Humming the perfect lullaby
Noon. The sun was making Catherine sweat with the heat. She was walking in two-legs through the tribe's territory, hoping to meet other wolves from AniWaya tribe or a Loner. Inspite the horrible heat, she was happy about belonging to a pack. It felt nice.
But she was wandering that way just for fun: she wanted to know the territory before she would start doing something useful. Looking up to a tall, big pine tree, she found her perfect spot: somewhere to see everything at once.
Sinking her claws in the rough wood, she puled herself up, reaching the first branch. She pulled up again and again, branch by branch, like a monkey, until she found one that was thick and strong enough for her to sit in it. As she sat, she pulled a few leafs and put then together with a string, making a shelter from the sun. She rested her back on the tree's trunk, and stared at the ground, wishing she would not fall asleep in here. It would be dangerous if she falls from such height.
She grabbed her legs to her chest, curling herself into a ball. "Who would be the first one I will see?" - she thought. She started humming her mother's lulaby, the one she used to sing to make Catherine sleeps. "I'm so idiot" - she murmured to herself, but kept humming the calming music. She was sure someone would hear her, but she didn't care.
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/c ... cwk12c.jpg);background-color:#000;background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position: bottom;padding-bottom:259px;">

Leland was slowly but surely becoming accustomed to the packlands. He knew the general layout of the territory and where the big points of interest were, certain member’s lodgings (though he didn’t always know the member), the barn where the horses where kept, the best fishing spot (or so Leland thought) but he hadn’t come to know all the intricate details just yet. He did not know every twist and turn in each beaten path, did not know every tree, rocks and river like he felt he should. More and more he was beginning to find a love for random wanderings of the pack lands, scouting one could say, and it was this activity that occupied the male when he found the lady up in a tree.

Craning his neck up, bringing a hand to his head to shield mismatched eyes from the sun, Leland grinned up at the grey female, whom seemed to be drowsy up in the branches of the tree. "Aaahh, aye miss, what er ya doing up in that tree?" It was as good a greeting as any.

[/html]
[html]

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr87 ... rsouls.jpg); background-attach:top center; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-color:#eee;">

Catherine was finishing humming when someone called from below. She sighed in relief when she saw it was someone from the pack because of the smell. "Well, I like to climb trees." she said calmly to the male while she jumped from branch to branch, like a monkey, toward the ground. "Actually, I've been kind of living in this one since I joined AniWaya." she told him, pointing at the tree she just came down.

She noticed that the colors of the male's eyes didn't match, but she didn't really care about that: she is not prejudiced for anything. Actually, she thought their colors were cute. "By the way, my name is Catherine, mister." she introduced to the unknown male. She thought about her peregrine falcon, Seymour, which was probably wandering through the pack territories or hunting a mouse, so she didn't had to worry. She sat on the earthy ground, waiting, a small smile flashing in her face, while she waited for his own apresentation.

[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/c ... cwk12c.jpg);background-color:#000;background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position: bottom;padding-bottom:259px;">

Leland watched as the female approached the ground, amused at the way she swung from branch to branch, as if canines were meant to live in trees rather than on the ground. Yet this one claimed she did, and though Leland did not think any less of the girl for such a strange living situation she did chuckle kindly at her. The husky mix had never heard of such a thing before. "Well then miss, wha’da ya do when it rains? You still stay in that tree then?" Or did she take shelter some where else? It was winter, rain was a rarity but when it did rain it quickly froze and having the ice frozen to one’s fur was not only uncomfortable, it was a health hazard.

Dipping his head in greeting to the lady, Leland held out a hand to be shaken, he had seen it done by others though he hadn’t introduced himself in such a way before. There were a lot of things Leland did not with his Luperci body that he had never done with shifted with four legs. "Ah, excuse me miss! The name’s Leland, it’s a pleasure to meet ya!” And it was, there were so few in Aniwaya that Leland knew. He had met the leader, once, but only DaWali and Asha did he know well, and even those two he did not see as often as he would like. "So, how do ya like living here, in the tribe I mean?" It wasn’t a rude question, the tribe was still fairly new enough, everyone was making an adjustment living in it.

[/html]
[html]

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr87 ... rsouls.jpg); background-attach:top center; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-color:#eee;">

Catherine didn't take his question in a blunt way. "I have coats. But when it's raining too much, I hide under the old fox den on the tree's roots." she told him, pointing with one finger toward the exposed roots, where there was a broad hole between them. The den was not very big when she found it, so she digged it bigger until there was room enough for her and Seymour.

