Winter Has It's Hold On Me
[html]

For Shell

The cotton colored canine rarely visited the mountain. For her Halcyon Mountain was like a border one did not pass and it was pointless to approach it. Only twice had she crossed it, once coming here originally, fleeing the fire with everyone else, and again on an excursion with Mew to their grandmother’s grave—forgotten in the old territories. The Dahlia de Mai Rosea had come to the mountain on other occasions, meeting Pilot of Shadowed Sun among other uneventful trips, but she had never thought about passing it. The one time she had broken through the border, Mew had coaxed her into leaving the new world and visiting the old one. Walking in the ashy lands was like walking among the dead, and no doubt that indeed many souls had been lost in the fire. It was not an experience Cer wished to repeat, but even still she found herself stare up the mountain slope, wondering what, if anything, had changed on the other side.

The glaring sun bounced off the snow of the mountain, intensifying the whiteness of the slope and making it hard to stare for too long. Turning away, Cercelee slumped into a heap at the base of a lonely tree, unwilling to bring herself to scale the slope. Would life be returning in the spring, born again from the ashes? Or had they brought all the life here? Surely, Cercelee decided, change happen more when beings were about to bring on that change. Dahlia had changed drastically within the last moon cycle and it seemed more changes were on the horizon. It was exhausting just think about it and Cercelee soon found herself the victim of slumber, vulnerable to whatever creature might cross her path.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/c ... bottom.jpg); background-repeat: no-repeat; width: 400px; height: 200px;" align=right>

[/html]
Among all the ashes the black female had walked along her pink paw pads became red and inflamed from her travel. Her mismatched eyes half closed from the starvation she was suffering at that point, she wanted so badly to stop walking but the fear of death loomed in her head. The thought of her return was some what depressing, what would her family do or even say to see her now after so long? The female looked up at the sky and sat for a rest, her paw pads felt like they had been set a blaze by fire. She stood up suppressing the pain she felt as she walked on leaving her paw prints in the ashes, 'I wander if anyone survived what happened here....' "Sigh." With her head held high she pressed on in her search for not only her pack, but for food and water. Her hunger was driving her more then the hopes of finding her pack to show them what she had become over her time spent in solitude.

Her lengthy body was due to the lack of food over her days of travel, the pink paw pads now without a doubt had turned red not only from inflation but from her own blood. The ashes that went on for miles slowly began to turn into white snow, once the female saw the snow she slowly began to run. The black fur of the female swayed as she ran, the fur around her muzzle and nose was not completely black, it was dusted with white. The snow now padded her sore and bloody paw pads as she reached it, feeling dizzy she sat in the snow and looked around herself. The snow was every where making everything look beautiful, her muzzle opened in awe of her surroundings. The whiteness of another wolf was seen by her when she walked further into the snow leaving bloodied paw prints behind, slowly she made her way over to the white wolf stopping only two feet away. The she wolf sniffed around herself to make sure the other wolf was alone, for once she had made a wise decision. She did not need to be in a fight with anyone in her current shape, she knew she would lose in a heart beat.
[html]

OOC

The smell of blood hit Cer’s nose and she woke with a start, finding herself face to face with the emaciated face of another. Navy eyes widened and in a second the female was on her feet, quickly looking about to found the source of the smell of blood, only to discover the red liquid was seeping from the female’s paws. “Goodness, you’ve scared me.” Her voice was rushed, getting over the shock of waking to find someone so close. Had they any ill intentions Cercelee would surely be a victim by now, but as it was it seemed the female before her was in far poorer shape than the white lady. Sighing, she looked over the girl again. Cercelee couldn’t help but pity the girl.

“You don’t look so wonderful, if you don’t mind me saying.” The raven wolf needed a good meal and a long rest, neither of which Cercelee could rightly offer at the moment, but she had already put her mind to it to do what should could to help the female out. If her help was not shunned. “What’s your name, then? I’m Cer.” After all, strangers weren’t expected to care for one another, but once they’ve exchanged names they wouldn’t be strangers any longer. Settling down, Cer nodded her head to indicate the female should sit, or lay, and take the weight off her worn paws.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/c ... bottom.jpg); background-repeat: no-repeat; width: 400px; height: 200px;" align=right>

[/html]
The raven girl looked at the female before her, taking the invitation she sat taking the weight from her paws. Her mismatched eyes seemed as though they were peering straight into the female's soul, she turned her gaze to her aching paws. "I am Shell...." the raven female replied lowering her head so she did not pose as a threat, pain and sadness had a tight hold on the female. The sun hit the snow making it glisten, the female being easily distracted at the moment looked in the direction of where the sun touched the snow. A loud growl came from the stomach of the famished raven coated female, "Sigh... So hungry...." Announced the female as her eyes slightly closed, "So, Cer, what brings you out here beside the beautiful scenery?" The female was making the best of her company for when she felt strong enough she would be on her mary way, 'I can't believe my pack is gone...'

