Step One: Tame the Shrew
[html]
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/k ... /09vly.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Hanna sat silently in the boughs of a large, sprawling oak tree. It lacked foliage, but for her plan, that didn't matter. She'd sent Tobias out on a special mission to find a pair of deer to be weeded out of their herd. Knowing a deer's flighty tendency, Tobias was to spook the deer and send each one separately toward her, giving her a chance to slaughter the first before the arrival of the second. Sure enough, a stag limped into view, some creature or accident having broken its leg. The hawk could be seen swooping around it, slashing at it with sharp talons or beating its haunches with powerful strokes of his wings. With a sharp cry, the hawk left the buck to its ambling, slowed course, trusting Hanna to track it down and kill it.

Leaping nimbly from her branch, Hanna ran up to the buck, grabbing its antlers and swinging aboard. It did its best to throw her, but she tightened her legs around it and, with a practiced motion, drew her knife and slit his throat close to the jawline. Hopping away from the kill, she dragged it a short ways toward the cabin before turning to watch for the other deer. This one, she saw, walked normally, but it was noticeably ill. Its head drooped, and it seemed to stagger occasionally. The doe was herded much as the male deer was, and she dispatched it the same way. A job well done, in her opinion. Now to prepare them.

Throwing both carcasses over her shoulders, wincing at the pain it elicited from the still-healing left one, Hanna jogged back to the cabin, where a book with a broken binding lay out on her table. She smiled at the stretching rack she'd formed for the bear hide, which she'd skinned before lacing it into the stretcher. There were still ragged chunks of meat clinging to it, but that would soon change. It would look lovely once she was finished with it. Its brains still sat in its skull in the snow, waiting to be rubbed into the hide, and a stone she'd found to be suitable rested next to the woven stretcher, ready for use. Hmm.. Three things to do, and two hands to do it with. Time for back-up. "Svara!!!!"

[/html]

A little gross, but it's research
And another
On skinning
Different forms of tanning.
[html]

OOC:: Um I had Svara in the Cabin I hope that's okay cause she wouldn't be out this far unless she had a reason to be.

Svara wanted to rip someones throat out. Well manily Hanna. The women was driving her nuts. Stiches, bed rest, not talking back, and worse she was expecting her to shift! A growl of annoyance escaped the childs maw. She really couldn't take much more before she snapped somethings head off. When the womens shout rang out a groan of impatience seeped from the she wolf before rolling off her side onto her stiff legs. Moving almost sluggishly to the door and peeking out of it like she had no intention of coming fully out.

"What do you want you harpy?" Svara grumbled at the black female. When her yellow eyes flicked over the carcasses and utensils she suddenly knew what the female wanted and it made Svara growl in anger. "No! I won't shift. Not in a fucking god damn million years you black spawn of satan!" Turning around quickly she slammed the cabin door shut and went to lay back down her head on her paws and a stuborn look on her face that showed her pissy nature.

[/html]
that's fine. It's where I wanted her, actually, but I couldn't do it without it being powerplay, lol.

ETA: Finished, finally.

[html]
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/k ... /09vly.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Smothering a growl at the pup's insubordination, Hanna spoke loudly again, "Svara!!!! Get your bad-tempered, fluffy tail out here, now. We need to talk." She turned to her task while she waited for Svara's return. Tracing the hind legs of the deer to the hocks, and feeling the bones around that area. She took the leg in both hands and snapped it across her knee just below the joint, and then pierced the back of the thigh near the joint. It was strong enough, she could tell, to hold the deer up to the tree by, and after fishing some braided leather thongs out of her satchels, she secured both deer to the tree by their hind legs.

Now that the deer were prepared for Svara to skin, Hanna could turn her attention to the bearhide in its rack. She picked up the stone she'd set aside, hefting it and testing its sharpened edge. She'd been lucky to find this rock, and if it broke she'd have to settle for one of the deer's scapula. Leaning firmly against the hide and applying pressure, Hanna went about scraping the flesh pieces off of it so that she could easily rub the brain solution into the hairless side of the hide. She paid special attention to the rump and neck areas that were thicker than the rest, thinning them out.

