your cold day in the sun
[html]

Romeo, take me somewhere we can be alone;
I'll be waiting.

Here she was, just as she had promised. She made sure to take extra care in her outfit today, wanting to make an impression on any family she might meet. She wasn’t sure how this worked, but either way, she was plenty thrilled. With her favorite plaid dress on, and half of her hair tied back in a pink ribbon, she hesitated just outside of Phoenix Valley’s borders. She knew he probably wouldn’t be expecting her, but somehow she didn’t think DaVinci would mind. She just hoped his family wouldn’t be eager to kick the Inferni girl out into the cold. All she wanted was to see his family. She wanted to know every part of him that she could. Even if their love was somehow unconventional.

[/html]
DaVinci had set out along the borders to patrol, he'd taken Zana along with him since Skylar had spent the night assisting him with nursing the pup. She was getting to the point to where she could eat some well chewed meat and it was beginning to make their lives easier but she still needed watched after and DaVinci seemed to be the full time sitter now. He stiffled a yawn as one arm was drawn across his eyes, trying to wipe the sleep from them as he drudged through the snow. The muffled yaps and cries from the carrying case were beginning to become too much, even for the male with patience aplenty with young ones. His children and those of his siblings had all been active and energetic but Zana's actions almost seemed to stir her into a frenzy at times.

Suddenly DaVinci stopped and opened the case, taking a string from the side and attaching it to the collar the young one wore. He knew it was a bit savage and cruel to those who might come across the two but he did not have the time or the energy to be racing after wobbly legs and trying to perform his duties as well. He pulled up from attaching the leash and caught the scent of another, at the same time it seemed that Zana had as well as she pulled forward on her wobbly large paws. The small one loved to hop through the snow and snap at the flurries she stirred up. DaVinci kept his eyes scanned as she began to wear out some of the extra energy she had and yet he was still in control.. it was almost too perfect.

Just then the small one caught sight of Ryan in the distance and tried to race on her large paws towards the other. DaVinci couldn't help but laugh at his sister who couldn't figure out why she wasn't moving as fast as she wished to. Moving along behind her as the stunning sight of Ryan was right before him he smiled. "You came.." he said softly, forgetting how horrible the sight of Zana pulling at the lead must look like as she tried to wobble and wiggle her way to butt her head against Ryan's legs.
[html]

I'll be waiting.

She laughed, smiling. "Of course!" The sight of DaVinci easily put her at ease, and she instantly felt a bit more confident. She knew of Inferni’s connotation and worried that the idea might rub onto her, but she still had hope that his family would approve. With Anselm gone and Lene now in the clouds, there was no one to really approve of DaVinci. Ryan counted Inferni as a sort of a family unit, but their approval wasn’t necessarily vital to her.

"Going for a walk?" She asked, chuckling as she looked down to Zana. This wasn’t one of the children DaVinci had introduced her to before. Who could it be. Another mystery child? "Who’s this?" She asked with a grin, shaking her head playfully at the tether that connected the two together.

[/html]
DaVinci couldn't help but offer her a smile in return when she laughed so freely. He really hadn't know what to expect but he was glad that she had decided to show up. He chuckled as he commented. "I just expected you to be a little leary on being fed to the wolves." he said with a wink. His family wasn't that horrible, of course the boy didn't know anything of the truth behind how his mother had ended up in her current state. Inferni's issues with his family he'd always been aware of but thought lightly on, he'd never had a reason to really care except from a sideline point of view but now that he was right in the mists of the problem he had to make this all real. He flicked his ears back for a second as he tried to decide what to do, knowing that they couldn't sit around on the border but she was better coming in and being with him than if someone found them here. Atleast if she was with him he could always report that she was being taken to speak to Iskata.. which, was their true destination.

He shook his head at the words she asked, the sudden excitement from the pup doubled, he tried to playfully tug at the lead to get her to settle down but to no avail. Sighing dramatically he smirked as she asked who the small one was. He raised a brow at her, wondering if she thought this was another of his rugrats but instead of asking her that he just fessed up. "This is Zana.. she' suppose to be my baby sister.. but I think she's a little confused." Shaking his head he ran his fingers through his hair and worried at his lip. He wasn't for certain if he should be revealing to an Inferni packmember their troubles.. but she'd set it for herself in a moment.

