because I have been through hell
[html]
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee19 ... ace_04.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

His lover was sleeping so the man had taken the opportunity to get some fresh air. As always when he left the apartment he locked the deadbolt and placed the key in the pocket of his trench coat. He didn't plan on being gone long or going far from the building, but he was taking no chances. Not with her safety. Not after everything she had been through and was still struggling with. When she was awake he hardly left her side, only if it were necessary. The coyote had been hunting a lot lately, making sure that she was well fed and nourished. The thought that he was also feeding some spawn of the crow wolf inside her left a sour taste in his mouth, but he tried to push it away. Maybe it would turn out like her and not like that demon.

Onus' feet brought him to one of the lakes that lay in the middle of the city. Hidden eyes caught the glimmer of movement in the water. Fish, he thought. All he had been catching for food lately had been rabbits and squirrels. Mixing up the menu might be a good way to lift both of their spirits, at least a little. He removed his coat and hat and set them near the edge of the water. Then he began to wade into the water. It was cool and refreshing against his skin and fur. He had fished this way a couple years ago when he had stayed in a city that had a river flow just outside it. Hopefully he would still be able to pull it off.

The male stood still in the midsts of the water, allowing the fish to get used to his presence. Shrouded gaze watched their silvery bodies closely as they same near him. Clawed fingers flexed themselves as he watched his prey. A few more minutes, then he would be ready. The coyote looked like a statue made of stone and then struck suddenly like a cobra. His hand shot into the water and he felt his claws close around a wriggling scaly form. He plucked the fish from the water and used his teeth to break its neck and end the creature's suffering. A few more and he would have a nice dinner for him and his love.

[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ ... leboat.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Only days had passed since he had joined the Cour des Miracles, but already Vigilante found himself straying from the pack lands. The call of running water had drawn him to the river, but when he arrived, there was already a man standing in the center, a fish in his hands. There was clothing next to the river, so the malamute-mixed man could only assume that this one was someone who preferred to wear clothing. He also wore a cloth over his eyes, which he hadn't taken off to fish, apparently. It was a strange sight, but Vigilante thought clothes were constricting and unnecessary, so he thought all clothing seemed strange. The cloth was probably a part of this man's culture, and Vigilante just wasn't accustomed to it.

"And how are the fish today?" he called, his voice hushed so as to not carry too deeply into the water and scare away the fishing man's prey. He had never been much if a fisherman himself, but he had enjoyed a few fish in the past. Perhaps he could learn how to fish properly, now that he was trying to build himself a normal life. He knew how to hunt well enough, but living near water would mean that fishing would be a part of his new and normal life as well. If he could learn to fish well, he could even show off a little for his future mate; and he would hate a mate in the future. That was normal, and now, he was normal. It had become an obsession for him. Be normal. Be normal.

[/html]
[html]
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee19 ... ace_04.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Onus had been so concentrated on fishing that he hadn't heard the approach of the other male. Being so unaware of the approach of another was very unlike the coyote and when he looked up towards the voice that had called after him he mentally kicked himself. While this hybrid certainly didn't look like a threat, a threat could have just as easily snuck up on him just now. And what would Cwmfen do if something happened to him? Dammit Onus, pull it together, he growled at himself. Then his focus turned back to the doggish male. It seemed like a strange question to initiate conversation with. "Alright," the rough monotone responded. What the hell was he supposed to say to that?

Turning he waded back to the shore to place his first catch on the ground. He should have brought some old papers or something to put them in, he certainly didn't want to put them in his coat and have it reek of fish. Oh well, he would just have to make due. Feet carried him back out into the water, a little to the side of the last place he had settled to fish at. The bandages around the arm that had reached into the water to grab the fish were soaked through with water and the red claw marks on that forearm were now easily visible. The man said nothing else to the other canine, his social ineptitude shining out.

[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ ... leboat.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

ooc -

WotD: Sough

-A soft, low rustling or sighing sound

ic -

Evidently, the other man was not feeling talkative. Vigilante supposed it was understandable, as he normally wasn't one for chatting, but he was trying harder now to be vocal and to make friends - or, at the very least, acquaintances. As he shifted his weight, his lengthy and thick fur soughed from the movements. His eyes settled on the soaked cloth on the man's arm. Raising his eyebrows, Vigilante looked at the red marks. His eyes once again settled on the man's face, but it wasn't a secret that he had looked at the wounds. He saw no need to be sneaky when he was just curious.

The mixed man felt awkward just standing there while the other fished, but what was he meant to do? There was nothing to say in response to "Alright," so continuing that conversation was basically out of the question. A sigh escaped his ebony lips as he shrugged, taking stock of his options. He could stay where he was and try to spark some interesting conversation with the masked man, or he could just shake off the awkward moment and leave the man to his fishing. "I can leave you alone to fish," he offered, deciding to let the man decide for him. "I'm Vigilante," he offered. Perhaps introducing himself would spark something. Anything would be more interesting than watching him fish silently.

