Taking a Break
[html]
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a115/ ... gyrkin.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
There we go. Hope it reads decently.

Words:499

The steady rhythm of the axe on wood finally stopped as the sun reached its high noon position. The last of his 12, long logs had been shaped into nice, relatively even square beams. Resting the head of his axe on the ground and using the handle to prop himself up, the muscular male surveyed his work thus far. He still had a long way to go, but even he was astounded with his progress. Even though had hadn't done any strenuous carpentry work in almost half a year, he had been able to accomplish these strenuous tasks in record time. Of course, he had barely stopped for sleep, and his arms and shoulders now ached in protest, but at least he was finished...for now. With a an accomplished grin on his face, Henratha hefted the final beam from its place on his makeshift supports before plopping it down with a loud 'clack' on the pile he had made, next to his house. An even dozen, that should be enough to at least get the basic structure of the building finished.

After setting down the final log, which had been the smallest of his twelve logs, Rath sauntered into his home, to deposit his axe in its resting place. Even though it was only noon, he was done for the day. He'd been doing nothing but nonstop work for the past three days, with only a few hours in the evening used for sleep. Now it was time for a break. Of course, he didn't want to just spend his time alone, so whether he liked it or not, he was going to go find someone to talk to. So, the tall, reddish brown optime strode northward, from his home on the southeastern edge of Berwick towards Wolfville. If he was lucky, perhaps he'd even run into Colibri. He had heard nothing from her, since the pack's anniversary celebration. His only contacts had been a brief conversation with Tokyo Chance and a discussion with the young pup Catalyst de Sadira, which he had enjoyed, especially the latter, but they had not satisfied his need for a good conversation with a friend. Plus, he needed to find out what was going on within the pack, although he was unsure that Coli would know too much about the social going's-on of the pack. After all, she was just as shy as he was, and did not strike him as one to openly seek out social contacts. He could be wrong; however, in fact he usually was when it came to social matters. Being that he had spent much of his life isolated from pack life, his lack of social knowledge often led him to make incorrect conclusions. However, that didn't stop him from occasionally venturing out into the social arena as he was now. Even those who were used to solitude needed contact with others every now and then, and Rath was sore with a need for some friendly socializing.

[/html]
[html]

It's lovely! C=

WC: 395

lost into the weight of gravity

Colibri's world had been expanding, as much as it had been collapsing. Losing Deuce meant meeting Conor, trading a surrogate parent for a flesh-and-blood brother. Losing Willow meant meeting Catalyst, another strong-willed little girl who held so much promise and ambition in her gaze, how Coli used to. Trying to forget about her father had given her the chance to make amends to Cercelee. Things were not back to how they used to be - maybe they never could be - but the jagged edges of that sisterly relationship were beginning to soften and heal. Just like the seasons gave way to change, so had the events of her life, the shaky radius of trust that she had begun to extend to her packmates and relatives. It was a strange feeling... letting her guard down. She could attribute that mostly to Anu, she supposed; if not for the sandy-blond werewolf seeing past her defenses and creating a brand-new sort of bond, she would probably be the same closed-off loner she had been upon arriving here.

The werewolf was perched upon the creaky steps of the wooden porch, claws wrapped around a warm cup of tea. She blew the steam from the surface of the pale liquid, quietly lapping at the drink she had brewed. Her muzzle crinkled up - too bland, too watery. She just couldn't do it like Deuce had... if only she had paid closer attention when those deft white fingers loaded herbs into the battered little kettle. Picturing Deuce again made her bow her head sadly - it had been so nice, to pretend to have a mom. Something in her had always yearned for that feminine wisdom, especially after dealing with puberty completely by her lonesome. The clouds above were overcast, reflecting the dull mood of most of the pack. She hadn't felt like leaving the house, despite its imposing silence. She would like someone to talk to, though.

And as if answering her wish, she heard the deliberate strides of someone stepping up the path, aiming to pass her house by. She sipped quietly at her tea, ears falling back shyly. If it was a stranger, she might just wave, and let them go... They wouldn't want her miserable company. Her cream-furred tail curled self-consciously about her hips, blue eyes watching the crest of the hill for who was approaching.

