just doin' my time, from 9 to 5.
[html]
This is for Corona, Gabe, and/or Ryan. Since there's the potential for a fair number of people, I'm gonna say no posting order necessary, jump in/leave whenever, short posts fine, etc. We can have one on one follow up threads later if anyone's interested or something. :o

----------faster, faster.. the lights are turnin' red

Maserati had a more active imagination than she gave herself credit for. As she stared at the forlorn piked skulls, images flashed before her eyes of brutal men tearing down others, severing their heads, and putting them up on display as they rotted. Nice, she thought to herself, sighing as she called to Charger. If these folks were willing to do those things to their brethren, she could only imagine the raccoon getting snapped apart in one bite--this image was even more horrifying than the previous ones. At least she could always run away herself if things got too sticky, but with her companion she was slightly concerned.
The marked girl took her time calming her nerves before she let out a call. It was brief, addressed nondescriptly toward the leadership, and light and polite in tone. As soon as the call was out, she crouched down instantly to the ground, ears back, as if her mere voice might induce flying grenades, shrapnel, and a barrage of bullets. Part of her was also irritated--what grown male sent his daughter into the ghetto just to pass along a message? Pfft! Trying to stay open minded, she huddled submissively over Charger on the fringes of the territory as she waited. Despite herself, she was more than a little curious to finally meet these hybrids. Anselm's news seemed basic enough to her; perhaps by gauging their reactions she'd gain a little more insight regarding her otherwise mysterious father.
[/html]
[html]
It was one of those moments, one where someone could very easily find themselves getting ready to lay their hands on something they've been wanting to do for a while when the phone would ring. Or the doorbell would chime in. Or in Corona's case, looking out a grime-less patio door right up until a blackbird had gone sailing into it. The very manner of the bird crashing into a clean pane of glass was bizarre to her, having never witnessed it before, but also startling. Either way, it was only one of many things that eventually told her she needed to get out of the mansion for a change.

So… she did. It helped that it wasn't nearly as bitterly cold as it had been in days past, though it seemed like it would just up and snow whenever it felt like it. But Corona figured as long as it didn't start spitting on her while she was out, then there wouldn't be any problems. And up until a rather random howl came up for the leaders at the borders, the day had fallen into something uneventful. It did not take the gold-haired Lykoi long to reach the borders, though the last thing she expected to find was a wolf crouched over a raccoon. But not just any wolf, she discovered, but one with markings just as unique as they came and a familiar shade of red eyes.

She didn't know how to feel about them, so she opted for speaking instead. “Not every day we get a howler around here. What brings you to Inferni?” She resisted thinking anything, good, bad, even neutral. Why bother? If this girl was smart, she'd be apt to explain everything or be run off. Needless to say, she already had decent manners to knock at the door instead of sitting there until someone ‘opened’ it.
[/html]
[html]
LOL The bird part made me giggle. XD

Anselm, in all of his infinite foresight, had only given her descriptions of Gabriel and Ryan. Even before Corona was visible, Maserati could tell by scent alone it wasn't Gabriel--this was a female. Ryan? She could only hope. Off the top of her head, it seemed it would be much more difficult to seem credible to anyone else. Squinting through lowered eyes as the older girl approached, she felt her heart sink when she realised this was not her half-sister. Beyond that, the stranger was shifted--oh god.
Maserati's red-tipped tail readily curled beneath her body and she all but pasted herself to the ground, thoroughly squishing Charger in the process. Polite manners or no, the raccoon was less than thrilled about his cramped quarters, and he started to squirm, kick, and paw at her chest. Her first instinct was to ignore him, but she found herself raising at least a centimetre so he had some room to breathe. Greetin's ma'am. As her lightly accented voice spilled forward, even she was surprised by how steady it was. This alone was enough to give her confidence. She was lucky Gale had taught her well--she'd never really tried to speak with someone on their own territory before.
Quickly, she moved to introduce herself. Maserati O'Clavin, although Oi suppose 'de le Poer' may be more accurate these days. Oi've got some words to pass along from an Anselm de le Poer. She paused a bit, unsure if she should continue. Do yeh know him? Please say yes, she mentally beseeched the golden lady.
[/html]
Bleh, sorry about the short. I've been pulled away/interrupted ten times in the last hour trying to write this. ._.
[html]
The accent that came forth from the dark-haired wolf caught her interest far more than who she was or her unique markings. Her eyes had given her away as a de le Poer to Corona long before an introduction had reached her ears, but she supposed that name alone made her a de facto relative. “Yeah, I knew him,” she returned with a sure nod, having wondered just where Anselm had gone away to. “I'm his cousin, Corona. Is Anselm well?” All in all, his departure hadn't bothered her one way or another, though she would have liked to have gotten to know him better.
[/html]
[html]
--

