Son of Sun
[html]

OoC: for Shadow! :3

Jacquez Trouillefou smiled, basking in the hot sun atop a large rock. All manner of things washed up here, on the coast - including himself, he thought with an inward chuckle. Now that they had staked their claim, and no one had challenged it thus far, he had begun to explore a little further in. Not all of their land was open sand and rocky grotto; further in there were some fields, and a little copse of forest, which was where he assumed Leroy had done his hunting. The collie-dog stretched, sprawled comfortably on his lean back. He was highly pleased with how much space they had. Where he had come from, it was so overcrowded, under-supplied, dirty, even. This was idyllic.

He scratched his chest lazily with one hand, letting it fall to one side as a cloud momentarily obscured the sunlight. The break in his sunbathing luckily did not last long enough to colour his mood, and he sighed with contentedness, turning his head to look at the nearby cabin. He was not new to being a leader - that came as naturally as breathing - but he was new here, to this place and its customs and its many wolves and coyotes. It made him wonder off-handedly whether or not Ruri would be happy here. They didn't have much of a choice when it came to leaving the south - it was that or starve, or live under constant fear of being attacked and driven off - but this place would get cold as the months dragged on, and Ruri was rather small in comparison to even the runty wolves. He didn't want her in danger.

Yawning deeply, the king let his dark eyes flutter shut, gearing up for an afternoon catnap. He was in the heart of his new homeland, with his comrades scattered to the edges - no fear of attack here. They could come and go as they pleased, so long as they did not interrupt his royal sleep.

[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/ ... 5/ruri.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
Still waters run deep

The scents on the wind told many things to the blind girl. Depending upon which direction it was blowing, she could smell her fellow packmembers, if they were within range. Being blind might have been an inconvenience on occasion, but the fact that her other senses were keener because of it balanced the equation. The most recent gust of ocean wind had brought with it the nearby scent of her best friend and her king. 'He'd better not be taking a nap!' she told herself. She loved and respected her king like an older brother, but that didn't mean that she couldn't reprimand him when he was being lazy. This was a nice day, why waste it by lying around on a rock. It did not occur to the fragile optime that that had been mostly what she had done over the past week or so that Jacquez had been gone. Granted she had been greatly distressed over his absence and exhausted, but she had still been fairly lazy.

That wasn't going to stop her from telling the king a thing or two. She made her way towards the rock where Jac was lying, having memorized more of the area surrounding the cabin. However, the rock he was on was the very extent of her memorized route. Even for someone with as good a memory as her's, there were only so many tangible details of an area that could be memorized. However, what knowledge she had of the route to the rock cut her travel time in half and in about a minute, the delicate border collie traipsed up to the large rock, her keen sense of smell informing her that Jac was right in front of her. "Isn't there something you should be doing right now? Everbody else is off doing something, but you're here sleeping! If you want to be lazy, the least you could do is invite me to be lazy with you," her soprano voice scolded in mock irritation. She couldn't keep up with her ruse for long, however, as she laughed almost immediately after she had spoken her last words. The slate and ivory dog did her best to feel her way up onto the rock, only stopping when her hand touched Jac's fur, which told her that she was next to him. If he was going to stay lying down, he'd have to make room for her.

[/html]
[html]

OoC:...

Another shadow cast atop his face, and he grunted with irritation, wanting to bask in the sun uninterrupted. It was not to be, however, since this was no cloud. Ruri's scolding voice sounded above him, and he sighed, smiling despite himself. She was good at catching him; he'd have to try harder next time, if he really wanted to be lazy. Maybe he could try lounging on the roof of the cabin... she might catch his scent, but no way she would figure out where he was. Filing the idea away for future reference, the collie-mix yawned, inching to one side of the flat obelisk to make room for his sidekick.

"Ah, Ruri ma petite. I assumed you were off doing something useful, otherwise I would have clued you in to my tanning spot." He chuckled at his own joke - as dogs, their fur was thinner than that of the wolves and coyotes, and were prone to getting their noses sunburnt. It was a common affliction among their crewmates, being exposed to the elements as they were. Former crewmates, perhaps. "You seem to be getting along well with our new family! I am glad that you have made friends so quickly." He flashed his whiskery smile, eyes still comfortably shut against the bright daylight. He liked their new pack, too, although he wished he could locate more of their old gang. He had not expected them to run off on their own, but since he had not found any drowned corpses, he assumed that was the case. He did not mourn the loss of his posse, though - it was easy to form a new one. Life happened. Events transpired. He was not the type to dwell on the past.