Once the hide was pristine and smoothed, and the woman could see the pores of the skin, Hanna collected her bowl that she typically used to boil things in and melted snow by adding the brain and mixing the solution with her fingers till it was relatively unclumped. She then started a fire and began cooking the mixture. While it cooked, she rubbed the hide with a rough stone, buffing it. Since the braining solution had cooked appropriately, she cooled it in the snow, and then began working the brain mixture into the hide.

After she finished, she allowed it to dry, then applied the mixture again. She gathered a few towels she'd collected and, dampening them in the snow, draped them over the hide till the next day.

[/html]
[html]

Svara heard Hanna yell out and it made her ears perk, but she didn't move for sometime. She just laied there. Thoughts just ran through her head as she mused and thought about what she would be gaining if she just went out and changed for the damned black female. In exchange the women would teach her things. The thirst to learn had been caused by her father, and she hated him for it. It was just another weakness for people to find in her.

Growling she got up and stalked back outside. When she did get out there she noticed it: The bear skin. She had wondered what had become of the carcass of the animal. Letting her eyes reluctantly move away from the beasts remains she looked at Hanna. Standing there on four legs with her yellow eyes glaring she didn't say a word to the female, but her gaze said everything. It was cold and the smell of blood and animal was strong in the air.

Moving out farther from the door way she came up next to the female and took a deep breath before shifting. Her body changed to show what was almost a teenage luperci body. She was shorter then hanna at the moment. Her hair was longer in this form and her body wobbly and clumsy. Staring Hanna down the young wolfs yellow eyes snapped fire. "Yeah we do need to talk. I won't change Hanna." It was the first time Svara had ever said the black females name aloud, it was akward on her tounge. "I will always be this way. My father made the mistake of trying to change my mother and she ended up killing my brothers and him. I am and always will be....me. If you can't handle that then tell me now so I can leave. I will try to keep my mouth shut best I can as long as you promise to teach me."

Her yellow eyes drifted to that bears skin again. For some unknown reason she wanted it. To give it to the wolf that had come to save her life. Unlike Hanna and the male wolf that had come later, they had come out mostly for firefly's sake, but firefly she had come to help her and Svara knew she owed the female even though she wouldn't admit it. Looking back to the healer the young girl spoke. "If I promise from here on out to do as you say with no remarks or refusals will you give me that bears skin?" Her voice was tight almost shy to ask for it. Yet she did want it, and you couldn't know until you spoke.

[/html]
For now, Hanna's saying no. Things may change if Slay and I have a thread where she presents it to him.

[html]

Hanna sighed at the girl's reaction. She'd shifted unwillingly, but Hanna took it as a good sign that Svara had at least addressed her by name. Unsheathing one of her knives and handing it to Svara, Hanna walked to the deer, avoiding what she'd been wanting to say, unsure how to say it without completely raising her ire. "Svara... hun, I don't want you to change. I'm not asking you to completely rearrange your lifestyle. Not exactly."

Another sigh; she'd never been the best at forming her thoughts into words. "What I want from you is some sign that you can deal with the public without making them want to slaughter you. You have to be tactful if you are going to be Dahlia's Herbalist. If you think I'm a harpy, or that I'm the devil's spawn, that's fine; just keep it to yourself till I'm out of hearing. Does that make sense?" She hoped it did. The medic wasn't sure she could explain it any easier than that.

Svara asked then if she could have the bear pelt. Hanna was taken aback. What on earth would possess the girl to want the skin of the bear that nearly killed her? Hanna had other plans for it anyway; there was a certain piebald wolf that she thought deserved that skin, especially if he came to visit her. It would be soft in the summer, and warm in the winter for him. The deer skins were hers, and Svara's if she liked; less luxuriant, but they would work all the same. She hedged, then decided that honesty was probably the best policy. "I wouldn't have a problem with that, but... I'm tanning it for someone else." She gave the girl a knowing look at the 'someone' figuring she might have some crass comment about it. And who knew? Maybe Svara had had a crush or two in her life.