His stormy orbs flicked back to Ryan as he just let it out, motioning for her to go with him as he talked. "Mother.. was mauled by a bear a few weeks ago. She stepped down as our leader.. and has sortof lost a lot of connection to everyone. She can't feed Zana and doesn't even seem like anything more than a ghost.. So Skylar and I have been taking care of Zana.. she seems to think I'm the parent now I think. She doesn't even recognize Iskata.." His sad eyes turned away, knowing that Iskata was upset about the fact that she wouldn't be able to see her newborn child grow but her actions had driven a larger gap between the two. He wished there was something the pack could do but Deuce said she had to find her way herself, they could do it for her.
[html]

I'll be waiting.

She searched his face, as if that would somehow reveal Zana’s story. "Baby sister?" She didn’t really know anything significant about DaVinci’s family, but she supposed she would find out sooner or later. The day's events were bound to bring up some things. She only wished that she had an actual family to bring DaVinci to. But there were no close relatives nearby waiting to meet her new love.

When he motioned, she quickly fell in pace with him. She didn’t know exactly where he was going to lead them, but it didn’t really matter to her. Afterall, she was by his side again. These days that seemed to be all that mattered. As DaVinci began explaining, Ryan listened patiently, not wanting to interrupt. But with his last words, Ryan’s smile dissolved. She wasn’t quite sure just what to say, so she wrapped a thin arm around his waist. She wanted to comfort him, but the words that came from her lips somehow seemed insignificant. "I’m so sorry, DaVinci."

[/html]
When Ryan questioned the girl being his baby sister he grinned and raised a brow at the de le Poer woman. "You know I'm the oldest.." He had been her first born son and yet he really had never had anything to show for that, his mother had never been there to raise him or be proud of the things he may or may not have acomplished, but he still have to live up to being first. Smiling softly he admitted the truth. "My mother had two other litters after mine.. I've actually got six siblings spread across the lands.." not that he was really close to any of them, once he'd been close with Magdalena and Firefly but since they'd returned both girls had gone their seperate ways, Mags had vanished in thin air and Firefly was her own dark and mysterious self, one he didn't want to cross to often since she'd grown into her own.

DaVinci shook his head slightly as he expressed the truth of what had happened to his mother, when Ryan's arm wrapped around his waist he shrugged slightly and frowned. "There's nothing that can be done.." he murmured as he lead her along the path towards the lovely small cottage where Iskata hide away from the world, across from the farm stead where the cattle rambled around in the field lowing and calling in the day. His eyes darted to the cobbled trail to the porch as he smiled softly as Zana still went ambling along as thought they were'nt even there. "Just.. don't make a big fuss over mother.." he asked, not sure exactly how the woman would take it all.
[html]

I'll be waiting.

"Oh wow, I didn’t know you had that many." In fact, she only really knew about two for sure. But she was glad that she was getting to know some about him. She had fallen so quickly for his lovely boy that she had barely any time to know about his past and who he was. But that was alright with her. As long as he wanted her to be there with him, she would be. And in that time she knew she would come to learn all about her favorite steel colored boy.

Her jaw dropped as DaVinci lead her through Phoenix Valley. The atmosphere here was so much different than in Inferni. The small cottage in the distance really took her by surprise. It seemed… warm and quaint. So much different from the mansion that Ryan most often avoided. "Woww," she whispered, smiling as they advanced. At DaVinci’s request, she cast him a glance. She wasn’t sure what he meant by that, but she nodded anyhow. "Of course." She dropped her arm from his waist and let her hand find his, entwining fingers.

[/html]
DaVinci couldn't help but shake his head at the words she exclaimed. "We're not that close, atleast.. most of us, but we are family." He really didn't talk about his family much because outside of Zana he was nothing like them and he wasn't for certain if Ryan even realized that. If she didn't soon enough she would he thought as they made the steady walk through the countryside towards the home of the once proud Matriarch.

He watched her as the came down the winding road towards the cottage, the wide eyed look that crossed her face made him smile, glad he could share the beauty of the lands with her and yet hoping that bringing her to meet Iskata wasn't about to be a mass mistake. He knew how his mother could be about things and he knew that falling in love with a girl from Inferni was probably more than the woman could stand at the moment seeing how her life had been spiraling downhill so quickly. For once DaVinci pushed those thoughts aside, he could afford to be selfish every once in a while, Ryan was the only comfort he had outside of their little pack and he deserved that much, no matter what his mother thought.

