Hi-ho Hi-ho it's off to work we go
[html]
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a115/ ... gyrkin.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
ooc: Apologies for the rambling. I tend to do that when creating a scenario. Perhaps Tokyo can find him while he's enjoying his discovery? Words: 612

A deep breathe escaped from the reddish brown male as he travelled along the southeastern edge of Berwick, enjoying the warm day. His green gaze wandered as he walked, his muscular arms swinging gently with each stride he took. He was not looking for anything in particular today. After all, he had been searching nonstop for the tools of his trade, with only the occasional success, every day since he had joined Dahlia de Mai. He needed a brief respite from his quest. That could wait for another, less pleasant day. However, despite having no intention to search for anything, Rath's gooseberry green gaze was drawn to an overgrown dirt path which led back through the forest to a small, beam and timber house. It reminded him of the log cabin he had grown up in. However, it was what was behind the small house that really caught his eye. It was an old barn, similar in appearance to the one on Haku's property, but shorted and longer in its construction. How had he missed this unique structure in his search? He had never seen this place, even though he lived only a few hundred yards away. Had he really been that oblivious every time he had searched through Berwick? However, he would have to scold himself later. At the moment, the ruddy hued male was far too interested as to what lay inside this newly discovered structure.

Everything about the barn, and even the little house next to it, looked as though it had been constructed by hand. Walking up to the thick wooden doors of the barn, Rath ran his hands over the worn, smooth surface. The doors stood about 8 feet high each and were both constructed of several individual pieces of wood held together by a system of interlocking joints. Eager to see what was inside the barn, the tall male pushed on the door. They wouldn't budge. The wood had swelled and warped slightly fixing the doors tightly in place, which he guessed was from years of exposure to the elements. However, the ruddy hued male came up with a solution. Stepping back a couple paces, Rath charged the doors. He thrust his shoulder into the doors producing a thunderous boom, as his muscular body struck the wood. After several noisy attempts, the muscular male managed to unlodge the double doors causing them both to swing open with a long, high pitched creak. He barely had time to contemplate the aching feeling in his shoulder before his eyes caught sight of the inner walls of the barn. His gooseberry green eyes widened in astonishment as they focused on the large wooden workbench wedged up against the wall. Above the workbench on hanging on hooks and sitting on shelves were several tools. There were several wooden mallets hanging from pegs on the wall, along with a set of chisels. On one of the shelves he saw two draw knives, one short and rounded the other long and straight. A large angled ruler and three saws of various sizes completed the list of tools he recognized. There were other, larger machines that littered the workshop which he did not recognize.

Rath was ecstatic to say the least. He had stumbled across an old human workshop, full of the tools of his trade. Had he not been so excited he probably would have kicked himself for not noticing this place sooner. The eager carpenter walked over to the workbench and began examining each tool individually. An overjoyed smile was plastered on the male's face, making him look like a young pup who had just received a gift of some sort.

[/html]
[html]
ooc -
ack, i am slow. 311 words

ic -
The feast laid out before her was impressive. Champ had come back, and she was there with her children - not just the two that had left her, but all of them that had been born. BOOM. Someone must be.. thudding on a table? She really must scold the children, they shouldn't kick like that. It was very rude and undignified. BOOM. She tried to open her mouth together, but there was too much food gluing her mouth shut, and she couldn't swallow either, but it tasted so good it didn't scare her much. BOOM Tokyo's eyes fluttered open, and any reflections on her dream were displaced rapidly by annoyance. Who the hell was making so much noise? Other people might care to know why, or what was happening, but this female's attention was select. She wanted to know who, because she wanted to know who to blame.

It appeared that she had fallen asleep while reading. Carefully closing her book of fairy tales, she slipped it into her bag and stood up. Brushing off the leaves and twigs that clung to the pale green cotton of her dress, she slung the bag over her shoulder. BOOM. Good, keep up the noise. It would have been even more annoying had she been unable to figure out where the sound was coming from, but they were making it easy for her to find them.

