The Finishing Touches
[html]
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a115/ ... gyrkin.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
ooc: Alright, first come first serve. The shy carpenter of Dahlia needs to get more active in the social workings of the pack instead of being such a recluse ^_^

Words: 646

The sun, a welcome visitor on this gray day, poked its shining face through the clouds for a moment, casting its golden light upon the ruddy, shaggy werewolf perched atop the roof of his current project. With mallet in hand, he pounded the very last, finishing nail into a smooth, thin plank of wood designed to hold the glass pane in place. It was the last of more than twenty glass panes of various sizes that had been scavenged by himself to complete the greenhouse. All of the wood had been hewn by his own hands, cut to his exact specifications. The building stood beside Colibri Haki's home, approximately ten feet long, by twelve feet high, by eight feet wide. It had an especially tall door frame to accommodate luperci of all sizes, ranging from petite, smaller individuals like Colibri, to taller, larger individuals like himself.

Hopping down from his perch atop the roof, Rath dashed off a few paces to get a good look at his handiwork while the sun lingered for a moment. The light cascaded through the panes of glass, creating numerous golden rays that ricocheted around inside the structure. "I hope she likes it," he thought out loud, as he slipped his mallet back into its holster on his tool belt. Taking a look at the structure, as a cloud finally moved over the sun and brought back the dimly lit atmosphere of the day, Rath pondered what finishing touches he would put on the greenhouse. The door, a large pinewood door had had swiped from an abandoned house, seemed like the perfect place to carve Coli's name so that everyone would know who this place belonged to. Perhaps he would wait and see if the chocolate, bi-colored femme would want anything else carved on the beams that supported the four corners of the roof, or the eaves of the roof itself. For now, however, Rath would have to quiet his urge to go wild on the building and turn it into a piece of art, not just a greenhouse. Now, he pulled out a smaller mallet and a thin, detailing chisel to begin carving the name 'Colibri Haki' on the door of the greenhouse.

The male was very worried about his timid friend, for he had not seen her in several weeks. He had been working on the greenhouse for almost four months now, and while he had seen her twice during the initial three months when he was preparing the materials, the last month when he had been actually constructing the building he had seen neither hide nor hair of the petite female. Was she avoiding him? Did she not like the greenhouse? If that was the case he could deconstruct it and change it. All she would have to do was ask. However, as he thought of this, the towering, muscular male thought of how hard he would find it to ask someone something like that and he realized how impossible it would be for Colibri, for she was just as shy as he was. He would have to simply wait and hope to see her and seek her approval of the structure when she finally decided to return to her house. He had gathered that she must have been somewhere else, for surely she would have had to exit the home at some point during her seclusion to search for food and he would have seen her. However, since she had not done this, the only logical conclusion was that she was somewhere else. So, with that thought in mind, the shaggy optime finished carving the 'C' in Colibri, in a rather elegant, artistic manner. Writing with pen and paper was not his best skill, but when it came to carving, he could make letters look very beautiful. That was yet another skill he owed to his late parents.

[/html]
[html]
I was totally going to pick this one up a few days ago >n< Sorry about that!
500+

She had watched the moon the night before and had watched how its full belly waned. Before she had fallen asleep, the woman’s hands had grasped her own belly, her fingers seeking to feel what was within her. That day, the woman had chosen to spend only a short time upon the boarders. The red breasted robin with its clear song had been the first to sing in the grey of pre-dawn. She had looked out upon the unclaimed lands as the sun had risen, watching the grey world take colour. Soon the god of the sun would die, only to be reborn with the new Year. She had watched the colours grow stronger, had listened as the sun’s song had risen with majesty, had felt those tones move through her soul. But the quiet nature of the woad warrior did not lift. Once more, the solitude seemed enough. The woad marked fae breathed a soft sigh, for there was nothing like nature that could so take her breath away. No—there was but one other.... And so, with that soft placidity upon her maw, she had turned away from the boarders, and she had returned to the deeper places of the packlands.