[/html]
[html]

This appeared it was becoming one of his most awkward social interactions yet, which for the coyote, was saying something. Was this male really as inept at this sort of thing as he was? If that were the case then they both might as well stop while they were ahead. Though he had done nothing unpleasant. Nothing to annoy the masked man. Nothing to warrant asking him to leave. So what was there to do. Cloaked eyes stared down at the moving forms of the fish, trying to ignore the situation. Maybe if he was silent and kept to his task then the other would just lose interest and leave. Perhaps that would be for the best.

His hand shot back into the water, once again grasping a scaled, slim body. He plucked the fish up and held it in his claws as the other said that he could leave Onus to his task. But as the other introduced himself the hidden gaze shot to that hybrid, confused. The fish continued to wriggle, the coyote too distracted to end its struggle quickly as he had the last time. "Is that your name," he asked. "Or your profession?" This doggish man certainly didn't seem the type to live the kind of life that he lead, but why else be named such? It wasn't exactly a lifestyle that many looked on with kind eyes.

[/html]
[html]

He supposed he should have expected a similar reaction, although most chose not to question it. "Both," he admitted, keeping his eyes off of the man in the water. It was not something he enjoyed telling people, because he did not want to relive that period of his life. "Former profession, I should say, until it came to someone I'll hate myself forever for," Vigilante corrected himself. It was not a story he wanted to share with anyone, but it was the reason he no longer kept up with his profession. He was looking for something new; Cour des Miracles had a Huntsman co-rank, and he was hoping to eventually work his way up to that. His former profession did make him an excellent hunter.

Settling his gaze on the man fishing once more, for moments had passed of silence in which he decided that he did not have to avert his gaze any longer, Vigilante studied him curiously once more. It was strange that he had actually said something, because Vigilante never really found himself explaining the situation. Most did not want to ask, either out of fear or uncertainty. "Why?" He hoped that fact did not affect this meeting, however awkward the meeting was. Being new to this area in general, and not just his pack, Vigilante wanted to make acquaintances and friends here. He hoped that the man would not find his former profession to be a reason to leave immediately, or do something worse that the mixed male did not want to think about.

[/html]
[html]

Hm. So this doggish hybrid was indeed one of his kind. They were an incredibly rare breed. The only other he had ever met was that young coyote when he had first came to these lands. The youth had been more like him than this male though. Though still not completely like him. Not so devout. As far as Onus knew, he was the head priest to the cause of justice and had barely met any acolytes, much less another priest. Though at the statement it was his former profession once again he was somewhat disappointed. Though he did understand. Such a life was not an easy one. Satisfied with the answers his mind returned to the struggling fish in his hand and he broke its spine, ending its struggle. "Hrm," that rough monotone responded. "Seems we have something in common. Or had." That hidden gaze settled on the curly tailed creature.

The coyote stood there in the water for a few moments more before turning back to shore to deposit his latest catch. He supposed he could stop for now and converse with this male. Having been a vigilante Onus found him immensely more interesting than most he came across. Setting the fish down he turned back to the other wiping his hands off against one another. "What caused you to choose that path? For at least as long as you did it." There was no mocking in his tone, no judgment. There was, in fact, nothing. So there would be no reason for Vigilante to take offense. It was strange, referring to anyone else with that word, even if it were their name. Why had he chosen to be so very unsubtle about it? Subtlety was a tool that their type had to utilize as often as they could. Or at least that's how he thought.

[/html]
[html]

Arching his eyebrows, Vigilante gave the male another once over. He had never met another with such a profession before, and had considered himself a sort of rarity. "Seems so," he responded, still looking over the man in the water. It was strange to see someone who still had the profession acting so normally - fishing and talking, however awkward the situation had started out. Did the man have someone to fish for? Vigilante supposed that he must, or he would have stopped after one fish, maybe two. The man didn't seem like one who ate his weight in food every time he fed, as Vigilante knew all too well. Too much food meant extra weight and the lack of stealth, and anmyone with such a plan for life could not be subjected to any flaws in the physical.

"I didn't actually choose it," he admitted, unsure of how the man would take the admission. He would likely think poorly of it, Vigilante guessed, as he would have thought the same, if the situation was reversed. Why do something you didn't choose to do? That displayed weakness. "Rather, I should say, it was chosen for me by crazy elders with crazy legends that changed with every litter of pups born in my pack. Because of my nose, I was determined to become a vigilante, and was named as such." It was a terrible explanation, but it was the only one he could think of, and he chose to leave out any mention of his sister, her chosen name and path in life, and anything along those lines. "And why do you do it? Did you choose such a life?" If so. . . Why?