What was once a crystal clear vision blurred, her head began to spin in circles. "I don't feel so well...." announced the young female as her head met with her paws in an attempt to stop her dizzy feeling that made her stomach ill. Warm tears found their way to the female's eyes, she used the top part of her paw to wipe away the tears from her eyes. Shell sat up slowly as her head continued to spin in circles, her eyes closed tightly as her stomach growled once more. "Oh, my head is spinning and it won't stop!" exclaimed the female as her eyes opened, she looked at the white woman. "I never ask for help but I'm..." she trailed off leaving her sentence unfinished. Her mismatched eyes closed as the lack of food and rest took it's toll on the female causing her to pass out.
[html]

OOC

Concerned navy eyes watched the female sit, her mind and body seemed to sway as she spoke. Shell. The female did not smell of any of the lands they came from, and she doubted that one in her condition would last long around these parts anyhow. Out loud the female voiced what was obvious, her wish for nourishment and Cercelee sighed slowly, not having anything to offer the female on hand. “Errmm I was just out today… luck for you.” It was odd that Shell would question Cer’s whereabouts when she was in such a dire state, but Cercelee smiled encouragingly at the female, hoping to keep her up and talking.

I don’t feels so well… Cer’s ears perked and she debated shifting now, in case the girl would pass out, which it seemed she was on the brink. She was too late. I never ask for help but… She was out, on the cold ground and Cer moved to her side, wishing she knew had learned more healing skills than she had. Poking her sharp, cold nose into the shoulder of the unconscious girl, Cer knew well enough not to leave the girl on the ground in such a state. The longer she let her stay unconscious, the harder it would be to wake her. Maybe even impossible. “Shell! Shell! Wake up!” She nudged her again, harder this time, attempting something like a loud bark in her ear.

[/html]
Shell slowly opened her eyes from Cercelee's loud barks and the nudging. Her vision still blurred but not as bad as it had been before she slipped form conciseness. Slowly the she wolf shook her head and attempted to stand, using the little strength she had left within her body. Once on her aching and bloodied paws she began to walk, with each step her body swayed. Once again the female's head spun in circles, she sat in the snow to stop the spinning in her head. "Luck for me...?" questioned the female as she looked back at the white female. The female's voice turned hard and cold as she spoak, "I no longer believe in luck, believing in such things are for children."

The female's ears twitched as a hare jumped from a hole in the snowy ground, the female's eyes locked onto the hare. Her body wanted to give chase but she knew with the condition she was in that she would not be able to catch it. The ill feeling came back to her as she watched the hare, her tail slowly brushed the snow as she stayed seated. The hare soon vanished in the hole it came from, her stomach growled in protest to the female as she watched the hare. Shell's mismatched eyes closed slowly as she sat in the snow her back to the white woman, her body seemed to be withering away with each passing minute. 'I just want to go home, back to my pack. But everything has changed... I'm the last of my family....' Shell said to herself, it was the cold hard truth. "I guess I cam here because I didn't know where to go... I just walked from seeing what happened to my family and pack." the female said after some time of silents.
[html]

OOC

The female awoke with little protest and tried feebly to stand, and surprisingly enough succeeded. Cercelee watched wearily as she attempted to walk forward, her words pessimistic, casting away luck. Moving in front of her to halt her forward progression, Cercelee ignored the rabbit that was tantalizing out of reach for Shell. Blocking her way with her body, Cercelee eyed the female in an authoritative way. There wasn’t any way the white lady was going to let the female continue and weaken her body so. “Stop, don’t move. You need to lay down and rest, but don’t go to sleep. I’m going to go get you some food, but you have to promise not to try and go any further.”

Cercelee eyed her carefully, waiting to make she the raven wolf complied before she left. Perhaps the female didn’t want to comply, she seemed to beaten down already, perhaps she was already apathetic to if she lived or died. Cercelee would have to make it worth her while to comply with the Dahlian Rosea’s commands. “We can talk about your family and where you come from when I get back if you like, but you need to eat first. We’ll figure out what to do with you once you’ve gotten a meal and a nice rest.” Cercelee turned, ready to hunt down something, anything, for the female to eat. She turned back to make sure Shell had settled herself down on the ground, rather than trying to move forward.

