nonconforming as can be
[html]

indent Though it was only a little past noon, everything seemed a lot darker than it should have been. The sky was covered with a layer of dense clouds, heavy and laden with… something. Kansas had just figured out that clouds most always meant rain, snow, sleet, or hail – he finally understood that whenever there were clouds, precipitation was on the way. He hoped it was snow this time – he had a lot of fun with it, leaping around and digging in it, attempting to pounce on the mice that scurried below. He had been iffy about wintertime only a few weeks ago, but now the gold-cast boy loved it.

indent He made his way to the creek, a short jaunt from where he usually slept – near the den. There, he paused and gazed at his reflection in the ice. He hadn’t thought to do so ever before. Staring back at him was a face with a longer muzzle, larger ears, and coarser fur than he remembered. It surprised him. Maybe it wouldn’t take forever to grow up after all. He wondered briefly about his adoptive brother, Moon… he’d been told about him, but didn’t know what he was like, or even how old he was. Kansas assumed Moon and Sun were a lot older than he was, going off on their own like they had. He grinned and stepped onto the ice, where he slipped and fell onto his belly. At least he hadn’t fallen through!

[/html]
[html]
Sorry for the slow reply!

Since his return, Moon had been trying his hardest to search out his family members and rekindle his relationships with them. So far he had only met his father, Phoenix, on the day of his return, and now he wanted to search out his younger siblings. He didn’t think of them as his ‘adoptive’ siblings at all, because he truly felt that he was Phoenix’s son. But being a big brother didn’t mean much at the moment. He might have younger siblings but he hadn’t been around much since their birth, so he felt bad about their growing up without him. They might remember him as a shy bigger brother, but he had changed a lot in the last few months. "Hey there Kansas," he said, looking at his little brother as he slid on the ice. Smiling at the softly golden pup, Moon sat down on the edge of the lake in his four-legged form and watched him. Did Kansas remember him?

[/html]
[html]
'S fine! Smile

i can't stop running away.

He felt the cold ice against his belly and giggled childishly, attempting to stand up again but falling. After a few more tries, he was standing and moving around shakily on the ice, but he was distracted from his skating by that curiosity about his older siblings. It had been a surprise to learn that they were adopted – Phoenix seemed to love them like his own, as well he should. Kansas paused, the crunch of snow pricking his ears and causing him to turn around so abruptly that he fell down again. And there in front of him stood Moon. Kansas wasn’t sure how he knew it was him – it was intuition, or something, he guessed. He held himself back from racing forward and embracing his grayscale brother, wanting to act “mature” in front of him. "Moon? Gosh, it’s you! I… missed you."

[/html]
[html]
And again, sorry for being so gosh dang slow. :|

Moon smiled. “I missed you too,” he confessed softly, watching his brother try to become more mature in an instant. Moon rolled his eyes lovingly and pounced forward, sliding across the ice in a sort of zig-zag motion. He fell down almost immediately and began laughing aloud as he twirled away on his belly. After he stopped circling on the ice, Moon looked up toward his brother and tried to gain a foothold on the slippery surface beneath him, but couldn’t do it very well. He was only holding onto his balance with his claws. Now was not the time to be all grown up. Winter was the time of being childish and playing in the snow. Moon missed acting like a child, since he had never really done it before, but being back with his family made him realize just how much fun it could be.

[/html]
[html]
Ew, sorry for the wait. Totally wasn’t paying attention.

i can't stop running away.

He gazed wistfully at his brother, coming to the realization that he truly had missed him. Maybe he hadn’t been able to get to know Moon, having been young when his gray brother had left. But it definitely felt different now that he had his older sibling back. Kansas smiled, watching Moon slide onto the ice next to him. This was surprising, for Kansas hadn’t really considered the possibility that Moon was in the mood for play, too. The cream-gold boy did feel uplifted, and smiled as his brother also lost his footing and came tumbling down upon the slick creek. But in a moment he was on his feet again, and Kansas looked down at his own paws, noticing their tight grip on the ice. "Was it fun, bein’ away from home?"
[/html]
[html]
Sorry for the horrendous wait! :\

Moon was careful as he moved across the ice toward his brother, but once again he slipped and slid the remainder of the distance. Laughing at himself, Moon crawled onto the shore in a playfully defeated sort of way, heaving a great sigh at his clumsiness and smiling at his brother. His question, though, hadn’t gone unnoticed. Moon just wasn’t sure how to answer it best. “Well, I went away to find our sister, Sun, but I got hurt. I broke a couple of my ribs so it was hard to move around much.” He could remember the pain vividly. “I was in a lot of pain, Kansas. I thought of you and everyone in our family every day, but this one wolf was very kind to me. He helped me.” Roman had been a very generous healer. Moon had been awed at first by his gigantic size, but soon his personality showed Moon that he was no one to fear. Roman was as sweet as a child. “He’s from here too, you know. Not Storm,” he added as an afterthought, making sure his brother understood everything. “He was from a pack called Chimera, where he had many family members and friends. When his leg is healed completely, he plans on coming to visit. I hope you can meet him.”

[/html]
[html]

It's all good! Smile

Kansas hastened to follow his brother, slipping onto his belly as he tried to move and eventually crawling back up the bank. There he turned and stared into the creek, covered with snow in some places. His brother’s tale was sad… he hadn’t known the whole thing, and Moon’s telling him he had gotten hurt was hard to hear. Luckily, he had healed now – Kansas didn’t want to think about the possibility of his being alone in his injured state. He thought it strange that Moon’s healer had been from Bleeding Souls, yet they met elsewhere. What a coincidence! Kansas surely wanted to meet the guy who had saved his brother. "Oh, that would be great. I’m so glad he saved yous. Who was his fam’ly?" Maybe he’d met some of them... Naniko had mentioned Chimera to him about a week ago.

[/html]
[html]
And yet again, sorry. :\ Can we close this soon?

“He has four children, though I think you only know two of them like me. Naniko is one of his oldest daughters and Selene is his younger daughter,” Moon watched his brother for a moment and wondered how he would be when he grew up. Would he be like Moon and their father, Phoenix? Or would he be more adventurous and out-going? Both Moon and their father were quiet souls. Moon didn’t have a problem talking to anyone now, but when he was a child he hated interacting with others. It was amazing to see the transformation that he had undergone in the last few months.

[/html]
[html]

Psh, it’s fine. And I’ll go ‘head and archive this.

Kansas smiled in awe when Moon mentioned Naniko… he’d had a feeling. There again was that “connection” thing. He’d noticed that Moon had been spending a lot of time with Naniko, and Kansas was a bit jealous. But he held no grudges against his brother, and never would. After all, he did want to be just like Moon and Phoenix – quiet, brave, and smart. The brave part was something he’d have to work on. “That’s great, I thought so… Let’s go back to the den. I wanna show you something.” His reading was coming along nicely, and he couldn’t wait to show his brother what he could do.

[/html]