he's stolen hearts like they're horses
[html]

Remarkably, Dagrun had left her usual position on the top of Hemming's head. The Willow Flycatcher was absolutely thrilled with the number of insects that clouded the air, and as soon as she heard their subtle buzz she had leaped into the sky, leaving the wolf behind with little thought. She flew in the midst of many other types of birds, plucking bugs from the air, and from a distance Hemming could barely pick her out of the crowd. The wolf waded through the tall sunflowers, up to his waist by this time of year, and did little more than enjoy the sunshine on his face. The rains had been plentiful this summer, and though Hemming enjoyed them he found it nice to get a glimpse of the sun. In one hand he clutched a thick piece of wood he had found as he wandered through Ethereal Eclipse, and in the other hand he held a sharp stone, which he had been using to carve things with. It was almost time to find a new one, as it was starting to get a little dull, but for now it would do. Hemming was a little tired of making spears and other things that were little more than smoothed down branches, and so he was planning to make some kind of figurine out of the thick block.

The only dilemma the wolf was facing was difficulty in finding some place to sit down. Sunflowers swarmed over all inches of the ground, and their reign seemed to stretch out for miles and miles. Were he to sit down, the flowers would loom over his head and block out the precious sunlight. He could find his way out of the great field of gold, but Dagrun was having so much fun that pulling her away would make him feel enormously guilty. So, Hemming wandered, stopping occasionally to bend down and watch a ladybug or some other creature crawl across the broad surface of a flower.

He was slightly surprised that he hadn't seen this place before, as it had been quite obvious from a distance. Then again, the flowers could be freshly bloomed from their green pods, just now starting a new summer. With a change in seasons came a whole new yield of surprises.

kat made this! Big Grin
[/html]
[html]
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee19 ... m/ss_t.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

The sun was glorious. After so much time of nothing but gloomy clouds and rain, Strel was overjoyed at being able to run about without having to find cover for the water that seemed to simply crash from the sky. He took the advantage of the wonderful light and explore more of the territory around his home. Pack life was fun and all, but he wanted to go out and see sights he'd never seen before. That was probably why he found himself on the outskirts of a magnificent yellow field of flowers of the sun. They seemed to glow at the golden orb in the sky. Strelein decided they were as happy as he was that the clouds had gone for the day.

Refusing to send a glance away from the flowers that lay before him, the redhead slipped amongst them. He couldn't help but feel as though he were swimming in a sea of sunshine. It was so bright that he almost failed to look up in time to see another beast roaming through the plants. A grin, larger than the one that was always on his lips, wrapped around his maw. He eyed the other up and down, knowing from the distance it was no female. Raising a hand to wave, Strelein suddenly disappeared beneath the ocean of gold. His body hit the ground with an audible thud. His elbows stung with the impact, but he simply sat up, rubbing at them.

He rose, wiping away leaves of a sunflower he had crushed with his none too graceful fall. Well now there was an empty area that was carpeted with ruined flowers. The young wolf bent over and picked up one that had only snapped from the stem. Waving it towards the other male in the field, he called out, "Hey you! Hey! Hi! Well that couldn't fail to get his attention; it was certainly loud enough.

[/html]
[html]

The twitter of birds was fairly loud, and Hemming didn't hear the rummaging in the sunflowers behind him. He did hear the thump and a brief rustling, however, and turned his head to look over the scene. No one appeared to be around, and after a few moments of staring he turned his head back and continued walking, slowly, through the flowers. The dull noise had pulled him from his daydreaming, and he was more alert now. It was possible that the sound had just been a particularly clumsy bird landing in the dirt to pick at the insects that swarmed in the damp space between the soil and the leaves of the sunflowers, or some other hefty creature. There were few other things that Hemming could think of that would fit the profile of the noise, and though he didn't think it could be anything dangerous he was unable to pass it off and return completely to his dreamworld. Even if there was something friendly out there, he would like to know. Company was always a pleasure to have.

When he heard some more stirring, he turned his head again. Just before he spotted the other wolf, his call came out. Hemming grinned widely at the friendly greeting, and at the waving implement, and lifted his hand to wave back. It certainly wasn't as dramatic as waving a sunflower around, but for now it would do. The gray wolf made his way over to the other, stepping through rows upon rows of the great golden flowers. How fortunate he was, unable to find a spot to sit and carve, to have someone else spot him and want some attention. As he walked, he called back, "Hello!" the grin still plastered across his face. This wolf certainly seemed energetic, a quality most suitable for a day like today.

kat made this! Big Grin
[/html]
[html]
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee19 ... m/ss_t.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Strelein laughed slightly at getting a response, and what seemed to be a returning smile. The yellow flower waved through the air a little bit more before it dropped down to his side. He smiled, rather jolly from the fact he was meeting someone new on a very nice day. It seemed like it was a day that would probably be memorable, simply because the sun showed his face to the world, bathing it in golden light. He wanted to dance among the flowers, because he didn't know when the rains would come again to wash away the day. A bit of savoring was in order.