She watched Leland rise one hand toward her. Fortunately, she knew what to do. She hold and shook it, smilling politely. After three shakes, she let go. "Nice to meet you, too." she greeted back. It was nice to meet someone else of the tribe. She had been waiting for it a while, since she joined. "Well, it was plenty easy to find a place to sleep, but I haven't been wandering by the territories. I don't know them very much." she said. "I know about the horses, but I never saw then. I don't know if I can ride then." she confessed. She had read about horses in a book, but didn't really hoped to learn to ride then. She knew they are tall, strong, fast... If she falled, she would get pretty hurt. "So, did you already choose your rank path?" she asked politely to him, not wanting to be rude. She just wanted to change the subject.

[/html]
[html]

Leland raised a brow and chuckled at the girl’s answer. "Coats huh? Well, why don’cha built one of them dwellings like everyone else has?" The fox den was probably cozy, Leland himself slept in a small den. The buildings the tribe constructed were too complicated for Leland to attempt just yet, better to try and build them when the weather was fair. He didn’t blame lady for not having a dwelling of her own, but he was just curious.

Her shake was firm and friendly and Leland couldn’t help but grin as she introduced herself. The conversation had no lull, Catherine seemed animated and jovial, Leland caught the spirit quickly. "Aye, I’ve seen them horses, but I haven’t ridden on one yet either. Big brutes… not sure how’d they like me hopping up o’ their backs!" Perhaps they would have to practice, Leland wished to fit in with the tribe as fully as possible. He hadn’t even set foot outside the lands since joining. "Ah, I’m a Tsula Agateno. Scoutin’" The wide grin found it’s way back to Leland’s face. "What about you miss?"

[/html]
[html]

Catherine tilted her head at him. "A...Dwelling? What is a... Dwelling?" she asked, confused. She didn't really knew what was a... dwelling. She even knew how to spell it. Whatever it was, she prefered the secure of the the tree. It was high enough for any big creature to climb it, and she could handle if any did. And her second was the little den. It was a little bit small, she admited, but it was comfortable and useful. She would keep them to have to build something from nothing, the way she was lazy.

She laughed silently at his comment of riding horses. She tried to imaginate that scene, and she laughed again. "Yeah. I don't know how the humans did it. I mean, they are a little...intimidating from a certain angle." she said, nearly confessing her...fear of riding horses. Not the creatures, but the action itself. For her, it was suicide. Let yourself in the hands of one those animals, if irritated.

"Really? I'm a Tsula Agateno too." she said, happy to discover that she wasn't the only scout around. It sounded good: in a way, she wouldn't be doing everything alone, and in the other way, it was good to have some sort of similarity with someone. At least, they would have a subject to talk about. She smiled timidly at the possibility of talking to the male again. He seemed very nice, and the way he talked was funny, in the good way. She was really liking him. Her tail shook a little bit, while she hoped him not to notice it.

[/html]
[html]

Leland perked his ears and raised his eyes at her question. Had she really never seen one of those creations a lot of the members of Aniwaya lived in? "Buildings. They make ‘em here, an’ live in ‘em. Have ya seen the barn they keep the horses in? Like that, only smaller an’ cleaner... Ah don’t have one though. Just sleep in a plain ole den." Catherine wasn’t the only one to have not conformed to the Aniwaya way of life just yet. One day Leland would live in one of those dwellings that they made, hopefully Dawali would help him build it, but for now he was content with his den.

Leland smiled at the comment about the horses. Indeed, he had yet to climb atop one, he had no idea how Asha and the others did it so easily. Catherine and him had more in common it seemed. No building, no riding horses. If he was the odd one out, at least he wasn’t alone. He was drawn the female because of that. "Aye, I think mayhaps the horses er nicer to look at than to ride, eh?"

And still, more similarities came to surface. Leland laughed out loud and slapped his hand firmly against his thigh as she announced her rank path. "Well then, doesn’nit just take all? You an’ me scoutin’, mayhaps we’ll patrol the borders together, huh? " It was a novelty for Leland to find another with so many similarities as him in this clan, he had believed he was the only one who didn’t fit in so well. "Where’d ya come from before here, Catherine?"

[/html]
[html]

Shoot, it got so big... sorry -.-'

Catherine whistled lowly and nodded at his explication. "Oooooh... I see. Sorry, I just didn't know it by this name, but I do know them. Actually, I prefer keep like this. I got used to it, you know." she explained herself. She really liked her life like that. It was perfect this way. In fact, he couldn't argue with this way of living of hers: he lived in a den himself.

She smiled once again at his agreement of her comment about horses. She didn't like the idea of riding because a little afraid of them, and because she always thought who would it be to the horse... She made a face at that thought. "Yeah, they are very pretty to see... and think about it for a second: what would it be if you were the horse. Some fatty guy sitting on you, kicking you so you has to run faster, though the weight in your back... That would explaine why some of them gets moody, huh?" she told him. The horses has the right to be free to do what it wants.