Cwmfen nic Graine passed through the dim woods, the Raven Spear humming softly within her hand. She was able now to walk without the harsher rhythms of her limp marring her step, but it would still be a long while before the deep wound would fully heal. The woad bound ears of the woad marked fae lifted as the fluid movements paused. The distance called out with the sound of several strikes that were too regular to belong to the trees. It must have been another, a packmember, that created that sound. For a moment, the warrior considered moving on, remaining on her own. But the pregnancy that now weighed her down kept her here within the packlands that now seemed to cage her. Perhaps she should take advantage of her circumstances. Perhaps she should meet her packmates, should learn to understand who they are. The warrior was determined, however, to retain a certain level of distance between them, for she did not wish to endanger them in anyway, nor did she wish to burden them with her social ineptitudes. Content with her solitude, the woman could retain that sentinel’s stance from a distance. But today, the pregnant female decided to move against such thoughts.

Her pace was patient as she moved toward the sound. But the sound had stopped, leaving but the echoes of its memory for her to trace. The warrior, however, was accustom to such things, and the tracing of that dead sound came naturally. The white orbs looked out ahead of her, finding that there was a new edifice that had been erected since she had last chosen this rout. She recognized the scent that permeated the area. It belonged to Henratha, whom she had met near Wolfville. She had not seen him since then, and it did indeed seem as if a great deal of time had passed. With silent steps, the warrior, her Spear’s blade hungrily biting the heavens, rounded the corner and found the male working diligently upon the door. "I see that you have found your tools," the quiet melody sounded, remembering how he had sought tools with which he might be able to build. The white orbs crossed over the pattern that he had carved upon the door, although, unable to read, she could recognize it only as a pattern in the wood. "You build as they do—the humans," the quiet alto offered, a light smile upon her maw.

[/html]
[html]
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a115/ ... gyrkin.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

The shaggy, ruddy colored luperci had just finished carving out the O in Coli's name when the wind had shifted bringing with it a familiar scent, very closeby. A matter of moments afterwards he had heard the quiet voice of Cwmfen nic Graine the Adonis of the pack. The fact that he had not known how close she was surprised him, although he quickly attributed the numbness of his senses to the fact that he had been focusing on his work. Now, with a friendly smile on his face, Rath returned his tools to their slots in his belt, rising to his full height to meet the woad marked woman. "Yes, I found my tools, a whole lot of them. It's been far too long Cwmfen, how have you been?" he questioned, readily noticing the prominent bulge of her abdomen. She was pregnant? Wow, what turn of events had brought that about? Although he did not know Cwmfen too well, she did not strike the reclusive carpenter as someone willing to simply settle down and have a few pups. However, he would not pry. It was not his place to question the higher ranking woman. Right now, he was simply glad to see her.

When she noted that his style of building was like the humans, he nodded, "I don't really think about it a lot, but yeah I do build things in human style. Their form of construction is sturdy and efficient. Its easier to make things using a system that has been proven to work rather than experimenting with a new style that might fail,"he replied, nodding in polite emphasis of his words. Building as the humans did seemed logical, not to mention that it was the only way he knew how to build things. He hadn't learned from a human. His father had taught him. However, Rath did not know how his father had learned carpentry and woodworking. He had always thought his father had learned by observing human structures and copying them. That was how Rath had learned about greenhouses and been able to build this one for Coli. It was simply a matter of observing something, and then copying it in your own way so that you could learn how to do it. That made sense didn't it? Now that he had finished his answer to Cwmfen's question, he waited quietly to see what she thought about them. She was a very intelligent individual, Rath had learned that the first time he had met her. Hearing her opinion on the matter would likely be an enlightening experience.

[/html]
[html]
500+

"So it has," the quiet melody replied with that discrete, placid smile upon her maw. Her eyes continued to observe the strange marks that were carved with great care by the builder. The careful beauty of those markings reminded her of the structured knots of her culture’s designs. She had carved similar knots upon the blade of Badb and of the Raven Spear, though the design depicted the head of a Raven—her Dream. The designs upon the Spear’s shaft were more generic, simple knots that bound its circumference and length with carefully placed meaning. But the work of Henratha upon the door did not seem to take the shape of knots. The brief pattern and the space between them reminded her of writing, and she wondered what it was that he wrote upon the door of this edifice. Her gaze finally moved from the wood to the male that worked it, an art that no doubt gave him the same passion that she felt for war. "I’ve been well enough," she offered with a soft, almost sad smile. She did not think that it was necessary to trouble the packmembers with her own troubles. It was enough for the black fae that both Brennt and Corvus Vendetta were now dead. "I trust that you have been doing well?"