Running his free digits through his medium length firetruck red hair, Strel beamed at the other male. He couldn't help but smile. The day was infectious. He hoped he was ill with it. Joy was a disease that was gladly had, and sorely lost. After all, why would one want to be sad and depressed? Life was worth living! It wasn't for moaning and bitching, because honestly, everyone had issues now and then.

"Hey there," he called out, his volume far down from before. What reason was there to yell? The guy was close enough to hear him well enough. Besides, yelling would simply make his voice hoarse and that wouldn't do for singing, now would it? "Beautiful day, isn't?"

[/html]
[html]

Now, it was not only the sunny day that seemed to have an elevating effect on Hemming, but also the cheerful personality of this stranger. The gray wolf couldn't help but grin widely as he walked over to him, running his hands across the petals of the great yellow flowers as he did so. It had been so long since the clouds had parted and let the sun shine through, and it seemed to make every color all the more bright. Hemming noticed the other's red mane, and wondered briefly if it grew like that or had been stained, before throwing out the thought. Days like these were not meant to be spent pondering.

Close enough to speak more softly now, Hemming replied in agreement, "Absolutely gorgeous." It had been summer for a time, now, but so far it had rarely felt like it. This was a true summer day. "Have you been here before? I can't believe I missed this place for so long," he said with feigned exasperation. He held a hand, his stone still clutched between his two littlest fingers and his palm, up above his eyes to block out the sun as he looked at the ruby haired wolf. What a wonderful day it was to meet someone new.

kat made this! Big Grin
[/html]
[html]

Body shifting down to the ground in a far more graceful fall than before, Strel glanced up at the other male. His hand mimicked the other, shielding his eyes from the glare. His fur was beginning to feel hot, and the youth was glad that the sunflowers provided a small bit of shade. The gap he had created, littered with the corpses of flowers, felt cool: the stems of the plants were shaded, no wonder they were happy. They were cool but taking in the sun at the same time.

"No, I haven't been here before," he admitted, almost guilty about that fact. Truth be told, Strel had not yet really gotten a chance to explore outside of Cour des Miracles. Focusing solely on the place he came to call home, this was his first trip outside of it to unclaimed lands since he arrived not too long ago. Boy, was he glad he decided to venture away for the day. "I'm happy I did though. It's like finding a jewel in the muck," he added brightly, grinning back up at the stranger. Guy was kind of cute, but then again, Strel thought everyone and their aunt were cute.

"I'm Strelein von Rosnete by the way. Who are you?" Squinting, he watched Hemming, wondering who it was he was making an acquaintance with. Strel did not notice what was gripped in the stranger's hand, nor did he notice the birds flying about the entire area. He thought it was just a bunch of birds happy to be out in the sunshine, feasting on the bugs the rains brought out. As if he'd be able to know that one of them was important to the stranger; he's not that observant.

[/html]
eek, sorry, somehow i missed that you had replied. :x by the way, i love strelein. XD

[html]

Hemming was glad that he was not the only one who had overlooked the place, though he had no way of knowing that this stranger was new. He shrugged at the next comment and said, "I don't know if I would call the rest muck, but this is an exceptionally lovely place." He grinned widely and sat down beside the other, pleased to find that it was a little bit cooler down there even though the sun still reached his face. The gray wolf was quite fond of all the lands he had explored so far; each had a certain quality to it that made it interesting, or just plain beautiful.

"I'm Hemming," he replied with a wide smile, "Nice to meet you." And it was nice, to meet someone that seemed to cheerful. But then again, with this weather who could be anything less? Hemming wore his constant grin, now stretched even wider than usual, as he folded his legs in front of him. He had largely lost track of his Spirit Guide, but it wasn't as if he was about to leave, and even if he did she would be quite capable of tracking him down. Perhaps she wouldn't even realize he was gone until the sun had gone down and she was tired of snatching up bugs. Ah, such was life; there always had to be something more interesting than you.

kat made this! Big Grin
[/html]
[html]

Plucking a flower that had failed to be crushed, rather nonchalantly, Strel examined it closely. The flower really was a small sun; it looked like the drawings children did of the orb that hung in the sky day after day. Running a finger over the center of flower head, the redhead rubbed away some of the dark fuzz to reveal some hard kernels. That meant that they were either almost fully ripe or actually ripe. He pulled out one of the seeds and tried to open it. It was still a bit too soft, but he figured they weren't supposed to be eaten simply raw. Maybe roasting?

