A new home in a strange world
[html]
Haku had brought her and her pups to Dahlia, saying that she would be happy here. She felt unsure, herself. She'd gone from being a respected leader to a loner, to low wolf on totem again. And Willow, being the illegitimate offspring of Haku, could be in danger from his mate, Firefly. But Deuce trusted her friend and former lover. If he said they would be safe and comfortable, then so they would be.
She'd found a pretty little house that reminded her of the house that had burned, with a white picket fence. After making sure it wasn't inhabited she and Taliesin spent their time moving her herbs from cabin to house. She'd shifted into her Optime form to make sure the house was fully clean. Her white blonde mane fell into her eyes as she surveyed the house. At her feet, Willow played in the playpen Deuce had found. Deuce felt satisfied with the state the house was in. There was a basement to explore later. For now she wanted to go sit on the porch. The day was chilly, but beautiful. Deuce felt comfortable. It was no Camelot Cove, but it was nice.

[/html]
[html]

Words: 300+
Hope you don't mind me stealing your thread! Couldn't resist! C:

Several days had passed since that night in the vineyards, and she still felt shaken. Maybe Haku would leave her alone now, as long as she stayed out of his way. Would that be enough? She hadn't seen her dear friend Cercelee since her acceptance into the pack, hadn't told her what had happened when she did see him face-to-face... her father.

Hugging her Optime arms tight to her slim torso, the shy female stepped lightly past the old buildings, eying them warily in case they were inhabited already. She had still not chosen a permanent dwelling, feeling a little safer when she was never in the same place twice. She knew her fearful habits were ruling her, but it wasn't something she could help, especially not after that ambush. There were still bruises on her back from where he'd tackled her to the ground, although to his credit, he had not bitten her once.

Her haunted baby-blue eyes studied the house her footpaws had carried her to, one with a fenced yard. That held promise, she mused, thinking again of the garden she wanted to cultivate. She had a great love for plants, although the blooms she enjoyed had a darker side to them, one that fascinated her. With a start, Coli suddenly realized the house was occupied. She saw movement through the window - like a white ghost. The woman was too old to be Cercelee, and the scent didn't match Auntie Mew. A newcomer...? There were several pairs of pawprints about, including a male's and a puppy's. Coli's gaze lingered on the tiny prints, wondering as always what a real family was like. She hadn't yet met her newborn brothers, although Alexey had promised to sneak her in sometime. Maybe it would be alright for her to meet this little one, unrelated to her in any way?

Deciding this would be a good idea, Coli nervously squared her thin shoulders and approached the porch.

[/html]
((If you wanted, she could move in with Deuce. LOL))

Deuce scooped up the pup, calling to Tal and letting him know that the two would be on the porch. When she opened the door, she came face to face with Haku. No, she realized on taking a better look. The stranger was female. Not haku. Willow squirmed in her arms, leaping down to the porch nimbly. The pup stared up at the woman who could have been her twin. Sky blue eyes narrowed. "Not fadder."

Deuce laughed, though her eyes continued to study the stanger. "No, Willow, not your father." She gave the stranger a smile. "hello. I'm Deuce Rhiannon. This is my daughter, Willow." She was a bit taken aback by the fact the she was standing in her doorway, talking to a total stranger, but decided it would be okay. The stranger didn't look dangerous, beyond looking like Haku.
[html]

Words:

That's not a bad idea, actually. They could avoid Firefly together... Smile

Coli's heart flew into her throat as the door swung open before her, still poised to knock. The magnificent figure on the threshold was taller, more graceful, more of everything than she, and she cringed awkwardly as the brilliantly mismatched eyes swept over her dirt-brown fur. The pup's sudden movement distracted her, though, and she stared in wonder as the little girl landed on the cold floor of the porch, gazing up at her with those familiar sky-blue eyes...

"D-deuce Rhiannon, and, Willow," Coli stammered in recognition. She had not heard either name before, having been away from the pack lands on her own. Haku had certainly never kept her up to date with the wolves he consorted with... She could not, however, stop staring at the little one. Willow, her name was? Willow looked nothing like her pristine white mother. No, she looked uncannily like Coli, who looked uncannily similar to Haku...

"Your... daughter is lovely," she murmured shyly, dropping to her haunches to greet the child eye-to-eye. "No, I'm not your father, but..." Coli brushed the long streaming hair from her face, glancing up meaningfully to the beautiful mother. ...I'm guessing we have the same "fadder".

[/html]
[html]
yay table. LOL
And yay housemates. LOL

She watched as the stranger dropped to her knees to greet Willow. There was no introduction yet. Deuce assumed it would come in time. Willow stretched her neck out to sniff at the stranger. "Choo smews wike fadder. Fadder is hachoo. Ma says I wook just wike 'im."
Deuce hadn't known Haku had a daughter, he hadn't told her of that. She didn't know of any pups he had, beyond Firefly's litter. But given the girl's striking looks, she must have been his child. Seemed his pups had a way of turning out like him. Deuce tucked a strand of hair behind her ear before responding to the stranger. "It certainly appears that you two share blood. Perhaps you would like to come in and we can talk?" She was open to listen, although she'd be horrified at hearing what Haku had done to his oldest child, a child who was actually younger than her oldest.