While the woad warrior was a creature of the earth and the wild, she had not meant her comment about his work to be taken as an insult, but she did not think that he had taken it in such a way. "Your structure seems sturdy, like the trunk of an ancient tree," the soft alto agreed with an imperceptible nod. "But don’t be afraid to experiment and fail." Perhaps Henratha would surprise himself. She understood the safety of familiarity, for even in battle the techniques that were implemented tended to hold the patterns of attacks that had been successful in the past. But she understood, as well, that each battle was different, and that to battle with the same technique would lead to failure and death, for an opponent would quickly learn the weaknesses. Building was, by no means, battle or war, but the mindsets, she believed, could be applied to all aspects of life. Or perhaps such a method and such ideals set her apart from the others. She truly did not know, and she wished only to make a suggestion.

"What is this building," the alto melody inquired with that mild curiosity. Her eyes, which had once more observed the newly built structure, turned back to the male. She was unfamiliar with many human things, and she could not recognize what it is that stood before her. Briefly, those white orbs turned to the carving upon the door, wondering if those letters somehow explained the purpose of that building. Or perhaps, the woman thought, those letters spelled out the male’s name, marking it as his own in a way that she would not be familiar with (she would only be familiar with the scent marking of wilder wolves and of the pack boarders). "Did you build it for your own purposes?"

[/html]
[html]
300+

At Cwmfen's reply, the ruddy hued male nodded and gave a small smile. It was not his place to pry at any personal problems the Adonis might have, so he was content with her response. When the warrior wolfess returned the question back to him he paused to think for a moment, his gooseberry green gaze turning to the greenhouse beside him and then back to Cwmfen, "I've been well. To be honest, I've been working on this building most of the time," he replied, his smile broadening. When she remarked about the sturdiness of his structure, the shaggy luperci beamed with silent pride. To hear a woman so in tune with nature liken his work to an ancient sentinel of the forest was the greatest compliment he could have hoped to receive. "Thank you Cwmfen it means a lot to me to hear you say that. I'll definitely remember to do some experimenting though. Now that this thing is done I'm going to have lots of free time to experiment," he replied with a chuckle, remembering that he still had to build Tokyo Chance's rocking chair. That wouldn't take too long, though.

When the Adonis inquired about the structure once more, leading Rath to turn his gaze once more to the glass, wood-beam building. "It's a greenhouse. The humans invented them to grow plants inside during even the colder months in winter. I saw one or two when I was younger that were made out of glass and metal, so I thought I would try my hand at making one with a wooden frame." He replied, rubbing the doorframe affectionately. His white tufted ears swiveled to catch Cwmfen's next question. "Oh, no this isn't for me. I built it for Colibri Haki. She owns that house over there," he pointed to the human structure about twenty paces away. "She likes plants, so I offered to build it for her. I was just starting to carve her name into the door when you came along," he finished, indicating the ornately carved C and O on the door.

[/html]
[html]
500+

"You’re very dedicated," the soft melody commented quietly. The black fae wondered if such dedication lay with the pack as well, but she did not doubt it. That soft, imperceptible smile flickered across her quiet lips. She was glad for such dedication within the pack. At times, with so many members having simply disappeared, it was quite refreshing. She was, by no means, as familiar with the pack as those who had been there at its birth, but she had remained with Dahlia from the moment of her joining. That would not change, and she hoped that other members would find such a thing. The woman simply smiled in return. She meant what she said, for she did not waste empty compliments upon others.

"A greenhouse?" The white orbs turned to consider the structure, observing it with great care. Now that she knew what it was and what it was for, the warrior tried to understand how it worked. But unlike the strategies of war and unlike the weapons that she held, this edifice seemed much more complicated. Briefly, she reached out to touch the wood gently with her woad-bound fingers as if the building might somehow enlighten her. But the wood was dead and not alive as the trees were, and the dead wood did not sing to her as the trees did. "I’m sure it will work," the woman replied, allowing her hand to fall from the wood and to return to her belly. She did not know how such a thing would allow plants to grow in winter—it was unnatural, something that she had never heard of before that moment. But she trusted that Henratha knew of which he spoke, and so she did not question him.

