Where you are I'll never know
[html]
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... bottom.png);background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;">
--

This winter was full of precipitation, it seemed. The alabastor wolf crossed one of the hills around the border slowly, paws making light sounds in the freshly fallen snow. She was nearly back into shape from her pregnancy, but some things still took her time to do. She wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere, either, and that slowed her progress as well. Naniko didn't care what time she got back to the den, even as the hours passed and the daylight began to wane.

It wasn't until midnight that she approached the cave that she had shared with Anu. She hadn't spoken to the wolf since their argument, hadn't sought her out...and in return, it seemed that Anu had not tried to follow her either. She was curious to see if her mate had returned to their den, if she was staying there at all. What would the pups think if they came home and nobody was there for them? She had checked each night, only entering the den if she didn't smell the scent of the other adult around.

The green eyed female's four paws shifted in the snow, unsettling it as she tried to get a peek inside. The moonlight from above shot nearly straight down into the cave...but she couldn't quite see if there was anyone inside. With a dissatisfied whine the Commander turned, starting back off into the woods. She wanted to see if the pups were there...but she didn't want to face Anu. The leader was still angry with her, for what she'd said, and she didn't want to have to deal with it. Maybe some of the little ones would be in the mansion...and she'd get to feel useful.

[/html]
Hope you don't mind me snagging this. <3
[html]
He couldn't sleep, but that was only because he had fallen asleep in the middle of the afternoon. When the sun had been freely streaming through the tall windows of the mansion, he had beached out on a rug in one of the common rooms and had drifted off, only sleepingly deeply rather than taking a nap like he had intended. As he had gotten older, the more he seemed to move about. The more energy was spent, even though its own reserve was much larger than it had been months ago. But he was still a child and like many children, give them a comfortable place and a suitable amount of warmth and they could be lulled to sleep easily.

But now, he couldn't have gone back to sleep if he tried. Where the house was quiet, outside was as well, but he decided it was better late than never that he made his way back towards the den beneath the moonlight. He followed unknowingly in his mother's footsteps, although it wasn't until he had come up over a hill like an inky shadow and saw her that he realised that he had done so literally. It even surprised him that she was out at such an hour, but maybe she had been looking for him. Maybe something was wrong; he tried to read her body language as he approached swiftly. Tucking his ears against his head and wagging his tail loosely, Salem nudged the underside of her chin once he had slid up beside her, pondering what her reaction to finding him out so late would be.

“Hi, Mama,” he said softly.
[/html]
[html]
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... bottom.png);background-position:bottom;background-repeat:no-repeat;">
I'm sorry for the wait; I'm back from my absence for now. If our internet isn't working I'll try to use the connection in my boyfriend's dorm.

She didn't see quite as much of the pups as before, with them up and running around, but that was alright. They had to do their own thing--they had to go on adventures and learn for themselves. They couldn't always have her with them all the time. There were days when it was harder, and when she wanted to be with them and follow them around...but she was trying hard to refrain.

"Hey, baby. Couldn't sleep? Me either." It was more that she just didn't want to sleep. She wanted to know where Anu was, but she didn't want to actually come face to face with her. She didn't know if she should be concerned that Salem was out and walking around at this hour or not--he was inside the packlands, which was a good thing. "Have you seen Mama Anu out tonight?"

[/html]
Kailier was looking as far as she could see for anything, any sign of someone among the snow. She knew she should be asleep, but she was a natural night owl, which usually made her hesitant to go into her nest, but tonight, she just wouldn't fall asleep like she usually did. She went on, determined to find something to make her fall asleep. She was starting to get a little drowsy, but that changed when she saw some footprints in th snow. She decided that if she were to follow them, she would be happier. Kailier was certainly happy following them.

Kailier was following the footprints in hopes of finding someone. She didn't know why she loved hanging around with other wolves and Luperci, she just did. Kailier had started to follow the footprints in an almost-asleep state when she found the terrain going up. She opened her eyes and saw that she was on a hill. Kailier started to climb it so that she could find the wolves that had made them. Once she was at the top, she saw two wolf figures outlined in the snow. Suddenly, she realized who she had followed. Kailier had followed them, and she felt accomplished, yet like she had done something wrong. Was she supposed to find Naniko as the pup had? She couldn't quite figure out who was the pup. Kailier, although hesitant, went up to the friendly wolves, or Luperci, if anyone wanted to be correct. Was that a smart choice? Kailier didn't know.
[html]
Though it had taken a while, Salem had not really noticed the branching out he had done from his mother. He still saw her and Anu on a regular basis, but he had been learning things. Unlike his siblings, Salem had yet to really stray away from the only home he had never known, not overly drawn in like they had been to the things beyond their borders. It wasn't wise to wander and he understood what creatures lurked beyond them, as one of them had thrown him out on the lake. It was a situation that he did not want to repeat, thus he did not linger around them long. With a shake of his head to affirm that he could not sleep either, Salem studied his mother's face with genuine interest, wondering just what could have been keeping her awake. Did she sleep far too much in the afternoon sun too?

“I haven't seen her since this morning,” he said, “or maybe it was early afternoon. I'm not sure. Is she not in the den?” Concern entered his voice, wondering if this was a strange thing. There had been many of a night he had curled up to sleep and had been alone, though he had later been joined by whomever would be sharing the den. Sometimes he slept in the house, but not without making sure that someone saw him there first. Worrying his mothers and his pack mates wasn't exactly high on his to-do list. The fact that Naniko did not reprimand him for being out late was not only a sign of his ageing into adolescence and towards maturity, but only a proven point that he did well by her word.

As for the distant, hilltop visitor, he didn't notice them initially, though the sound of footfalls behind D'Angelo duo gave her away. Turning his head to look at her, Salem's brow furrowed. Who was this? And why was she interrupting them? But his shyness prevailed and the boy went silent, knowing his mother would be the one to decide whether or not she was welcome or she was better left to go somewhere else. If she stayed, he would simply have to find out what the matter was later, feeling as though if there was something going on, it wasn't something his mother would be sharing with just anyone.
[/html]