thread title missing
[html]

cake--

i have come curiously close to the end.

cakeShe sat on a rock in the northeast of Inferni, watching a few stray crows as they flew by overhead, for a moment becoming nothing but black dots in the sun's shining halo. It was a relatively clear day, surprising given that it had been overcast the past little while. Talitha was taking advantage of this and enjoying the relative warmth; the lack of wind made it tolerable, though for the most part her thick fur kept her warm. Against the rock on which she sat was an old acoustic guitar, one she had found in the city after returning and adopted as her own. Sometimes it made her think of Laurel, but those days were long gone, memories of another life locked away in her head.

cakeLeaning back on her arms, the doglike hybrid gazed at the blue winter sky. Though relaxed, she was alert, red eyes clear and sharp, as always. Vaguely, she noted the clouds forming in her peripheral vision, and knew her time here was limited. That was quite alright; summer would come eventually and with it, long days of nothing, or so she hoped. Hey, anything would beat last summer. Within the hour, she would return to the mansion and hide away from the cold, and from the world. This was becoming tiring, perhaps because she didn't quite care anymore. Over the last few months, this had turned into something easy, not caring. The apathy was a nice change from shame, or fear.

cakeIn the distance, the black birds landed, and one of two of them called out, shrill, echoing cries that made the girl idly turn her head. There was likely something over there. If she had been less comfortable, she might have found the will to go investigate.
[/html]
*nibbles on the tool lyrics in your set*
[html]

Sun or no sun, Corona still felt the chill of winter envelop her every time she had done so much as stray from the mansion. If it weren't for the things that had to be done, she wouldn't have bothered, but as it were the borders always needed a good combing through. There was plenty going on that she was unaware of, but other things had made themselves more clear. They had a couple of children that ran loosely about, abashed and for the most part without a parent that really cared. She had caught a glimpse of Ryan somewhere and even thought that she looked different. More maternal, maybe. Older. Jasper came and went and stayed out of trouble.

But they were all nothing more than a series of quickly fading thoughts as she made her way towards the north beyond the mansion, already having spied out someone through the thinning forests nestled against the outcroppings. It could have been Gabriel, from the ears, or even Ezekiel or Talitha. She supposed in some small way that her brother had lucked out by getting kids that looked more like him than anything. Better than the varied sort that they had all become, at least. By the time she had reached the treeless, rocky foothills of the Promontorium, she had identified the shape to be far too feminine to be either her brother or her nephew, so that only left Talitha.

“I think you get bigger every time I see you,” she called out, not wanting to startle what she remembered to be a fragile bundle of nerves. Longer auburn locks aside, her appearance hadn't changed that much. Her tastes on the other hand… Corona noted the guitar as she came to plop down in the damp grass beside her. “I wondered why I haven't heard you playing the piano in the mansion for a while,” she idly spoke, gesturing at the instrument. “Looks like it's in good shape though.” She didn't know anything about playing a guitar, even less than she did about the piano.

[/html]
[html]

cakeEee. -love-

i have come curiously close to the end.

cakeTal heard Corona coming and watched from the corner of her eye. She wasn't jumpy or nervous because she was in her safe place, and because her aunt was one of the few people she trusted. Trust was an issue for her, a lot of things were issues for her; she dealt with them as best as a young girl's mind could, and took her anger out on the world when she needed to. When her golden aunt spoke, Tal smiled, leaning forward to sit up rather than lay sprawled out as she had been before. Bigger, yeah, what a joke. She wasn't that big even now. She was small. But still, she wished she'd had this size when -- stop. Abruptly, her mind flickered onto other things, and she left that path behind.

cake"Yeah, was all she said in reply to that, grinning faintly to herself as she looked at the rock she sat on. Her eyes drifted to her guitar at Corona's words, and the subject was a better one. She loved her guitar like it was a child. Piano? Bah. "Yeah, I found somethin' better. I take good care of it..." As she spoke she looked back up at her aunt. "I knew a guy once who played a string instrument." She couldn't recall if she had ever told Corona that before. The traveller from the gypsy band was a distant memory, but one of the few fond ones she had of strangers. "How are you?" This part was added suddenly, but then her mind tended to skip around like a broken record. Talitha had respect for Corona and wouldn't have spoken to her like she would have a stranger; therefore her words were more genuine than they might have been otherwise. She had lately begun to miss being a member of Inferni, and wanted to be a part of it again; she wanted to be a part of life again. She knew she was ready for it.

[/html]
[html]
How are you? Boy, if that was ever a question to ask. Corona felt like she could have answered that with fourteen different things and it wouldn't have even begun to summarise just how she felt. Truth be told, there were so many emotions shifting through her at any given moment that she simply didn't know what to feel. “I'm okay,” was what she said though. “I'm ready for winter to be over with, that's for sure.” The cold had never been a friend of hers in the slightest, though she tolerated it just as much as the next guy, she supposed.

“So what kind of songs have you learned to play with that guitar so far?” Music was a much easier subject to talk about than how things were and there was a small inkling in her that hoped to hear her play it. She did have a hunch of just who Talitha spoke of, though the thoughts of Esper Hollow had begun to fade. But the sickness that had afflicted them had not been forgotten. Maybe even more absently than her thoughts were, she wondered if maybe that illness had been the very thing that had driven her father and Laruku over the edge. Hopefully Jasper wouldn't be the next to join them.
[/html]
[html]
style="background-image: url(http://i41.tinypic.com/15foxvo.png); width: 385px; height: 571px; z-index: 1; line-height: 10px;">
style="padding: 0px; position: relative; left: 0px; top: 260px; width: 310px; height: 300px; z-index: 2; overflow: auto;">

Sorry for the slow. I suck. D:

YOU MIGHT NOT FEEL IT NOW

"Yeah, me too," Tal admitted to her aunt, glancing down briefly at the ground. She wasn't a big fan of winter, of ice and snow and all the things that came along with it. Still, Talitha was mostly looking forward to this upcoming summer because she wanted to make sure it would be better than her last summer. She was determined to enjoy it, to erase the things that still haunted her when she slept. One day she would move on.

