funny how these things come about
[html]
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/7681/aurelepz7.png); background-position: center bottom; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Bane Kiles; Quartz Shoreline.

She sat on the slick stones, listening to the cry of sea-birds and the roar of the ocean, and staring ahead. It was still dark, and the snow was coming down in varying strengths as the hours ticked by. Aurèle had not moved for what felt like hours, eyes glazed and focused on the horizon. The white wolf, though she was marred by patches of darker color, could still not justify why she was here.
     Shaking the collected snow from her pelt, Aurèle sighed in a breath of steam and continued to sit. A faint glow was starting to form at the horizon, and very shortly, the sun would rise. She had been watching it rise for days now. It felt unsafe to sleep during the night. That much, she could justify.

[/html]
[html]
OoC

IC

Bane loved the sea, and he loved the winter. The shoreline was a paradise of sorts, and so every morning when he woke to rise with the sun he would make it his destination. That morning, he had woken up before the sun had come up, but had felt too restless from the nightmares to wait. It was dark when he stood outside his temporary quarters in Halifax, shifting from two to four legs as the snow coated his fur, turning it white. Bane preferred to run on four legs. As per the usual morning routine, he would only half-shift; his Lupus form made him feel vulnerable, and it had been many, many months since he remembered using it.

The morning jog woke him up with the efficiency of a five am drill. It was these mornings when he felt most alive, most alert. Later in the day, this would end. For now, as he jogged along the borders of Phoenix Valley, he kept his mind on his goal, and remembered his prize. It was invigorating.

The coast reminded him of home, though a figure in the distance marred the horizon. Through blurred vision he could see a wolf, and she neared steadily as he slowed to end his morning workout. Generally he avoided strangers this time of day, when he was least desensitized by his pills. Today, with much on his mind, this mattered less. "Good morning," he spoke, a little breathless.

[/html]
[html]
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/7681/aurelepz7.png); background-position: center bottom; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

She heard his voice over the ocean, over the wind that whipped through her coat but did not break that second thicker layer of fur. Her head turned, and a male much larger then she (this, of course, only because of his Halfling state) appeared on the shore. Like her sister, and indeed most of the family, Aurèle was not small by any means. “Good morning,” she offered. Though not entirely interested in the stranger, she would be polite. Surprisingly, she did not lack social skills—merely, enjoyed getting reactions from certain individuals.
     Smiling faintly, green eyes narrowing momentarily against a rush of cold air, she spoke again. “You come to see the sunrise?”

[/html]
[html]
OoC

IC

Bane didn't quite reciprocate the woman's feelings, and conversely was quite interested in her. This wasn't something exclusive to her, or a thing that surprised him at all; he was interested in all people as potential allies or sources of entertainment, no matter how brief. He had seen many strange things in his as of yet short life, and had learned the most mundane things -- such as sitting in the snow, waiting for the sun to rise -- could actually be the most important things. Or they could symbolize nothing. It was these things he was curious about.

"I had actually hoped it would have started by the time I got here," he replied, voice calm and steady as his his breathing slowly evened out. He had paced his jog in advance so this hadn't taken long. Sitting down, he shook the snow from his fur and spoke again. "No such luck, though. I assume that's what you're waiting in the cold for?"

[/html]
[html]

I'm interested to see how these two make out. I think they could be friends, given what I've gathered from Bane's other threads. :]

He was young, but that did not mean inexperience. She could see the age in his eyes, and in the way he carried himself. This dark man was peculiar, and because of this, she would hold his company. Mundane meant nothing to Aurèle, whom had long since ago realized that the norm was something impossible. She had realized that the day her home and family had burnt to the ground. She had realized that each time she dreamt of—
     “Yes,” she exhaled, turning her face back to the ocean. A break of gold signaled that the sun was not far from breaking. As she kept her face to the ocean, she continued speaking.
“Why do you come out to watch it?”