"Do you think these are good? I've never tasted them," he stated, waving the flower head at Hemming to show exactly what he was talking about. Strel pulled out a few more still standing sunflowers from their bases and laid them in his lap; they would greatly brighten up the place he called home for a couple of days before he was forced to toss them. A quick glance to the other male revealed a glimpse of what he held in his hand. Strel grinned down at the hand, making an excited noise. It was like a kid in a candy store. "Oooh what's that for?"

Haha thanks c: Lovin' Hemming too. He's down with letting the weather dictate the mood. That feels like a hippy thing to say. Also sorry, I'm not a botanist so I probably made a booboo with the sunflower seeds xD[/html]
Yay hippies. XD And I am not a botanist either, so wutev.
PS: I saw your last thread request and I was wondering if in the future I could maybe have a thread where Strelein teaches Hemming to sew? Hemming likes to knit and they could sit and.. geek out. Big Grin;

[html]

There had been a time when Hemming knew a few things about plants. Most of it had been forgotten, however, and he merely stared at the flower that was being brandished in his face, squinting thoughtfully. Though he was a fairly adventurous eater, and did often snack on plant matter, he had never even seen a sunflower before, let alone learned if they were good to eat or not. The birds certainly seemed to like them, as it looked as if some of the flowers had been picked at by sharp little beaks. That dissipated any thought that they might be poisonous, but their taste was still up for questioning. "I've never tasted them either. They could be good, who knows?" He smiled as he pulled a nearby flower toward him by the stem, making a pool of seeds in his palm as he picked them out with the intention of trying some.

The ungainly block of wood he had been carrying was placed in front of his crossed legs but the stone had stayed in his empty hand, fitting his palm perfectly. When the other mentioned it, Hemming was almost surprised to find that it was still there. "Ah!" he exclaimed softly, and let the stone roll in his hand a little as he extended it, palm up, for the other wolf see. "It's just a sharp rock. I think I'm gonna carve something out of that block. I'm not sure what though, any ideas?"

kat made this! Big Grin
[/html]
[html]

Picking out the tender insides of the seed, Strel popped the meat into his mouth. After a few seconds of tasting it, the male shrugged as it fell past his tongue. It wasn't special; it seemed kind of average to him, which didn't seem to appeal to the extravagance prone youth. Giving the plant an idle stare, wondering why birds seemed to love the stuff so much. A cook might be able to pull out some flavor from these, but Strel was far from being an accomplished cook. The best he could possibly do was not burn meat over a fire. Anything involving chopping, cutting, stewing, or baking would result in a charred black mess.

Taking the carving stone from the other's hand, the redhead ran a nail over the sharp edge rather then tempt fate to cut himself. It looked worn already, so Strelein could tell that Hemming had used it quite often before, or it was just a dull stone. Whichever. Handing it back, the youth picked up the block of wood, eying it. "Well I don't know what you could make from this. I'm useless with anything sharp beside a needle." Strelein looked up at the birds flying around over their heads, then at the sunflowers. "Well what about a bird on a flower?"

Lol that sounds fun. Sit around a fire and sew/knit. My god haha. Bunch of grannies. Sorry I'm replying slow, wow is pissing me off.[/html]
Big Grin Haaa. And you are hardly slow.

[html]

He watched as Strelein deshelled the little seed and tested it. Apparently they didn't have any immediate appeal. Hemming shook his little collection of seeds in his closed fist for a moment before placing them on his folded knee for temporary storage. The gray wolf had dabbled in cooking a long time ago, and had learned that the flame often brought out a flavour that lay dormant in the raw food. Perhaps these seeds would be less bland if they were cooked. It wasn't something he had done for a while, though, and come to think of it he hadn't even had a fire since the night before he left his little hide-out in the woods of New Brunswick. Hopefully he would still be able to start one.