[/html]
[html]
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a115/ ... gyrkin.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
I assumed there was probably a fire in the fireplace, if Coli had been making tea.
Words:522

The tall male crested the top of the hill and paused to survey the landscape below, plotting which direction he would take to search for some company. He didn't have to do much looking however as his gooseberry green gaze quickly arrived upon a nearby abode, with a faint wisp of smoke rising from the chimney, signaling that someone had taken up residence there, either that or the house was beginning to burn down. The former seemed far more likely however as he also observed a familiar form sitting on the porch of the structure, evidently looking towards the hill to see who was coming. Colibri Haki, the shy female he had met almost two weeks ago was sitting there, which meant that this must have been Deuce's house. He had remembered the white woman saying that she and Coli shared a home. This made him immediately wonder where the other female was. As he started down the hill, his long legs carrying him at a brisk pace down the decline, he arrived at the conclusion that surely the other woman was indoors tending to something. Perhaps they were cooking over the fire...or making tea. He remembered drinking tea with his mother when he had been younger. She had always said that the herbs in the tea would help him relax and focus on his work. However, making tea had never been a concept he had grasped in its entirety. The selection of the proper herbs as well as how long to let them boil in the water, it was all too involved. This might seem odd coming from a male whose life's pursuits were the complex arts of woodworking and carpentry, but it was true none the less.

He was now very near the home, and as he strode up the front drive, his timid nature caught hold of him for a moment. What would he say to her? How could he start a conversation? Surely he would make a fool of himself if he didn't say something soon. After all, wasn't it customary to greet an individual before approaching them? The male dwelt upon this last thought for a mere two seconds before agreeing with himself. "Hello there," he began, his tenor voice cracking nervously as he reached the half-way point in the small path, leading to the porch steps as he raised one of his hands in a friendly wave, "I've been meaning to find you, to talk to you about your greenhouse. However, that's not why I came here today," he stuttered the last sentence, quickly trying to recover his greeting, "I've been rather lonesome of late and figured I needed someone to talk to. I had hoped to find you...that is...I had hoped to ask you if you would like to chat?" By now he was only a few steps from the chocolate and cream female, a nervous grin on his face as he stood there, all 7'3" of his tall, muscular form. One might think it unsuitable for such an intimidating looking person to be so shy, but unfortunately that was just the way he was.

[/html]
[html]

WC: 300+
You are correct, sir! Smile

"Gawky" was the first word that came to mind as she blinked at the werewolf that came to loom over her. Had he gotten taller? Colibri couldn't keep the small - but warm - smile from her lips as she rose, genuinely happy to see him. She had meant to converse with him at the pack meeting they had mutually attended, but even though they drew close by the bonfire, both had their attentions diverted by other friends.

Shifting the clay teacup to one hand, she returned his shy wave, relief in her light blue eyes that it was her friend that came calling and not a stranger. "Hello, Rath," she said softly, inclining her head politely. "It's good to see you... and I have nothing going on, so I'd be happy to chat with you. Would you like to come inside?" She found that she did not stumble on her words nearly as much as she had the first time they met, and whether that was due to her familiarity with him and his own timid nature, or whether she was gradually becoming better at interacting, she was not certain.

She did not wait for an answer, but rather stepped lightly up to the door, holding it open for her friend. "You m-might have to duck your head," she added with a chuckle, dubiously eying the doorframe. Apparently werewolves grew taller than humans, because the repossessed dwelling had rather short ceilings. They would be sitting at the table, though, she wasn't about to make him hunch over for however long he wanted to visit.

The fire crackled low in the fireplace, eating up the last of its fuel. This was the first time Coli had lit it by herself, and while she liked that it added a little background noise and a friendly glow to the otherwise dim rooms, there was no real need for heat in the warm spring weather. She needed to save her limited wood supply for the harsh winter months, if this year was any indication. And she needed to get better at brewing tea, too. "I can offer you a drink," she began, staring sadly at the wan liquid in her cup, "but y-you might not like it very much..."

