[html]
OOC Name: Gwen
Preferred method of contact: PM Stockholm or AIM gwendolynsflight
Character Name: Lannen Haddix
Character Age: 3

Character Gender: Male
Regular Wolf or Luperci: Luperci Verto

How did you hear about 'Souls?: Current member

Water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink. Lannen's tongue hung out of the side of his white muzzle as he panted lightly. All this snow was really harshing his mellow! It wasn't as though he hadn't grown up with it. Maine got more than its fair share of snowfall every year, but the male was certainly growing sicker of it by the minute. There was the monotony of white for one - as if he didn't get enough of that looking at his reflection - and then there was his current predicament. He felt thirst burning annoyingly in the back of his throat. All the bodies of water had been icy, basically all of them frozen over solid.

And there was no way Lannen would go there again. Oh yes, he had gone there, and it hadn't been pretty. Parts of his tongue still stung from when he'd been the victim of an ice-tongue sticking accident. It wasn't a case of not being the brightest bulb in the box so much as he wouldn't let any theory die without firsthand experience. He cast brown eyes balefully down at the snow.

It went without saying that someone had obviously stepped in it. The scents of canids dominated this area. Although he couldn't discern any tracks, he was sure that many had set foot here not long ago. Oh, ew. Sighing, he bit the bullet and took a mouthful of snow.

[/html]
[html]

Ember looked up toward the sky, then back down at the ground again. It looked like it was getting ready to snow again, from the tint of gray overhead, something that she wasn't prepared for. She still hadn't found any clothing yet, not the good warm kind, and each night it felt like it took longer and longer for her to get dry and warm. She was considering looking for the materials to make a fire and then designing a den that could handle having a flame inside of it; that would solve her warmth problem.

She crested the hill that she had been climbing, then began her descent. She wasn't really sure where she was going today, only that she was going to head outside of AniWaya for a while. Ember wasn't much of a homebody. It was during her trip back down the hill that she spotted it, a discrepancy amongst all the white. Someone was there? The dark wolf started quietly toward the figure, stopping when she was within speaking distance."It's better if you boil it over a fire...but if you like it that way I'm not gonna stop you."

[/html]
[html]
Lannen's brown eyes snapped to the dark female now watching him. Oh great, just great. He died a little inside when she made the comment about boiling the snow, but grinned anyway. It was the only real response he could give her at the moment. Never one to do things halfway, Lannen had taken as much snow as he could fit into his mouth. Now he was faced with a real dilemma: would he spit the snow out to answer her, or swallow it?

After considering the options, he sighed and swallowed down the cold snow. It burned down his throat in a freezing way. He could feel it like a cold weight in the center of his stomach. But spitting it out would have been rather impolite. Not to mention even more embarrassing than his current predicament. "You're one hundred percent right," he said through slightly chattering teeth. His tongue was numb. "This didn't seem like the appropriate place to start an unauthorized fire though."

The white male's brown eyes traced the black female. She looked a little uncomfortable and cold. "Do you need help building a fire, though?" he asked with genuine concern. Sure, he'd come here for a reason, but he couldn't very well leave the lady high and dry.

[/html]
[html]
Ember's being kind of mean to the joinees this time o.O <333 They should become friends later XD She's like...not taking it the way he meant it ^^

She had always been daddy's little girl growing up, constantly following her father around everywhere he went. He had been all that she'd had back then, before Cercelee and Haku and all of her other family members had come. Well, it'd been her, Icarus, Kansas and Phoenix. There had been a few adopted siblings too, like Dierdre and Naniko, who had come around from time to time...but for the most part it had just been them, their tiny little family unit. Pilot had been there too, always making sure that the pack was well taken care of.

But after the fire, she'd had to learn how to do things for herself. Stuff that she'd never had to do before, like hunt and scout. Ember shook her head at the strange wolf as she came a little nearer; what was he doing? He seemed rather silly to her, unsure of what to do perhaps. Whether to eat the snow that he already had in his mouth, or do something else with it. She didn't care what he did; most wolves that she had met were crude creatures like herself, without real manners. "I can take care of myself." She said, after he had finished speaking.