[/html]
The girl lied in the snow as the white female talked of help, her ears folded back on her head as the female left. After a few minutes Shell thought about what the female had said, she picked through the words carefully. Finding truth in what Cer had said she stayed still, she kept herself awake with all she had. The harsh memories of her family ran through her head as if she was just a pup again, everything came back to her so quickly. With no one around she cried for the first time in a long time, she had not shed tears like this since she had been chased out by the pack. The more Shell thought about her family and pack the angrier she became before long, her tears stopped completely. She couldn't recall why she had been chased from the pack, but she did remember one thing, all but one of her siblings hated her.

Time past by slowly as she continued to wait for the white woman to return with nourishment, she tried to keep her mind off of her family and pack. The mental images lingered in her mind made it difficult to forget, she closed her eyes tightly trying so hard to make them go away. The harder she tried the harder it became to stop thinking about the whole scene of her family, the blood made her sick to her stomach. Shell's stomach turned and knotted up from the gruesome scene, she felt the stomach accede move up into the throat. She forced the accede back down as she lied her head on her paws, her eyes slightly closing. The white female had not returned yet, her stomach still knotted she closed her eyes the rest of the way. Without realizing it she had slipped from contentiousness and into the darkness that scared her, but she was out cold slipping further into the darkness over time.
[html]

OOC

Shell complied, laying her weakened body in the snow. Cercelee gave her one more forlorn look and set off, nose in the air and then to the ground as she caught the scent quickly of a stray hare. The rabbit was not in sight, but the tracks were fresh enough and paws pounding on the frozen earth quickly took the white lady out of Shell’s sight. Lithe body moved effortlessly through the snow, her arctic genes had crafted her body for this type of weather, as much as Cer detested the dead season. The scent grew thicker and navy eyes swept the area for the hare, but there was nothing until the tracks suddenly came to an end. The rabbit was in front of her suddenly, it’s white winter coat blending in flawlessly to the powdery snow. Instinctively Cer’s jaws snapped down on the creature, it’s neck snapping instantly for a quick and near painless death.

The hunting excursion had only taken twenty short minutes from start to finish but when Cercelee returned to the female she was once again out cold. Fangs sunk in deeper to the flesh of the rabbit, widening the wounds on the prey’s body and releasing the sweet and sticky red liquid, the metallic smell sharp. Laying the creature next to Shell’s nose, hoping the scent of fresh blood might help to revive her, Cer took up the task of nudging and prodding the female once more. The rabbit bled a pool of liquid in front of the raven female’s face and Cercelee dug her cold nose into the shoulder of the other. If she didn’t find a healer soon, the female might not last many more days. “Shell get up! Come on! Now! Shell?!”

[/html]
The she wolf lied lifelessly in the snow as Cercelee nugged her to get up, the effort spent was waisted. The blood from the hare spread under Shell's chin as her body showed no will of moving, but her mind was fighting to get her body moving. 'For the love of all that's good get up! You have to get up and keep living come on move!' Shell barly moved her head closer to the food that had been laied infront of her by the white female. Her jaws barly opened once her toung touched the sweet nector she opened her eyes slightly and looked up at the white female. "Why... why do this for someone you don't even know anything about?" the female asked as she tried to contane her feelings. Slowly she placed her paws in the snow and puched herself up her body swaying badly, her eyes locked onto the coten colored female.

"I don't understand why you would do this for someone like me! You have me all wrong, I don't need your pitty or cherity!" The female tried her best to convince the female of this even though she was well awear of her condition. "What do you want me to tell you?! That I'm weak and I need help, pitty and cherity?! Well forget it, because I don't!" Shell looked at the hare then back at the female, "This is your kill, you eat it, I'll find my own." With all that said, the female walked further in the snow but soon colapsed from her hunger. 'Dang it to weak to go any further! No, what am I thinking... I HAVE to keep going! Get up... move!' Once again she puched herself up but at a sitting position in the snow, her breath was short and ragged.
[html]

OOC

The female was visibly upset, but at least she was awake. Sighing as the female struggled away from her with the angry words, Cer merely dutifully picked up the rabbit and followed after her, dropping it next to the female once more when she collapsed. Navy eyes caught the odd eyes of Shell, and Cer shook her head at the female. “Obviously you need both, you are in no shape to keep trying to move. Eat and rest.” Her voice bordered on booming into a command, a voice Svara and Firefly were getting use to hearing about the Dahlian lands. She would not continue to help the female if she really wished for no help, but Cer perhaps could talk some sense into her.