[/html]
[html]

Rath smiled when Coli consented to talking with him. He was glad for that. When she asked if he would like to come inside, he simply nodded in reply, although it quickly became apparent that she hadn't planned to wait for his answer anyway. As she led him inside, he found himself watching her walk through the door. She really was a beautiful woman. However, he was snapped out of his observant state of mind when the chocolate and cream femme warned him about the door. "Thanks for the warning. I appreciate it. I have to duck to get into my own house as well. Someday I'll probably raise the door frame a bit, so that I don't have to worry about it, but not anytime soon," he chuckled as he ducked beneath the door and entered into the home. It was quickly apparent to the observant male, that Deuce was nowhere in sight. In fact, her scent, though it did linger within the structure, seemed very faded as if she had not been within the confines of the home in awhile. He would have to ask Colibri about it later. If she was gone, he was willing to bet that the timid wolfess was upset about it to say the least.

When she brought up the subject of the beverage she had made, Rath offered an understanding smile, "If you're referring to some of that tea. I'd love some. Even if you say I wouldn't like it, I'd be willing to bet that it probably tests better than water from the stream. The creek near my house has been abnormally muddy lately," he shuddered and laughed when he remembered the first time he had gone to get a drink out of the murky stream. It had been clear up until just about a week ago and then it had gone all muddy. Rath just chalked it up to the strange going's on of mother nature, but that didn't make drinking the water any less unpleasant. The shaggy, reddish-brown male moved towards the fire, his gooseberry green eyes focusing on the dancing flames. Fire had always fascinated him. It was both beautiful and lethal, which intrigued him. However, he did not ponder his interest in the flames for long. "How have things been for you lately, Coli?" he inquired in a curious, but polite tone of voice. She seemed a bit more outgoing than when he had last met her. Had something happened that had helped her come out of her shell a bit more?

[/html]
[html]

WC: 400+

She pressed meekly against the door as Rath stooped by, chuckling about how every house was too short for him. He was very tall, even for an Optime. He made the room seem smaller with his looming presence, but she welcomed it. On her own, the house was desperately large and empty. His gooseberry green eyes flit about the room, taking in everything, and she swallowed with a sudden twinge of nerves. She wasn't the most skilled of housekeepers, and it was rather obvious that no one was helping her with the sweeping, the dishes she had dirtied, or even bringing in food, since she was a little more lean that usual.

She scurried about, fetching him another clay teacup from the collection Deuce had stocked her shelves with, retrieving the dented kettle from where it was nestled atop the fading coals, blowing the dust from the cup before pouring a trickle of the wan liquid into it. "I d-don't own honey or sugar," she warned him again, "and I'm not so much of an herb person, so I just guessed how much to put in, and apparently it w-wasn't enough." Just so that he was absolutely certain she wasn't just being modest, because she had good tea before, and this wasn't it. This probably did taste reminiscent of Rath's muddy streamwater. Except flavored with weak herbs, rather than dirt. She set the cup down with a clink on the table, watching him approach the flickering fire. The failing light seemed to bring his wavy fur to life, making the mottled russet hues glow, accenting the white flecks with gold. He had such complicated, handsome looks. He was lucky.

Still cradling the kettle in her claws, she took a deep steadying breath, trying to answer his weighted question as lightly as she could. "Things... have been up and down," she answered honestly, blue eyes distracted as she ran a finger over the thin film of dust on the table. "I don't suppose you ran into Deuce recently...?" There was little hope in her voice, but it hurt, it hurt that her new mother had not said goodbye. That her biological children meant more than the one she had adopted so late in life. If not for the saving graces of Anu, she would have fallen into a deeper depression than ever. And yet, Anu, the one she could not keep from her thoughts. It was all so confusing. She never expected to be like Jasper and Laurent, falling head-over-heels for someone of the same gender... How could she have ever seen it coming?

[/html]
[html]
sorry for the delay, I've been distracted lately
Words:400+

As the chocolate and cream wolfess flitted about, preparing the cup of tea she had offered him, Rath noted that she seemed nervous about something, especially when he had been looking around her house. It was a lovely home, far better kept than his. Thinking about his own home left the familiar, warm feeling of embarrassment lingering on his cheeks. His house had wood shavings and various other scraps from the few times he had done his work indoors, and the rooms that weren't covered in wood remnants were covered in dust. His entire house had the sort of, old building smell to it and he just hadn't gotten around to cleaning it yet.

