thread title missing
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... banner.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
Brooklyn! 300+

The sun had gone down on the lands of Crimson Dreams and with it the rain had finally stopped. The copper youth had thought that spring was finally here, but the past few days had been cold and wet. He had spent most of the daylight inside working on his guitar playing, but he wanted to get out of the house now that the opportunity had arrived. It felt that parts of his world were just crashing around him. The knowledge and confirmation that his mothers were no longer together had been a hard blow. Somehow being cooped up in the house made the reality even more crushing.

The soft ground squished beneath his feet as he had his army jacket wrapped tightly around him. The cool breeze seemed to stab right through him like a knife. Still, the night air was more comforting than the warmth of the mansion right now. Up ahead a large object loomed in the distance. What was that? How was it possible that the boy hadn't come across this before? This was his home! He had thought he knew every little detail about the lands, but apparently he had missed something. It was a large metal structure, it reminded him of the large ship he had seen with Siobhan. This was different though. It wasn't a ship, it was something he had never seen or heard of before.

Some boxes were strewn about it and as he got closer the metal was ripped and twisted. Especially what appeared to be the front of the vessel was smashed into the ground. Like some giant invisible child had severely abused his toy. Carefully Haven ran a finger over a particularly large gash in the side nearest him. It was jagged and rough and he knew not to press his pads too hard against it or he would easily cut himself. He would need to visit the library in the mansion later to see if he could figure out what this thing had been.

[/html]
[html]
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... rkerbg.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom;">
OOC: 400+

Rain, rain and more rain. No matter how hard she had tried, Brooklyn just couldn't get it out of her head. The monotonous drone of the water over the roof and windows made her stay up late, staring at the ceiling, hoping to find some answer in the patterns floating above her head. She wasn't entirely sure what to do with herself. The shifting was going better and she had managed to find a book in the mansion library. It was something to do with clothes, but she couldn't tell so much. Reading had never really been her strong point and as easy as it would have been to ask Mati, the white female knew better. She and her sister could get along, if need be, but there could always be tension escalating between them. The book did contain pictures, so she had managed to clumsily modify her prince trousers so they fit her frame better. The velvet jacket she and Jazper had uncovered was a good fit, a remarkable thing.

With the sun slowly going down on the horizon and the rain a memory for the time being, Brooklyn shifted into her two-legged form. She wasn't sure why, but the longer she did it the less time it seemed to take. The pain was still there, but not as bad as it had been in the beginning. Shrugging on her velvet coat, she did the buckles up before straightening enough to examine herself. While lacking a mirror, it was still better than nothing. With quick and sure steps, the white girl was out the door and running down the stairs to greet the wet air outside. Where to?

Brooklyn looked longingly towards the edges of the pack. She could always go that way. But who knew what was out there? Would anyone notice her absence? With Savina's birth approaching and their numbers expanding, perhaps she could escape unseen. That, though, would be risky. Sighing, the female-come-prince started a lazy walk around the lands. It had been a long time since she'd properly spoken to anyone in her pack. Rounding a corner, she was surprised to catch a glimpse of Haven. Shifted. In clothes! With a smile on her face, Brooklyn ran towards her brother. As she made to hug him in a surprise moment, she noticed there was something different about him. Oh! A... a something in his ear. The female pushed back the fringe from out of her eyes and pointed out bluntly, What did you to yourself, Haven!

[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... banner.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
That's an awesome coat! :o 300+

He thought he might have heard the footsteps of someone approaching, but he didn't pay them any attention. He was too busy examining this thing and if they wanted to talk to him they were welcome to come over. Eyes ran over the surface. In his mind he pieced together what it might have originally looked like, without all the rips and crushes. The thing sticking out of the side kind of made him think of a bird's wings, but birds had mobile wings. He knew enough about metal to know it didn't move. If they indeed were supposed to be wings, how the heck could this thing fly if they didn't move?