She could make a fire--she'd made plenty of fires! She just hadn't gotten around to it yet; she was still adjusting to the lands, to living with a group again after being alone for so long. But he thought that she couldn't do it? "I don't look capable?" She wasn't weak. It might have taken her a while to get used to life without her father, but Ember was doing much better now. She crossed her arms, frowning and looking back at the newcomer. Why would he say something like that? She had her pride, even if she didn't have any clothing. "It's because I'm a girl, isn't it?" Without waiting for an answer, she continued. "Well, this girl knows what she's doing. So you'd better state what you're here for or get the Hell out."

[/html]
Oh, cripes. He should have known better than to open his damn yapper. This wasn't the first time he had been on the wrong end of a feminine outrage. In fact, he was sort of used to it and had resigned himself a fate full of female outbursts. He seemed to bring them out in every girl he met. He didn't know why now would be any different. He fought the urge to roll his eyes valiantly. She definitely had a point to her tirade, but he hadn't bated her, not really.

The lady seemed to be a real spitfire. His eyes lit up for a moment as he considered that, but quickly tossed that thought away. Playing with fire usually met getting burned, but as long as that fire was good looking...No, no. He couldn't afford to think that way. It had been a long time since he had been in the company of a female, and he would do well to keep his distance. Especially in this case, he decided. Ember seemed formidable enough.

Time for damage control! It was no use in denying whatever accusation she flung his way. She seemed to be at the pinnacle of her outburst, and fighting back would just make the situation worse. "You obvious are capable," he agreed. "My mistake, forgive me, lady." He fought to keep the exasperation from his tone. "My name is Lannen and I'm looking for a place to stay."
[html]
Please edit "leader needed" into the subtitle of your beginning post :]

Ember wasn't quite as sweet and nice as she had once been. A year ago, she might have reacted to this situation in a completely opposite way, inviting him in...asking his life story...but she couldn't be the wolf that she'd been back then any more. She didn't want to be.

But she could at least be civil. And he did apologize. She nodded at his name, offering hers in return. A truce, perhaps. "Ember. Ember Phoenix. The lands that you stand before belong to the AniWaya tribe. I don't think there will be a problem letting somebody stay...but I can't accept you myself because I'm not a leader here. I'll call one of the others." She lifted her muzzle toward the sky. One of them would be there soon...but there was something that she thought she was forgetting. "Oh yeah. I'm supposed to ask...what sort of skills do you have? Ones that might benifit us?"

[/html]
[html]Someone already did it for me? ._. EDIT: I feel so stupid - swear I had Lannen highlighted. Urk.

Lannen blinked when Ember decided to be civil. He hadn't really expected that, but a smile spread his maw nonetheless. He had been pleasantly surprised, thinking that she might extend her tirade. It just showed him internally that he was making an ass of himself. He needed to approach things with an open mind. That was the reason he had left home in the first place, he reminded himself grimly. Now was the time for an open mind, if there had ever been any time.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Ember," he said with a genuine smile, cocking his head to the left. Maybe there was something more to her than he first saw. Not exactly something soft, but something beneath that thorny exterior attitude. He wanted to get to know her to unravel the mystery, but that could wait for later, if the time ever came.

He was tired of being alone, of awaking every morning to nothing but an endless stretch of sky. It had filled him with wonder initially, but now it did nothing for him. An endless stretch of road was about as appealing to him as a swift kick in the nuts. He had reached an understanding of what was within him, had found an inner peace. He could be useful again. He wanted to be so badly. His silver tipped tail wagged slightly, unconsciously at the thought.

"I'm strong," he said, then realized that might lead to another estrogen fueled misunderstanding. "That is, I am not afraid of hard labor, I like it. I hunt well, fight moderately well."

[/html]
[html]

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c13/v ... -eagle.jpg);background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom;">
I just jumped in before Ember because I'm stupid like that Big Grin

