Sorrounded by a sea of uncertainty, will I drown?
Word Count: 581

Yawning, Barix stretched as he felt the sun's warm touch creep across his body. "Morning already?" he groaned, turning over and hiding his face from the rising sun with a paw. After a few moments, it registered in his drowsy mind that he was in an unfamiliar area. Confused, he rolled to his feet and scanned the vicinity, noting a few scattered dens nearby and some early risers, wolves, exiting from a few of them. "Oh, yeah. I live here now." He sat back down with his back against the large oak tree he'd been sleeping under, allowing the strange, tangled mixture of feelings wash back over him: joy of joining this pack, sorrow at being forced to leave his old pack, nervousness at being around all these strangers, maybe even a little bit of fear. ”Well, while I’m up, I might as well do something,” the wolf-dog sighed, standing up and trotting down a path he discovered that led through the forest.

As he had only arrived yesterday, Barix was torn between continuing his exploration of his new home-which he enjoyed -and digging a den for the future rains that would inevitably come- which he knew needed to be done but in no way would enjoy. Perhaps he find and volunteer for some kind of duty, after all, he needed to start earning his keep. He slowed a little to a brisk walk as he noticed the fresh footprints of an adult snowshow hare, whose wide paws were unmistakable, especially to his trained eye, leading off the trail to his left. Feeling suddenly very hunger, he decided that this would be a great time to sharpen his hunting skills. Maybe soon he would have the opportunity to join a pack hunt. He hoped so.

As he crept forward and the sweet smell of fresh hare reached his nose, he couldn’t resist the urge to twitch his tail to and fro. Barix had always enjoyed the thrill of the hunt. Peering out of a bush, he spotted the white and brown rodent, obviously in the process of changing from his winter to his summer colors, nibbling on a twig several feet in front of him. Ha, it hadn’t noticed him yet. Inching forward more and more, the wolf-dog crouched down on his back legs under him, readying himself for the moment he would strike. Launching himself like a coiled spring, Barix launched himself at the hare but his bloodthirsty jaws closed around emptiness. A blur of white blazed through the bushes to his right, and he chased it, growling in frustration and unwilling to give up yet.

In a flash, the blur of white disappeared through a small, hollow log, and Barix tried to stop, but he hit a patch of mud left over from the last rainstorm and fell sprawling, head-first toward the log’s opening. Muttering a string of curses as he struggled to free his head, he watched helplessly as his prey escaped through the other side and disappeared. By wiggling he was able to pop his head back out, but he was extremely frustrated at his humiliating failure, glaring in the direction the hare had taken.

As he rubbed one of his bruised shoulders with his paw, he mumbled a phrase that he remembered his uncle using from time to time, “Sometimes you get the prey, sometimes the prey gets you….” It didn’t help. He glanced around to see if anyone was around to watch his embarrassing mishap.
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... banner.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
Hello! =D

She had been a part of AniWaya for a couple of months now, and was growing used to her day to day schedule. She got up, hunted, did a few other things, went out of the territory, and then came back home to her den and went to sleep. Sometime she watched Tayui's pups, sometimes she stayed by herself. Occasionally one of the whelps would come by her den and visit her, but now that they were bigger they had other, better things to do probably.

The warrior picked the sheath that she'd found in the castle up from the ground, running her fingers over it. She had yet to find the sword that went inside of this sheath...but she was yearning to. She had the feeling that when she did find it, something good would happen. The sheath had been sitting on the floor in one of the back rooms of the stone structure when she had gone there to look for a weapon, but the sword had been nowhere in sight. Perhaps someone had hidden it.

The dark female put the sheath down, stepping outside of her den. There was quite a bit of movement this morning--off in the distance she could see others coming out of their sleeping places. She wasn't one to go up and speak to a stranger without a just cause, tending to keep to herself more often than not, and she watched as they moved around and went off on their own.

She was considering turning back to her den to go back to sleep when she heard it, a loud crashing sound and a voice. She hadn't heard words like those in a while, not here, around the ears of pups. Curses. The shifted female looked back behind her den, into the woods, observing the sight before her with a slight chuckle. She could almost guess what had happened. "Can't catch every one, right?" She called as she approached, emerald eyes creasing as her face turned up into a grin.
[/html]
[html]
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... bottom.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Hey XD. Sorry for the wait. You like my shiny new table? W.C. 413

Still fuming, Barix heard someone approaching and looked up just as she began to speak. < Oh, great!> he almost groaned. Not only did he have an audience, but it just happened to be a femme! What made things even worse was the fact that he had practically zero experience talking with a girl, but he at least figured that he wasn't starting things off very well by slipping in the mud and getting his head momentarily stuck in a log. Blushing a deep red with embarrassment and smiling nervously, he managed to give a slight nod, mumbling, "Yeah, guess that's true.... No one's perfect...." But did he have to look so foolish and clumsy as well!? He noted that she seemed perfectly comfortable in her two-legged form just like Dawali had, further confirming his suspicions that it was used a lot more in this pack. He, on the other hand, felt more natural and like himself in his wolf form. He momentarily admired her black fur and beautiful green eyes. As he looked at her, his kept drifting to different parts of her face and off to the side of her as if he couldn't decide what was proper in this situation. After a few seconds, he finally settled on staring at the ground in front of her feet, thinking that it would be the safest thing to do. He just wasn't sure of her rank, how to treat females in general, or how she expected to be treated.

Making a poor attempt to hide how uncomfortable he felt at that moment- of course, he was trying whatever he could to keep from offending her-, the wolf-dog smiled a bit more cheerfully, saying, "By the way, my name’s Barix…. Barix Raleto. I’m a new uh… Itse, was it? Dawali just let me join yesterday." He relaxed a bit at the memory of the red wolf’s kindness to him, but it also made him feel a little more wary of the femme. Dawali had greeted him with a friendliness that Barix had found so little of in his old pack. What made him think that this one would be any different? Only twenty percent of his blood was German shepherd but that didn’t seem to make a difference to most of them. He knew that his grandfather would’ve rejected him even if only one percent of his blood was dog.

He waited quietly for her response, his eyes still lowered to the ground.
[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... banner.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

The female very rarely left her two-legged form nowadays. She didn't really see any use in her four-legged lupus form, not when there were so many things that she could do when she was shifted like this. Ember enjoyed activities like reading, cooking, training with different sorts of weapons, and the occasional sewing...all things that she could only do well in her optime form. So it was what she stayed in above everything else. There was the halfling form, too, but doing things in that form was sometimes difficult for her.

Their meeting turned easily into a conversation, and the cloaked female went with it. "Ah, I see. Dawali's a good friend of mine--real pleasant wolf to be around. If you ever feel up for a fishing trip, both of us like to fish. Maybe the three of us could go out and catch a whole bunch of them." It sounded like a really good idea to her. And with the amount of puppies that they had, little mouths to feed, it would probably help out. "I'm Ember Phoenix. I'm an Ayastigi here...the beginning warrior rank. I've lived here for a couple of months...I joined the pack with my friend Tayui before she had all of her pups."

[/html]