An endless ring of light
[html]
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/k ... able01.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
__Out of character speech.

The day had been a long one, but a good one. The white man felt weariness and strain in his muscles, but he just smiled at it. It meant he was growing stronger. He had spent the day herding the cattle about. He had taken the herd to go for a walkabout while the weather was still temperate. It was still snowing, but the sun was out. He figured a little exercise would do them some good.

He had finished putting them away for the evening and decided to take a bit of a walk himself. Ocean blue orbs surveyed the quite peace of Phoenix Valley. He had really found a small bit of paradise and he really loved it. This new way of life was strange but it was a welcome change in his life.

Whistling a half remembered tune, he walked in an aimless path. He felt the wind on his face, but it wasn't chilled. It was cool, but wonderful. He closed his eyes to stand and enjoy it. He had spent a lot of the day worrying about Iskata and Zana, but pushed that from his mind for now. It was a perfect evening.

[/html]
-ooc, the firefly/pepe thread is on the second page of ddm for you!--

DaVinci was standing on the edge of the field, he'd been watching the young male working with the herd. It had been quite a while since someone had taken to showing the cattle who was boss. A slight twinge struck his heart as he realized the last one he knew who'd taken such time with the animals had been his mother. Shaking his head slowly he sighed and turned away from the field and the cattle that were gathered about the fodder. He still knew that Iskata came out to listen to the beasts and often was shuffling about the barnyard but he hadn't seen her for a day or so. He knew he probably should check on the woman but he figured she probably wanted her space after the mishap with Zana in the cottage.

DaVinci was about to go join Skylar, who was looking after Zana now that she was old enough to get out and roam. He knew she'd gone quite reserved and afraid of almost anything that moved since she'd been burnt. Her wounds were healing nicely but he knew that she'd never be the same. He sighed and wished that there was something more he could do for her but burns were tricky business and he was not a healer. He wished that Deuce wasn't so busy with her own child but he wasn't going to bother her since she seemed to have change so as of lately.

Walking down the path he soon heard the sound of the tune on the wind as he lifted his stormy orbs and called out to Pepe. "Hey.." He didn't even know what had caused him to call out to the boy but he knew that his mother's adopted son worried so about Zana and Iskata. He'd been the one who'd saved the poor girl from the fire. DaVinci knew he should have been there but he couldn't be everywhere.. Mistakes were not things he could afford anymore.
[html]
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/k ... able01.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

The white man opened his eyes to the sound of a voice. Turning, he found that it was Iskata's son, DaVinci. He had never really spoken to him before. He had known Iskata when she had called herself Alyssa, and DaVinci hadn't been around then. It was so far back. Although they shared a common mother figure, Pepe couldn't call this man brother. He didn't even know the first thing about him. That was why he was very glad to see him at this moment.

"DaVinci, hello," he said. He walked a little in the other man's direction, but kept his distance. Although DaVinci was around often, his scent all over the packlands, he seemed to be the reserved type. Pepe wouldn't get into his personal space. He really admired the hybrid. He had two children of his own, but he treated Zana so well. It was obvious that DaVinci and his progeny had been what held Iskata together, well, as match of Iskata there was left to hold together.

The evening air swirled around them. Pepe leaned in slightly with the gentle force of the wind. He really was enjoying the mild weather. But his face turned somewhat serious again, feeling lightheartedness fade away as his mind returned to colder realities. It dawned on him that DaVinci had never really spoken with him or sought him out. "Is everything okay?" he asked. And he meant with Zana and Iskata. If anyone knew, it would be the hybrid man. Why else would he talk to him?

[/html]
DaVinci really thought nothing of the siblings he had scattered across the lands, from time to time he'd find them and even a few he'd check up on but they all had their lives to lead while he did as well. Pepe appearing into the pack just made it so that he now lived with one of those sibling, though not of blood and no real connection he was still thrown in the mix. When DaVi had happened upon him today he was curious to learn where the youth had gone in the time he'd been away from their mother. He'd heard of Pepe from Iskata herself but the young one had already disappeared when DaVinci had roamed across the pack territories when his half siblings had been born to Iskata and Phoenix. Now atleast was his chance to get a gathering of the young man.

When his greeting was returned to him DaVinci smiled slightly and cleared the distance between them even after Pepe had paused in his tracks. "I trust you're well.." he asked as he settled down on the old dirt road and turned his stormy eyes to one of the newer packmates. He knew that the child worried so about Iskata but DaVinci wasn't going to persue that matter, he didn't want to ruin any hopefulness or wishes the male might have of the lady pulling out of her destructive track she was racing down so quickly. He knew if she kept this up there wouldn't be much left of the woman to bring back if they found a miracle.