And he had built this ‘greenhouse’ for Colibri Haki. The woad-banded ears pricked forward in recognition. Anu had been searching for the girl who carried the appearance of her father. The white orbs turned to follow the direction that was indicated. The woad warrior had spent very little time getting to know the members, a thing she now attempted to amend. If she could not continue with her duties as Warrior, she could extend her duties as Adonis. She listened silently to the words of the larger male, finding it curious that the girl would like plants. And the woad-marked fae wondered if the chocolate and cream girl in question ate the plants, although that would be peculiar. "You have spent much time for her," the soft melody commended as her gaze returned to the eyes hued like unripened berries. But it was simply a comment, for the warrior did not necessarily see anything in such a thing. Social cues were not something that she could read well.

And she could not read the words of humans. And so when he revealed to her that it was Colibiri’s name that was being carved upon the door, the eyes went to study the carving. As with the wood, the black fae touched the ornate letters. "You carve them with great care and great skill." There was a brief pause. Although she did not know much about building or reading or writing, the woman was familiar with the intricate knot-work of her culture and had seen them carved upon the stone and wood in Caledonia. It was with such designs that she had carefully engraved the blade of her spear, and it was with simple and patient marks that she had carved upon its shaft. The fingers of her right hand explored the darker indents in the wood. "I know the patience required to accomplish such a feat."

[/html]
[html]
ooc: Wow, sorry for the rambling. O_O

Words: 800+

At the compliment from the woad bound Adonis, Rath dipped his head in a gesture of thanks,"I don't know if I'm dedicated or just obsessed. All the same, thank you for your words Cwmfen. They mean a lot, especially coming from someone like you." he stuttered in nervous gratitude. To have a pack leader compliment you was a great thing, right? That seemed to follow along the lines of what he had learned about a pack. The leaders were the bosses and if they liked what you did, that was good, but if they complimented you then you had better say thank you. His mother's teachings regarding how to behave in a pack left quite a bit to be desired, after all she and his father were loners after all. How much could they have known about pack life?

He watched her hand touch the wood, as if expecting it to react somehow, and then return to her swollen stomach. Cwmfen was certainly an interesting woman, in a very good way. She seemed to wise and connected with the world around her. Rath wished he could be that way. However, he was not, so the thought quickly left him. "I certainly hope so. I'd be very disappointed if it didn't," his tenor voice stated with a deeply sincere tone to it. He had poured himself into this greenhouse for the past several months. If it did not work, it would be a hurtful, personal failure.

When Cwmfen mentioned how much time he had spent working on this project for Colibri, his white-tufted ears flattened timidly as he turned his gaze away to avoid betraying his emotions with them. "She's a very good friend of mine, although I haven't seen her the past few weeks. I can't imagine why she'd be avoiding me..." the last statement wasn't meant to be heard, but he had said it out loud. It perplexed him as to why he hadn't seen the chocolate, bi-colored female during the entire time he had been working. He had spent entire days working and never once had he ever seen her entering or exiting her house. Had he done something wrong? If so, how could he fix it if he didn't know what it was and she wouldn't tell him? It was all very upsetting for the nervous male. However, now was not the time to brood over his personal problems. Turning his gooseberry green gaze to look at Cwmfen once more, Rath smiled as if nothing was wrong. "If I were to pick a favorite out of the many tasks involved in woodworking, it would have to be carving. Each piece is unique, but carving accentuates their uniqueness and makes them even more beautiful. At least, that's the way I see it." He smiled once more, his fingers moving to trace the two letters he had carved into the door. He would finish Colibri's name later, and add some more embellishments to the door.