[/html]
[html]

The young she wolf stood in her other form. Tall and lanky, uncomftorbale and clumsy. Her long two legs wobbled under her weight and she felt like she might fall over. Stiffening her muscles she didn't let Hanna know that was why she hated this form, that she felt so weak in it. The knife had been given to her and she took it with out a second thought. Gripping the foreign object it felt light in her hand, but also good. She clutched the thing harder, liking the feel of the dagger in her palm. It was strange how you could obtain a new weapon and find it so appealing.

Hanna's words made Svara nod curtly. "Fine I will keep my trap shut more often. Your still a black demon." She grumbled heading towards the deer with the knife. Looking at Hanna's reply about the bear skin she wondered what the female was trying to get through to her with the simple statment. When it did dawn on her she spoke up. "So you want to rut on it then?" Her manner of speaking wasn't meant to be mean only the simple way she thought.

"I still want that fur, and I don't want it becuase of a male making my legs itch to spread." That comment had been her anger on not getting what she wanted. Dropping the subject before her sour additude got her no where Svara looked at the deer Carcass hanging before her. Already the young female was almost as tall at the black she wolf. "Show me what to do." Svara said almost kindly.

[/html]
Poor Hanna. If you're confused as to how to do any of this, the first and third links show fairly good diagrams.

[html]

Had Hanna been human, she would have blushed scarlet red at the little lady's intuitiveness. She hadn't even gone so far as to think of Slay as more than a crush, let alone to consider them... She shook her head at the image that stuck itself sinuously into her head. Despite whatever feelings that thought elicited, Slay was one of her best friends - one of her only friends, if one were truthful - and Hanna doubted that the male felt the same way she did, anyway.

Flabbergasted, the medic's first reaction was to babble out some negative answer that would lead the girl's ideas away. something, anything, to preserve what little of her innocence was left. Her mouth flopped open and shut several times, a blank stare in her eyes. Finally, she clicked her teeth together and held them there, mainly in response to Svara's second statement. Heh. Not because some male had her legs itching to be spread. Okay, then. "Svara, that was completely inappropriate. No male has me wishing to be on my back. I've known him for awhile now, he's one of my closest friends. Besides, I seriously doubt that Slay - !"

She stopped short, realizing she'd slipped. Surely Svara had run into him at some point, and now the cat was out of the bag, so to speak. Now either her pupil would run off and flap her jaws at him, or else she'd sneer and make Hanna feel bad, though the woman hoped that the girl would have sense and tact not to do either one. An impossible thought - maybe she'd sympathize?

Hanna quickly gripped her knife and walked to the carcass that she was going to use to teach Svara about anatomy on, her skin beneath the dark fur as pale as the snow they walked through. "First, you want to cut a thin line from here at the thigh on either side to the butthole, then straight down the stomach, circling the legs and neck before making the line." She did it as she told Svara how, sneaking occasional glances to the girl.

[/html]
[html]

Svara looked at Hanna and couldn't help but burt out laughing. The face she presented was a gaping mouth and wide eyes. The young girl was happy to know she had flaberghasted the female. It brought her great saticfaction to know that hanna had been stopped in her tracks. It was to good to be true. She waited for the female to say something. To admit to wanting a male in such a way. Her words though were even more hialrious then her damn face! "So it's the Slay character? One of the flea ridden wolves in my pack." A grin was on the females face until she thought about it. That Slay character was Cercelee's mate, and Hanna liked him as more then just a friend.

"You should steal the mutt from that white cotton ball if you want him so much." The young female said in her sarcastic tone. The she wolf looked at the hanging deer and thought about Hanna's situation and couldn't help but feel pity for the black devil. "There are more males like that one, get over him now. Go find a shinnier model." Svara said with that smirk still at the corner of her mouth.

Thankfully Hanna went about showing her how to cut up the deer. The she wolf didn't want to talk about males and relationships, it was all pointless to her. Watching and listening to Hanna she couldn't help but want to show she could do it. Gripping the knife she hoped her arm wouldn't wobble. Svara let her knife follow the path of Hanns starting to memorize the moves. Her arm was weak and was anything but steady, but Svara knew that with time it wouldn't be so bad. She only listened to what Hanna told her.