He smiled at her when their fingers entwined before he made to open the door and call out. "Mother..?" His voice was unsure, not knowing if Skylar had went somewhere with the woman, but by the reaction of Zana as she scooted into the house before them someone was obviously there. He removed the leash from the girl and let her scamper further into the house as he followed slowly with Ryan. "Mother, there's someone I want you to meet." he said as he lead the crimson eyed beauty into the livingroom where most everyone seemed to spend their time in the cottage.

Just as he thought, Skylar was curled up in a chair reading a small book while Iskata lay close to the fireplace. Zana had clattered over to the nest of blankets she slept in and was rolling about letting out silly little coos of puppyhappiness as she wallowed against Tyrone who seemed to be a littel disgruntled for being woken from his nap. Smirking at his son's reaction DaVinci swollowed and waited, surprised that Skylar and Tyrone had never mentioned to Iskata thus far about their dad's love interest.
Iskata had known someone was coming to the cottage even before the door opened. The soft patter of paws on the porch and the wash of cold air into the house were enough. The voice of DaVinci made her raise her head though she didn't reply. The noisy child of hers had already come stampeding into the room, first running into her chest before hopping over the silver and gold woman and catepulting herself into the mass of blankets where she heard Tyrone grunt softly. Shaking her head in annoyance at the high energy ball of fur she grumbled and shook the cold from her pelt that the child had brought with her.

This time DaVinci came closer, announcing that he had someone he wanted her to meet. She could hear the soft footfall of the other, a woman by the light step as she flicked her tattered ears back. The scent of the other reached her with the cold as she couldn't help it when the fur along her back bristled. "DaVinci, who have you brought from Inferni.." She didn't say the words with distaste, for her best friend had been from Inferni at one point, though she was far gone once again.

Iskata had been abandoned by everyone she use to know, the world was filled with new faces and no longer belonged to her generation. She was fading away, and it was probably better this way.. she had done her work in this lifetime and was on the verge of worthlessness. It was time to be forgotten, if only she could forget.
[html]

I'll be waiting.

She took a deep breath, terrified and yet so ecstatic that she was finally here, finally doing this. Behind the door and walls of the cottage was some of DaVinci’s family and most importantly, his mother. She grew frightened that she might not be received well, but the reassurance of DaVinci next to her made her strong. As long as he was with her and didn’t decide to abandon her, she would be okay.

As Davinci led them inside, she could instantly feel the warmth. It was so lovely here in Phoenix Valley; it had a completely different ambiance. As soon as he called out for his mother, Ryan felt a small tug in her stomach. A mix of adrenaline, excitement, and fear turned in her frame. This was it.. the moment of truth, wasn’t it?

‘DaVinci, who have you brought from Inferni..’ Her stomach fell and she gripped DaVinci’s hand tighter for some reassurance that everything was going to be alright. Even though the voice wasn’t accusing, she felt as if she was being fed to the wolves. She hadn’t even had the chance to meet the woman, and already Inferni would taint their first impressions. She bit her lip and waited for DaVinci to speak. Hopefully, it wouldn't turn out to be as bad as she feared it had potential for.

[/html]
DaVinci's fingers tightened around Ryan's as he brought her into the den and before the woman who was sitting by the fire. His mother no longer shifted anymore, he wasn't for certain if she could with the damage done to her hind leg or if it was just the lack of wanting to shift. He didn't bother to ask her because anything with the woman was a touchy subject. Instead he looked to his children for a moment, seeing the happy sparkle in Skylar's eyes as she tried to hide her smile and the grumbling look from Tyrone as he tried to patiently get his Aunt to behave and lay down. He smiled and waited to see what his mother would say.

The words she blessed them with made his wrap his arms around Ryan's waist as he introduced her, trying to ignore the way she's spoken of the clan's name. "Her name's Ryan.. and.. I want her to be part of our family." He said softly. He hadn't exactly spoken to Ryan about the thought but if she really loved him and wanted him then sooner or later she would be part of their disfunctional family. His eyes flicked back and forth towards between his children who seemed to settle down and quiet down with the words from their grandmother.
Iskata's ears flicked back when she listened to the silence that seemed to wrap around the room while she waited for his answer. The woman with him didn't speak but soon enough DaVinci had brought her before the family. Turning her face towards the two of them she caught the name of the girl, one she'd never heard before, but judging from the fact that she was from Inferni she probably belonged to one of the few families that resided there. "Which one of the families do you belong to girl?" she asked softly. There was no love from the silver and gold woman for the families of Inferni, just one member and her children. She knew the girl before her was neither of the children of Faolin so she either was new to the clan or she belonged to one of the families.