A wave of relief washed over the girl as Corona introduced herself and revealed that she was a relative of sorts. Ah, good; 's nice to meet yeh. Maserati's hunched over posture relaxed considerably, although her tail remained tucked in, her ears back, and her head generally lowered. Charger was appreciative of his new-found freedom and contemplated a quick escape, but a glare from the red-eyed wolf kept him in place. He sat back on his hind legs, quite visibly pouting, but Maz ignored him.
Well, yes 'n no. Physically he's fine, but Oi'd say mentally he's got his work cut out for 'im. Apparently when 'e discovered Ryan was his daughter, it threw him a bit off. He got to wonderin' how many more of us might be out there 'n he left to look. As of late he found me 'n my brother, but I think he's still lookin' for more and not quite come to terms with it. She sighed a little, shaking her head. At any rate, he wanted me to come here to let Ryan know she's in his thoughts 'n he misses Gabriel quoite a bit, too, but he still needs time alone to sort 'imself out..
Here she paused, waiting to gauge Corona's reaction before maybe adding her own opinion on the matter. As far as she was concerned, Anselm would be better off coming back here and making up for lost time with one of his children that had accepted him, rather than drawing things out longer on some 'worthless' gallivant. Anselm's appearance had uprooted her greatly and her brother hadn't responded well to his sudden appearance at all. Odds were, any of his kids that did exist already had some sort of life set up for themselves--he wasn't needed, and in some cases he might not even be wanted. She wasn't completely convinced he was even conscious of this fact; he had his own goal in mind (whatever that may be) and he wouldn't be content until it was fulfilled, regardless of the toll it took on others.
[/html]
[html]
“Well we certainly wondered what made him take off in such a hurry here.” But then again, as frequently as those in Inferni came and went, Corona felt like she shouldn't have been surprised. In his shoes, maybe she would have done the same. “We weren't very well acquainted, but I'm sure his daughter and my brother will be happy to get the news.” And if they weren't, then they weren't. In fact, Corona didn't see much of Ryan as it were, but something had been up with her. She had been distracted by too many other things—trying to cope with other things, really—than to really care. Apathy had come and so had carelessness as well.

But that aside, Maserati's thoughts were not far off from Corona's either, who also thought Anselm probably would have been better off letting be what was already there and coming back to what he already knew. He had been an asset to them from what she had gathered, and certainly someone who knew the lay of the land well. He was a closer tie to her late grandfather and father than any one else feasible had been, even if they were distant. “Do you intend to hang around the countryside for a while?” She didn't know about housing, but at the very least she thought she could make sure this distant relative was better off than some nosy and belligerent wolf.
[/html]
[html]
-Takes a quick break from writing her stupid fucking lab report.- I'm guessing we can wrap this up in a few more posts? :o

Maz nodded slowly as Corona spoke. She could still recall the little glint in his eye when he spoke of Gabriel--it was clear to her that the Inferni leader meant quite a bit to Anselm. She honestly had no idea why and she didn't particularly care; her best guess was that Gabe was the closest to family Anselm had ever voluntarily accepted, and probably one of the few individuals he'd ever accepted fully. The golden wolf seemed to feel as strongly about the doggish hybrid as she felt about her own brother. He seemed to care about Ryan a lot, too, but here his gaze always became clouded by something negative. He seemed more pained. Maserati was quite sure this negativity had nothing to do with Ryan herself, but rather his own disappointment in his behaviour and a tinge of regret. It was like he knew what he was doing was messed up but he just couldn't help himself.
Aye, eh... dunno to be honest, she admitted. Oi think it'd still be nice to talk to Gabriel 'n Ryan myself, so Oi might hang around for a bit until I catch either of 'em comin' or leavin'. Perhaps if yeh see either yeh can let them know Oi'm looking for them? After that my plan was to check out the city in the south. Savina had spoken of several things that might interest her down there and had already offered her a place to stay if she needed it. Even if her relatives by blood were around here, she had to admit she felt uneasy lurking about when the signs clearly said they discouraged visitors. At least now one of the leaders knew about why she might be in the area and could pass on the message to anybody else, but it still seemed like a gamble and Maz wasn't one to take her chances.
[/html]
[html]
“Sure thing.” Letting them know they were being looked for was certainly something she could and would definitely do. Family was family and worth talking to. “And the city is a good place to stay, I was going to suggest it if you didn't have any other places to go already. There should be plenty of things there to accommodate you,” she went on to say, thought wishing she knew more about it herself to give exact locations or details. But she really didn't have many reasons to go away from Inferni as it were. “Is there anything else I should pass along to them, or would you rather save that for when you meet them in person?”
[/html]
[html]
-Beats away all the work she has to do yet- ;;

The more hype that went around about the city, the more eager she was to get there and check it out for herself. Ever since she was young she'd shown natural talent working with neglected human tools; within weeks after her first shift she was using hand tools to build storage crates for Ross and Gale. Before long they'd had her working on bigger and better things and she loved every minute of it, even if it made her hands rough and calloused. Although Maserati had quite a feminine build and her hands were proportionately sized, they were easily the most 'masculine' part of her body.
Either way, this little meeting had gone off without a hitch and she didn't want to overstay her welcome. Corona seemed rather nice and incredibly helpful, but the wolf couldn't quite shake the image of the piked skulls from her head and she could feel a fire lighting up beneath her feet that could only be quelled by movement. She nodded as the golden lady spoke, tail wagging slightly behind her, then shook her head at the blue eyed girl's question. Nah; Oi'll wait. It would be more personal and direct--anyone who'd played 'whisper down the alley' knew how skewed certain messages could become as they were passed along. In this case, the words might be easy enough, but she wanted to capture the emotion behind those words, too, and she wanted to see reactions up front.
Oi'm grateful for your help, Corona, she said, her words genuine and quite serious. In a small way, she was in her debt now. Maz didn't unrealistically think she owed some massive life-altering favour, but perhaps she would return some day with a small token of gratitude in the form of a small meal or snack. And maybe they could get to know each other better then if they weren't so damned near claimed territory. Oi'd think it best to fall back now, at any rate. Thanks again and it was nice to meet yeh! With that, she ushered Charger to the side as she extended one foreleg to take a deep bow. As she rose, she kept her posture low as she turned about and moved quickly into the distance.
[/html]