The change in Pepe's appearance and the words he asked made him realize just how often the woman was on his mind. DaVinci quickly dismissed any worries that the child might have had as he was confirmed by the words. He shook his head and tried to sooth the youth's nerves as he quickly tried to assure him that they were fine, atleast as fine as the pair could be. "No, nothing's wrong, Skylar is with them both. Zana was lucky you were close by that day you know.." He hated to remind himself of how drastically he'd failed the young girl and how she feared Iskata so after the accident. He'd stopped trying to convince Zana that Iskata would have never hurt her on purpose, that a mother would never do that.. of course Iskata had a running course with doing things just like that and the words had stuck everytime he'd spoken them. Iskata didn't help much either growling and glaring from where ever she was at everytime she heard the others trying to coodle the child. DaVinci believed that the incident with Zana had been the last straw to shattering the once Matriarch, not that he'd admit it to Pepe though.
[html]

Before he really knew what he was doing, Pepe sat down in the road next to DaVinci. He found that it was actually easy to talk to this hybrid man. He didn't think it would be so. He always seemed so reserved. Pepe couldn't remember seeing DaVinci smile, although at the same time he had only seen the hybrid man on a few occassions. But he didn't seem the sort that smiled easily.

Pepe let out a sigh when DaVinci let him know that Iskata and Zana were all right. The relief he felt was tremendous. Breathing came easier to him now. He thought of the two females all the time. Some thoughts haunted him like ghosts, terrifying him from sleep.

He heard the guilt in DaVinci's voice. "Hey," he said. "We've done all we can." He felt some kinship with his sort-of-brother then. They were united by their love for the two girls. If only there was more they could do. But there wasn't and they both knew that.

[/html]
DaVinci never really thought of how he appeared to the outside world, he'd spent so much time trying to prove that he wasn't just what they saw before his eyes and yet now he didn't know what they saw anymore, atleast it had quieted the outburst of disgust, dislike and hate from seeing a hybrid before them for the most part, or they'd learned to keep their feeling at bay, much like the male did. He was slightly surprised that Pepe had finished the distance between them and had come to join him on the old dirt road. He didn't say anything but he liked the fact that there didn't seem to be any jealousy for being another of Iskata's children. He knew they were old enough to not have to whine and scramble for attention but he'd seen it happen enough with grown ups that it wouldn't have surprised him if Pepe had acted differently. Instead he fell into a more relaxed state of mind as the younger boy turned to him.

The soft sigh that had escaped Pepe didn't go unnoticed and a soft tiny smiled barely played upon his lips before disappearing. He was glad that he wasn't the only one who worried of the two girls, with the new and youger packmembers they didn't seem to care too much about the elder once Matriarch of the pack. DaVinci still had a nagging feeling along the lines of his mother wellbeing but it was nothing that he could do anything about so it was just left unspoken like it should be for the moment.

He just nodded as Pepe tried to bring a little pep and shine to the truth of it all. DaVinci knew he couldn't help what had happened, that it could have happened even with him or Skylar in the cabin with Iskata. He just shook his head as he sighed. "It should have never happened to begin with.. but it's all in the past now." He knew better than to linger on the past for to long, as long as he kept the past as a thought and didn't forget it.. he could always learn from it.

Shaking a few stray snowflakes from his pelt he cleared his throat and asked. "How do you like it here?" he asked softly, hoping that Pepe was atleast content in the lands.
[html]

Pepe wished there was more he could offer DaVinci. He wanted to comfort the other man, but he hardly knew him yet. There would be a time for that, maybe if they grew close. Time would tell. For now, they had enough in common - their home and family. He was sure that was enough common ground to build a good foundation off of. The white man would make a better effort to talk to the hybrid man. They were both carrying quite a burden on their shoulders. It might be easier if they shared it.

"I really like it here," he said. "It isn't like I remember Storm being, and not what I expected. I mean, cows and everything. The cows really blow my mind. It was difficult at first not to chase them and have a snack," he said with a little grin. Pepe was doing better now though. He worked a lot with the herd and found that they had other uses besides just for meat. The milk wasn't bad. He was guilty of sneaking a few sips here and there.

"I'm trying to make this place home," he said. Having been without a home for seasons, he was having a tough time. Sometimes he woke up and didn't know where he was still. But things were becoming familiar and easier. "I'm in it for the long haul, though."

[/html]
DaVinci nodded at the words that the young one spoke, honestly he came to realize as the other spoke that he wasn't that young, that actually he was probably along the same age as him. Shaking his head slightly at the realization he just listened to Pepe's words as he tried to push away the thoughts that had once clouded his mind so quickly that morning.

Stretching out his arms over his head DaVinci took a deep breath before he spoke, "I'm glad you're enjoying it.." he said honestly, a small playful smile appearing on his maw as he couldn't help but chuckle at the words the kid admitted next. "Well.. you're not the only one. Mother had some pretty strange ideas.. but they were smarter than anyone could have imagined." DaVinci wouldn't have been caught dead admitting such a thing to his mother but he would to another. In the end he knew the words would get back to her but atleast this way he wouldn't have to subject himself to listening to her thanking him for anything. He really hated when she got all sloppy and lovey dovey.. though that was the old woman.. this new strange beast that had stolen the woman away was something different, something he could put a finger on.

