the canals of our city
[html]

It wasn't exactly dangerous, but no one could call the Yawrah safe, winter or not. She had been dragged under by it twice as a youth, and the sight of it rushing, splashing up with little finger-like stains from the hole she had carved made a point for her to not forget that. For a girl that floated on whims and wishes, who skated above the surface of this raging lifeblood, she was inexplicably stubborn when it came to shifting, despite the obvious disadvantages her choice gave her. It had been nearly two years since she had walked on four feet, stalked a deer or curled up in the knotted fashion she took to as a loner child. She had her reasons, buried deep in her heart of hearts and nearly forgotten now, but the reality remained a little ridiculous now, in her first Canadian winter on stubborn two feet. They were bound now, in thick bandages to keep her pads from freezing uncomfortably to the ice she stood on. The white was then bound by red ribbon, for no reason other than to match those on her wrists and arms which was, illogically, for decoration. The quilt-turned-dress that she wore at least offered warmth.

Shuffling at her post, Poe gripped a rusty fishing pole in both hands and peered down at her hole in the ice with mild skepticism. The waiting game was not one that she enjoyed, but she had little choice. Her stomach growled for fresh meat, and her tongue had long ago fallen in love with fish flesh. She jostled the fishing rod, wiggled her shoulders and hips, and pushed a subtle rhythm into her stance to warm her body and heart. It was cold and isolated out here, but she was determined and hungry.

[/html]
[html]
Made by Hickey

The little lady didn't do so well with water at all. She couldn't swim and kept away from it as much as possible. But the sight of a wolf standing upon the frozen surface had piqued her interest. It had drawn her close though she remained safely upon the shore. She didn't dare step paw upon the ice given what happened the last time she had stepped on a river that she had figure was frozen. Trotting along the snow covered bank she came as close as she dared. Four paws carried her weight easily enough and supported her as she stood on the shore behind the female on the ice.

"Whatchu doing?" Question was called out but she wouldn't step any closer to find out on her own. Rather she just watched from where she was posted. The pup stretched out her neck as far as possible to try and see around the other female. It didn't work so well but it was the best that she could do from where she was. She wasn't ready to brave the ice yet. She didn't want it to crack away under her. After all it only took one wrong step for that to happen.
[/html]
[html]
ooc: I'm sorry this took so long. :\ I've been super sick lately.

A mildly childish voice called out for her from behind, and Poe’s head followed the twist of her ears to consider the figure that had appeared on the shore while she had been sounding out the music in her head. A little white adolescent, pure white and therefore relatively ordinary, besides the smear of familiarity that Poe found amongst her features. Without a thought for manners, the older D’Angelo considered the ivory girl with a quirked ear and raised brows. She looked afraid of the ice (as she rightfully should be) and blatantly curious, two qualities that skewed her relations off course and left her pushing through the brush of her memory. “Uh,” she finally non-answered, glancing down at the line being tugged at by the current. “Fishing. Trying to be fishing I should say, seeing as I have yet to catch a fish today,” she explained while stepping off to one side, allowing the unidentified relation a view of her set-up, as well as an easier crane to her neck. “You can come check it out if you want. It’s great for all of those times that you blatantly refuse to hunt effectively.” A smile bloomed, mildly cynical but largely friendly, a teasing gesture to lure a moment’s company and a few more minutes to figure out who she reminded her of.

[/html]
[html]
It is fine. My step-mom had a triple bypass not too long ago so I haven't been able to sit around like I want for awhile.

Fishing? She had never heard of it. Never tried it either. Yet it seemed somewhat interesting. Except for it being the middle of the river. That certainly didn't seem like too much fun. Yet the bipedal female was out there moving around easily enough. Even so the pup didn't really trust the water, frozen or not. The ice had already tricked her before. But still... Curiousity got the best of her and Selene found herself testingly settling a paw against the ice. First one paw and then another. Each step was made with hesitation at first before she got a bit more confidence and strolled over to where the other was. Yet she still remain away from the hole, prefering to stretch her neck out to glance in rather than properly check it out.

"I can hunt." Quadraped spoke out, head tilting a bit in order to look up at the older female before looking back to the hole. "Can't fish though. Don't know how to swim either." Actually there was alot that she had yet to learn. Hunting was about the only thing that she could do with any effiency. She was still trying to master the shift. She always looked deformed when she tried it and couldn't hold onto the shape. She continued to practice though. Yet in the back of her mind she feared that she would never pick up on it.