When Colibri spoke again about how her tea wasn't that good, Rath simply smiled warmly, sauntering over to the table and taking the clay cup gently in his large hands. "I'm sure it's far better than anything I could have conjured up. Thank you Coli," Rath replied, blowing away the steam that rose from the cup before gingerly taking a sip of the hot liquid. Was it the best tea he had ever had? Certainly not! However, he couldn't help but enjoy the beverage. The faint taste of herbs was far better than murky, minerals of his stream water. "I like it. It seems like you made a good choice of which herbs to use, but you just didn't use enough. I'm sure you'll get it right next time," his tenor voice encouraged as he found his gooseberry hued gaze lingering on the sapphire gaze of the timid wolfess.

When the slender female brought up the subject of her white-furred companion, his white-tufted ears perked in surprise. She hadn't seen her recently? He certainly hadn't. "I'm afraid I haven't seen her since the pack's anniversary celebration. Come to think of it, I haven't seen anyone really, except that little pup Catalyst de Sadira. I've been a bit absorbed in my work lately. I only decided to take a break today to seek out some company. I count myself extremely fortunate that I found you..." He trailed off again when he realized that his old habit of rambling had just gotten him into trouble again. Well, it was a sort of trouble anyway. He hadn't wanted to tell her that he'd outright been looking for her. That might frighten her off and he'd never get the chance to talk with her. Oh, how he hoped she would just disregard his comment. He was glad he had found her, yes, and he didn't want their conversation to end before it had really begun.

[/html]
[html]

:-)
WC: 500

He moved nearer to take the warm cup into his large hands, his impressive height looming over her. She was not afraid of him, and not nearly as nervous as when they first met, but he still cut quite an intimidating figure. Those vivid green eyes held her gaze for a moment, before she let herself look away, uncomfortable as though he could see into her soul. What would his searching stare find there? Insecurities, loneliness, conflict? She liked his gentle friendship so far, but if she tried to open up, it would scare him off... Just like with Sankor, it was better for her to suffer on her own than to burden others with her stories and concerns. "You're welcome," she said softly, smiling half-heartedly as he tried to encourage her. "That's... nice of you to say." And it was nice, but she couldn't keep that pang of unhappiness from following, because she would probably never learn the right way to brew tea, not without Deuce's instruction...

Slowly she sank into one of the creaky chairs beside the table, listening attentively to Rath's ramblings. She liked that he talked a lot; she could focus on his stories, and not feel on the spot to produce her own. A small smile graced her delicate countenance as he mentioned a name familiar to her. "Catalyst? She visited me here, not two weeks ago. Stole one of my flowers, and then interrogated me all about how to grow more. She's sweet..." The wispy-white pup had been a welcome diversion, her bright and bold personality a splash of colour in an otherwise drab day. The feminine werewolf had a soft spot for children, and tried to indulge them every way she knew how. It had taught her a lot to live with Willow, but her little sister was gone too, all of her new family left for parts unknown. "Deuce left, then," she explained, her voice flat to try and hide the emotions behind it. There was nothing left to say, except that she had somehow inherited a house of her own, and didn't know how to run it.

"You've been working all this time?" she asked hesitantly, accepting the gentle subject change. She let her cheek rest in the hollow of her palm, elbow atop the table. Rath was such a diligent creature, always focused on his craft and his duties. That was the opposite of her. She couldn't think of one useful task she had performed since she had arrived here. She could easily take on a co-rank, but never decided what she was good at. She just lived in her own little world, gathering flowers and letting the days pass her by. "Is it... hard?" she added, tilting her head so that her feathered mane drifted from her face. If he had been working on the greenhouse this whole time, then she should feel very guilty indeed. He could have built many things for the pack, instead of starting with her...

[/html]
[html]
Sorry for the rambling. I've been doing a lot of writing lately and my brain is in a state of mild meltdown. XD

Words:514

As the chocolate, cream female commented on Catalyst, the tall male couldn't help but laugh and nod in agreement, taking a seat at the table, across from Colibri. "She is sweet. She found me when I was shaping some logs with my axe and asked me all sorts of questions about carpentry. It made me increasingly aware of how hard it is to explain woodworking and carpentry in terms that a pup understands. I think she may have grasped the basic concept of what I was telling her, but it was difficult to condense something so complex into simple terms," his tenor voice boomed in another, light-hearted laugh. "Pups are fascinating, and rather enjoyable to be around. That is for sure." He finished with that comment, not really intending for it to mean anything in the conversation. It was just a statement of his opinion, which he suspected the timid female might agree with.

