Ex Cineribus
[html]
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... ranth1.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom; border:1px solid black;">
Open for anybody, for any reason (this includes puppies, though she's not much good with them). This is set at Grandfather's Tears, in case it's unclear. Amaranth's new to a lot of things so... if anybody wants to teach her more about the tribe or about the area in general that would be fun (I've read, but she hasn't Wink), but if you have something else in mind I'm totally open to that too.

---

The rabbit wriggled a few last times, but eventually it succumbed to the pressure of her jaws. Amaranth shook it once for good measure (it didn't dare to twitch again), then set it down in the grass. It had been more than a while since her last meal, and she wasn't inclined to be dainty in the least. She bit into the leg, ripping flesh from bone, completely oblivious to the fact that blood was quickly staining her cream-colored muzzle red. The rabbit was very quickly demolished to a few unsavory parts and clean-picked bones, which she dragged out into a clearing. For the carrion birds. Mama always said it was good luck. She yipped quietly then trotted away from the clearing, tail held high. It was her signal to any watching birds that she would not wait in ambush to take them for her dinner in addition to the rabbit.

Only after her own mini-ritual was complete did she begin to think about her appearance. She was, after all, new to the pack - tribe, Dawali called it a tribe - and certainly one of its other members would find her soon. She must look perfect. She must be perfect. Only then will they see me as an equal, listen to my voice as one of theirs. Her thoughts were at once dejected and determined. I must learn from my past.

She padded over to a stream nearby and knelt to drink heartily from it. She sneezed immediately, not prepared for the mineraly taste of the spring water, but she kept drinking. Her ears drooped a tad with disappointment when she noticed the whirls of red water which sped downstream from her maw. She'd made a mess of herself and it hadn't been even a quarter of a day since Dawali had pronounced her as fit for the tribe. While finding something to eat was an urgent first priority for the famished wolf, she did genuinely intend to introduce herself. When the time is right, was the excuse she gave herself. She set about fixing her appearance as best she could, brushing dirt off with an awkward stroke of her tail wherever anatomy allowed. The wolf walked slowly a few more paces down the stream's bank then settled upon a rock which had been sun-warmed for most of the day. It must have been sunset, by the position of the sun, but she wasn't quite ready to call it a day yet. There's still time for a rest before true dark, and I can go find their dens and- her thoughts trailed off as she slipped into the world somewhere between wakefulness and sleep.
[/html]
[html]

.......Hi x) Hemming doesn't know much about AniWaya but he does know a very general history of the area so he could share that..

ANOTHER HARD-LUCK STORY

.......It had only been a few days since Hemming had been in these woods. The last time, he had been so lost in thoughts and dreams that he had imagined that the music drifting through the still air was the voices of the trees as they sang him a story. It wasn't actually their song, he had learned when he found the musician responsible, but it still told a tale. Perhaps that story was what had pulled him back to the place. There were many things about it all that made him skeptical, and though he figured actual physical investigation wouldn't reveal a lot of truth, he wanted to get a feel for the place. Later he could ask Dawali or someone else who might know what happened.

.......The trees were growing close together, and Hemming found it easier to manoeuvre in his lupus form. With all four paws on the ground he trotted toward the springs, where he had found Maldrid last time and where mysterious deaths were rumoured to occur. The small amount of light that penetrated the forest canopy was dwindling as the sun set, and the male was beginning to worry that he wouldn't find his way. He didn't have a good idea what path he had followed the last time, and relied on the faint trickling of water in the distance.

.......It seemed like it had been quite a while - time was frozen in these woods - but eventually the wolf did find what he was looking for. He slipped out of the trees into the clearing, surprised to find that there was someone already there. Keeping his distance from her, he moved toward the springs and settled himself on a rock a ways downstream. Hemming watched the other for a moment - she seemed to be sleeping - before peering into the water that flowed past him. What mysteries did it hide?

[/html]
[html]
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... ranth1.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom; border:1px solid black;">
Hi! Sorry for the wait, I was really busy last night!

---

Amaranth awakened - though she would never have admitted that she had actually fallen asleep in such an awkward spot at such an awkward time - with a start. She twitched then stood immediately straight, her ruff standing straight up and her nerves strung taut. She glanced around frantically until her eyes fell upon a stranger, a gray-colored wolf who seemed to be enjoying the sun-warmed boulders as much as she. She sniffed hurriedly, at once thrilled and terrified that she might deal with a trespasser on her very first day, but his scent was familiar to her by now, laced with the same undertones of leather and corn as all of AniWaya's land. He was pack (tribe! she reminded herself again), so she consciously forced her fur back down, easing the muscles that kept her ears perked and muzzle wrinkled at the same time.

"You must be AniWaya. I am Amaranth... who are you?" She was ashamed at her pitiful excuse of a greeting - first a reaction to threat, then awkward stammering - but she would never admit it, and trying to repeat herself would be admitting it (at least in her eyes). "I am new here, an Itse. I don't know much about the tribe, not even where they - you - sleep." It was a pathetic excuse for falling asleep on a rock, but it would have to do. It was all she could manage.

Amaranth rose and casually stretched her legs - long for a female, though she still stood shorter than most males - then walked slowly closer to this stranger. As she walked she sampled his scent; it was interesting, and several notes of it were completely foreign to her. When she drew close, she nodded her head slightly, then stopped a couple paces short of his rock, not wanting to intrude. She sat back onto her hind legs, holding her tail just off the ground, not wanting to get it dirty. This was, after all, still a first impression. She must look perfect, especially if he were to show her to the rest of the tribe.
[/html]
[html]

.......No worries!

ANOTHER HARD-LUCK STORY

.......After he had found the springs and accomplished his mission, Hemming's mind wandered away. It took him a few moments to notice that the wolf he was sharing the clearing with was moving, but the information wasn't quite received by his brain and he continued to stare into the stream. It was wonderfully soothing, the way it moved and smoothed the little rocks beneath it, and the peacefulness of it all was making his eyelids start to droop a little. In the past few days, the male had been waking before sunrise and falling asleep after sunset, and with the long summer days that wasn't a lot of sleep. The excitement of his days were certainly a contributing factor to his lack of sleep as well; once he was settled in a bit more he'd be able calm down enough to sleep.

.......His eyes snapped open when he heard the other's voice, and he lifted his head to address her. "Hi, I'm Hemming," he replied slightly hazily, "I'm new here, too." Starting to come out of his lull, he smiled. "I went without a place to sleep for the first couple of nights, just sleeping wherever I fancied. There's a myriad of nice places around here where one can do so, as well. I'm not really sure where everyone else sleeps, actually. Ember sleeps down in the caves. She helped me pick a place out." The male didn't find it unusual at all to be sleeping on a rock by a spring; had the other not spoken to him he would have drifted off into a light sleep as well.

.......The male realized he was sort of running his mouth off, and stopped to consider what the other was really saying. "I don't know much about the tribe yet either. Have you poked around the village yet? It's quite interesting, and there's a stable with horses..." Hemming smiled again, softly, thinking about the offer he had received to help train a few of them. They were one of the most intriguing things he had run across in AniWaya territory so far.

[/html]