[/html]
[html]

Well, this certainly explained why the beginning of this encounter had started out so awkwardly. Onus was usually awkward in these sorts of situations. He didn't feel a need to converse with someone unless he thought they had information he could use. In fact engaging in conversation without reason he usual viewed as a waste of time. If he got bored with someone he most often just walked away. The coyote was good at what he did, but as far as social skills went he was greatly lacking. It must be the same case for this man. Social skills were fairly unnecessary for the lives they led so such things were never developed. Things like stealth, strength, endurance, and being at least to some degree emotionally numb, those were the things men like them needed.

Onus was quite surprised at the answer he received. He hadn't chosen this life? Others had forced him into it? Well, no wonder it hadn't worked out. Living the life of a vigilante wasn't something you could force someone into, at least not forever. It was something one needed to chose to do, devote themselves wholly to. Otherwise it would never work out. Not really. "Sounds like your elders didn't understand this way of life. Forcing you into it. Such a thing could never last." Then of course his question was turned on him and it was his turn to answer. Almost imperceptibly the male nodded his head. "Yes. I chose to live this way. Have devoted self to this cause for years. It is my life." It was really just as simple as that. He supposed if Vigilante questioned him further about it he would be willing to go a little deeper into it, but not a great deal deeper.

[/html]
[html]

The man was very right; the elders had not understood much. Vigilante had attributed it to them being completely crazy, but maybe they had just been confused. "I think," he mused, his tone a matter-of-fact one. "I think. . . They were just looking for safety. Or an answer to all of the problems surrounding them." There had been too much crime among the uncivilized packs in the area, a mixture of wolf packs, coyote clans, and groups of dogs and mutts all arguing amongst themselves and each other. The elders of his pack had been on the right track in thinking that justice needed to be available, but they had gone about it in such a terribly wrong way, and the results had not been what the elders had been hoping for.

"Why would you choose it, though? Why not just let things. . . Happen?" Vigilante did not believe in such a thing as karma, but he did feel, now that he had ceased his life as a vigilante and was attempting a normal life, that things should be left to fall as they will. "I used to think it was necessary to live that life, and make it my entire life, but I'm curious as to why you do." He hadn't actually chosen to make it his whole life, but inadvertently, it had. His only contact had been with his immediate family. He had never found a mate, or made friends; his life was devoted entirely to serving justice to those that he was taught deserved it.

[/html]
[html]

These elders Vigilante spoke of certainly were mixed up. Trying to harness a vigilante to work for them and them alone? Why, that went against everything that they were meant to do. They weren't supposed to have any loyalties to any one group. They were supposed to be devoted to the cause of justice, striking at criminals everywhere. "Hmph. Then they should have trained soldiers. Soldiers are meant to follow orders and be loyal. Not vigilantes." It boggled his mind. Had those old coots even known what the word meant? "Sounds like they need to study dictionary. They have gotten confused on what some words mean." Soldiers were the ones that were meant to protect a particular pack or nation. That's what they were trained to do. They were a part of society. Vigilantes were not. They did not follow society's rules and codes. They made their own, ones that followed the cause of justice better.

Onus couldn't say exactly why he felt the need to do what he did. Something in him that one night so long ago had clicked and from then on this had been his existence. His only reason for living. He had no family, no friends. What better creature to serve justice than one that had no one? "It is my purpose in life. Live for no other reason." Now that wasn't entirely true, not anymore. Now he did have someone else to live for. Someone he loved. But serving his cause was still his life. Whenever he wasn't with her, he was what he had always been. "Evil cannot go unpunished. Justice must be served. Without justice there is chaos and darkness." And the world could not be allowed to fall into such a state of disarray. At least he would not let it.

[/html]
[html]

All he had to say in response was a simple, "Hm." Vigilante didn't know what else he should say in regards to the situation. He had taken his profession very seriously, until he had realized just how wrong it was for him to determine who should live and who should have that liberty taken forcibly away from them. His elders had been wrong in their ideas, but they had been on the right path, sort of. Having soldiers would have taken away from their "peaceful and safe" pack situation, and while harboring a vigilante and his soon-to-be-killed sister was not quite peaceful, it had been far more quiet and out of the eye of others than having an army of those ready to fight in hopes of the victory they sought.

Leaning forward, he lifted a stray leaf from the surface of the water, twirling it delicately between his fingers. "I hope you find something more to live for, if it's something you seek. . . Find someone or something worth dying for, even. Justice is a good cause, but there is far more to life," he mused, keeping is tone low out of respect and fear of offending the man. It was all well and good to live for the purpose you believed you had to serve, such as protecting the innocent from the evils of the world that he had once fought against, but there was so much more than that. Finding someone or something to live for, such as serving justice, was nothing compared finding someone or something worth dying for.

