tell me teacher, what's my lesson? [aw!]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/ ... tablep.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat; width:409px; border:1px #258BA4 solid; font-size: 10px;">

ooc -

8 months old, she may as well figure it out. ^^ Someone kick me if I did this wrong. >_>; Open to any, but only one or two (mayyyybe three) others, please! Set in the vineyard. 525 words.

ic -

By gods, there was something terribly, terribly wrong with her body. It just wasn’t shaped right anymore! Princess had woken up and wandered around the pack lands, realizing (from her own thoughts) that most members of the pack, including her own mother, could shift into another form, and subconsciously, Princess knew that she could, too. She had decided to try it out, and now, she was at a loss as to what to do with herself. Darkness had fallen, and she feared she was now stuck like this. It had taken a few hours to find herself in the shape everyone else could take, and once it had happened and she had admired her new long, curling, golden mane, Princess had begun to wonder about everything else.

Now that she knew she could do this shifting business, was she supposed to do it all the time? Despite it being her first time, she did feel almost comfortable in this form. What was it like to live like this all of the time, with elongated toes on her newly-shaped hands, and walking on only two legs? Princess was panning on finding Tokyo to ask her, but didn’t want to embarrass herself in front of her mother. It would be better for her to find someone else to ask, like Alexey or Cmwfen. Both women had been kind to her and helped her, and Princess thought she might be able to muster up the courage to ask either of them.

Halfway through the day, she had remembered something she had seen when she had wandered off into Halifax. There had been a small box with a white and black faded note taped to it, and inside, after prying the box open, she had found a dress. She had seen one in a book before, and she thought this one was pretty; the material was white, with red polka dots on it. There was no guarantee that she had put the dress on correctly, and in fact, it was hardly comfortable the way it sat on her. Unbeknownst to her, it sat backwards and inside-out. Regardless of how uncomfortable she was finding the dress, it made her feel pretty, so she was keeping it on unless someone forced her to take it off.

Now that night was falling, however, Princess was beginning to feel less and less pretty and special, and more confused and nervous. She had spent all day, after returning from Halifax with her dress, underneath this particular vine in the vineyard. She wasn’t sure why she had come here, as Cmwfen had mentioned Tokyo seemed to frequent the vineyard, and Princess had not been near the den today in hopes of avoiding her mother. She didn’t want to disappoint her mother with a daughter who was nervous and confused about shifting, but perhaps by coming to the vineyard, her mind was trying to tell her to find Tokyo and ask her the questions she had. It would have been less embarrassing, she rationalized, had her mother been there for her whole life, to teach her things early. Instead, she was left to her own devices.

[/html]
[html]
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa22 ... table7.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
Thought she'd appreciate a girl showing up. =)
WC: 300+

It was evening, the sun was setting quickly, too quickly, and Colibri did not want to be trapped in the vineyard once night fell. It was nothing superstitious, but rather a nasty memory of the first time she had been there, and the reason she had not returned since. The willowy werewolf scurried between the rows of overgrown tendrils, their wide leaves brushing her face as she swept by them. She had been attacked here, and it soured her stomach to remember the chilling encounter, lit beneath the silvery moonlight. But there had been snow on the ground back then. Times were different now. He never returned to the scene of a crime he'd committed, unless it was to view his handiwork with pride.

The swift Optime slowed her darting pace, forcing herself back to a respectable walk, to slow her racing heartbeat. She was in no danger; this was the heart of their pack lands, and the Rosea's church spires were even in sight from here. She glanced down at the cargo she had been cradling in her arms - several bruised-looking flowers, stems and roots intact. She hadn't meant to jostle them so much, since they were for her garden, after all... Her sky-blue eyes filled with disappointment as she stopped walking, her deft claws inspecting the leaves of the lilies she had "liberated" from near their borders. They would probably recover, if she planted them tonight. And then her soft eyes caught the flutter of movement nearby, beneath the canopy of vines.

There was a little werewolf under there! Smiling gently, the shy girl set her plants down on the grass, before smoothing her silken-brown mane. Might as well look like a respectable adult, even if she didn't feel like one.
"Hello there... I'm Colibri, or Coli! I don't think we've met...?" She settled into a crouch next to the youth, marveling at the cute little dress with the faded spots that seemed to suit her so well. Coli had never worn clothes before, but every once in a while she came across someone that pulled it off well (even if it happened to be inside-out and backwards). The young girl with the pretty golden mane looked upset or confused about something, and concern coloured her expression, wanting to help.