"Not many," the doglike hybrid added with a brief grin, leaning forwards to rest her elbows on her knees. "I'm just kind of messing around with it right now, learning the chords and stuff. It's really fun." She found it relaxing, really; with the guitar in her hands and the music in her ears, she could calm herself, forget everything but the moment. It was something she had needed for a long time, and better she should find it in music than in something less healthy. "Do you play anything?" Talitha added abruptly, struck with a sudden curiosity.

[/html]
It's fine and you do not. D: <3 Me on the other hand, I suck constantly.
[html]
“No, I don't,” Corona admitted with a waning smile. “The musical talent was more of your grandfather's thing than mine.” Ahren had been talented in that area and had been a much more accomplished musician than she would have ever been with practice. Music had never been the catharsis it probably was for him and Talitha. She had found her niche in medicine instead. “Sometimes I wished I had learnt, though. One of my fondest memories is being little and listening to him play the violin.” And she wished he hadn't decided to end it all right along side of Laruku. They were both talented creatures, but troubled. But wasn't that just the way things went? The damned were always those who had some talent of some sort, always the ones that burn out like a candle flame eventually.
[/html]
I wish I would stop doing this. :|
[html]
style="background-image: url(http://i41.tinypic.com/15foxvo.png); width: 385px; height: 571px; z-index: 1; line-height: 10px;">
style="padding: 0px; position: relative; left: 0px; top: 260px; width: 310px; height: 300px; z-index: 2; overflow: auto;">

Not everyone would say that's a bad thing. x3

The mention of Tal's grandfather piqued her interest; there were so few family members she knew outside of her immediate relatives -- and her aunt, obviously -- and she found this kind of thing interesting, history, what happened to the people she'd come from. She hadn't known anyone else in the family had been a musician. On top of that, it was weird to think of Corona as 'little'; she'd always been older than Talitha, and it was natural to the girl to simply assume she'd been alive forever. Logic obviously denied this, but it was something she never had reason to consider.

"Violin, huh? I've never tried it," she told the golden hybrid. In her head, Tal could vaguely picture the instrument: smaller than a guitar, roughly the same shape, but played in a different fashion. "Tell me about him." The sudden comment wasn't demanding, simply curious. She was a learner, problem being she only learnt about things she wanted to waste her time on.

[/html]
[html]
Briefly, she wondered if any of her siblings had ever prodded either one of their parents about their grandparents. Corona had never asked much about Damian, though Misery had told her bits and pieces over the years. She knew nothing of her mother's heritage or the misfortune that had shaped her so; but now she was being asked to describe a man she had been told many things about. She had known him as intimately as a father and a daughter could know one another, though there had always been secrets. An element of allure to him that she could never figure out, though at one point he had been right with the world, she supposed. Matinee had been the balance to the axis and the one who had sent the world tilting off course.

“Well, I guess it goes without saying that he was an interesting man,” she said, focusing on the ground in thought more than anything. She wasn't a storyteller, but she was already mentally omitting things she would not repeat to her niece. “He once lived in Inferni with your grandmother, but it was brief. It was only to raise us until we were able to fend well enough on our own and without both parents, and then he was made to leave by the leader then over some things.” She could no longer remember what Baneesh looked like, or how his voice sounded. What his personality had been like. The same went for Ikatha as well. “His father had led a pack to the west, Chimera, and it was in the case of his cousin, who left it to him after that, because his father had died.”

And briefly, she wondered what it would have been liked to know her grandfather, flaws and all. Would he have hated “So my father became its leader not too long after he was sent away from Inferni. I visited him, I guess you could say, and then one day I decided I wanted to stay with him. Your grandfather was very smart too. He taught me about art, about music, and how to ride a horse too. We were very close when I was growing up. We had a stable there, in Chimera at one point, with a few horses. Everyone in the pack took care of them, or at least the ones that wanted to.” It was hard not to go off on tangents one after the other, but there were a lot of good memories there.

“I wished you could have known him,” she said with a sad smile.
[/html]
[html]

Holy crap, sorry for the wait. I obviously fail at keeping track of what I have to reply to. D:

Tal was glad when Corona easily accepted her request. This stuff, it was interesting stuff, family and all that. These were people who had lived before her whom she had never known, and obviously never would. It was odd to hear of a wolf who would deign to live in coyote territory, but she supposed if you were in love, it made sense, right? She'd never experienced that before, so she supposed she wouldn't know. The bit about horses interested her; why were there none in Inferni? She had seen pictures of humans on horseback, and wouldn't have minded trying it herself.

As her aunt finished speaking, the girl noted the sadness in her eyes, and she thought of how she would feel the day her father died. It wasn't something she liked to consider. Though distant in life, Talitha was extremely attached to her family and just having them around was a comfort, whether or not she saw them on a daily basis. "Yeah," she agreed. Her grandfather sounded as if he had been an interesting man. "At least I know where I got my musical talent from though. Or," she added with a brief grin, "whatever musical talent I have, anyway." Curiosity struck her suddenly as she finished speaking, and she continued: "What happened to Chimera anyway?"

[/html]