[/html]
[html]

Maybe it wasn't right for any individual to decide who deserved to die and who deserved to live, but Onus wasn't like most people. He had no social biases. He judged others not on the way they looked but their actions. What right did a murderer have to live? If they took the lives of others nothing should protect them from having their own life taken from them. They forfeited that right the moment they spilled another's blood. Rapists were just as bad. If they wanted to take something so personal, something that should only be willingly given, then he would take something from them. More petty crimes such as theft didn't deserve death, and he didn't deal it. But he did make sure that the perpetrators understood the gravity of their wrongdoings.

Vigilante's next words intrigued, even surprised Onus. The man wished for him to fine something...more? To have someone or something worth dying for? Of course the coyote already had that someone. He would give his life for Cwmfen without hesitation or question. But the fact that this man had actually wished for him to have what most would consider a better life too him aback. No one had ever wanted that for him before, especially not some stranger he had only just met. It made the vigilante a little nervous, he was not good at accepting such kindness. "Hrm...yes. Suppose so." Onus felt no need to tell the other he had already found such a thing. The fewer that knew about him and Cwmfen the safer she would be.

[/html]
[html]

ooc -
I lied. XD; I'll pull him out in the next post, buuut, he needs to ask?

ic -

There was nothing more to say, as far as the doggish man could tell. He had said his piece, and the coyote had said what he had to say. This encounter had been, admittedly, a little awkward, and he was feeling the itch to leave, and find something else to focus his attention on without thinking of his name or former profession. It was hard enough to think about on his own, but now this stranger knew more of him than anyone in this area, although it was not without retribution, as Vigilante now knew this man's take on justice and his role in serving it. What he did not know, however, was the coyote's name.

Standing slowly, his muddy green eyes looked over the masked coyote once more. "I've given you my name, and we've shared a conversation. Are you comfortable giving yours?" He did not want to leave with something like that as unfinished business, but he would have understood if the man did not wish to give his name. During his time as a devoted vigilante, he had not given his name out to most, even those he only met in passing, rather than on the job. However, since changing his lifestyle and outlook on life, he had grown rather comfortable with being known, even if his name did raise some unpleasant questions and looks.

[/html]
[html]
lol that's fine!

Vigilante was not the only one feeling the urge to move on from this encounter. Onus was not good at social situations to begin with and once he deemed they had worn out their usefulness he would just leave. Though there was also a sort of uncomfortableness of a different sort in this particular situation. The hybrid had seemed to understand him better than many that he met, and not only that, but he had actually shown him good will. This creature actually wanted him to find happiness. The coyote had never had someone ever want that for him, except for Cwmfen. Perhaps Mati or Anu had felt the same, but he could not remember them ever expressing it so explicitly. It was strange and he found it hard to understand.

It seemed the other was ready to leave when one last question was asked. It was to be expected, he guessed. Most asked him for his name. Also, most were not given it. He had met a handful of people in these lands and perhaps only half of them knew his name. Probably even fewer than that. Most often it was easy to refuse, but for some reason the kinship that the two males had once shared made him take pause. Perhaps this man was deserving of knowing. Definitely more so than most. After a substantial pause the coyote finally spoke. "Onus." It was all he said and it was all that needed to be said. Onus had no doubt that the other understood it was a privilege to know his name and would not bandy it about.

[/html]
[html]

ooc -
Yay, both of my characters know his name! :o

ic -

Nodding, Vigilante accepted the name with gratitude. It meant something to him, however small the gesture was, that Onus would give him his name. He, of all people, understood why names were not given freely, even if he was trying to not protect it as such. Vigilante was trying to live a normal pack life in which names were exchanged upon gretting. Thinking on that, however, he supposed the only one he had freely given his name before knowing theirs, with the exception of Onus, or questioning it first (as he did not remember how it had happened) was his King, Jacquez. Otherwise, he asked of the other's name before giving his. It was just in his nature to be cautious, as he was.

"Thank you," he said simply before turning to leave so that the active vigilante could continue his fishing in peace. Their encounter had lasted longer than it had to, so the man did not feel his presence was necessary any longer. He expected that the other would know that he was thanking him for the name, but perhaps it was also meant for their short conversation. Turning back, he studied Onus for a moment more. "I look forward to any future conversations, should we meet again." And with that, he left, ambling in the direction of Cour des Miracles. Surely there was something he could do in the pack lands, but if not, he was satisfied knowing that he was not the only one in the area who knew what his lifestyle was like. . . Even if he did have more to say than Onus seemed to.

[/html]