Criticism, please
Criticism of all sorts. And I would like to know, is this at all attention-catching? Ease of reading? Thanks!

Years ago, when I had first met the man standing behind me, I might have given anything to have him so close. Maybe even my life. And now it seemed as though the situation had presented itself belatedly. The gods of irony were probably pissing themselves laughing somewhere in the distance.

Years ago, I might have secretly delighted in the fact that rain fell in transparent strips, lending the air of romanticism. With the man I had once loved so near to me, the sky was black and swirling with the diamond stars distorted by rain. Once, I might have cried, but my tears for this man had turned to dust already. I might have laughed if I had felt more like myself. I might have lashed out at him if I could find some thought to cleave to, to draw me out of the void that started in my head, engulfed my heart, and catapulted into the cold pit of my stomach. Instead all I could do was stare out into the city below and wonder why I was surprised that he’d turn on me again. After all these years and all the countless times he’d deceived me, I should have learned my lesson by now. Too little, too late it seemed.

I swung my feet slowly, crossing my heels, and suddenly I remembered the Sundays I’d spent at St. Raymond’s Episcopal Church in my youth. It probably would have served me better to pay attention to Father’s sermons and words of wisdom, but I had always been enamored of the play of shadows across the back of the pew in front of my family, and the way my shadow would meld with my mother’s whenever I kicked my legs. I had always wanted so deeply to be part of someone else, but now I knew…perhaps if I had paid any attention to those sermons, I wouldn’t have ended up in this situation.

I knew without looking that the rain had plastered my white dress shirt to me, leaving it transparent, a thin veil over my skin. And I knew that he took the sight of all that skin in with those hard green eyes. And I knew that for a moment they might soften if he allowed his mind to wander over what the sight might have meant years ago. But he was not emotive by nature. Calm, collected, disciplined – if I had been more like him, I wouldn’t be here now. I stared out across the distorted city skyline.

If I had been more like him, none of us would be here.

I held that knowledge close to me, but there was no sense of victory or vindication. Instead I felt that mocking hollowness inside of me. He was close enough now that I could hear him breathing behind me, and I regretted that sound. I regretted the expansion of my own lungs as I drew in my own breath between my chattering teeth. The utter stillness of his body behind me was evidence enough of my failure, despite my best and greatest efforts.

“Mordichai,” I whispered. I heard his arm brushing against the fabric of his coat with a coarse, wet sound.

The muzzle of the gun against the back of my head was cold and hard. I said his name again, but his fingers did not tremble although I felt the deadness in my heart expanding to envelop me.

“Does it keep you awake at night?” I asked, pressing the back of my head against the gun. His resolve didn’t change, his hold didn’t waver on the gun. “Does it play in the back of your mind at every moment?” I turned my head, twisting my neck to look at him and felt the muzzle of the gun against my temple. The lights flickered in the city skyline, and his green eyes flashed in the dark.

“Does it, Mordichai?”

My demon lover. Fifteen years ago I had given him everything…

And it still hadn’t been enough.
“I swung my feet slowly, crossing my heels, and suddenly I remembered the Sundays that I’d spent at St. Raymond’s Episcopal Church in my youth.”
It’s common to leave out the “that”, but you should always use it if you mean it.

“I had always wanted so deeply to be part of someone else, but now I knew.... Perhaps”...
Grammatically correct, but stylistically there could be a period in place of the comma. Also, there are four periods in an ellipse after an independent clause. The three periods in an ellipse are for subordinate clauses.

“Calm, collected, disciplined – if I had been more like him, I wouldn’t be here now. I stared out across the distorted city skyline.

If I had been more like him, none of us would be here.”
Good, but stylistically, to allow for an effective emphasis and transition, you could move the first phrase that begins with “If I had been more like him” to the end of the paragraph so that the idea flows into the next one.

“I said his name again, but his fingers did not tremble although I felt the deadness in my heart expanding to envelop me.”
Instead of “although”, the “as” rhythmically flows better. The “but” may need to become an “and”, or written like: “I said his name again. But I felt the deadness in my heart expanding to envelope me when his fingers did not tremble.”

“His resolve didn’t change, his hold didn’t waver on the gun.”
For parallel structure, it should be: “His resolve didn’t change, his hold on the gun didn’t waver.” Or “His resolve didn’t change, his hold didn’t waver.”

“Fifteen years ago I had given him everything....
The ellipses thing again.

---

Overall, I thought that this was a nice read; I especially liked your use of polysyndeton and anaphora.
Requiem about covers it all, hehe.

- I am not fond of the whole "..." ending to a sentence, unless in dialogue, and preferably not even then. It seems to me as somewhat of a cliche, or because one cannot find anything else to throw onto the end of a sentence.
I normally finish the sentence, unless I could put a following sentence together with it, instead of using three dots. Requiem's already suggested stuff, so I'm just backing her up!

- "perhaps if I had paid any attention to those sermons, I wouldn’t have ended up in this situation."
I would probably replace this with "better". I can't say why, but to me it sounds better.

- I'm not a native speaker, nor am I up to date on contemporary american/english literature, but I liked reading this. The flow was good, and I enjoyed some of your word choices, especially adjectives. This paragraph and the one that follows it is good in particular, I think; "I swung my feet slowly, (...)".