Something creaked, loudly, and Tokyo realized she had gotten pretty close pretty quickly. The noise was coming from the other side of this barn, it seemed. She walked around; the door was swung open, and a male that she recognized vaguely from the pack meeting was standing somewhat inside. There was a ton of stuff inside, and her curiosity and hunger for possessions cooled her anger somewhat. But she couldn't help herself from remarking, rather petulantly, "You woke me up."</style>

[/html]
[html]
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a115/ ... gyrkin.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
Word Count:363

The male's white tufted ears perked at the sound of a rather annoyed voice behind him. He had just been examining a large, square-headed mallet which fell from his hands in surprise as he stood up to his full height. He had woken her up? His gooseberry green gaze focused on the female inquisitively as he tried to remember what he could have done that would have woken her up. He had been so excited to find more tools that he had been lost in the moment. If one had known his previous predicament they likely would not have blamed him for his excitement. After all, he now had sufficient tools to begin working again. What with the tools Haku had given him and these tools he could begin building Colibri's greenhouse tomorrow. Unfortunately that would have to wait. A few short seconds of perplexity passed before Rath finally remembered what he had done to get into the old workshop. The tall muscular male gave an apologetic smile, his right hand reaching back to scratch his head embarrassedly. "I-I'm sorry about that. I didn't know anyone was in the area," he confessed. After speaking the 7'3" werewolf knelt down to pick up the mallet he had dropped. His movements were somewhat shaky, although he managed to keep the rest of his body from quivering nervously. He recognized this female from the pack meeting. She had been one of the several pack members he had not had the pleasure of meeting yet.

Unfortunately fate seemed to have decided to introduce them in a most unpleasant manner. However, despite fate's attempt at amusing itself, the nervous male would do his best to remedy the situation. Standing back up to his full height the ruddy hued werewolf took a few steps toward the woman and extended his hand in greeting. "I'm Henratha Gyrkin, but you may call me Rath, and I really am terribly sorry for waking you. I was trying to open these doors, and they were stuck so I applied a little brute force." Rath explained, indicating the two, thick double doors. Hopefully his explanation would lead the woman to grant him some leniency.

[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/ ... etable.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat; width:409px; border:1px #00FFF6 solid; font-size: 11px;">
ooc - wotd{may10}, word count{358}

ic -
The poor male before her looked so confused at his words. He must really care about the things he was studying; Tokyo couldn't understand. They sure didn't look like much. A bunch of oddly shaped sticks and stones and pieces of metal. Nothing pretty, like jewelry or wind chimes. Then he dropped the thing he was holding, something that just further confused her. If he cared so much about these dumb things, why would he treat them so carelessly? At least he seemed properly shamed, once the realization of the great crime he had committed had sunk in all the way. He seemed awkward, which made Tokyo more comfortable in turn; her self-assurance was always relative to that of those around her. He was big, but the instinctive fears of a wild creature had been replaced by learned associations. Instead of seeming intimidating, the stranger reminded her of her own awkward, lovable Champ: a ghost from the past.

And partly because of this, Tokyo chose to just disregard his apology. She couldn't exactly explicitly accept it, because he really hadn't suffered enough for the crime he committed, but ignoring it was as munificent of an action as she would allow herself. He stuck out his hand, and she had a brief fluttering of panic at the unfamiliar humanoid social gesture. But she had seen it before, no, maybe read about it.. She was supposed to shake his hand. Forming her hand into the same thumbs up position, she grabbed his hand and did a fair job of it. Tokyo held on just a smidge longer than normal handshakes, but how was she to know who had such little experience with the form?

"I'm Tokyo Chance, pretty new to the pack." She peered around the house again, once more trying to figure out if there was anything worth having. "Why did you want to get in here?" Her nose wrinkled in disdain. "Sure doesn't look like you found anything worthwhile." She was provoking him, a little. Intentionally - wanting to tease out the hidden value of these objects without quite yet overtly exposing her desire to take what was valuable.