Hemming let the stone leave his hand without a second thought, returning his hands to his lap and watching as the other wolf tested it with his nail. The stone had been used to carve many spears, and a few pairs of knitting needles, and the quick edge that it used to have had been rounded in most places, rendered almost useless. He had it on his mind to go find a new one at the beach, where the flint would split apart with the right hits, but, as per usual, each time he set out he got distracted. So unless he happened to stumble upon a sharp stone by chance, this would be the one he carried around all day.

When Strelein mentioned needles, Hemming's eyebrows popped up and he peered at the redhead with wide amber eyes. "A needle? What kind?" he questioned, wondering if perhaps this other liked to knit as well. Knitting needles weren't that sharp, but they did have a good point on them, so it was possible that they were what Strelein was talking about. Hemming was largely ignorant of most other types of needlecraft, and was rather hopeful that he could have someone to discuss his newfound hobby with.

He let the suggestion of what to carve fly right through his ears for now, as if it had not even been spoken. The idea was planted in the back of his mind, however, and he might just remember it when his excitement had died down a little.

kat made this! Big Grin
[/html]
[html]

A wide, self-important smile ran around his lips as he pulled at his shirt collar. He pulled it from his body and then let it drop back onto his form. "Sewing needles. Clothes on my back? Made 'em myself. Sure I ruined a bunch of cloth just making pieces of it, but I made it." It was true, all his clothing had been handmade and Strel took a lot of pride in the matter. They were rather basic but they held together and didn't fall apart while he wore them so he thought it was a success. A learning process, that's what it was. He'd get better, but it would still take him a while. It certainly took him a long time to learn to play the lute remotely close to decently. The youth really wanted to try his hand at making other people outfits, especially trying to make a lovely long dress with frills and multiple layers; like a dance dress he'd seen in catalogs. For himself he really did want to be able to make himself a fancier shirt than what he owned. Everything he had seemed to so plane, and there wasn't much to choose from at all. That needed fixing.

Eying the other male out of the corner of his eye, Strelein chucked whatever seeds were in his hand up and away. Let the birds feast on the bland stuff. "So what do you do besides carving? Or are you one of them carpenter dudes?" He was pretty sure they had a carpenter in Cour Des Miracles and he thought it was Leroy, but he could have been very wrong about it. Shrugging off the desire to figure out for sure, the redhead scooted forward before falling backward to lay on the flowers. He stared up at the sunny sky, watching the few wispy sort clouds drift by lazily. "Sometimes I wish I could put a brush in my hand and make a blank canvas fill with what I see of the world. It sucks that the best I can do is four brown lines for a house, two brown lines and a green squiggle for a tree, or a bush, and maybe a circular blue shape for a pond," he rambled on, whining a bit at his lack of real artistic talent. Sewing wasn't that artistic to him. It was just something to keep the clothes on his back. Plus fixing them wasn't hard when you made them.

I'm home all day, I should be able to push out posts like making a microwaved bowl of mac and cheese.[/html]
So sorry for the delay!

[html]

Hemming didn't wear clothes. They just didn't seem necessary. His fur was thick and warm in the winter, and even a little too much in the summer. Perhaps if he found something interesting to wear he would, but for now he was happy to waltz around naked. The realization that Strelein had made the clothes he was wearing made the idea all the more exciting, though, and a twinkle flourished in Hemming's eyes as he looked them over. "How splendid!" he exclaimed, grinning. He had never even thought of making something like that, and now he had set it in his mind to try to figure out how it was done. Perhaps Strelein wouldn't mind teaching him the basics.

Bringing his gaze back to the other wolf's strange lavender eyes, Hemming pondered his own skills. He wasn't exceptionally talented in anything, but dabbled in quite a few arts. His smile broadened when the other asked if he was a carpenter, a quiet chuckle escaped him and his eyes fell down into his lap momentarily. The AniWayan did have the official title of beginner craftsman, and for now he was still trying to figure out what he liked to do the most as well as honing his skill. "Heh, no, not quite. I found a book in a human town about knitting, so I've been doing quite a bit of that lately." His grin stayed wide. Taking a cue from the other, the gray wolf flopped backwards as well, feeling the stalks of sunflowers part around his head.

The ability to faithfully reproduce the world on canvas was a skill that Hemming would love to possess. He had often picked up a pen and some paper to sketch out the things he saw under the microscope, and had an aptitude for catching the likeness of them. They appeared as simple lines, though, simplified and cartoon-like under his crude microscope. The sky and the mountains were formed with multitudes of color, a myriad of shades and tones that had to be put together in just the right combination. "Me, too," he replied dreamily, eyes tracing the gossamer edge of a lonely cloud.

kat made this! Big Grin
[/html]