"Speaking of friends... Would you like me to describe any of them, their looks? It is strange to me, seeing everyone with their shaggy fur and their pointy ears. You and I, we stand out! No one else has folded ears like we do..." He reached his hand out, fingers tugging lightly on Ruri's blue-merle fur. It was true; they were used to diversity, but not being in the minority. Jac liked that his handsome looks were now considered exotic and foreign - along with his accent. He had already found several girls to flirt with, although none of them had accepted his advances... yet. He would keep trying.

[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/ ... 5/ruri.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
Still waters run deep

Right after she sat down next to Jac on the slab of warm rock, she folded her arms in disapproval of Jac's excuse. "What could I possibly have been doing? I'm blind remember? I can't do anything really useful without help," she replied with a slightly scoffing, but amused tone. Her ability to detect when the king was fibbing or not had grown gradually over her time with him to the point where trying to hide something from her was almost pointless. She still couldn't figure out why he kept trying, however. Perhaps that was just in his persistent nature never to give up. Fortunately for Jac, Ruri was not really in the mood to scold him anymore. As long as he knew she was still wise to most of his tricks then she would be content. The blue merle and white collie girl smiled when Jac mentioned their family. It had been odd for her to make friends with all of them so quickly. The fact that she'd been separated from Jac and thus in need of companionship had driven her to be openly accepting of all who were nice to her. It hadn't just been her fellow pack members that she had befriended either.

As she sat there, next to Jac, her thoughts drifted momentarily to the quiet, and slightly secretive male who had visited her only three days after she had arrived on these shores. Why had Heath not come to see her again? He had seemed to enjoy her company and she certainly had enjoyed his, although at the time she would have enjoyed anyones company as long as it diverted her attention from her depression. Her pale blue eyes wandered aimlessly, being protected from the direct sunlight by a few strands of her long, silken hair. Hopefully the male would travel this way again sometime. She would like to talk to him again, now that she was not the depressed basket case she had been when they had first met.

She was snapped out of her dreamlike state of mind by Jac's booming voice. She laughed as Jac spoke of how he and she were the minority in these lands. He had offered to describe her friends to her, to which she smiled and shook her head gently in a negative fashion. "I appreciate the offer, Jacquez, but I don't think describing them to me would do me much good. Visual descriptions don't mean anything to me, since I don't know what the words refer to," her soprano voice twittered in a gentle laugh before she resumed speaking. "I prefer to characerize my friends based on different things, like smell and touch. Take you for instance," she paused and laid her delicate hand on his shoulder, running her fingers through his fur."My image of you, is a very strong, soft-furred person, with a deep voice that I can hear from a great distance. You're a lot taller than me and you don't where human clothes like the others do on occasion. You smell, mostly of the sea; and more often than not you have the faint scent of some sort of alcohol lingering on you," she giggled in an almost puppish fashion before finishing, "You're personality also makes up a large part of how I see you, although it would take me too long for me to tell you just how wonderful I think you are. I missed you a lot, Jac." She smiled before lying down beside Jac and wrapping her arms around him in a display of the deep, familial affection she had for him. She hadn't been able to give him a hug the day he had returned, so this hug was going to make up for that time as best as possible.

[/html]
[html]

OoC:...

Her high clear voice chimed like a bell beside him, reminding him of her many insecurities. She might always have the mind of a child, wanting to be accepted and liked, wanting to be needed. "How could I forget, petite, with you constantly reminding me? But surely even you have noticed, you need no help to lift the spirits of our new royal court. They all carry great burdens, but when they are near your sweet smile and your nightingale's voice, they feel lighter than feathers." He relaxed as the sun's warmth crept tendrils down his russet-gold muzzle, spreading across the cream-pale fur of his throat, filtering onto his whipcord-muscled torso. Sunbathing was one of his favorite hobbies. The sun king, indeed.