Sighing and letting it go he ran a hand against the fence rail beside him as he turned away from Pepe to gaze at the cattle. Leaning against the rail, assuming that the boy would join him if he wished the silvery blue hybrid spoke again. "It's not that hard to imagine this place home.. it sortof grows on you." even if you don't want it to he admitted to himself alone. He had no real plans of staying in the lands after his children had grown.. and yet here he still was with no intentions of leaving now.

When Pepe spoke of stay in it for the long haul DaVinci just stared off into the distance as he softly agreed. "You and me both kid.."
[html]

DaVinci called him "kid" but he found he didn't mind it. From the sound of it, DaVinci had a lot more life experience than Pepe did anyway. And at times he still felt as though he had never grown any bigger than the skinny-as-a-rail puppy Iskata had found at the borders in Storm. Of course he had grown, had changed, and had become an adult. His interests had changed, but his personality hadn't. He was still has open as always. He was an open book and he wore his heart on his sleeve. He didn't think he could live any other way.

He joined the hybrid man, leaning against the railing as he looked at the cows. He had come to this new place, and it seemed as though things were changing already. He felt like he was in an enormous game of catch up and he didn't know if he could keep up really. Iskata had been Matriarch when he arrived and she had stepped down a week later. She had been stable, but since Zana's accident the world had tilted on its axis.

"Sometimes I don't know what more I could do to help and it frustrates me," he 'fessed up. He was talking about everything. Iskata, Zana, his place in the pack. And he was looking for advice too.

[/html]
DaVinci stared at the world before them as both men seemed locked in their own internal battles with demons. Some may have been darker than others and some may have just been the simple everyday events that rolled into chaos. He wished that it was easier to just push it all aside and start again. He knew though now that no matter how many times he tried to move along and start fresh that the past would still exist and that the world would still go on.

He just shook his head at the words that Pepe spoke as he picked at the railing before him. "Jefferson says we just have to let it all work itself out." he stared down at his scarred up paws as he admitted. "The waiting is the hard part. It makes you feel like there's nothing you can do." He hated to admit that Iskata was the one who would have to take the next step and sadly the whole pack seemed to be waiting for the move. When it came was up to her and they were all a little lost until she came to them again.

DaVinci chuckled to himself as he looked towards Pepe, "What do you want out of life, of life here?" It was a silly question, but a serious one as well. One that he was rather curious about. He'd played the same game with his son a daughter, now here was a grown man beside him and he seemed to be doing the same. These sort of games weren't dangerous as well.
[html]

"I want to live a life..." Pepe did not know where to begin with this. How could he know where to begin really? He had come to Phoenix Valley for a new beginning, really. His life wandering and searching for Iskata and the family he had known had been an empty one. He lifted his blue eyes to look at the hybrid man. "I want to live a life, where I am connected to other lives. Where I can make a difference. Where I can try and fail and try again." His new beginning had turned out to be the end of something. With Iskata ailing, her personality turning stormier every day, he didn't really know where he stood.

All he knew now was that he owed it to his pack and to himself to be as useful as possible. He wanted to grow and thrive with others, to be cut down and feel their pain. To help lift them. He wanted to live and he didn't want to be alone. That concept was so new to him, though, and he struggled daily.

"What about your life, DaVinci?" Pepe asked. And he wanted to know, really he did. There was so much for him to learn and he wanted to start with the hybrid man.

[/html]
DaVinci listened to the words of the other, he was quiet a moment before he finally nodded at what the other had said. Though they weren't deep they were obviously thought out. DaVinci was a dreamer and his answer would have went further in depth if he'd actually given an honest reply. He turned his stormy eyes to meet the light blue ones as he spoke. "Phoenix Valley is the perfect place to make mistakes and try again.. and again." and again. He thought. He knew that the members of the pack had all made many mistakes in their past and now the pack seemed once more at peace except the once leader. He knew in time she'd either move on or she'd find her own peace of sorts. "Even when it seems impossible."

He turned to gaze off towards the pastures and padlocks where the cattle and sheep were during the daytime, during the evening and at night they were locked away in the barn and the yard where they could be kept closer together and not have to worry so much about other preditors. DaVinci knew that Pepe had just put the creatures up for the night and he nodded to himself in approval. He almost hadn't heard the question from the young male but when it did register DaVinci flicked his notched ear back and frowned slightly.

He cleared his throat as he turned back to Pepe. "What about mine?" he asked. He wasn't against sharing his thoughts on life or his own experiances.. but he didn't know just what all the boy was wanting... or perhaps he didn't want to give him every answer there was. DaVinci's life really didn't make sense. He had a cruel streak in him, and yet he was kind and caring.. he wasn't normal and in a perfect world he didn't fit the mold.