The conversation had thus far been surrounding Henratha and his recent pursuits. He didn't want to intrude on the Adonis' life, but it was obvious to him that she was pregnant. How that had come about he would not even dream of asking, but perhaps he could make a friendly gesture to celebrate the eventual birth of Cwmfen's pup(s). "Cwmfen, if you would like, I could make you a...rocking chair?" Why he had offered this he did not know. He had offered to make Tokyo Chance a rocking chair and to carve her name into it. That would likely take him about a week. He could work on Cwmfen's right after Tokyo's. "I mean, if you want one that is. It's a special seat that humans invented to...rock their children to sleep in. My mother had one when I was a pup. Whenever I'd hurt myself or whenever I was sad about something she would carry me over to the chair, sit down with me in her arms, and just rock back and forth until I was asleep. It was a very soothing experience, if I remember correctly. I just figure...since you're...well...you know...going to have pups someday soon that you might want to have something like that." The male stuttered and tripped over the words as he made his offer. Why was it always so hard for him to offer his services? It's not like it was a burden on him personally. He liked woodworking. Perhaps it was simply the fact that he had brought up the subject of Cwmfen's future offspring, something she herself hadn't verbally mentioned. Wasn't it rude to mention if a woman looked pregnant? This whole scenario was confusing. Yet, he had made his offer. If Cwmfen refused, he would think nothing of it. It had just occurred to him to offer.

[/html]
[html]
I thought it was good!
700+

Cwmfen was silent as he spoke, a smile showing only in her gaze. He was modest as well, and respectful too. Not many had such formality, although such a thing did not mean arrogance and disrespect. Henratha simply seemed more willing to express such qualities openly. But she wondered what the phrase ‘someone like you’ meant. Who was someone like her? The woad-marked fae did not quite understand the implications of his words, but she did not question him for she did not think that he meant anything of an ill nature. When he voiced his hopes for the success of his structure, the woman nodded. It would be trying for him, no doubt, should the fruits of his efforts fail. But, nonetheless, such a thing would allow room for improvement. Was it not the same with the failures of her efforts? If not for the mercy of the gods and of the Fates, if not for the appearances of those who had spirited her from those that sought her life, she would have been dead.

The woad bound ears flickered at the familiar phrase and she turned to look at him, considering the large male. It was not the first time that one had voiced such a fear. Anu, too, had wondered if Colibri Haki had been avoiding her, and her voice had carried the same tentative question. The black fae was silent, wondering what such a thing could mean. Perhaps both Anu and Henratha were simply ‘very good friends’ with Colibri Haki, or perhaps...perhaps there was something more. "I do not think that she would avoid you intentionally," the soft melody offered at great length. "Perhaps, if you wish to see her, you can seek her yourself." At times, to simply wait accomplished nothing. But Henratha had been busy building the strange edifice called a ‘greenhouse’, and such tasks required one’s full attention. Perhaps Colibri, as well, had been busy with her own tasks, or perhaps she had gone to visit Anu at Crimson Dreams. But whatever the case may have been, the black fae knew that the girl would come to see what had been built for her. A soft but indiscernible smile moved across her quiet lips. "She will come," she reassured him.

"I think that you are right," the woman agreed, turning her gaze back to the carving upon the door. Although the black female could not read, she could appreciate the efforts that went into creating such carvings in wood. And the woodworker himself appreciated his work. Her white orbs watched as the ruddy-hued male touched the door with a surprisingly gentle touch. "They are beautiful."

Cwmfen turned fully about, facing him as he made his offer. Her head tilted ever so slightly in question, for she did not know what a rocking chair was or what it was used for. And the black fae was about to voice such a question when the male continued, offering an explanation. A rocking chair, she supposed, had a self explanatory name. She wondered if it were a practical thing to have, and wondered if pups truly had trouble sleeping. But the warrior did not know, and she had not considered such a thing, content that she would know when it was required for her to know. A soft mirth flickered in those white orbs as he stuttered at the mention of her litter yet to be born. "Do you think that I will need one?" the soft melody asked with a sincere curiosity. The woad-bound fae did not know what was required of a luperci mother—and it was a mother, now, that she would be. "I don’t want to trouble you," the woman continued, and it was always the last thing that she wished upon her packmates. "I would not know where to put a chair." Her den was most definitely not large enough to accommodate human things; getting her Spear in and out of the den had been a feat, one that eventually became impractical. And she did not want him to waste his work on her, for she knew that wood did not keep well in the constant weather. "I don’t even know how to use one," she admitted quietly, her gaze growing tentative. She did not think that she had even utilized a normal chair before, for this optime shape had never been worn as often as her birth shape.