He rumbled contentedly, purring like a cat as Ruri curled her arms around his frame. He liked physical contact of all sorts -- he was a hands-on kind of guy. (Or hand-on, since he only had the one to work with.) Things were different with Ruri than with other girls, though. Without knowing their history, an outsider might easily jump to the conclusion that the two collies were in love. Ruri was always boasting about her brave strong companion, and Jac always spoke fondly of his little partner, always at his side. They both got away with things that others did not. And yet, things had and always would be purely platonic. The blind girl had filled the role of "family member" - he had raised her like a daughter, trusted her like a sister, even relied on her like a mother. Her naive innocence was charming enough to leave intact - he would never corrupt her, like he did every other pretty face he came across. And because his simple mind and poor memory did not have room for many complicated bonds, he felt no need to search for a mate or have children. He already had Ruri. It was too tricky to explain to Leroy, in their heart to heart the other day, and not something he often felt the need to explicate. People just had to spend time around the inseparable pair to realize how it was between them.

"Fair enough, mon amie. It is only I who would continuously stare at the physical; it takes your insight to show me what a person truly looks like." He chuckled, listening with interest to her loving description of him. It all sounded very noble, just the way he liked it. Except perhaps the bit about being a drunkard, but that was truth enough. Now he was thirsty. "You know I missed you too, cherie. It's not the same with you."

[/html]
[html]
Still waters run deep

Ruri smiled, feeling a bit embarrassed when Jac described how she helped the pack. That wasn't such a big deal was it? All she did was talk with those who needed it, and sing occasionally. She liked to do that, and it just seemed like common courtesy to her. Was that really being useful? Her half-folded ears flicked atop her head as she pondered the answer to her silent question. "Thanks Jac, I appreciate that. It makes me feel better to know that you think I'm useful," she replied. What difference did it make whether she thought she was useful or not? If Jac thought she was doing something good, then she must have been doing something right. He did know a lot more about this sort of stuff than she did anyway. The slender femme removed her arms from around Jac's body, only to rest her head on his shoulder, enjoying the warmth of his fur. This had been one of her habits since she was a pup. Whenever she'd caught Jac sunbathing, she'd always come ly next to him, at least until she got to warm. Unbeknownst to her, her blue merle fur absorbed more of the sun's rays than Jac's lighter coat, thus making her get hotter sooner. She of course, thought she was just less tolerant to the weather than Jac was. Fur color was completely meaningless to the blind girl. Hearing Jac say that things weren't the same without her made her beam with happiness yet again. She was glad to know that Jac needed her, just like she needed him. "Do you remember that old shirt you gave me? That one I would where to keep warm during the winter? I lost it when the ship sank. Do you think maybe you could find me another one? I probably won't need it anytime soon. The weather seems to be getting warmer. I thought I would just bring it up, so that you might think about it the next time you go to the city, wherever that is."The shirt Ruri was referring to had been an old wool sweater that Jac had given her when she was little. In her days as a pup, she had used it as a comfortable blanket, but when she had learned to shift she would wear it one those occasional days when it would be cold down south, especially when it was raining. Being that they now lived in an area that got cold more often than not, it only seemed logical to the thin furred female to try and get something to keep her warm. She knew Jac would probably forget, but she knew that if she told him now, it might resurface in his memory sometime when he was in the city, or at least she hoped so.

[/html]
[html]

OoC: He's so ADD. Hey, Ruri could take the "Lautari" co-rank, to be their Bard...!

Ruri rested her slender head against his shoulder, her usual spot. Jac crossed his legs, curling his tail over the side of their perch. The dark stone radiated the warmth it had absorbed from the sky, heating their backs as equally as their fronts. He would definitely be staking a claim to this wonderful beach-rock.

"Are you aware of what a piercing is, mon amie? Haven has one," he said abruptly, reminded by the sparkling of the sun on his golden fur. He could not explain how jealous it made him that his Knight had more shiny things than he did. "I am looking into getting some myself. They are little metal rings and bars that one wears through their body. Like on ears, lips, eyebrows..." He gave her a description anyway. Some dogs back home tried it, but often the unsanitary studs caused unpleasant infection. They didn't have the best medical expertise, that was for certain. Now, in this new world, many more possibilities were to be found. He could finally dazzle his onlookers with bangles of every element!

He had forgotten about Ruri's sweater. Neither of them had a lot of material possessions to bring along on the ship trek, and it had been the loss of the ship that had stung his pride the most. Thinking on it now, Ruri must have been upset to lose that little scrap of fabric, considering how long she had clung to it. He had looted it from an old shell of a building, the same place he found his floppy hat with the broken ostrich feather. That had been lost overboard in a heartbeat, the wide brim catching the wind and soaring away... He missed that cool old hat. Wait, wasn't he supposed to be thinking about something else? Sweater, right!