[/html]
[html]
ooc:Word Count:392

The nervous male was glad that the female accepted his handshake, even though it seemed he had caught her off guard by his human gesture. He was relieved when she introduced herself, taking it to mean that she was not all that angry with him. Surely an angry individual wouldn't shake someone's hand, let alone introduce themselves to the person they were angry at. That managed to calm his nerves ever so slightly. The ruddy hued werewolf watched as Tokyo scanned the interior of the shop before speaking to him again. What was she looking for? He didn't really have time to wonder as the woman asked him two questions. He was not at all surprised by her inquiries. They were perfectly logical to ask at this point in the conversation.

Clearing his throat, Rath responded, his tenor voice carrying a friendly tone with it. "I had a hunch that there would be something useful to me inside this building, and indeed there was. I've been looking for tools like this for weeks. Now I can start woodworking again." Rath smiled eagerly, his gooseberry green gaze travelling to the workbench behind him and the large, unknown machine in the corner of the barn, before returning to Tokyo to respond to her second statement. "I would unfortunately have to disagree with you about the value of these objects. I find them quite worthwhile. Although, I suppose you're correct that most people probably wouldn't get as excited as I am over a set of human carpentry tools. I guess, I know their true value because I know how to use them properly," he replied, nodding emphatically, his unruly pony-tail bobbing a single time in accordance with his head. He figured that Mew would find these tools to be valuable. Perhaps he would have to tell her about this workshop...or better yet perhaps he could move the tools to his home and set up his workshop there. Yes, that seemed like a better course of action. That way he wouldn't have to worry about any of his tools disappearing. The shaggy werewolf couldn't help but allow his mind to wander temporarily, excited about the possible projects he would now be able to undertake. However, he quickly returned his attention to Tokyo, his gaze focusing on her inquisitively, silently asking if she had any more questions.

[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/ ... etable.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat; width:409px; border:1px #00FFF6 solid; font-size: 11px;">
ooc - 310 words

ic -
Well, blah. Tools. The stuff in here didn't even have it's own intrinsic value, then. Sometimes ugly things were rare and worth a lot to everyone, and then they were worth taking anyway because you could trade them for pretty things. But except for like, this one guy Rath, no one was really going to want these tools. What was it he said they were good for? Woodworking? Maybe if Tokyo took a tool she could offer to trade it back to him if he... woodworked her something. Or maybe she had stirred up enough guilt about him waking her up that he'd be willing to.. woodwork her a present anyway. "What do you make with woodworking?" He was probably going to answer with a very large amount of things she didn't really care about. She should be more specific, so she wouldn't be bored. "Like, can you make pretty things."

Oh, she hoped that he could. Now that she had a den and a stable place to live, Tokyo could far more easily horde possessions. It had always been very difficult when her and Champ were chased off various pack lands; she had to leave so much behind. All that she had still owned when she started traveling back down south to the place of her birth was her brown pouch and the few miscellaneous things inside of it. But now.. now there was no fear that the things she acquired would be lost. She trusted her pack not to steal from her, because as a general rule she didn't plan on stealing from them. If she had decided one of the items here was worth having, though, it wouldn't have been stealing. This male and her had found this place at basically the same time, it would have been only her right to take part of the treasure discovered.

[/html]
[html]
Words 300+

What could he make? The better question would have been what he couldn’t make with woodworking. Granted he didn't have many of the precise tools he needed to make the more elaborate and intricate things he knew of, but if he ever found such tools he would certainly be able to make all sorts of pretty things that this woman seemed to fancy. "I can make lots of things, although I don't have the precise tools to make some of the prettiest things I know how to make. Those tools are very hard to find. These tools are used for building things like tables, chairs, and even houses, although that takes quite a lot of time. With these chisels," he paused and pointed to the complete set of specialized woodworking chisels, "I could engrave symbols and pictures into wood. That's probably the prettiest thing I could do at the moment." The shaggy male was completely unaware of the thoughts running through the females head. To him, she seemed understandably curious about his trade. After all it wasn't everyday that one might run across a wolf that was skilled in carpentry and woodworking. The fact that she seemed interested was calming him down quite a bit, and his trembling speech was beginning to regulate and return to normal. Absentmindedly, the ruddy hued brute reached his hands back behind his head and tightened the string that tied his kinky, messy hair in place. It had begun to loosen and the last thing he needed at the moment was for his unruly hair to come flying forward into his face. After that was done he was more than content to wait to see if Tokyo had any more questions for him. He rested his hands on the work bench behind him, his hands feeling the worn smooth wood.