[/html]
[html]

Wait. Steal? White cotton ball? But... who? The woman's face grew confused, her hand trembling slightly. She stared hard at the girl, wishing she could read her mind instead of having to ask what she meant. There was no malice behind the look, only confusion and indecision. Did she want to know the truth? Did she want to believe that there was little chance of a future between herself and Slay? No. She didn't. That would be too difficult; the female would have rather live on in blissful ignorance. It was too late for that, though. Now the truth hung in the air, thick as smoke, and Hanna had to embrace it and move on. But she needed to know...

She took a steadying breath, and mumbled, "Which cotton ball? Who did he choose?" If it were someone she could fight, perhaps she would, or perhaps if they weren't as well suited as they thought they were... A small hope flickered in her chest, then guttered and went out. It was unfair of her to do this, to hope that his happiness would be shattered so her selfish heart could be happy. It was more proper that she go and congratulate him. Give him a gift. Go through the motions.

[/html]
[html]

Sometimes the young wolf thought that the only thing Hanna was knowledgeable in was healing. It seemed common sense for the female was not her strongest point. Snorting Svara went about memorizing the pattern to cut the deer. She knew she would have to learn how to read and write soon, or memorizing would be her only tatic to learning. Svara made a mental note to find books soon. Though Hannas words were all she could take before loosing her temper.

"Look here female. I'm not here to talk about Cercelee getting to fuck another male that you want. Apparently he found something much more entertaining in her then you, maybe it's your lack of leadership, or your inablity to stick to one damn subject! Now can you teach me to skin the damn deer or are you going to keep sulking over a male that could careless about you?" Svara said in a huff her eye brow risen and yellow eyes non sympathetic.

[/html]
[html]

Hanna did not anger easily, or she'd have already been done with this whole teaching business, she'd have already told Cercelee that there was no way to do it. But when Svara started bitching about her not showing her how to skin the deer on top of the hurt that Hanna had just started working through, she snapped. Her face contorted into a snarl most did not see, and it was all she could do to keep from slapping the girl across the face. Instead, she flipped her hand out, took the knife from her hand by the blade, cutting a clean slice in her palm, and stared her down, her mismatched eyes boring down into Svara's yellow ones.

"Listen here. You get home, and I don't want to see your face again until I come to the borders looking for you. And if you say one word to ANYBODY... Lessons are over. Now git! And take your deer with you. Give it to the pack; they can eat it." She flipped the blade around in her injured hand, grasping the hilt, and with a quick motion, sliced through the ropes holding both animals up. With a disgusted glance back at Svara, Hanna turned, stomping into the cabin to clean up her hand.

[/html]
[html]

Svara wasn't a patient animal. She was hot tempered and loved to hurt. Hanna's response had only made her laugh outloud. The she wolf really was hilarious at times. The knife had been jerked from her grasp slicing Hanna's palm since the she wolf had went as far as grabbing it by the hilt. It was a sign of her lacking that common sense again. When the deer was cut down at her angery words were gritted out Svara only smirked and shook her head.

"I can barely walk in this form, and that is to big for me to carry in my wolf form, so I don't know what the hell your thinking, but you might want to rethink it." Svara said in a laughing tone. Watching the black she wolf go into the cabin Svara didn't do as she told but followed her inside. Her palm would need to be taken care of, and most likely Hanna was to busy sulking over reality to think about it.

When she got in the female was going about washing it, Svara moved over to where all the supplies were and grabbed some achohal pads, yarrow, and bandage. Most likely the female would snap at her or get mad for her actions, but Svara kept that shit eating grin on her face as she went over to the female. Grabbing at the womens wrist Svara was sure she was in for it. "Can't take the truth can you she black demon?" the young female didn't look up her yellow eyes looking down at her palm she was attempting to retreive.

[/html]
[html]

She watched Svara through the window above the sink, her hackles still raised, barely suppressing a deep growl. Tobias shifted uneasily on his perch, sensing her anger. She tried her best to calm herself for his sake, going from flat out mad to simply seething. She heard, more than saw, Svara's entry into her cabin, and debated the merits of kicking her back out. Her pupil walked toward her, though, after grabbing a few supplies.