"How do you know if you get anything?" Perhaps it was a stupid question but she didn't understand even the basics of fishing. She was used to hunting where she could see her food ahead of her. With the fish hidden by the ice how was it to be told if they could be caught? The young lass certainly wasn't about to jump into the hole to find. Rather she continued to shift around on the ice, alternatingly picking up a paw and then replacing it with another.
[/html]
[html]

The girl tiptoed out with proper caution (the sort that Poe herself should have taken now, and many times before) to take a look. She appeared curious and unfamiliar with the general concept when the joke went over her head, which probably meant that she hadn’t hit the age that most kids in the region shifted and began investigating the imitation-human life of the city. In a life that knew nature’s lines and rhythms, the man-made world seemed nonsensical and harsh, or so it had in her own youth. It brought a bit of a smile to the dark one’s lips while she continued analysing the wolf’s features from a closer range. Just as the recognition began to creep in, it was interrupted by a question.

“It’s pretty straight forward,” she began, bounding the rod a little. “There’s a hook with a bit of fish stuck to the end. A bigger fish will—hopefully—try eating it and the hook will snag its cheek. So when it tries to swim away I’ll feel the pull on the string, and try pulling it all in. I make it easier, this pole’s got a little wheel that I can turn to wind the line back up,” she explained, pointing out the components as she went along. She shrugged the quilt-dress tighter around her back, sealing out a draft.

“Have you got family in these parts?” she asked, and just as the verbal connection was drawn it connected in her head. Kaelyn—she looked almost exactly like Kaelyn. The white wonder of a packmate from long ago, with a tongue like a whip—contained by the first lips that had kissed her own. A quiet, strange little laugh bubbled up, certainly misplaced when lacking the train of thought she’d taken, but she did no more than smile to explain it. Perhaps this girl had been why Roman had left so suddenly. He had always been infatuated with the idea of a family, although the fact of which had never really settled into his bones—which was just as good a guess as to why she was here alone.

[/html]
[html]
She had yet to master the shift as others had. That left her behind on a number of things. She knew nothing of the human city. Didn't know of any of their things. All she knew was the natural way of the wolf. She had been trying to shift though. She just hadn't accomplished the feat. But it wasn't for a lack of trying. She simply couldn't hold the shape. Plus she looked grotesque in the process and she couldn't stand to see herself that way.

Nod was given as the process was explained. Gaze following along as the compenants were pointed out. It sounded simple enough. But it must not be that simple because the other female still didn't have a fish yet. Maybe the fish weren't awake yet? Carefully she approached the hole and stuck her head down towards it. "Hey fisheys! Wake up! It's time to eat!" Words were called down in hopes to wake the fish. She didn't realize that this might in turn scare them away. As was obvious she knew nothing about fishing.

"Mr. Poer said I am related to a Miss Harry and a Nanacoo in Tears. Then there is another that he doesn't know how to find. A Pooh. I think..." Yeah, she wasn't too good with names. It took her awhile to learn and remember them. Especially if she didn't have a face to put with them. "He doesn't know where my Dad is though. He says that Chimera is gone." And that was the only place that she knew to find her Dad. So far no one knew where to find him. He just seemed to have disappeared all together.
[/html]
[html]

I am so sorry for how late I am here, hon. D:

The older D'Angelo only smirked to herself as the youth shouted down the hole in the ice for the fish to wake up for her. It surely wouldn't help, but Poe had no proof that it would do any worse considering her current track record. She jiggled the line and peeked in after Selene, mildly encouraging the girl that it may have done something.

Mr. Poer could have been one of two that Poe knew of, but it was quickly made evident as to which she referred. Now, the other names were a different matter, and each one Poe awkwardly broke down and sounded out in her head. Miss Harry snagged in her head while she carried on her list of relations, until she finally recognized it as a skewed variation of her own mother's name. Miss Harry--very unique. "Well, I would be Pooh D'Angelo. Better known as Poe D'Angelo, though," she explained, that amused smile still turning the corners of her lips. "You must be Kaelyn's and Roman's kid, huh? I'm one of Roman's cousins. We grew up together actually, so he's just as close to being a brother as anyone," she explained needlessly. Or maybe not needlessly, because there were D'Angelos and relations all over the land, half of which Poe had never met. Just because they shared blood hardly meant they were true family.

[/html]