[/html]
[html]

Words: 199
Housemates! C:

Gratitude crossed Coli's delicate features, and she straightened up, silky hair cascading back down her slim shoulders. "I... would be glad to come indoors," she murmured, bowing her head politely. She liked these two already, the mother and child, although the unfamiliar male scent indoors had her a little worried. She assumed that would be Deuce's mate, although not Willow's father, of course. "M-my apologies, I forgot to introduce myself-! I am Colibri Haki, known as Coli." Self-consciously the female brushed the powdered snow from her knees, trying to look presentable. The fearless toddler's observation made her smile half-heartedly, but she decided not to reply just yet. She wasn't sure how informed the little girl was about her family, and she didn't want to ruin any stories Deuce may have told her. Still, if they had come here, Haku must have acknowledged his illegitimate daughter... Had Firefly met them yet?

"Pardon m-me for asking, Miss Deuce, but did you come here to raise Willow with her brothers? H-haku... hasn't let me see them yet," she stammered softly, stepping through the open doorway. It took her warm blue eyes a moment to adjust to the lighting inside of the home.

[/html]
The girl seemed ill at ease, but agreed to follow the woman indoors. Deuce scooped up Willow and led the way inside. Willow protested at first, but then nuzzled against the warmth of her mother's chest happily. In Willow's eyes life was good as long as one had mommy around. Deuce glanced at Colibri. This clearly wasn't the female Lucifer had betrayed her with so long ago. "Named after your grandmother, I presume?" She still held some rancour towards Colibri for taking lucifer away, even if the two had later worked out their problems. Haki must be a feminized version of Haku then. interesting.

Her question made Deuce smile a little. "Actually Haku invited us back after we left Phoenix valley. He came to meet her for the first time, and found us living alone with my son, Tal, in Ethreal Eclipse. He was concerned for our safety, so he asked us to join him. I'd heard Firefly was expecting, but didn't get to meet her little ones. I don't know, but I can't imagine she'd want to meet Willow either." She shrugged, althiough the worry that Firefly might bring harm down onto Willow still lingered in her eyes.
[html]

Words:300+

Coli smiled shyly, watching the tender moment between mother and child. That was how it was supposed to be; even if she was a single female raising her pup alone, they still loved each other so much, and it didn't matter how they lived. Coli had never known that kind of familial closeness, and it still tugged longingly at her chest, seeing the bond right before her nose. She wondered off-handedly if her own mother would have taken such good care of her, had she not passed away so young. Probably not, since her mother supposedly had a different mate when she had conceived Coli. She had been unwanted by all sides.

"Ah... g-grandmother, yes, but I haven't met her. Auntie Mew told me that. I... haven't really met many relatives, although I've become aware that I have quite a few in these lands." She brushed the long feathery hair from her eyes, soaking in the details of the small cabin. It seemed quite comfortable. Again she was reminded that she was preparing to spend another night curled up on the cold hard ground outdoors... That wouldn't be so bad if she shifted down to her four-legged form, but she insisted on retaining the agility of her Optime height - but that made her fur so thin, the winter was nigh unbearable.

Deuce's calm explanation surprised Coli, a little. "Haku... invited you? Really? That's... unlike him," she finished awkwardly, realizing she may have insulted the proud woman with the bi-colored eyes. This femme had integrity, morals, a noble stature. Like a leader. And nothing like Firefly. For her to have come here at Haku's bequest... "Oh, Miss Deuce, does he have feelings for you? I... don't mean to pry, but... he's never struck me as a f-family man, so I can't imagine him wanting to bring another child close to him... so..."

[/html]
Deuce nodded at the woman. There was a lot of the Soul family in the lands. It was nice, even if she herself was not a part of the family. She'd come here without ties. Now she was tied to two or more large families in the lands. It was interesting from her perspective. "I knew your grandmother. She was a part of my pack for a short while."

Her statement about Haku made the woman's eyebrows raise. Unlike him? She could see how some would think that. Did he have feelings for her? Her mind returned to a bittersweet night when they'd concieved Willow in a night of mutual need. A soft smile twitched on her lips. "He has feelings for me, yes, but not in the way you think. We are just friends, really. I used to want more, but I am content with my lot in life." Her gaze sharpened, zeroing in on the girl. "Why is everyone seeming to be afraid of him? He's never shown me anything but kindness."

Although, she supposed she could call their first meeting rape. She'd protested, although in the end she'd enjoyed the unusual roughness. She was a strange one, tthough, and with strange fetishes. Afterall, what other female would create a strap on to use on her male mate?
[html]

Words: 300+

Coli blinked in surprise at that bit of news. Deuce Rhiannon knew her grandmother... Perhaps that was how she and Haku had been introduced, as packmates? The young adult did not question the history, though, since the elegant white female did not offer any further information. She was curious about the grand-dam whose name she had inherited, and whether or not she was anything like her - was Colibri Soul quiet, shy, withdrawn as she was? But it seemed a question more suited for Mew to answer.