Having headed to see to a few of the youngest horses, Dawali had picked up Ember's scent. Not just the way one'd normally pick up each others' scents; after all they were all living here, and all of their scents weren't that hard to find. No, it had been strong enough to tell him she wasn't that far away. On impulse, despite not really knowing her, nor being very comfortable with females, he changed his direction of pace and decided to go after her. There were no dark intentions, because he wasn't that kind of male. Nope, he just wanted to thank her for handling the young girl on their borders a few nights back. It seemed to Dawali that she was keen on taking responsibility, since she had so naturally handled a border-situation. And with no fussing either. He liked that, from a sub-leader's point of view. It was a good quality, and he wanted to make sure she knew he appreciated that. After only a few minutes he could hear her speaking, and not wanting to interrupt, he stopped as soon as she was in sight to evaluate whether it was appropriate of him to approach her. She was talking to a stranger, a male with fur that blended in with all the snow around them. He didn't look particularly happy with his situation, and judging by the scent of him and the way he was carrying himself towards Ember, Dawali assumed he did not belong to any of the packs around. Catching the last part of a sentence he was in the middle of, the male come out of his "hiding place" and walked over to them. If this light-pelted male was chasing after Ember's tail with a boasting behavior, he would certainly like to view this amusing scene. Dawali was old enough to not be shy like that. Perhaps a little too old, but that would be for someone else to decide. Judging by the look on Ember's face, he wasn't doing particularly well. Of course, wooing was probably not what all this was about, but it was always fun to see young males squirm a little.

Hello Ember. What have we here? An amused glint shone in Dawali's yellow eyes as he looked onto the snow-colored male, smile a mirror of the light-hearted feelings in his eyes. This was promising in terms of entertainment. Indeed.

[/html]
[html]
For some reason, I was waiting for you to reply first XD I don't know why. :o -loveson- And I actually kinda want a Dawali thread now XD They would be like "I don't know what to do around you..." at each other.

Ember got along with most people...in the sense that she generally left the other pack members alone and expected the same in return. She did her pack duties, but did not make friends easily. Tayui was one of the wolves who she had known for a long time, Pilot too, and she felt comfortable enough around them to call them her friends. There was Bane, and Geneva, too, and Jefferson. Other than them, she had at least ten blood-related or adopted relatives running around the lands. Naniko and her pups, Dierdre's boy Apollo...half of Dahlia de Mai and some of Phoenix Valley. The only place that housed wolves who she was not related to in some way was this tribe and Inferni. "You too, I guess. I don't meet many new people, normally, just the same old same old. It's cool to see someone who isn't from around here."

The answers that Lannen gave her seemed to satisfy Ember and she nodded accordingly. "We should spar sometime, after my arm is finished healing. I need some practice." Maybe next time she'd be able to best Hybrid. The first time she'd gone up against him she'd had luck on her side, and the second time she had sought him out herself. She hadn't done so well that second time.

She was so focused on Lannen that she didn't realize that Dawali had arrived until he was nearly up to them. But then, she couldn't remember a time when he hadn't managed to sneak up on her, in the handful of times she had actually seen him. Maybe he was just a quiet fellow. "I found another one for you. A good fighter and hunter--and from what I hear, pretty strong. He's Lannen....I didn't catch your last name" She said, looking back to the pale wolf.

[/html]
[html]Insanely running out of juice. This is gonna suck the big one. Love for you though <3

Lannen smiled when Ember spoke civilly. It seemed as though the crisis might have been averted after all. Things were looking up today. He hadn't expected that to happen. After so long on the road, he didn't think he might see its perceivable end. Or at least have some sort of pleasant diversion from his long, winding path. "I'd like that, Ember."

Wooden brown eyes leapt when a male appeared. It wasn't often someone got the jump on him, but his approach had been quiet. He seemd to be an older male, and on good terms with Ember. She hand't snapped at him or had a sarcastic remark in terms of a greeting. He nodded to the male as politely as he could. There was a knowing smile on his face that made Lannen want to squirm, but he let the urge go.

"Haddix," he answered. "My name is Lannen Haddix." He offered the information freely, deciding the more information he could give the duo, the better.