"You are correct, ma petite Ruri, I must find you a new way to stay warm. We will light many cheerful bonfires. But I will look for some clothes - and perhaps ask mademoiselle Firefly, because her keen sense of femininity extends to several garments I have seen her sporting." His blind companion wouldn't care what they looked like, but if she liked the feel of them, she could try on the breezy summer dresses he had seen several wolfesses showing off. Clothes were an oddity to him because he preferred to show off his natural form, but he had to admit that sometimes those dresses accented just the right spots to get him going. Human leftovers could be fun.

[/html]
[html]
Still waters run deep

Hmm I suppose she could. I hadn't thought of that. If it's alright with you, oh pack leader, then sure Ruri can be the Lautari ^_^

Ruri smiled as the conversation rapidly turned to a new topic. Talking with Jac was always interesting. "Piercings? Yes, I do think I know what your talking about. They always sounded so very painful to me. I don't know why you'd want to put a hard piece of metal through any part of your body, especially anywhere on your face. I mean, wouldn't it make your ears hang weirdly if you had a piece of metal waying them down? I don't even want to think of how annoying it would be to have one on my lip or eye brow. They just sound so inconvenient," she replied, her musical voice carrying a tone of distaste at the idea of a piercing. That was her opinion at least. If Jac wanted one, he would likely get one whether she approved or not. After all, she could be completely wrong regarding piercings.

Fortunately the blind girl was not allowed to ponder the idea for very long as Jac consented to helping her find something to keep her warm. It hadn't occurred to her to ask Firefly, but when the king made the suggestion it made complete sense to her. Surely Firefly would know where to find what she was looking for. Ruri's plumed tail wagged behind her happily at the thought of getting something new to wear. She had always liked the soft feeling of her woolen sweater against her fur, that and the insulating effect it had. All they would have to do would be to find something that felt nice and kept her warm and Ruri would be ecstatic. "I'll have to ask Firefly about it when she comes back," she announced, excited to discuss the topic of clothing with fiery woman. She nuzzled Jac in silent gratitude for his suggestion.

[/html]
[html]

OoC: Boo, short post. I'll go request your co-rank! Smile

His deep voice rumbled in a chuckle, amused by his sidekick's disapproval. "'Inconvenient'? They are hardly an inconvenience, ma petite, merely an adornment. Jewelry that cannot be taken off or stolen. I have been thinking... perhaps I would like one in my tongue." His dark eyes fluttered open, looking with anticipation to the small werewolf snuggled against him. She would probably be disgusted, and it would be funny to watch her face! He had never seen a pierced tongue before, but now that it occurred to him, he wanted to try it.

Her wagging tail and complimentary nuzzle gave him all the thanks he needed. Hopefully Seneschal Firefly could locate her some new garments, since Jac's memory was not to be relied on. "So... you like Firefly, then, yes? It's good for you to have a female friend, I think, since you spend so much time with me. Perhaps she will teach you some of the girly things I cannot." He laughed aloud, although it was somewhat true. To the best of his knowledge, Ruri had not really bonded with anyone besides himself, even having met Firefly and DaVinci many moons ago, and having sailed with them for a time. Coming here might be a good step for the sightless youth, because the new surroundings could help her mature. Or perhaps she would stay the same as ever, like Jacquez did, unflappable and incorrigible.

[/html]
[html]
Still waters run deep

ooc: My post wasn't much better. Perhaps we are both being afflicted by minor writer's block. Oh well.
Thanks for requesting Ruri's Co-rank. It'll be nice for Ruri to finally have an official job that she can do. She'll be happy XD

Ruri's jaw dropped in shock, her body shuddering slightly at the thought of the discomfort a piercing would induce on her tongue. "Oh, Jac, that sounds just awful! Why would you do that? I mean...surely that would hurt far more than on your ear or eyebrow or something, but...goodness, your tongue!?" She questioned in a concerned, shocked tone of voice. Surely Jac was joking? There were numerous reasons the sensitive girl could think of not to get a piercing on one's tongue. First off, the discomfort of having something poked through the tongue. The blind collie girl knew how it hurt to bite her tongue and she could only imagine that a piercing would hurt worse than that. Then there was the issue of the stud possibly weighing down one's tongue. That would make it difficult to talk wouldn't it? The list of concerns ran on in the girl's mind, and she could have begun to name her concerns had Jac not adeptly changed the subject to divert her attention.