With a sigh, Hanna stared down at her hands. The bleeding was nearly stopped now, but she would have problems bandaging the wound. It was on her right hand, and the woman was right-hand dominant. With a sigh, she forced her hackles to lie down flat. The yarrow and the alcohol would really be useless used together, since they both did approximately the same thing, but the woman decided that in its own way, this was a good lesson for Svara. Even if she did want to slap her words back into her face. "It's not that I can't take the truth, Svara. It's that this isn't the first time I've liked someone only to find out they've been taken. It really sucks, not that I expect you to understand."

[/html]
[html]

The young she wolf took the two items that she had gathered, not knowing that she could pick on or the other. She took Hanna's hand and ran an acohal pad over the wound quickly taking the crusted blood from the wound, and leaving only the wound and any fresh blood that may come later. Placing the yarrow over the wound she made sure the leaves were flat and started bandaging the wound. Svara had done all of this in silence, remembering when her mother had tricked her father had he had been wounded. Svara had tried to heal him, gather every herb she knew of, anything that would stop the bleeding.

When Hanna spoke though it drew her out of her memories and she looked up at the women. The young she wolf snorted and rolled her eyes. "Yeah I fell in love with my own father and he was killed by my insane mother. I really don't fucking understand." Svara growled sharply. Taking the extra bandage she put it back in an angry huff. A devious smile pulled across her face as she walked back towards Hanna. "But then again at least my love loved me in return, guess your not that lucky." She said in a deep tense voice.

Hanna's statement had hit a spot in Svara. Not many pups could say they had a love life before the age of nine months. The multi-hued female could, the only thing was she missed her father, even though she tried not to. It was such a useless feeling to want a dead man to come back to life, but she did want him back. Svara made a move towards the cot she had been sleeping on and plopped down not looking at the black she wolf as she shifted back to her wolf form.

[/html]
[html]

Hanna watched as silently as Svara was working, wincing only slightly when the alcohol pad hit her hand. It hurt, but it was not nearly so serious a slice as it could have been. Already her jets were cooling, her anger short-lived, so that when Svara finally made her comment about loving her father, it was not more rage, but a wave of guilt and pity that coursed through her body. She waited till Svara had looked away to enact more jaw-flapping, and then after she was shifted, Hanna went to her.

A slim black arm found its way around Svara's shoulders, drawing her into a hug she'd doubtless reject, but it was as much for the medic as it was for the girl. "Aw, Sis... I'm sorry." The familiarity came easily from her lips; though Svara was young enough to be her daughter instead of her sister, and in fact, the way they argued was pretty similar, too, but Sister seemed about right in this case. She had much more she would have liked to say, but that just.. fit.

[/html]
[html]

The moment Hanna's arms were wrapped around her svara wanted out of the hug. Only one person in her whole life had hugged her and it had been her father. Pulling back she almost snapped at the women to get out of her arms. Ducking out underneith she sat behind her in her wolf form, fangs bared and her breathing hard. Svara remembered her father so much at that moment it burned. When he died it was like loosing her mate and father all in one, it had been beyond bareble.

"Svara.." His gentle hand pushed her hair out of her eyes and Svara smiled at the man above her. Compared to her small young body he was huge, but he had told her she was tall for her age. The young girl put her arms around his strong neck and buried her face against the thick fur. In these moments the young girl kept her mouth shut and just enjoyed them only listening and feeling. "Svara...I love you baby." Her father said roughly into her ear making Svara feel selfish and happy about it.

Shaking her head she stared at Hanna and remembered what she had called her. "I'm not your sis, my two siblings are dead and I don't want any more of them." Svara rumbled her yellow eyes narrowed in anger. She didn't like having pity sessions about what she had lost in her life, or what Hanna couldn't have in hers. Like Svara Had told Haku, life was about getting hurt, and dealing with it. "And for future notice, I don't want to talk about my father with you. Ever." Svara said bluntly turning away from the women and trotting back outside to the deer seeing if she could figure out a way to carry it back to the cabin she lived in.