His thoughts were interrupted by a loud exclamation. He turned to see his sister, but his ears flicked back in annoyance. What was it with girls and thinking it was such a big deal? "God Brook, it's not a big deal! You obviously inherited that from Anu," he said with some distaste. It was just an earring. From the way they acted you'd have thought he had a giant hole in his head. Some of his initial foul mood ebbed away as it struck him that she was shifted as well. A small smirk donned his handsome face. "That's a pretty cool coat sis." She definitely looked more proper than he did in his army jacket and tattered jean shorts.

"You been over here before? I somehow missed this thing all these months." He ran a hand through his shoulder-length mane, looking around at the boxes that were scattered around them. Haven couldn't hold back his curiousity any long and moved to the nearest one, crouching down. Claws worked themselves under the lid and pried the wooden container open. Carefully packed inside were a bunch of bottles. The boy picked one up and uncorked it. The unmistakable scent of what he had drank that night with his uncle hit his nose. This stuff was different though, it was clear like water. With a glint in his jade eyes he looked back at his light sibling. "Ever had this stuff before? It packs quite a punch." He took a long swig and and coughed as the burning liquid ran down his throat. Arm extended to offer his sister the bottle.

[/html]
[html]
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... rkerbg.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom;">
OOC: See AG. See AG fail. Fail, AG, fail! 300+

Brooklyn pulled a face at her brother, sticking her tongue out. Haven was joking, she knew that, but she did have to admit that his piercing impressed her. There seemed to be this strange undercurrent of competition between the two, or so she perceived it. The white female wasn't sure if Mati or Salem had started shifting yet, so perhaps they were the first to do so. However, her brother had taken the game to a whole new level, something which she had to admire him for. I don't sound anything like Anu! she protested, although in her head she knew exactly that that was the tone her mother used to express displeasure. Brooklyn didn't want to be a grown up yet, not quite. She liked shifting and this whole prince business, but it carried so much responsibility. She just wasn't ready for all that. What she was ready for was receiving compliments from Haven. Thanks. You look pretty good yourself, you know, the trousers go with the coat.

The female pushed the fringe from her eyes again and looked at the great metal thing. Yeah, she'd been here before. It dawned on her that Haven the Explorer knew nothing about it. But... he'd always been the first to go off on his own, always the first to explore. Heck, he'd visited those faraway packs while Brooklyn had stayed behind, going out only with Naniko or Anu and exploring the safety of Crimson Dreams. It genuinely surprised her. She had never expected that there would be a time when Haven would lack knowledge of his own home. You don't know what it is? It's one of those human things. A metal bird that flies without flapping the wings. Um... aeroplane? I think they call it that.

But her brother seemed to be interested in some boxes that had never caught her attention. He took out bottles with some kind of drink in them and passed one to Brooklyn. The girl opened it and sniffed it before extending it at arm's length, as if it would bite. What is this stuff, Haven? She gave it one weary look before taking a gulp. It burned down her throat and into her stomach, making her gag and spit. You trying to make me sick? This isn't funny, you know! It was vile, princes never had to drink this kind of garbage.

[/html]
[html]
*still luffs you anyway* :3 I fail at making my posts shorter XD 300+

He smirked as his sister protested against his statement. "Yeah ya do. She sounded just like that when she saw it the first time." Though he could tell that Brooklyn wasn't disappointment in the same way their mother had been. He still didn't get why it had upset her. It was just a small metal ring in his ear. Didn't have anything to do with anybody else. While subconsciously he might have been aware at this little sibling rivalry he didn't think about it. Haven just did the things he wanted to do. "Heh, thanks. I'm glad I don't look stupid." He had liked the combination, but he knew that girls had a better eye for that sort of thing.

Huh, so this thing did fly? Well, at least once anyway. Eyes scanned over it quizzically once again. The youth shook his head. It still didn't make any sense how something like that could actually fly, but he didn't doubt that Brooklyn was right. The humans had done plenty of amazing things. Making the big metal thing fly would probably have been easy for them. "That's pretty crazy. I can't imagine this thing actually being able to fly. The humans sure were smart." The Aatte hybrid had dreamed about being able to fly, but the idea of flying inside that thing wasn't at all appealing to him.