She fliched faintly at his sudden reaction at their same rank, but grinned happily with it. "Yeah, sure! It sounds good." she said, her tail swinging even more. She felt well, light with Leland, with so much similarities. If it happen, at least she wouldn't be sleeping lazily at her "bed" because with the boredeness, result of loneliness.

Ow. That question got her by short. She flinched and made a face. Her dark past wasn't something pleasent to her to talk about, but she felt a need to talk about it. "Well, I don't really know from where I come, but I remember it was in a very dense forest, and it used to snow a lot. I lived with my mother, but...! she broke in the middle, her memories aching her inside, but she continued. "But, my father appeared and... it happened he was just a mindless beast. He attacked me and my mother, and killed her. I went after him and killed him too. From there, I just wondered, and when I found myself aain, I was in Halifax - I guess - and ended up here." she finished, her words getting out faster then she wanted to, but it felt good. I was like she got rid of a weight in her chest, but the subject still didn't let her smile again.

[/html]
[html]
Sorry I am taking a long time to reply and my posts are short! I am so busy trying to keep up with Cercelee posts that Leland is getting ignored!

Leland merely nodded and smiled as Catherine explained she preferred a den. All different folks had different ways of life, he didn’t think one was better than the other. Just as many of the tribe members liked to ride the horses and Catherine and he preferred just to watch them. They would slowly adjust to the Aniwaya way of life, but it did not mean that either of them had to give up all the ways they were comfortable with. The Aniwaya tribe would adjust to the outsider’s ways as well. It was compromise and what one did when they meshed different life styles into the same clan or tribe.

"Aye. I know I’d be cranky if anyone wer’ to try an’ ride me." Although, Asha’s horse had not seemed to mind. Perhaps if one bonded with the big beast it was different, but Leland could imagine climbing atop one of the animals without warning the beast first. Catherine seemed to have similar ideas. Just another similarity to put on the mental list Leland was building.

It seemed however their pasts were not much the same. Leland’s mismatched eyes widened at the story Catherine told. Her words seemed surreal, though he knew such events did indeed happen and their were souls unfortunate to live through them he did not spend much time thinking of them. That was not how his own life had been. "I’m so sorry, miss." Leland didn’t know what else to say. Her confession had been so much more dramatic than anything he could say of his own past. The husky mix wasn’t sure if the female wished to say anything more of her own past or change the topic, so he left his words hanging in the air, waiting for her to take control of the conversation.

[/html]
[html]

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr87 ... souls1.jpg); background-attach:top center; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-color:#ffffff;">

No worry, I'm very patient, besides mine are kind of short too^^

Catherine was noticing the similarities between they. She felt happy once again, since that tragic day. She tried so much not to remember that, even though the any nightmares she had had about it. She wasn't very sure if she would want to leave Leland. His presence was so very calming, comfortable and nice. It was like she felt when near Seymour, but thousands more powerful. She smiled back to him, willingly.

She hadn't any more commentary to that subject, so she just let it go. She remembered of going there with Anu and that big mare. That creature looked familiar, thought she knew that she didn't know it. The cream creature had chocolate brown markings and mane. That was a fine color combination, though its size was frightening. She tried to clear her mind from that thought.

When finishing her explanation of her life, she felt so down, though the lightness she was feeling. Of course she was avoiding touching that subject, but she knew she could tell him that. She felt the heaviness that this story left in the air, his reply ecooing inside her head. It was making her sick. Closing her eyes, a small tear falled from her eyes. She went to him, wanting to hug him. She knew she needed a hug, but she wasn't sure how she would be welcomed. Besides, they had just met.

[/html]
[html]
Sorry this is short!

The female didn’t continue her story but seemed to be going over the fine details in her head. The warm smile she gave given him that made him feel more light and happy, was gone now as she seemed to relive the distasteful events. Leland wasn’t sure what to say, he knew words weren’t what the female wanted or needed so he just waited. The tear that found it’s way down her cheek make the male’s heart lurch for the lady, he hated to see a female in distress and especially now after the two of them had gotten along so well. When she came to him then, the red-hued husky was surprised, but he did not pull back. Instinctively he knew what she wanted and he gave it to her.

Wrapping his arms around her, Leland let Catherine rest her head on his shoulder. When he felt that he wasn’t doing enough to cheer up the female he strengthened his hold on the women, leaning his muzzle in closer to her head and whispering to her. "It’s okay. Everythin’ ist okay now." Although he had initially taken hold of the female because it had been what she wanted, Leland found that he did not mind the closeness they shared now, it was reminiscent of the feeling when he was allowed close to Asha. He found also that he was reluctant to let go.