[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/ ... tablep.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat; width:409px; border:1px #258BA4 solid; font-size: 10px;">

ooc -

Thank you. =D And I have to say, every thread I read proves it, but Coli is adorable. x3 436 words.

ic -

Blinking, Princess tried to still her shivering (from nerves, of course) as she watched the older female’s feet. They were strange, shaped like hers were at the moment, and that fact drew the young girl’s eyes up the rest of the stranger’s body, noting that it was very similar to hers at the moment. That reassured her some, making her realize that she wasn’t shaped strangely, but actually correctly. She smiled timidly, though the smile wavered as the adult spoke. Colibri was pretty, and her eyes were striking; Princess automatically thought of her mother’s blue eyes, but fortunately, these eyes did not hold the same look Tokyo’s did. Princess didn’t feel like she should be wary of what she said, and she wasn’t afraid of Colibri turning against her. The woman seemed worried about something, but she seemed friendly enough, regardless. The thought never crossed the girl’s mind that Colibri might be worried about her, the one hiding under a vine in a dark vineyard.

“I’m Princess Chance. . . Or Princess, really. Nice to meet you, Coli,” she sniffed, brushing at her cheeks with her strange paws. She took a moment to look at what the woman had placed on the ground, but she found herself confused. Normally when people picked flowers, they only took the pretty part. That was certainly how she did it, anyway. When picking flowers, who wanted those stringy, dangly parts? They didn’t add to the appeal of the flowers, but it didn’t seem like Colibri was all that concerned with how the flowers themselves looked. Princess didn’t understand why she was carrying damaged flowers with the roots attached, but then, there were lots of things that she didn’t understand at the moment. For example, she had shifted and thought she felt weird, but she also felt strangely comfortable in this skin. She noted that Colibri seemed comfortable as well, but she didn’t have clothes. Were they supposed to wear them here, or was it an option?

Shifting her body out of the huddled position she had been in Princess sat up, looking at the older woman earnestly. “How come you picked flowers with all the stringy parts still on them? Doesn’t that make them less pretty?” She neglected to question the bruises on the flowers, just in case Colibri hadn’t yet noticed the damage done to the flowers. Or perhaps she had picked them because they were not perfect. The logic behind such an idea was lost on Princess, but she had seen adults do stranger things in her lifetime, so she wasn’t particularly keen on completely overruling the idea.

[/html]
[html]
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa22 ... table7.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
Really? Aww, thanks! ^///^ Princess is super-cute, too!

Colibri smiled shyly, meeting the youth's timid gold and blue-flecked eyes. "It's nice to meet you too, Princess. And what a pretty name!" She let her crouch sink into a comfortable kneel, curling her cream-tipped tail around her footpaws. Coli didn't recall anyone else with the "Chance" surname in the pack, so she assumed that Princess had come here by herself (which wasn't completely incorrect). She had such natural beauty, though, Coli was certain that she would grow up to be stunning. Guessing - or hoping - that if the two of them could relax that the nervous adolescent would explain what was bothering her, the older werewolf waited patiently for her to sit up and speak, which she did promptly.

"Oh! W-well, I want them to live," she explained, brushing her feathery bangs from her eyes. Her mane was so long and straight, but she had never tried tying it back as Henratha did his, or braiding it to keep it from her face. She had just grown used to it being in the way. Her blue gaze flicked back to the flowers she had set down beside her, realizing she might need to explain how a plant works, if the girl didn't know the name of the "stringy parts". "Y-you see, when you pick a flower by snapping the stem, it will be pretty for a little while and then wither away... but if y-you leave it in the ground, it will be pretty for as long as it lives. So I wanted these to grow by my house... so I brought every bit of them, so that I can put them back in the ground when I get there."

That was simple enough, wasn't it? She couldn't help but feel nervous when she explained things to children, even harmless things like this, because what if she bored them, or if her interference upset their parents? She had met several children in the last week, and while she loved their enthusiasm and innocence, she still worried that she was somehow leading them astray. Princess wasn't so young, though - if she was old enough to shift, then she was most of the way to becoming an adult, even though it would probably take her some time to feel comfortable with that. Was that what was bothering her tonight...?