[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/ ... blebg3.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom">
SWAYING TO THE RHYTHM
OF THE NEW WORLD ORDER

cakeI like how you phrased that. "see how these two make out" XD

cake"I don't," Bane answered, smiling easily at the pale woman sitting next to him. "I run every morning, and the sun comes up to watch me." There was a hint of something new in his voice, a more joking, easygoing note that rarely found its way to the surface. Bane was a serene, patient creature who existed to observe; rarely did he allow himself to be worthy of observation by someone else. A personality was easily hidden, something only those who liked to dig deserved to see. That morning he was a little less buried under his own memories, his own beliefs, his instinctual wariness. Perhaps it was the lack of new morphine in his blood, perhaps it was something else.

cake"What about you, ma'am? Tell me why you wait for something you've likely seen a hundred times before. Does it hold any meaning for you?" She reminded him of home. She reminded him of the warrior-maidens there who worshipped the ancient Norse gods and fought with all the rage and fierceness of demons released straight from Hell itself. They had all had that build, and that pale white coat. It struck him then that he had not yet introduced himself. This was a great folly to him, especially when with a lady, and one who was his elder likely by several years. But for some reason, he refrained from speaking his name. He felt comfortable enough.

[/html]
[html]

She's totally a cougar. Rawr. Tongue

She smiled at his words, amused in spite of herself. That much she owed to him, given that civil conversation was difficult to find in this place. Perhaps civil conversation was just hard to find because of how she was, but Aurèle could justify her actions until the end. Her near-neon green eyes darkened slightly, taking in the color around them, focusing on his dark form as she listened to his voice. It gave away his youth more then his build, which was surprisingly large (though in comparison, he was not much bigger then she was).
     Ma’am. Polite. Young. Level-headed. She marked these things down as she listened to him, studying a strange foreign specimen. “I don’t wait for it,” she said, though did not elaborate further. Turning her head over her shoulder, Aurèle eyed the stranger calmly. “You’re not from around here, are you, son?” That brat of a girl had asked her the same thing, she realized suddenly. Maybe they did stand out against the worn no-color of this forest.

[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/ ... blebg3.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom">
SWAYING TO THE RHYTHM
OF THE NEW WORLD ORDER

cakeThe woman's words were brief and she didn't elaborate on them; Bane raised a brow at this, finding it a mildly interesting thing that she wouldn't speak of herself. Most of the world was populated by talkers. He was the rare listener; it was an unusual thing to meet another one, or at least a person who didn't care to discuss things that may have mattered. Of course, it wasn't her answer the man was truly interested in; as always, it was the reaction he was looking for. He had gotten one, in some form or another. Perhaps in that manner, at least, they were alike.

cake"I was born here." Honesty was a virtue, the dying jackal-man had told him, and it was one of the few virtues the dark wolf could call his own. She had called him son. Once upon a time, in the South, the man's father would call him that. It was a funny thing, to hear it again. In the Land of the Midnight Sun, he would have been considered older. But during wartime, the boys died young. "I left, and then I came back. So yes and no." It would depend on how she defined 'from.' Either way, he wasn't interested in his own story. Some part of him wanted to know hers. "What about you, ma'am?"

[/html]
[html]

“I’m from the north,” she offered. The name was long since gone to her; it belonged to her sister, the historian, the scarred-one. Aurèle bore no visible scars; they had healed, even though she could still feel them. Not all scars were necessarily surface deep. She looked away, aware that if he saw her eyes, he would see murder. Even as the sun broke the ocean and began to rise and lighten the world, her eyes darkened to the point they were nearly black.

“I left after a fire. I came here not that long ago.” Again, she did not elaborate on how or why. Only that what had happened had indeed happened. Inhaling the salt air, and breathing out at the rush of wind, she spoke again.
“Come sit with me.”

[/html]
[html]
SWAYING TO THE RHYTHM
OF THE NEW WORLD ORDER

cakeBane stood, moved forward, and sat back down at her words, next to her. He was obedient; one would be rude to deny a lady her request. As he did so, he stretched his back, rolling his shoulders. His body was settling from the morning run. He felt like he was awake, for the first time in years. Normally this was a feeling he sought to avoid. Though he was unable to see her face clearly without his glasses, it was nonetheless unfortunate that she hid her eyes from him; murder was a thing he was familiar with, and though his prejudices were more faded these days, he generally wouldn't even counting the halflings that had died because of him, directly or indirectly. Being something less than godly, they didn't count as anything but prisoners of war, as murderers themselves.

cakeHis eyes were trained on the sliver of sun on the horizon. It lent a red glow to the ocean that reminded him of fire. As he spoke, there was genuine curiosity in his voice. "Do you plan on staying?" If Bane were to be asked that question, honesty would require him to reply that he wasn't sure. He would stay long enough to prove the Sun God's prophet right or crazy wrong, and then he would likely leave. Nova Scotia was his birthplace, and the deathplace and gravesite for much of his family, but still it held no particular meaning for him. It was ultimately just another place to satisfy his curiosity, and another place to lay his head.

