawali pondered for a second about what to respond with. He did not know any way of life different than the one they had, but he had picked up that some thought it unusual to have horses and the like.

Well.. You could start thinking about what purpose you want to serve in the tribe, what your task would be. If you want to do medicine, or perhaps look after the children and the like. We have numerous tasks and titles to give out. And I don't know whether you can shift, but we tend horses, so if you can shift it's probably worth it to check that out and see if you can learn to ride. Comes in handy when gathering food and stuff. Smiling, Dawali knew that it might be too much information at once, but perhaps it would make it easier for the new male to blend in. Other than that just make yourself at home. We're one big family here

[/html]
[html]

The information was absorbed and stored away for later. Though DaWali claimed they were one big family Leland wasn’t sure he was quite ready to accept that. It was a nice idea, one he hoped to adopt in time, but presently he only knew the male before him and the man’s daughter. He would meet the others, in time, he only hoped that they would be as accepting as the Amaras seemed to be. “Aye, I can shift… though ridin’ a horse might be a diff-o-rent type of story.” Leland couldn’t quite imagined himself climbing atop one of the creatures he had seen with Asha, but anything was possible, and for DaWali and Asha he would attempted it.

“Err... Well I dun’t quite know jus’ what I want to do yet.. though I’m sure I’ll be doin’ somethin’ fer the pack. Perhaps where there is most need ah’ll pick up a title.” Yes, fill in the blanks, Leland could do that, if he didn’t quite find his passion here, he’d be happy enough. “You folks live in dens er somethin’ else?” He had an itching feeling that they built their homes, but he wanted confirmation on that subject, and something else, though he felt the nervousness build as he opened his mouth to ask. “Asha is still with ya, inn’t she?”

[/html]
[html]

The male chuckled at Leland admitting that horses could be a tricky thing. The young ones born into the tribe had always picked it up rather easily once they could shift, since the horses were around and everyone else was doing it, but they'd had joiners in the past who hadn't been used to it, and it had definitely been a sight. When you got it in as a kid it was easier, but a grown person would have to work much harder. Of course, he had as much time as he wanted, and he'd have to get used to the horses as well. It'd come in time, and Dawali was not worried that his chuckle would be interpreted in the wrong way. At the moment we have no scouts. You could try that out if you want. At least then he'd know what was available. They had three members capable of medicine at the moment, and two members at the warrior rank, and Catherine had voiced her interest for scouting. Whether she wanted it and was mature enough to handle it was another matter, though, and they'd see in time. Leland probably needed a few moments to chew on everything anyways. It was a big change, joining a pack.

Surprised at the next question that Leland presented, Dawali realized he had taken their custom of self-built homes for granted. Wasn't that just natural? Although Leland seemed like a guy who didn't shift much, so it was probably more natural for him not to. It depended on how one was brought up, Dawali supposed. Ah, yes. We live in self built homes. You don't have to if you don't want to, but it's quite a bit more comfortable than the alternative if you ask me. Me or some of the other tribe members could show you how it's done if you're at a loss. He was about to mention his daughter as a continuation of what he'd just said when the mix in front of him asked of her himself. A tendency of an exclamation mark lit up in Dawali's head. So they'd met? Asha hadn't mentioned that. Although of course a girl that independent and her age didn't go telling her dad everything she did, and he didn't expect her to. Perhaps that was what had spurred Leland into joining them, and not Dawali. He had thought perhaps Leland had come here because of how they seemed to be getting along... Uncertain whether he liked this or not (none of his daughters had been around males much yet, or at least as far as he knew...), he decided to be neutral. And if Leland somehow sought the companionship of his daughter, it was ok, probably. He'd find out. Tossing those thoughts away, Dawali nodded but kept the male's gaze, interested. She is. But she's everywhere lately, with that horse of hers, so I haven't seen her much. A girl can't stick around her old papa all the time, eh?

[/html]
[html]

“Scouten’ huh? Yeah, I could try that, I could.” Scouting did have a certain allure to it, there were advantages to having that job. One was that he would get to know the lands rather quickly; another was that hopefully he would get to know the newcomers as well. It would take a little while to slip into the job, but Leland though he might enjoy scouting. No, he knew he would. Smiling to DaWali he nodded his head, as if accepting a great honor. “Yeah, scouten’ will be jus’ fine.”

And then there came the homes. Leland had been right in thinking they lived differently. Horse riding, dwellings built up from the ground, the strange job titles… Leland was determine to get use to it all, but not all at once. “I’d appreciate the help, but fer now I think I’ll just dig me out a den and that’ll be that. ‘Haps but the time I’m ready fer a dwelling I’ll have met some more of ya all to help me build it.” It was his goal to meet and befriend many members of the pack, but he knew he wouldn’t rush into it. Although since coming to the lands of ‘Souls he had met many faces, only DaWali and Slay stuck out as friends. Friendship wasn’t a thing to be rushed.

And then came the knowledge Leland had been hoping for. Asha was indeed still in the lands, though DaWali hadn’t much more information than that, or maybe he was keeping it to himself. Leland knew that he had been walking on thin ice when he blurted out the question of DaWali’s daughter’s whereabouts but DaWali took it good naturedly and Leland did not push the subject any further. It wasn’t as if anything was happening between the two of them now—and Leland would have to let DaWali know before anything did. DaWali deserved that respect. “Ah I suppose a girl can’t… though can’t say I’m speaking from experience… no children of myself ya know.” And then it was safest to change the subject away from Asha. “And err what of these spirit guides? I haven’t got one you know…” Leland had seen Asha’s and from his previous encounter with DaWali and Asha knew a little about them, but he didn’t know if he could get one and if he couldn’t how much would that keep him from being part of the tribe.

