Bartering for the life of another
[html]
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/k ... ump/07.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
Sorry for the crap reply.
Word Count: 467

Iskata's presence dwindled as she fell silent, more interested in resting her head by the horse than the meeting going on before her. For an ex-matriarch, she did not seem to care at all, although he could not judge her, not knowing her at all. Dawali could easily understand, though, that she had given away her position if she was recently blind - as the state of the wounds suggested. He was a medic, had an eye for such things. He had already left the female mentally when she excluded herself so - before he started explaining his offer and trustworthiness to the matriarch, and now she was like air to him - she did not move or speak, thus he did not pay her any attention at all.

Jefferson waited before he replied, and once he did Dawali felt somewhat uncomfortable. In reality, he had intended to take the food to the horses, not the horses to the food, especially since foals could be really jumpy if their mothers got stressed, which they inevitably would be once strangers were around. Secondly, he'd brought Bella for this purpose. Thirdly he did not know what Ayegali might think of it - she would have a plan and know how many horses they had spare, if any. The red wolf male considered the proposal, and glanced back to Bella. She'd been the more tolerant horse they'd had in the past year or so, and would thus be suitable. Although, didn't this pack already have horses? Otherwise they wouldn't have the food, right? What did they need the AniWaya horses for, if they already had horses? Puzzled, Dawali looked to Jefferson and simply went with the truth - it was much easier.

"Well... For one I'm not certain how many horses we can spare, as I can't say anythong about the summer workload until I see it.. I also intended to bring the food - if you would trade with us of course - to the horses, as the young ones are extremely jumpy, and strange lands and people might be too much of a strain." Pausing for a moment, Dawali caught his breath, and looked to Bella for a second, glancing at Iskata who laid there calmly at the horse's feet. "It's not that I don't want to give you what you want, it's just that I don't know if we can afford it. Although, the two foals are outside of season, so they are sort of left over. They can't be given to you until they are large enough to eat by themselves and tolerate the absence of their mothers, though." Pausing another time, he added, more as a mental note, but it was definetely part of the conversation. "Then there's Bella, of course. She's not that old."

Table by Pilot/Anna! <3
[/html]
[html]
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... etable.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Mm, finish soon?

He nodded, understanding. Dawali was still something of a stranger; even if he went back and told his pack that Phoenix Valley and AniWaya were allied, there was still no point in sucking them dry of their resources. Besides, the one-eyed brute wasn't that heartless, and they did have enough horses of their own. In all reality, he didn't much care for trading--he would have lodged the houses without anything in return, but with Iskata's presence, he didn't want to look... bad. He didn't want her to think he was a careless leader in any which way, even though she probably wouldn't have considered him as such in a thousand years. Most likely, she would have said something by now.

"Don't worry about it, then," he shrugged, smiling comfortably. Hell, just get the deal over with so the poor guy could get back home. "I don't mind if you leave your horses here. I can't assure you they won't be used sparingly by my members who don't know any better, but I live in the farmhouse beside the ranch. My subleader and I check in on the animals often enough." Springtime was slowly approaching; it would be nice to see some new animals grazing, even if for the sake of seeing peace in the packlands.

[/html]
[html]
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/k ... ump/07.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
Done, you can post again if you want or something!
Word Count: 327

Dawali studied his colleague, as he considered him that, both having ranks in leadership of a tribe or pack, as the one-eyed male nodded. As he opened his mouth to speak, the red wolf noticed the friendly tone, and mentally gave himself a pat on the shoulder. He'd done good, was on good terms with this Jefferson of Phoenix Valley, and for this he was glad. Not so many packs were known to him, and certainly not all of them had become known to him via something positive, like this. Perhaps the food was somewhat overpriced - trading horses for horse food came to Dawali as somewhat folly, although he did not want to offend, and he desperately needed this food should the foals and their mothers survive. So right now he traded two horses for four horses lives, and it was fair enough, probably. Jefferson spoke of caring for the animals, and Dawali found himself smiling and nodding, glad to know that there were members who knew how to tend them and care for them properly.Indirectly he also learned that they did have housing for them as well, which comforted the man. Everything was good-looking on both parts of the deal. Casually, Dawali bent down and picked up his leather satchel on the ground, signalizing that he was considering the conversation at its conclusion. "Sounds all good to me. I'll bring you two adult horses one of the following days, and pick up the food then? I'd best get back home now." Again he nodded his peculiar greeting (this time more of a signal of departure), a prolonged nod directed at first Jefferson, then Iskata, who was still there, but quiet and preoccupied with Bella. He did not wait for a response from either. One foot kicked sand onto the fireplace until it stopped giving off smoke and light, and soon he was on top of the horse, smacking his lips to direct her forward.

Table by Pilot/Anna! <3
[/html]