[/html]
[html]

At his words she stiffened slightly, unsure of the answer. She held her breath before finally turning her face to his. The darkness in her eyes was still present, though it was slowly being swallowed by the neon-gleam they usually carried.
“I don’t know,” she exhaled, and then offered an honest, though faint, smile.
     She looked back to the sea, to the bloody color that was becoming its mask. It was still snowing, and these flakes offered a faint contrast to the sky. It occurred to her suddenly that she couldn’t feel her feet.
“I’m Aurèle.” This was the first time since meeting her sister here she had spoken so candidly with another soul. This thought was amusing to her, so she let out a faint exhale of what might have been laughter had it not died in her throat.

[/html]
[html]
SWAYING TO THE RHYTHM
OF THE NEW WORLD ORDER

cakeIn her, Bane sensed something dark. It was in her eyes and in her words. He was observant, as anyone who hoped to survive a war would be, and he noted even through his blurry eyes the way she tensed very slightly. His curiosity was alive, as was the instinct, and the black wolf watched her in return as she looked at him, her green eyes meeting his blue ones, one of the few things in the world left of his mother. She was a curious woman. She fed his inquisitive side, and starved it simultaneously.

cake"I'm Bane Kiles," The man replied graciously, a hint of apology in his calm, steady baritone. He should have introduced himself first, but he seemed to have temporarily forgotten his manners. As he spoke, he returned her smile. His came easier than hers. "It is truly a pleasure to meet you, Miss Aurèle, and I do hope you stay long enough for further conversation, now or in the future. I must admit, I am curious about you." That lighter tone returned again as he spoke, revealing a brief hint of what he might have been like without the pills. It was all speculation. He watched the ocean as the sun slowly set it aflame, the smile having faded into something more vague that showed more in his eyes now than on his mouth.

[/html]
[html]

She is totally creeping on him. But it's okay, because she's a cougar and she's French-Canadian. Who doesn't want that? XD

Her instincts had told her long before they had started speaking that he was not what he seemed. Perhaps that was why she chose to remain with him, to listen to what he had to say, to give away a little of her own being. A curious boy and a woman who had been lying for the past three years. She barely recognized herself anymore. “Bane Kiles,” she repeated, the words playing over her tongue like a foreign wine. “I think I can grace you that, my dear boy. Provided, of course,” she drawled on, the Québécois accent trailing behind her. “You do the same for me.”
     Beyond them, the sun crested and the ocean continued to burn, though this would only last a scarce few precious minutes. Sea-birds circled, wheeled, and cried out, signaling that the world had begun anew. It was a remarkable thing, in all truth, but Aurèle found no comfort in a cruel sun like their own.

[/html]
[html]
SWAYING TO THE RHYTHM
OF THE NEW WORLD ORDER

cakeO yea I would totally sleep with her.

cakeEnding this because it seemed right. We should start a new one. Also a Gabe/Bane thread cos I'm way too lazy to PM you. x3

cakeIt was safe to assume that Bane felt the same way about her. Most souls in the world were bared, an easy read to those with eyes that saw past the surface. Seeing past that, however, didn't mean that what lay underneath was any easier to distinguish; rather, it was, in some cases, more difficult. Miss Aurèle, with her lazy French accent, was one of these more mysterious, cryptic types, and he was intrigued by the mere thought of what he could learn from her, about her, and about himself.

cake"Anything you'd like, my lady," Bane told her. His smile was cordial, his tone calm and serene and strangely quiet. Suffocatingly polite, as always. Yet there was something else in his voice, a dark, malignant thing that was there always but rarely showed itself anymore. It was a trace, a hint, of the person he had learned to hide. There was no lack of truth to his words, either; Bane was many things but never a liar. Whatever she wanted. "I look forward to seeing you again, ma'am." He had a routine to follow, and it was set in stone. And so he stood and shook the snow off his fur, and allowed his powerful legs to carry him home.

[/html]