[/html]
[html]
ooc -
210 words

ic -
He could engrave things, which was kinda cool, but what Tokyo's mind latched on was that with these tools, Rath could make chairs. One of the places that she had lived at with Champ, a very long time ago, had had some chairs. One of them had been wooden, and rocked when she bounced it with her legs. Champ hadn't been able to shift, and so hadn't really understood her fascination with the simple piece of furniture, but it was incredibly comfortable to read the books of that house while seated in such a fancy human contraption. Her brows furrowed. "Would you make me a chair, now that you have these tools?"

Even if Tokyo knew about the custom of paying someone for services such as this, she probably wouldn't have offered. She was here when the tools were discovered, she deserved some of the benefit that would be derived from them. "Maybe one of the rocking ones, if you can do that kind?" She could take it back to her den on the coast, and set it up at the back entrance, where you could watch the sun setting on the ocean. It would be a beautiful place to read. "Oh, and maybe you could engrave my name in it!"

[/html]
[html]
Wow...short post. Sorry about that, I guess my muse didn't want to cooperate ^^'

The tall male was surprised by the woman's request. It had been the last thing he had expected. Perhaps this was payback for him waking her up, although he doubted that this female was that vengeful. Nope, it was more likely that she just wanted a chair, which Rath could understand. Besides, making chairs was not that difficult of a task. "I could certainly make you a rocking chair, but it may take awhile. You see, I already promised someone else that I would build them a greenhouse, and I'm not even halfway done with that project yet. Once I'm done though, I'll make you a rocking chair as fast as I can." That was reasonable wasn't it? After all, he was only one person. It's not like he could build two things at once. Surely the Tokyo would understand. It was not his preference that led him to make that choice, but necessity. He had promised Colibri her greenhouse several days ago, long before he had met Tokyo. It was simply a matter of priority. In an attempt to emphasize his sincerity, Rath smiled warmly, his white tufted ears pricked forward alertly. It was in his nature to try and be friendly towards others. He might have looked big and tough, but the term gentle giant more than perfectly fit his description.

[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/ ... tablep.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat; width:409px; border:1px #FCFF00 solid; font-size: 10px;">
ooc -
hope you don't mind me wrapping this up? it seems we've gotten to a point in the thread where both of our muses are dropping off a little, haha. we should definitely have a thread once enough time has passed that you think the chair would be completed, or sometime before perhaps Big Grin. 235 words.

ic -
Tokyo nodded. Blah blah blah greenhouse blah blah. The important thing was, he was going to make her a chair. Good, he agreed to her request and she didn't even have to stop being pleasant. His willingness to please her reminded the female even further of her old friend Champ. This was shaping up to be a rather nice day, actually. Which was surprising, since she thought it was pretty much ruined after having been woken up so rudely. Well, he certainly cleared his name - or would, as long as he followed through on his promise. But why would he be so dumb as to tell her he'd do something only to back out of it later? No, he would certainly deliver to her a chair. And then that would be awesome.

She beamed, truly happy, and it suited her pretty face much more than it's usual scowl or fake, over-innocent mask. "That would be amazing. Thank you so much." As interested as he was in talking about his trade, Tokyo's patience for things she didn't care that much about was wearing somewhat thin. Pretending, of course, to have his best interests in mind: "Well, I should stop interfering and let you figure out exactly what tools you found. If you're looking for me later, my den's northeast from here, along the coast." Tokyo grinned again and waved as she departed towards the door.

[/html]