[/html]
[html]
Words:400+

When Cwmfen suggested that he seek Colibri out, the male nodded in agreement,; although he wasn't sure if he could muster up enough courage for such an act. That would have to wait and see. The ruddy hued male turned his gaze to the woad warrior as she complimented the carvings on the door, slowly removing his hand from the wood. "Again, I thank you for your words," he replied, his gooseberry hued eyes betraying his timidity as she spoke. He was not used to having his work complimented by others, and it made him a bit self-conscious. This might have seemed odd, as it was the structure, not himself being examined. However, in a way, one might say that by viewing the building that he had poured so much of himself into, one was looking at him. This was the view that Rath took, and while he did enjoy having Cwmfen compliment him, having someone he highly respected acknowledging his handiwork was a bit unnerving for him.

Despite the fact that his posture and gaze were betraying the onset of his nervousness, Rath did his best not to think about it. He wanted to enjoy the fact that he was having a conversation with a friend. As she responded to his offer with curiosity and a bit of confusion, the shaggy male smiled and nodded feeling oddly confident rather than unnerved by Cwmfen's questions. "It would be no trouble. I have nothing but time. However, if you feel that you would not have a place for one I wouldn't dream of inconveniencing you," he responded, pausing for a moment to remember his conversation with the Italian wolf from Crimson Dreams, Ehno Marino. He had said something about making toys for a pup in his pack. That might be a good idea. "Perhaps I could simply make some toys for your pups...when they are old enough to play with them that is. They might provide a distraction for the pups during those times when you feel like you need a rest," This second proposal seemed far more suitable to Cwmfen's situation. Granted it would be some time before the pups were old enough to play with toys, but by that time Cwmfen would likely understand what he meant about needing a moment to relax. Every mother, at some point or another, just wanted to relax even if only for a moment. Plus, toys were smaller and would not take up much space. He would have to think for a bit of time about what a pup would enjoy playing with, not to mention he'd have to find the right kind of wood and consider various other details. But those would all be enjoyable tasks for his mind to think about.

[/html]
[html]
Sorry about the wait!! And for the crap, too, >n<
500+

Toys? This word was definitely familiar, but, for a moment, the warrior could not recall its meaning. But as the large carpenter continued, the woman realized the meaning of the word. Toys—things with which young creatures played. It was like the strange toy that was soft—not made of wood—and in the likeness of a bear; Boo was its name, and the toy had been bestowed upon her by a white, scarred dog. I must return it to one that needs it, the warrior thought, for the bear should go to the one that was loved by the white, scarred dog. The white orbs lifted, breaking from her thoughts, so that she met the gooseberry gaze. Once more, the woman had never truly known the concept of a ‘toy’, but the suggestion did seem more suitable. The toys would be for her pups, and the warrior was at ease to think that Henratha thought of her pups, for she was not accustom to thinking of herself. And she was not accustom to accepting gifts from others.

"Toys for the pups," she repeated aloud. In her mind, she did not know that there were so many things that could be considered toys, but she trusted that Henratha knew what a ‘toy’ looked like. A light smile of thanks flickered within those white orbs as the woman shifted, the shoe of the Raven Spear carving the earth without malice. "They will need a distraction," she agreed with a short nod. And the warrior hoped that her pups would not be so misbehaved as those she had observed from afar, for it was also for such demeanors that the black fae did not carry a fondness for such small creatures. And perhaps she, too, would require a rest from mental exhaustion, but she’d always be present until her presence was no longer required. "I do believe that my pups will play with your toys," the quiet melody agreed. She would rather have a gift to give to others than to herself.

"I’m afraid that I have nothing to offer in return," the soft, Caledonian lilt said at length. Nothing save for my duties as Warrior to this pack, she thought, and wondered if that simple thing could be enough. And yet, now, with the bearing of the lives within her, she could do not even that. Such a thing made the warrior restless, but unlike the mere pains of wounds, she could not for a moment shrug off the presence of the forming and growing litter. The woad warrior, however, was accustom to being patient, and so patiently she would wait knowing that her life would be limited. Perhaps, she thought briefly, the litter would be old enough by the coming of the month of Samhain, but the black fae could not be sure. The wind’s gentle fingers tugged at the twin feathers at her mane and Spear, the soft song pulling her from her thoughts. "Perhaps, one day, I will be able to return your favor." A faint, apologetic smile moved across the black wolf’s quiet lips.

[/html]