As he handed the first bottle to his sister he uncorked another for his own use. He took another long drink from the new bottle and felt that nice warmth flow through him. Jade eyes squinted at the bottle. "Vodka, apparently. It's called alcohol. Another thing the humans made." At her reaction to taking her first drink he laughed heartily. His had been much the same. "No, I'm not tryin' to make you sick! You know I wouldn't do anything to hurt you." He feigned a hurt look, though he really did hope she didn't think he was trying to mess with her.

Standing up he took another drink and wiped his lips as a dark cover was drawn over his gaze. "Anu and Nani broke up." Maybe she already knew. He didn't know why he felt the need to say it just then, but it was out now. Haven walked inside the plane and sat down on some of the crates still inside. He couldn't look his sister in the eye right now, but he hoped she would follow him in. The way the moon was filtering into the plane almost made it look inviting.

[/html]
[html]
OOC: Oh god extension oh god *frantic scribbling* 400+

Look stupid? Did anyone say that you were stupid-looking? I can go and beat them up if you want me to. There was another small smile in the corner of her lips, a promise that this was all a joke. She would, of course, still go and beat up anyone who made fun of her brother, but Brooklyn didn't feel like doing anything like that right now. She wanted to keep throwing furtive glances at her brother's earring, wanted to get closer and touch it, see what it felt like. As he distracted himself with the airoplane, she took a couple more steps. How cute. How very very cute. Here she was, furtively trying to sneak up on her brother, as if she were a thief.

His question startled her out of her reverie. Fly? Um, well, yes, it had been able to fly. Weren't those humans something, huh? If someone had the skills, they'd be able to make it fly again, I'm sure. But who would try? Who would be willing to do something like that? Her tone took on a wistful note. I'd love to try flying, though, you know? Just some scraps of iron between you and the earth. But it would be so awesome, huh, Haven? With one hand holding the bottle, Brooklyn stepped forward and touched the metal frame. It was frozen and she shivered once. What could she do, really? Nothing much. All she knew were bits and pieces, not nearly enough. Never enough.

Vodka, he called it. It tasted like crap, but Brooklyn took on another drink and let the alcohol burn into her stomach. It made her head dizzy. Would she be sick from it? Haven seemed fine so far, so maybe so would she, once her body stopped hurting all over. Neah, you wouldn't hurt me. But you'd sure prank me, Haven. Not bad, somewhat hurtful, but okay. Brooklyn drank again. This wasn't so bad. She wanted to be cool like her brother and if it took this crappy drink, well, she'd do it.

The bottle near slipped from her hand. Broken up? She'd have expected him to joke, to say he was just messing with her. But his eyes told her everything. The nagging doubts that had eaten at her now took flight. So it had happened. What was she meant to do with the knowledge? In their pack meeting, had they still been together? Had she been everything through rose-tinted glasses, oblivious to the truth? How do you know? Her voice sounded small, almost scared. That angered her beyond belief. Brooklyn kicked the metal frame and gripped the bottle harder. Well, fuck. I need a drink. Gulping down the rest of the bottle, oblivious to the burns in her throat and the liquid spilling out of her mouth, the white female looked at her brother. You got summore?

[/html]
[html]
Sorry if this sucks. My mind's not in the best place right now.

Anything his sister had said before he blurted out the bad news ran in one ear and out the other. He didn't retain any of it. That conversation had been light-hearted. Now his brain had shut down from that normal mode and was running on a different plane entirely. He felt a little bad. That probably hadn't been the best way to break that to his sibling. Then again, was there a good way to tell someone that? He didn't think so. Bad news was bad news, no matter how it was presented. "I asked Anu, she told me." The boy was at least glad that his mother hadn't tried to sugar-coat it. To make it seem like things were fine when they weren't. That would have been worse. Or would it have? He wasn't sure, so he just took another drink.