"I like everyone in Cour des Miracles, Jac, although I do find talking with Firefly to be quite fun. I'm not sure what sort of girly things you could possibly be referring to, but...I guess I agree with you," the musical, soprano voice carried an agreeable tone as the ivory and merle optime continued to lie next to her best friend with her head gently resting on his shoulder and her long, silky hair draped across the stone behind her. This was the best day the delicate collie dog had enjoyed in quite awhile. She didn't care that they weren't really doing anything. All she cared about was that she was relaxing with Jac, something she enjoyed almost more than anything.

[/html]
[html]

OoC: I've had some sort of writer's block all week. D: Here's hoping I can be more creative! Oh, and happy June birthday to us both, lawl. <3

Her face lit up with shock, just as he predicted, and he chuckled again. She even shuddered, much to his wicked delight. "I suppose if I do it wrong, I may not be able to speak afterwards," he mused innocently, pinching his tongue between his claws to mimic the slurring effect a stud might have on his speech. The vague french accent coupled with the slur would make him all but unintelligible. It would be a fun experiment.

"We will find more packmates, more females for you to spend your time with," he promised soberly, nodding his head to emphasize his own words. If she thought talking to Firefly was fun, then she would surely enjoy having more than one lady friend! Somehow Svara fit more into the "guy" category in his shady mind, despite the vision problems both young girls could relate to. "I am not privy to the goings-on of a woman's mind," he added in a stage whisper, as though he were divulging some great secret, "but I do know that you ladies like each other's company." Just like men could be drinking buddies, hunting buddies, bragging buddies; women could tell jokes at the expense of their male counterparts and discuss their feelings, or whatever it was that females did in their free time. He might know how to compliment them and seduce them, but the king was highly ignorant when it came to befriending them and understanding them.

He exhaled slowly, soothed by the steady beating of Ruri's heart next to his. Her warm face was nestled in the hollow of his shoulder, and without really thinking, he let his claws run through her silky mane, stroking her head. It was an automatic reaction, something he had done since she was nothing but a tiny puppy following him around. "I am glad you like it here," he said with actual relief. It was one of the few things that mattered.

/td>
[/html]
[html]
Still waters run deep

Whoops, wrong account. Oh well, at least I used the right table ^^'. So, Miyu, shall we end this thread?

The ivory and slate hued girl frowned at Jac's mention of the speach impediment he was prepared to incur upon himself with the piercing he desired. She would have to oppose this with as much might as her fragile form could muster. Not being able to hear her best friend speak would deprive her of one of her favorite things in life. Since hearing was one of the ways she viewed the world, she wouldn't want to have an integral part of her life blocked by such an unnecessary thing as a piercing in her best friend's tongue. "Are you sure you'd rather not get a piercing in your ear or some other place? I like your voice just the way it is, and if you couldn't talk, I'd be very upset." She spoke with definite sincerity and a slight pout on her face. Although she herself could not see it, the blind girl had learned that making such a face had occasionally forced Jac to relent from whatever course of action he had planned on taking. It was odd that a girl whose eyes proved useless for their intended function of sight could be so skilled in producing a puppy-dog, sad-eyed pout.

Fortunately for Jac, he would not have to look at Ruri's pouting face for long as he had changed the subject once again, causing Ruri to focus on listening, rather than dissuading her friend from piercing his tongue. The idea of having more girls to talk to was very appealing to the adolescent collie girl. Being that her closest companion was Jac, Ruri had grown up without any girl friends to talk with and as a result she was quite uneducated in the subtleties of womanhood. "I think I'd like that. You're so busy these days with your kingly duties that I get left without people to talk to for hours at a time. It'd be nice to have more people to talk to." The innocent-minded girl would have been content to make friends with anyone who joined the pack, after getting to know them of course."I like it here very much, Jac, although some of the terrain is a little hard for me to navigate. I've managed to memorize most of the area around the cabin. That's how I was able to find you so quickly. I'll be happy anywhere you take me...as long as you're there of course," the devoted girl giggled after she quickly added the last part to her response. As long as she was where Jac was, she was content. Although everyone in Cour des Miracles, especially the royal court, was her family, she was by far the closest to Jac. Anyone who observed her with him might think she was attached to him by an invisible rope, for she was never too far from his side. She was, in every sense of the word, the perfect sidekick to the king, and she intended to stay that way.

So with her last response given, Ruri adjusted her position slightly, still resting her head upon his shoulder. If they wasted the entire day just basking in the sun, she wouldn't care in the least. Right now, everything was perfect.

[/html]