[/html]
[html]
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... blebot.png);background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;">
--

Catherine couldn't help but to hug him. His presence made it so much easier than alone, as it used to be. Her revenge didn't help, and neither did to get depressed. Actually, it made everything even harder. Now, even blink was a torture. Sleeping was terrifing, as she was having nightmares nearly everytime. That hug was all she ever needed, but she didn't know it. Only now she realized it. It was good to feel his arms around her, his voice whispering at her ears. More tears rolled her eyes as she close them and cuddled her head in his shoulder. For a second, she was relieved that it all happened. Because of it, she had met Leland. Not only him, but many others. So many experiences that she had, and so much more that she didn't and that she can now... For the first time, she was seeing the good side of her parents' death. She took a deep breath but not pulled away from him. It felt too good to let it go. She was afraid that when he leaves, all her suffering would come again.

"Sorry, but... It feels so good..." she breathed out. If it depended on her, she would never let go of him. She realized the bond she was building with him, and it seemed a little more than just friendship. She couldn't understand it very well. She didn't know what was that feeling, but she gave up. It seemed to be too much to her now. She just kept there, in silence, waiting, not really sure of what was it.

[/html]
[html]
So you want to wrap this up and start our next thread? Maybe just fade this one out?

Catherine did not pull away and Leland did not resist. The husky mix was able to stand there and hold her as long as she wished it. Or perhaps as long as she allowed it would have been a better way to describe, for Leland was enjoying the intimacy as much as she. Asha had not sought him out since her ankle had been broken, and while she was in the back of her mind most days, he found that for once she did not taunt him from afar. Asha was not in his thoughts as all as long as he held Catherine and that was a blessing. If she as unobtainable, which it seemed she might be, he would not feel guilty for feeling happy elsewhere.

"Don’t apologize miss. We can jus’ stay here fer as long as ya’d like." Her weight leaning against him, her tears falling and wetting his fur. None of it bothered him a bit. His only regret was that she had been saddened in the first place, but if he could change that then so much the better. It was exciting and exhilarating to be the catalyst for someone else’s happiness.

[/html]
[html]
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... blebot.png);background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;">
I guess you can finish it and I'll start a new one^^

Catherine was enjoying all of it as much as she could, since she never was that intimate to anyone else. As the sadness faded away, it let her feel happy. Joy, actually. In that moment, all she wanted was to be near him, and everyelse was nothing. She was feeling asleep now. For the thrid time that day. It was rather normal to her, much more when she was feeling so well. As lazy as she was, it was a miracle that she wasn't napping. She tried to shake it off, and it worked. For a few seconds. This wasn't get away, as she realized. 'Shoot' she thought. She didn't want to fall asleep on his arms. It was silly and a little embarassing. A harsh, sharp and pitch, broke the silent between them. 'What the heck? I didn't call him.' she thought irritated. Unwillingly, she pulled her head away, half breaking their hug to grimace at the peregrine falcon that was darting down to her through the clear and sunny afternoon. It floated while she hold up the covered hand toward it. It harshed lowly and cuddled between them and obligating her to pull away completely from Leland. It harshed and flapped its wings toward Leland, in a warning way. Catherine thought for a secaond that Seymour didn't want they together. She sighed as she pulled her hand as far away as she could from the male. The bird climbed to her covered shoulder and looked at her.

"What are you doing here, Seymour?!" she said, trying to make it sound curious, rather than furious. Why?! Oh why did he had to come here right now?! For the first time, she was really angry with it. She would have to kill it next time it do that. Trying to keep calm, she looked to Leland. "This is my peregrine falcon, Seymour. I raise him since he was born. Sorry about that. I don't know what happened to him." she apologized for that sudden attack to him. She feeling so stupid now.Of course she was embarassed with that behavior. It wasn't normal. Seymour was such a caring, warm-hearted animal, and than it do that. 'A very good first impression...' she thought to herself.

[/html]
[html]
So you want to wrap this up and start our next thread? Maybe just fade this one out?

Catherine pulled away and once again a bird was flapping in his face. Leland had experienced something similar with Asha’s bird Jaya and although annoying, he did not make any fuss or complaint. Perhaps birds were just possessive of their handlers, particularly female? Or did he seem that bad of a guy? The happiness he had been experiencing flooded out of him and Leland sighed to himself, nodded absently at her explanation. "It’s okay, he’s jus’ lookin’ out fer you." Yet he did feel bad. She didn’t need looking out for, at least not from him. Leland wouldn’t hurt a fly, at least not intentionally and he didn’t like anyone, not even a bird, thinking otherwise. "I should be goin’ anywaym miss, but I hope we’ll see each other again?" And he meant it. They would meet again, soon too.

[/html]