[/html]
[html]

Despite knowing that the girl would pull away, it made Hanna ache inside. She wished she could find some way to bond with the girl who seemed unbondable, some way to be her friend instead of just the harpy spawn of hades that was teaching her to heal. It was a real shame that Svara had turned out the way she was, so bitter at such a young age. From what Hanna understood, it made sense, but she was no psychologist. There had to be some way to crack the shell, to make Svara realize that what Hanna was feeling wasn't pity for her, it was sorrow.

It was sorrow for the way parents' selfish stupidity - or stupid selfishness, when it applied - spoiled their childrens' chance at true happiness. It had been similar in her situation, though not to the same degree as Svara's and definitely not to the degree of her missing sister, Colibri. It impacted each member of the family differently, but none came out quite the way they should have, had the parents not interfered.

Hanna put a pot of water on the fire to boil for tea. She had some lavender and chamomile left in her pack, she was sure, and the woman knew that the relaxing blend of herbals in her tea soothed her. Maybe it would do the same for Svara, if the girl would only shift back and come inside. As she dug in her pack, she came across a pocket she'd not remembered was there and dug her fingers into it. She withdrew a blast from her past: a little gold and diamond stud earring she'd found in the old lands, in the Concrete Jungle. She'd have to find some way to get it put in her ear, she decided.

She put it back, and then found the packets she'd been looking for and her mortar and pestle. She ground the plants up, then shook them into the water to steep, and went outside. "Svara.. I've made some tea. Come inside and let's talk, I've got a story I want to share with you. In fact..." She grabbed the smaller of the two deer and hoisted it over her shoulder, then turned to go inside. "Come on, I'll cook this deer, and then we can use the other for anatomy lessons."

[/html]
[html]

Why had she chosen to willingly learn from Hanna? Svara asked herself the retorical question 40 times before she made it outside to the deer the hung with cuts in it's coat from Hanna's demonstration. At this rate the women would teach her nothing. Just blabber about life and gossip about bad luck. Sitting down with a huff she growled lowly under her breath. Was she really this crazy to still be sitting here? Grinding her teeth together she kept telling herself it wasn't a big deal.

A few seconds later the she devil walked out. Her gentle voice offering tea a story, and the deer for food. The invatation was so good it made the young females mouth water. She almost moved towards the women, but the girl knew she only became nice out of pity for her. The female pitied her for what her father had done, of course Svara hadn't been complaining, and that was what pissed her off. Why she hated people knowing about her family.

"I don't want to hear your stupid story, the tea sounds like a crappy excuse to get me back in, and suddenly I feel full." Svara snapped. Her yellow eyes narrowed at the women. She wanted to be stuborn, to make it hard on the female. Though it dawned on Svara it was only going to make it harder on herself. Releasing the breath from her lungs and untensing the girl didn't say a word as she walked up to the cabin and inside going to the place she liked to lay and found a comftorbale posistion. Maybe common sense was starting to sink in.

[/html]
[html]

Hanna merely shrugged at the girl's tantrum and turned to walk around to the side of the cabin. She began cutting the deer to best cook it, whistling a little tune as she did. As she cleaned the doe, she fed tidbits to Tobias, who'd come out to join her through the window over the sink. The liver she set aside to cook specially, scolding Tobi when he tried to sneak off with it. Finally, the haunches were separated from the animal, the fur taken off for a special kind of tanning that would allow them to be used as clothes or to clean up messes. When washed, they would stiffen, but with a little working, they'd soften right back up.

She stood up and stretched, popping her spine and then grabbed the rear haunches. She stoked the fire, and then laid the haunches in the fireplace to roast. They smelled lovely by themselves, but she returned to her bag and grabbed some thyme leaves to sprinkle over the meat, withdrawing it to rub the herb into it, then returning the haunch to the fire. She ducked outside to clean her hands in the snow and to pack the liver in the white stuff to freeze, then went inside to finish preparing the tea. It had steeped well, darkening to a light honey brown color, and she poured it into a pair of cups, straining it through some of the cheesecloth she'd found and boiled. She set one cup on the table in front of a chair, and sat in the other chair, sipping at the cup and smiling, her eyes shut.

She motioned to Svara to come sit, and then sighed. Where to begin her tale?

"Hanna speaks"

[/html]