“Don’t be foolish Shell, you don’t even have strength to walk any longer… I am not helping you because I pity you; I am helping you because you need it.” Cercelee let herself settle in slowly near to the girl, eyes moving back to the dead rabbit. Waiting for Shell to eat it. “Just eat and I will be on my merry way, if that’s what you want. But I could find you a healer and somewhere safe to rest, get back your strength. I’m not one to let strangers die before my eyes, but if you refuse assistance… I won’t force you to live.” It seemed that was the point the female was at, accept help or die on her own.

[/html]
The female glared at the white woman, "Don't command me to do anything, I've made it on my own for a long time, I don't need anyone! All I need is myself, that's all I can count on in harsh times. I never had family that loved me they just ran me out of the pack when I was only four months old. So why would I need anyone now?!" Shell's voice was harsh but her eyes filled with tears even talking about her family and pack, "Besides they're all dead now, so why does it matter if I live or die? Who would care or even remember me?" She pushed closed her teary eyes, ran her paw over her left eye then over the scar remembering how she got it. "Out of everyone in my pack, only one of them liked me enough to try and protect me from everyone else. She wasn't my real sister, but she took me in like she was.... She helped me through everything I always had her to run to, my father wouldn't even stand up to her and I don't know why." Looking at the hare then the female she seemed calm, "Sorry for snapping, I'm just not use to having anyone helping me at all." Sinking her fangs into a random place on the hare she tore the flesh and devoured it, soon she ate the hare leaving nothing but the bones. "Thank you for the meal, I will repay you some how."

Shell looked at Cer with her head low and eyes pleading for her forgiveness, "I really am sorry." Her tail tucked under her body as she waited for the female to do what she wanted to her for mouthing off. 'Man, I cant believe myself. I've changed to much to be around anyone.' Standing then female ran with all her might, aching paw pounding on the wet, cold snow causing her to slip and slide a bit as she ran. 'Can't stop running have to run till I can't move another inch! At least I thanked her, but I can't stay here.... I'll only be a pain and a bother, and I don't wanna be any of those things!' Slipping on a packed down snow bank the female slipped causing her to land hard on her right paw, she sharply yelped as she fell. "Ow! Damn it, now I've done it this time!" she growled at herself for being such an idiot, knowing well that now she had no choice in staying.
[html]

OOC

Cer silently, but attentively, listened as the female’s speech burst with rage at Cer’s kind act and then fell into a drawn out story of her past. The most she spoke the calmer the female became, and Cercelee just sat, listening to the female, waiting for her to finish. It was clear that the female wanted someone to listen, why else would she share so much with a stranger? Unprovoked? Cer had not asked for a history, she never did. Where others came from or what they did was their business and Cer did not like to busy herself with other’s lives. Unless they were of Dahlian origin. Dahlia de Mai took up too much of her energy for her to spend it else where and she wouldn’t have it any other way.

“Oh.. I see, why don’t you-.” The female, without any formal goodbye was suddenly off and Cer did not care to go after her. Sighing and rolling her eyes at the strange way of the wolf, she just watched the other’s body get further away. And then it went down. Why the female attempted such an escape in her state boggled the Rosea, but she slowly made her way back to the raven female. “You are being foolish. You need a lot more rest than that if you think you’re running anywhere. Weeks of rest I would guess.” The memory of her staying in Twilight Vale surfaced. Here was a chance to pay it forward, she doubted the female would accept. Shell had been temperamental about accepting any of Cer’s previous help. “If you’d like, you can rest in Dahlia de Mai, my pack. If not, I can try to find a healer for you. Or I can leave now. You choose.”

[/html]
The raven female looked at the cotten colored wolf in scilance, she knew she had been in the wrong. "I'm sorry, I'm just not use to any kindness, I'm use to being chased off or always running and fighting. I guess along the way I lost who I truly am inside.." Shell closed her eyes and slowly sat up keeping the weight off her injured paw, she had no choice but to stay with Cer and her pack. "I'll stay with you and your pack for now, if you see fit I shall join if not then I will be on my way." This is not the way she had intened to be but the way she had turned out and she did not like it one bit, slowly she licked her right paw pad that had began to bleed once again. "I truly am sorry Cer, I need time to get use to everything again."

As the time passed slowly she stayed scilance, then she looked at Cer waiting for her to say something. Shell rolled in the white fluffy snow and bit at it for some form of intertanement, she sneezed a few times from snow going into her nostrals. "Ah! So cold!" She shook her head after sneezing and looked at Cer once again hoping to play. She yipped and barked then pawed at her, she had hopes that Cer would also join her in playing. "Cer c'mon, lets play!" For once she was willing to play and be nice trying to act like her old self. After awhile she just sat and stared at Cer her ears lowered.