He was not too surprised when Coli stated that Deuce had left. He was not sure why he was not surprised, but his intuition had told him that there had been a lot of difficult things going on in the white woman's life while she was in the pack. If she had been able to escape that, he was happy for her. However, the shaggy werewolf worried about Colibri. Would she be alright? She had obviously been very close to Deuce, and being separated from her might have an ill-effect on her. "I'm sorry to hear that. Are you alright?" he questioned, his voice carrying a tone of genuine concern for the slender wolfess. If there was anything he could do to help, he would do so readily.

The conversation took yet another turn when Colibri asked him how long he had been working. The male blushed, embarrassed by the fact that he indeed had been working the entire time since he had last seen her. He wanted to get her greenhouse done so badly that he had lost touch with reality for awhile. He wanted to see her smile when he finished it. She had such a pretty smile. However, he didn't want her to think that he had been solely focused on her project. He might frighten her off by appearing obsessed, which he wasn't. He just wanted to be her friend. He did find her attractive, and he thought about her a lot. That wasn't an obsession was it? "Y-yes, I have been working a lot lately. Not constantly, mind you, I just want to finish your greenhouse for you. It's not too hard. I'm almost done shaping the wood for the framework, and I've collected quite a few panes of glass from the windows of rundown buildings. I should be able to start construction fairly soon," The male hoped to divert her attention from his constant work by exciting her about her greenhouse. That would take the focus off of him, for the most part, which would keep him from getting nervous and blurting out something he didn't want to reveal. Yes, this seemed like a good plan.

[/html]
[html]

There, my last post. ^^; I rambled more! Sorry to have to end it - we'll have another for sure!
WC: 500+

His piercing green eyes caught her again, pinning her to the chair she sat upon. "I'm alright," she answered automatically, before her mind could catch up to her and admit that she was not. She did not have a lot of wolves to talk to, and it was devastating to lose the only reliable one she had. Living alone in the house brought back terrible memories of the last time she was alone, healing from wounds that had haunted her since - but still, she was older now, she had some small vestiges of hope now, and the safety net of the pack was a constant relief. "I'll be alright," she corrected, smiling crookedly. He didn't need to worry. She was struggling, but everyone did... she didn't expect to go under this time.

Rath blushed beneath his dark fur, and Coli blinked in surprise, stifling a giggle. He was too big to be so shy! And yet, somehow he managed to be just as timid as she. To mask his embarrassment, the carpenter quickly rattled off the technical aspects of his work, and the unfamiliar jargon went unfortunately over her head. Forget "terms a puppy could understand" - she needed terms she could understand. She nodded appreciatively, expression blank as she tried to figure out what he meant. "Framework" was the shape, right? And windows were made of glass, so "panes" must be pieces... He had gathered all the pieces? A sudden twinge in her stomach made her bite her lip, guilt rising behind her eyes. She had been seriously toying with the idea of Crimson Dreams... of going to Anu, abandoning her dear Cercelee and everyone else here. What if Rath finished building the greenhouse for her right as she was leaving? How would he feel when she flippantly announced that all of his work was for naught? She should tell him to give it up right now, to spare him later... but... her nerve failed her. She was still undecided about moving, because her loyalties were torn. She could not commit to either vague plan so soon...

They talked for quite some time, sipping the weak tea until the kettle was empty, and even the last lingering embers in the fireplace finally went dark and cold. It was something both of them had needed, to simply relax in someone else's company, to speak without fear of rebuke or ridicule, to enjoy a simple friendship. Colibri felt something unspoken niggling at the corner of her mind, something that warned her perhaps the friendship was not so simple as she first assumed, but... she pushed it aside. Surely if Henratha wanted more than just a friendship, he would act differently, would he not? And besides, what man had ever been interested in her that way? She ignored the subtle portent from her intuition, although she also chose to omit that "her friend Anu" was actually her first crush. It did not seem an appropriate topic. Other than that moment of hesitation, the visit had done her good. Talking to Rath took the edge off of Deuce's exodus, and his rare smiles brought joy to the sad home. When the sun set and the carpenter reluctantly took his leave, she sat on the porch to watch him go, until she could see him no longer.

[/html]