As she continued, she noticed a change in the new pack member. Wistful... then bittersweet... then suspicious. Coli cringed as Deuce glared at her, demanding to know why Haku was not being treated with respect. "He... the p-packmates all trust him... it's not..." Her stammering tongue failed her, and she turned away, gazing desperately out the window at the white snow. "N-not everyone fears him here... it's m-mostly just me," she finally whispered, ears flattened back anxiously as she fiddled with her claws. The admonishments she had gotten for her behavior - Firefly's fierce rejection, Cercelee's stern warning, Mew's gentle denial - had all shown her that truth. "...I'm glad that he's treated you well, and I hope he continues to do so."

She truly did - if she could protect everyone that Haku might hurt, then she would be happy sparing them that pain. There was something about the man, love him or hate him, that just made him impossible to ignore. To love him, and then have him break you... well... Coli had no idea how to overcome that boundary. It had left her a shell of who she could have been. She didn't want to see this friend of his, or his little daughter, suffer at the hands of his capricious temper.

[/html]
Deuce watched the girl. Something about her behavious brought back thoughts of Dierdre. The sharp gaze softened, and she set down the pup, approaching Colibri slowly. Her hand lifted, resting on the female's shoulder. Her voice was soft as she questioned the female. "What happened between the two of you? Why are you so fearful of him?"

She feared she knew. The words he'd spoken to her when she'd told him of her pregnancy, and now the girl's actions. Her heart was thudding painfully in her chest as she waited breathlessly for the answer. No matter the words the female spoke, she would not deny that the girl was frightened. All Deuce could do was offer her support for this girl she barely knew.
[html]

Words: 200+

Coli flinched at the contact, her shoulder tense beneath Deuce's gentle paw. She didn't like talking about it, especially not to those she was just meeting. Haku blamed her for "running around and crying to anyone who'd listen", but it wasn't like she brought it up on purpose... Others just wanted to know what on earth had messed her up so badly that she could barely speak.

"He... he hurt me, Miss Deuce, in several ways. I'd r-rather not go into details, but basically he left me to die alone... and somehow I lived anyway. I probably shouldn't have. I r-really did mean it, when I said I was glad he's your friend - that's better than having him hate you, it really is." She hung her head in shame, long hair obscuring her countenance. Deuce's paw felt so warm...

Physical contact was so very rare for the lithe werewolf, and she did appreciate it, in a detached sort of way. It wasn't like she looking for pity, though; perhaps it would always sound like that, no matter how she said it. She knew how pathetic she sounded. "M-maybe I should go," she murmured, turning away shyly. "I've burdened you and your family enough already..."

[/html]
He'd hurt her. Well, that much was obvious. Deuce's heart ached for the girl, even as anger rose in her towards Haku. Deuce herself had been a victim of rape once, and she knew first hand the scars it left on a person. Thye girl turned, dislodging the woman's hand. Deuce reached out with both hands, stopping the female. "Don't go..." Her voice was soft, but held a note of authority. Impulsively, she pulled the girl to her in a hug. Her voice was a fierce whisper as she spoke into the girl's ear.

"What happened to you should never have happened, Colibri. No one deserves that kind of pain. No one." She held her at arms' length then, peering into her eyes. "I believe you. I want you to stay here with us. He doesn't come here, and if he does he will not be welcome." She brushed the girl's mane out of her face, tears of compassion stinging her eyes. "I was hurt once too...I know how it feels to live in fear. You don't have to, if you stay here with us."
[html]

300+
This seems like a good place to end for now, unless you wanted to post again! Smile

Coli squeaked with surprise as Deuce pulled her into a hug, the warmth enveloping her. She was stiff at first, startled eyes fluttering in shock, but as the motherly werewolf spoke in her ear, Coli felt herself relaxing in the firm embrace. This was the first person to actually care. Was this what she had been looking for, all along? Alexey and Cercelee had bridled with righteous anger, striking out at Haku for what he had committed so long ago. It wasn't like he would learn from his mistake, though... and when they had met, the capricious man had not offered any kind of closure. Her aunt, Mew, had wanted to pledge her support, but was too loyal to her sibling to want Coli's side of the story. And no one else knew, except from the rumors that spread abound. Those simple, powerful words that Deuce spoke to her... They were the first thing to move her to tears in over a year.

"I can stay here... with you?" Coli repeated incredulously, self-consciously scrubbing the welling tears in her wide blue eyes. Deuce knew what she was going through... Oh, whatever fate had drawn her to this cabin with the perfect little picket fence and the tiny puppy pawprints in the snow, she would be forever grateful. This would be her haven, a place where it was alright to stay, where she needn't fear anything. She could be there for her little sister, Willow, and be friends with Deuce's son, because this would be her family... "Th-thank you... thank you so much, Miss Deuce, thank you! It's the nicest thing anyone h-has ever done for me," she hiccoughed, smiling shakily into the elegant werewolf's bicolored eyes. Her anxiety was not gone, but it had eased, and that was enough. This would be her home.

[/html]