[/html]
[html]

ooc -

503 words.

ic -

She shrugged slightly, shoulders falling with little excitement, unsure of what to say to that. Her name was very pretty, and on any other day, Princess would have been all over Colibri, proudly proclaiming that she knew just how absolutely magnificent her own name was. To be completely open, she knew she had a very good name. Her mother could have hated her, too, and she could have been named Buttface. How absurd would that have been? A beautiful and special girl like her being named Buttface instead of her brother, who Tokyo insisted deserved her mistreatment. On a normal day for Princess, Colibri would have gotten an earful about how right she was, but she would have also been told she was only right because she was complimenting the Princess Chance. However, instead of such arrogant words becoming known to the woman, all Princess said was, “Thanks. It’s ‘cause I looked like my grandmother, Ophelia. Your name is pretty, too.”

Her interested was piqued at the explanation. “You have a flower patch?” she inquired, wondering if it might be open to exploration, and also considering how she might have missed it within the pack lands, unless it was hidden away somewhere so that only Colibri could visit it. Princess hoped that wasn’t the case, but she supposed she would have understood if Coli did not want everyone trampling over her pretty flowers. “I always liked flowers, especially when they were in patches, but I never got to have one. I never had enough time to try and have one. How many do you have?” Unfortunately, she had never spent enough time in one place to have one. Her first couple of months were spent in one place, yes, but she had been too young to try and grow flowers. After running from Tokyo, she had kept on the move until finally settling in Dahlia de Mai.

Gazing up at Colibri, Princess couldn’t help but wonder how old she was. She was an adult, and could shift comfortably and easily (or so it seemed). Was she reliable to answer questions about shifting? Princess had never been exposed to it openly by Tokyo, so she had to assume that that was the reason she did not feel comfortable seeking out her mother for answers. “Can I ask you about something? I don’t know who else to ask, ‘cause I don’t want to disappoint my mother,” she explained, just in case Colibri was going to ask about that. It was also meant to be a small guilt trip. Surely Colibri wouldn’t say no to someone who didn’t want to disappoint their mother, Princess had decided. “This is the first time I shifted. . . How come it seems so weird? And what happened to my paws?” She held up her hands for example and explanation. She prayed that Colibri would not find her questions dumb, and she hoped to receive a reassuring answer like, “It doesn’t always feel weird,” or “Don’t worry, there’s nothing wrong.”

[/html]
[html]
WC: 465

"I was named after my grandmother," she admitted in response, vaguely amused by the parallelism. She had never met Colibri Soul, and assumed (rightly so) that they did not look very much alike, but she had been given the name anyway. It was almost the opposite for little Princess, but she did look lovely, and if she were to claim actual royalty, Coli probably wouldn't dispute it. She looked like a princess. In her humble opinion, at least.

"I have a lot of flowers in my garden," she replied, a touch of pride creeping into her tone. "If it wasn't getting so dark out, I'd be happy to show you. Maybe another day...?" And she meant it; since Anu had shown such great enthusiasm about the meticulous care Coli had shown her diverse flower patch, she had been looking for excuses to show it to others. It was safely enclosed behind the white picket fence, so no deer or rabbits could scarper off with her blossoms, but curious werewolves would need permission to unlock the creaking gate and see. If Princess did visit the homely cabin on the outskirts of Wolfville, Coli would be happy to give her a tour, and possibly a few plants to take home on her own. Gardening was an addictive hobby for a girl living by herself.

As predicted, the youth relaxed slightly after the opening conversation, and hesitantly bridged the gap to what was bothering her. Colibri caught her breath, surprise registering in her wide blue eyes. Her first shift? She, Coli, got to be the first one to explain about growing up? What an amazing responsibility! The kindly smile was quick to resurface on her countenance, as her champagne-hued tail swished with excitement. She had always daydreamed about having a little daughter, and being the positive role model that she'd always wanted, and being there to explain all of the things that she'd had to learn all by herself. It was a silly fantasy, because the odds were against her ever starting a family at this rate, but she didn't want to give it up. When Princess held up her hands, gazing at them with dubious wonderment, Coli gently took them within her own, wrapping her fingers in a delicate earthy-smelling grip. "You did it perfectly," she said, squeezing her hands reassuringly. "These paws are the reason why we Luperci shift - there's a whole new world open to you now. You can learn how to draw, or play an instrument, or make your own clothes, or tend to your own flower patch," she continued gently, a happy energy bolstering her words. There was so much potential, when one described it like that. Princess's mother wouldn't be disappointed that this moment was shared with a stranger, would she...?