She flicked her ears back as DaVinci began to speak and she didn't respond as he spoke of wanting the woman to belong to their family. She couldn't see the lady and she wasn't for certain that she wanted to. She'd already accepted another inlaw into the family and she was tired of belonging. She was tired of the whole world and behaving properly. She didn't know what DaVinci wanted of her, approval wasn't needed by the once Matriarch to settle down though by the sounds of it she doubted that anything between the two would work out. "You'll be miserable. She'll live in Inferni and you'll live here. Or were you going to abandon your children and your family for her? I doubt she'd be willing to leave her clan for you." she said darkly as she lowered her head back to her paws.
[html]
They don't tell you what to say
when your whole life has gone to hell.

Ryan gulped down hard on the air she had trapped in her mouth. DaVinci’s presence next to her gave her some reassurance, but she was still frightened how she would be received. His words came as a surprise, but she gripped his hand a little tighter and leaned into his frame some. A part of the family… she liked that. Especially since now she didn’t feel as if she had much of one.

She was afraid to answer Iskata’s question, but she knew that she must. Quietly, she responded, "de le Poer," unsure whether or not that was a good thing. She thought about adding her father’s name, but was too afraid it had the potential to make things worse. So instead, she kept her mouth shut and listened as the woman continued talking. Her words seemed dark and Ryan was afraid that they meant she wouldn’t approve of their relationship. They were partially true, though, even if Ryan didn’t want to admit it. She wouldn’t leave Inferni. It was her home.

[/html]
He couldn't believe the words his mother was saying, how cruel she was being towards Ryan. Sure he'd known that Iskata had little love for the clan and the families it held but he never thought that she would be outright rude to another soul because of their background. He wrapped one arm around Ryan's waist at the words that his mother uttered stung. He knew if they shocked him, that they must have a harsher effect on the poor woman from Inferni.

His arm around her waist seemed to tighten as he drew her closer with the bitter words of the woman pouring out. He drew in a soft hiss as he stated firmly. "Enough mother." He understood her point, he understood their lives wouldn't be easy.. and he'd had a feeling that Ryan wouldn't have left her clan behind, but the silver and gold lady must have known that he wasn't going to leave the pack either. No one might welcome their union or even their children if that would come to pass but they would handle those trials when they came to pass. "A name doesn't mean anything and you know that." he said flatly to his mother.
Iskata knew she wasn't being fair to the poor dear but it was all she could take. Once before the accident she might have welcome the woman with open arms but her world had changed and now all she wanted was to be forgotten. She'd tried to move on with her life and it didn't seem to be plasible with the state she'd fallen into. If DaVinci had brought any other soul into the house she probably wouldn't have had any problem being sweet and kind to them but she was being realistic here and it was more than apparent by DaVinci's tone that he didn't want to hear the cold hard facts.

Instead she just sighed and shook her head. "de le Poer.. I should have guessed." She ignored the words from her son as she flicked her tail back and forth before she just laid down her head again. "I know a name means nothing DaVinci. Just don't think the world will be filled with sunshine and daisies the rest of your life if you're serious." She couldn't just say congradulations, she'd had so many failures in love and relations that she didn't want him to expect perfection. She knew atleast that he was starting off on the wrong foot perusing a clan member and a de le Poer at the same time. She just shook her head and asked. "What do you want me to say?"
[html]

She could not get over how comforting his presence was, but also, how much of a mistake this seemed to be. DaVinci had warned Ryan not to "make a big fuss over mother". She had agreed, but naively. She hadn’t expected this kind of reception and maybe she should have known better than to trot into these packlands, regardless of DaVinci by her side. Inferni carried a stigma, she knew that. Maybe it would have been best to keep this love secret.

"DaVinci," she whispered into his side, running her fingers through the fur on his chest as an added means of comfort while her other hand remained clasped in his. "Maybe I should go," she added in an even smaller voice. She was frightened that even in her passive state, that Iskata was a powerful woman and would keep a stern opinion. Maybe it was best not to bug her anymore.