[/html]
[html]

Sure, Leland. Anything at all you need help with, just call for me, yeah?
Slowly but surely, it started to dawn upon Dawali that their tribe was more different from the other packs around than he had thought. Apparently, many did not stay shifted at all times, but the AniWaya tribe preferred that. It was self explanatory, considering most of their activities requiring hands. And then there were the houses, and the horses and the crops... It wasn't as if Dawali knew nothing about other ways of living together, but the tribe was large, and they knew of and socialized with other tribes - or at least that's what they had been doing in the past - and thus he just assumed that that's the way it was done. They were surrounded by packs that did things entirely different than them now, however, and he'd have to change his attitude, probably. But once the members that were currently dealing with harsh traveling weather got over here, the new members that weren't accustomed to how things were done would probably have quite a shock. Perhaps it was good for them if they had a little influence from the (seemingly) more primitive way of life, though. Leland seemed to have turned out alright despite probably having slept on the ground most of his life! No matter, all questions were appreciated. Dawali liked being helpful, and if Leland needed any help at all Dawali would step up and give him just that. The mix treated the title he offered him as somewhat grander than it really was, or at least that's what his body language told him, but it didn't really matter much. Everything would fall into place after a little while.

Leland closed the subject of Asha Amara, and Dawali let it pass without a word. It wasn't an uncomfortable subject, really, but it made Dawali keen to know how and why the male knew his daughter. It was just the protective gene of a father, probably. Moving on, Dawali attempted to shed light upon the process of their spirit guides. Hehe, no joiners have got to know them yet, that's all. You do have one, you just have to do the right things to meet him or her. Normally, a while after joining and settling in, joiners, or children once they reach adolesence, go on a spiritual journey to find their spirit guide. The guide may come to you at any given point of the journey, so it could last a few days or months. Once you've met him or her and gained the bond, you return to us again. Pausing to leave some space in all of the information he was feeding the male, Dawali quietly thought it was time for Aiyanna's spiritual journey soon. Had she only been around he would have fretted, making sure she knew what to do and had what she needed... He hoped she was safe, wherever she was. The bond stays for life, and just like us they tend to have very different personalities. But they normally fit their wolf, so no need to worry. You'll find out whenever you decide to go, but there's no rush.
[/html]
[html]

Almost done?

It was comforting, Dawali’s attempt to answer all of Leland’s questions thoroughly and his extended offer of help. Folks had been so kind back where Leland had come from, but since traveling it was rare to come across anyone who offered their knowledge, skills and friendship so fully to another being. This reassured him that he had made the right choice in coming here; he only hoped that the other members of the tribe were as open and helpful as Dawali. The lady he had meant in the woods had been wrong, you could act off feelings, you could know something instinctively. When he had meant Dawali and later Asha the tribe had not left him mind for a moment. He knew he was meant for it and now he was here, part of it.

Leland nodded, trying to absorb all the information about spirit guides that was being presented to him. He had one? That was news to him. Curiosity crept into Leland, listening to Dawali closely for instruction on how to uncover his spirit guide. What kind of creature would fit him? Leland couldn’t guess but he was eager to meet whoever his spirit guide was. But how to know when to take his journey? Perhaps that too would just come at the right time, he would get a feeling, he would know, and until then he would have to be patient.

Leland grinned to Dawali, bowing his head gratefully to the male. “Well Dawali, I certainly thank you for all the help and I’ll let you know if I need anything else.” Leland glanced at the area behind Dawali, Aniwaya, the pack lands the male had emerged from. Leland was eager to get to know his new home.

[/html]
[html]

Nodding, a little bit to himself but mostly to what Leland was saying, Dawali recognized his attempt to close the conversation. It came natural, and if Leland had nothing more he was wondering about, then Dawali wouldn't keep him. After all the packlands were quite large, and Leland had a pile of work ahead of him. The freshly joined male seemed content and happy for the questions Dawali had answered, or at least attempted to answer. Frankly, the red wolf was happy he could be of any use at all, and that Leland chose to come join his tribe in the first place. Not shy to express his gratitude in return, when he was presented with Leland's, Dawali spoke up. You do that! And thank you for joining us in the first place. These days every set of hands - or jaws - is a contribution, and there is nothing that pleases me more than having a friend, like you, to become a part of the AniWaya family. Perhaps slightly on the lofty side, Dawali refused to think again on the words he had just spoken. They'd be forgotten anyways, in time, and he was not scared of making a fool out of himself with Leland, as he was with the femmes. Raising a hand in a farewell greeting, Dawali then smiled, nodded, and turned to leave. Leland would be left alone to tend to his duty of settling in, and Dawali would return to.. Well, doing nothing, again. Sighing mentally, he realized the excitement was over for today, and glanced to the skies for a glimpse of Gvihita. Nothing. Oh well, just one of those quiet days, probably, he thought as his two feet carried him out of the packlands. Time for getting that exploring done.

rush.
[/html]