[/html]
[html]

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c13/v ... -eagle.jpg);background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom;">
Good idea Ember, I vote yes! He is terrible ^_^

Seemingly, none of the two had noticed him approaching. Good to know his sneaking skills were in order, at least. Still smiling, he found that it was slightly easier to speak to Ember this time, but perhaps this was just because the male was here. He found great comfort in just knowing that estrogen was not about to rule his world just yet. Too many women. Too much anxiety in Dawali's head. Her dialogue was nice and easy though, so if he could just forget the fact that she was female, it'd all fall into place, probably. Turning his gaze onto the male as she spoke, Dawali considered him. Well if they'd let in that little odd girl earlier, why not this guy? And he was male. Frankly, anything with a penis would get a yes to join them right now, at least from him, unless it was someone with a bad reputation. Luckily, Dawali didn't know the people around here enough to know whether anyone had a bad reputation, so it was all good! Penis? check. Skills? check. All-o.k.! Or at least, that was what his brain was repeating over and over like a happy mantra as his face stayed serious. The playfulness lingered, however. You're picking them up all over the place, Ember. Perhaps you're our lucky magnet. Stupid words, stupid stupid. When would he ever learn to think? Now it looked like he was flirting with her. Mentally sighing, he let it pass, not wanting to let on that he - again - had made an ass out of himself. Perhaps she would not spend energy thinking about it or even noticing his clumsy sentence, and if she didn't, he wouldn't help her! The misery he felt inside did not reach the face of the red-furred male, however. Anyways, nice to meet you Lannen. You'd be a good contribution to the tribe, I think. Welcome. Smiling politely, he kept his gaze fixed onto the newcomer, not wanting to even glance at the dark femme beside him. If he did, he might pick up a trace of.. well any kind of reaction. He didn't want to see that. Suddenly impatient, he wished he had not come, and that he could get this over with and leave soon. This was not good.

[/html]
[html]
Cool! One more post each and we're done?

Things seemed to be going just as well with this meeting as they had with the one a few nights before. She was happy that Lannen hadn't come in the middle of the night, like the other girl, at least. And he hadn't reacted badly at her little temper tantrum, something that she took as a sign of a level head. Ember couldn't help the way that she was, and sometimes her behavior got a little erratic. She didn't know how to act around most wolves....or when to take what they said seriously.

"I hope I am; we could use some more hands around here, don't you think?"She asked. The idea of her being a lucky magnet was kind of silly, though. She had just been in the right place at the right time. Either way, it made her grin. Ember knew what to do, now, unless Dawali wanted to. To show the newcomer around a little. "Do you guys want to head off together and look around, or should I show Lannen where everything is?"

[/html]
[html]Sounds about right.

Lannen developed his own amused grin when Dawali gave Ember quite a compliment. It seemed as though the older male hadn't meant to, and had probably meant it to sound more subdued. It was obvious Ember hadn't taken Dawali to be flirtatious. Oh well, win some, lose some. It seemed as though the entertainment value was gone now. Although Lannen wasn't particularly fond of being on the receiving end of a feminine tirade, he couldn't deny that he enjoyed observing. From very, very far away, if he could help it.

The white wolf chose not to say anything, but to remain where he was. It wasn't up to him what would happen next. He had been swept up in a whirlwind of activity in such a short time. His eyes rested on Dawali and he winked at him once, noticing that the male was studiously avoiding Ember's face in case her reaction to his previous words could be misconstrued. He commiserated with the red pelted male. Dames. Couldn't live with 'em, couldn't live without 'em.

[/html]
[html]

crappy post by me. do you want to post again or should I close it? Smile

The light-pelted male took his words and said nothing, simply accepted them. Good. Dawali was not a wolf of many words, and most of the time when he decided to use them it went wrong. So whenever anyone reacted in a way he would have done himself (after all, why did everyone have to talk all the time?), he felt a little part of him relax. And Ember had not taken his words as a cheesy compliment either, nor reacted unpredictably - like women do. Good. All good. The impatient feeling lingered and his foot trembled slightly, giving away his urge to get going. Luckily, Ember opened up for just that, somehow things clicked well during this encounter despite how the outcome of his stupid choice of words might have been. Relieved at the opening, he responded quite quickly, not even considering doing the deed himself. She volunteered, and he wouldn't stop her. If you could show this one around too, Ember, that'd be great. I was on my way to tend to the horses, so I better get going. Their food storage still isn't the size I'd like it to be. It was true, but perhaps exaggerated. They had food for at least two weeks, but he could never be sure that the weather didn't change. And they needed those horses to make it, and badly. Otherwise, should the rest of the tribe members arrive during spring, they'd have trouble when it came to the crops. And that kind of trouble was trouble they didn't want. Nodding and smiling again at the newcomer and Ember, Dawali turned and left the scene.

[/html]