His ears folded back as Brooklyn kicked the plane. The loudness of the noise was only doubled by his alcohol dappled mind. "Gah, don't kick it, that hurts," he said lazily, rubbing his head. She was reacting much differently than he had. Even now he didn't have any anger in him. He was just hurt. Hurt and cold. Though the vodka was beginning to help numb even those feelings. "Yeah, commin' here." Haven didn't want to be outside in the open, damp air. As he had before he wrenched open another crate that he was sitting near and found more bottles. He drained the rest of his, giving a slight cough and then opened two more.

The kid handed it towards his sister. "Sorry Brook, maybe I shouldn't have told ya..."

[/html]
[html]
OOC: That's okay, I'm sorry to hear about your Dad *hug* 300+

The world was spinning and spinning, a kaleidoscope she couldn't see the end of. Brooklyn looked at Haven with a long, far-away gaze. All her albeit short life, her mothers had loved each other. They had always been together, a strong pair that taught her how to care for another soul, how to show compassion and understanding. Theirs had been, to her, a quiet kind of love, filled with mutual understanding. Not something flashy, thrown around, nothing shamefully hidden away. It was a love that she could see and a love that she could respect. And now, according to Anu and Haven, it was over. Brooklyn took another long look at the bottle. How much would it solve? Right now, a lot.Don't they love each other any more? I saw them at the meeting. You were there too! What could have happened to them, Haven? What?

She wanted to kick and tear the plane piece from piece. There was rage inside her, like a hungry animal, just waiting for the right time to escape, just waiting for her to lose control. But she wouldn't. She couldn't. Instead, she let the cold, numb feeling of apathy wash over her. If she begged them to stay together, would they? Or would they just laugh in her face and tell her to stop being such a child? No matter. She would just drink more. Sitting next to Haven, she took one bottle and gulped a mouthful before choking and spitting some of it out. Love fucking sucks. She'd never used such language around her brother, or anyone else for that matter. But the rage was there. If they love each other, they should just stay together, ya know? Not do this mess.

Brooklyn shook her head. How could ya have known? Mati? Salem? They know yet? She sighed. Ya'd better not go and fall in love now, ya hear? The vodka made saying that so much easier.

[/html]
[html]
Thanks hun *hugs* 300+

Maybe he was more in tune to his parents' feelings. Or maybe he was just more sensitive to unspoken tension. Either way it had been something he had noticed and hadn't been able to ignore. Part of him wished that he had ignored it. Just pretended that everything was the same and wouldn't ever change. That would have been living a lie though, and that wasn't healthy. There was really no way to get around it. Not something like this. Haven ran his hand through his hair, scratching his head in an attempt to remember everything about that conversation with their mother. "She said...that she still loves her, but in the way that she loves us. I guess like family, instead of a couple..." He didn't understand how something like that could just fade away. They had always seemed so happy and now it was gone like a puff of smoke. "I dunno Brook...I just don't know. Wish I did..." Maybe if he did he could fix it.

As his sister sat down next to him he comfortingly put his arm around her shoulders, taking another long swig of vodka as she did. Unlike her he didn't choke and cough though. He was barely feeling the burn now and that nice fuzzy feeling was settling into his head. The youth let out a contented sigh, letting the alcohol run throughout his body and take away the pain and the worry and the confusion. It was so much easier to handle this way. "I dunno 'bout that, but I guess it can." He wasn't going to let this embitter him to love. It couldn't all end that way. "I agree with ya sis. I don't get it either."

He shrugged his shoulders at her question. "I dunno, I jus' had a feelin' somethin' wasn't right. An' no, I dun think they know. Least that's what I'd guess." A dumb grin split his somber face as she told him not to go fall in love. "Heh, I dunno 'bout that." The only person in his family to know about his feelings towards his coyote friend was Anu. Considering what had happened after he had kissed her he didn't like talking about it, but the alcohol made that not seem so bad either.

[/html]