[/html]
[html]

ooc -

512 words.

ic -

“Well,” she began, her tone firm, very matter-of-fact, “Your grandmother also had a very pretty name, then.” That was obvious, since the name was the same, but Princess wasn’t against flattery, particularly if there was any chance that Coli had been close to her grandmother. The girl did not know that they had never met, but the idea was there. She wished she had met her own grandmother, as Tokyo had seemed to like her very much. Princess had decided, long ago, that Ophelia must have been a wonderful woman. She wished she had some stories to tell Colibri about her grandmother, but having never met her, there was nothing. . . And she didn’t even have many good stories to tell that she might have heard from her mother, since Tokyo didn’t speak of her very much. Maybe there just weren’t any good stories to tell, Princess decided. What she didn‘t know was that Ophelia had basically disowned Tokyo, but that wasn‘t important. In the young girl‘s eyes, her grandmother must have been spectacular.

Nodding earnestly, Princess was excited at the prospect. She didn’t know if she could ever have a flower patch of her own, because she didn’t know how well she would adapt to taking care of something (or someone) else, but she was excited to be able to see Colibri’s flower patch, since the woman seemed excited about it. “Of course I want to see it! But, you’re right, it probably won’t do much to go in the dark. . . But I do want to see it sometime,” she repeated, confirming what had been said. Even if she had to track down Colibri in the future and beg her to show her, Princess was determined to see the flower patch that was obviously tended to with delicate care. Colibri seemed to love doing it, so Princess could only assume that she took very good care of her flowers.

As Colibri’s strange paws wrapped around her own, Princess felt herself soften. She had never really gotten a sincere touch like this from her mother, that she could remember. . . It had always seemed showy. When Coli touched her, Princess felt like she really had done something right. Or, as Coli had put it, perfectly. Well, of course I did it perfectly, she thought. I always do things best. She was glad to know that she had done it properly, and that these strange paws would be good for something. She didn’t know what she would do with them, but she would probably find something to do with them, as Colibri had given a decently-sized list. “Was your first shift scary, or did you have someone to teach you?” Princess had been too afraid to ask Tokyo prior to today, and when she realized it had happened, she hadn’t wanted to see her mother. It was a sad feeling that she didn’t wish on anyone, although she was a little jealous of the idea that Colibri might have had someone to explain it to her while it happened.

[/html]
[html]

She found herself giggling at Princess's informative tone, amused by her unflagging confidence. It was like she knew everything, an arrogance that only youth could subscribe to. She didn't have any stories about her grand-dam either; perhaps wolves just didn't last long enough to meet their grandchildren. Little did she know Colibri Soul was alive, well, and had birthed another litter.

Princess did not flinch or pull away when their hands touched, and Coli felt that rare flicker of warmth from when she did something right. She almost never got it right. "Oh... It was a little scary, but I knew what was supposed to happen," she explained, still smiling helplessly. She hoped that in the fast-fading light, she did not look too foolish, relishing in her temporary maternal role. "No one taught me, though. I was alone all day, and when I finished, I came running home to my father. He wasn't nearly as excited as I was, though." She sighed, shaking her head. She had been thrilled to complete the shift, to be seen as an adult. It was just another reason for them to argue, though, and it had led to the worst fight of her life, the reason Haku had left her for good. He had never been very supportive, she supposed, and it was the reason she struggled to please those around her now.

A sudden realization - was Princess really afraid that her mother would be disappointed in her for growing up? - made her squeeze her fingers again, blue eyes shining earnest. "If... your mom isn't happy... You can always stay with me for a little while," she said hesitantly, ears falling back with apprehension. If she had misunderstood, she would be ready to apologize. Just... if there was even a possibility that the Chance girl's mother was abusive... better for her to have a place to go than to come hiding in a vineyard at night...