[/html]
His ears remained flatted to his skull as he couldn't believe the words his mother spoke. He knew she'd been upset by all the recent events but she'd never purposely acted such a bitch before since his childhood. He growled softly in his throat, warning his mother as she spat those last words out at him. Ryan's uncormfortable words as she seemed to cling even close to him made sparks fly, that his mother was making her feel so out of place when right here was where she belonged. "I want you to welcome her like she deserves. Like you would have done for any of the others brought into your home." His voice was deep and stern as though he was scolding a child as he stared down at the blind woman who seemed to just want to gather the pity of the world and roll in her owm mistakes and woes.

His eyes drifted to Ryan's as his tone turned softer for the Inferni woman at his side, "No, not yet, please.." he asked of her before he turned his attention back to his mother, not noticing that Skylar had joined Tyrone in the corner in keeping Zana busy while the two older pack members had it out. "She's not Ahren and she's not Gabriel. Keep your own feelings to her kin out of this. You don't want the world to judge you by what you can and can't do yet you judge her without even a moment's hesitation because of her bloodlines and her home." He shook his head as he turned back to Ryan and murmured softly. "Com'mon, it doesn't matter anyways." He pressed gently on the small of Ryan's back to turn her towards the door as his eyes caught the helpless looks of his children from the corner of the room. He just shook his head sadly and moved on.
His words rang in her head, causing her to want to snap out at him for even demanding of her what to do or say, yet she knew she'd been the one to ask him just what he'd wanted. She bared her fangs slightly at his words as she bristled. She was trapped in her own home and forced to listen to the words of her half feral son with a temper and stubborn will to match her own. If she'd taken the time to think about what he was saying she'd realize just how much the discussion sounded like one she'd had so long ago before she'd thrown herself into the biggest mistake of her life.. and yet the best moments of her life as well. Perhaps seeing too much of herself in her son was what moved her to such cruel ways.

She'd been about to lash out once more at the male when he struck first, she'd ignored the words of the woman at his side, hoping that she would leave but it seemed that DaVinci wasn't through. When the cold hard truth of how she was acting was thrust back in her face she snarled at the male and lunged from the spot she lay, knowing that they were too far off to actually do any damage but he'd hit a nerve on the woman and she couldn't stop herself before responding.

The motions of the two turning to leave weren't caught by her but the sounds as they exited were. It seemed moments later that the younger Sadira children were to follow, leaving her alone with the truth of what she had become brought to her at the hands of the child she'd once wronged and yet once more she'd done him just the same.. but thistime he'd been able to fight back and he had. She lay her head down on her paws as the loneliness sank in around her, tired, beated and shamed at what she'd become.
[html]

She bit her lip, trying hard not to feel frightened and guilty for what was taking place between son and mother. She didn’t want to be the reason that DaVinci fought with Iskata, and she didn’t want to cause any sort of rip in their family dynamics. She knew this was a bad idea. She should have just stayed away.

But DaVinci reassured her, so Ryan trusted him. She waited with him, listening to him refute his mother’s words. When he finally made to leave, Ryan was relieved. She openly greeted his steering towards the door and happily left the cottage behind. It had seemed so beautiful beforehand. Somehow Ryan knew she was the one to have brought the clouds down over this sunny valley. She had ruined everything.

"I’m so sorry, DaVinci," she told him as soon as the door was behind them. "I wish things didn’t have to be like this," she whispered, feeling slightly defeated now that she knew his mother would never approve. But she had to remember that she had DaVinci, and in the end, that was all that mattered.

[/html]
They'd left the cottage and his mother far behind, he knew his children would take care of Zana while the woman inside cooled her engines. He shook his head as Ryan's words met his ears so softly. He pulled her close, his hands closing around her wrists as he turned her face towards his as he answered. "It has nothing to do with you or me.. none of them can look last their selfish ways.." his stormy eyes searched hers as he tried to find the same answer in her own eyes.

He sighed softly and looked away a moment before he continued. "It doesn't matter anyways, it's only me and you.." There was no one else involved in their relationship when it came down to it and he wasn't about to let his mother's thoughts change that. He might be upset for the moment but in time he would cool down and their world would go back to the storybook tale of their happily never after.