[/html]
[html]

ooc -

338 words.

ic -

Her interest piqued at the mention of Colibri’s father. What was he like, to not be excited about his daughter’s first shift? “Is your father around here anywhere? I never got to meet my father. What’s your father like? Do you like him?” Pausing for a moment, Princess considered her own father. Raphael must not have been a very good wolf, since he practically forced Tokyo to mate with him, and obviously, that had messed up her mother’s life forever. He also didn’t seem to have any interest in his children, since he had never come looking for them. Princess knew what he looked like, for the most part, since Tokyo had always insisted that Buttface looked like Raphael, so he deserved to be treated badly. For a fleeting moment, the girl wondered what her life would have been like if Raphael had decided to stay with Tokyo, even if they weren’t together, if only for their illegitimately conceived children. Would it have been better that way, even if both adults had been unhappy?

Her eyes brightened at the suggestion, mouth fumbling over the words. “You mean. . . Like a sleep over?” Princess had never been to a sleep over! Her eyes were bright, shining with eagerness. She certainly couldn’t leave her mother permanently, but if she had somewhere else to go, then that would be very nice. It would almost be like a safe haven of sorts, and if she could have a friend like Colibri, then it would be all the better. She didn’t really have all that many friends, and never did, even before coming to Dahlia. Alexey and Cmwfen were nice and all, but they weren’t really her friends. Catalyst was kind of like her friend, but Princess couldn’t be certain of that. When they had met, they had bickered back and forth for a while. However, she had trusted Catalyst with an important secret. That made them friends, in her eyes. Looking back up at Colibri, she smiled hopefully. It wasn’t that she didn’t love her mother, it was just that she wouldn’t mind having somewhere else to go occasionally.

[/html]
[html]
My last post! Sorry to end this quickly, but you're welcome to a follow-up next month. Smile
WC:500+

Another flood of questions rushed from the bubbly girl's lips, but this time, her enthusiasm was less welcome. Coli's ears tipped back uncomfortably, warm blue eyes darkening like a shadow cast over ice. "My father... is a leader here. You're sure to meet him," she answered stiffly, choosing not to offer a name. The resemblance between them was keen, although she chose to walk on two legs as much as possible, whereas he preferred four. If the young girl never met her father - that was alright, she had never met her mother - perhaps she wouldn't understand the weight to such a question. Their family dynamic was nothing normal, though. "We don't talk anymore." Did she like him? No, no, certainly not - but in the same breath, it was hard to say she hated him... Her feelings had become so conflicted as of late, trying to work out what he was to her. He was the source of all of her conflict, that much was apparent.

Princess's bright eyes gleamed in the dark, reminding Coli how quickly night had fallen around them. The overgrown vineyard was a mass of shadowy shapes, dancing beneath the pale light cast from the stars. The sky was so clear here, she could have counted every constellation; but she was not a creature of the night, unlike her sire. Darkness chilled her, made her yearn for the safety and warmth of the sun. Flowers closed at night, and so did she. The sleek werewolf cast a paranoid glance over her shoulder, wide eyes darting across the tenebrous landscape. It had been night when she was attacked here, knocked to the ground from behind. "A... sleep-over, yes," she agreed distractedly. Both of them should be safe here, but it was hard not to be nervous in such a setting. "Any time you want, because I have a big house all to myself, okay? Here," she continued in a softer tone, letting her hands fall back to their sides.

The half-forgotten lily plants were scooped up delicately, their white petals washed pale in the desaturated light. "It's getting dark, so you should really hurry home. Let your mom see how pretty you look like this. I'm sure she'll be proud of you." Coli smiled sadly, hoping it was true. The youth's shining golden mane and colourful eyes were lovely, and the small dress she was sporting completed her innocent and adorable appearance. No one could be disappointed to have a daughter so perfect. The shy adult pressed one of the lilies into Princess's newly-changed hands, closing her fingers around the springy flowerstem. "You can have this! The first flower for your own patch. Dig a hole to bury the stringy parts, and then make sure it gets watered." She had given a plant to Anu, with a promise that she would return to see it again. Perhaps this could work the same way, she reasoned, smiling indulgently. Perhaps the promising youth would take a shine to her offer, and visit her as promised. She hoped so. "Now take care, all right, Princess? It was lovely meeting you, and I hope to see you again soon." Colibri rose gracefully to her footpaws, brushing mud from her furry knees. She was happy to have met the young girl. She had been a small ray of happiness in an otherwise dull day.

[/html]