Moving up in the world
[html]
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... /raven.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom; border:1px solid black;">
Like, the promotion thread? I totally forgot to make it until now, but I have time right now so I'll just make it and if you don't want it you can yell at me :o
Backdated to the date Ember was promoted, which I no longer remember Sad
Word Count: 306

The tones of his call hung in the air around him as he stood there, waiting for her to come. He'd been thinking since he returned here, wounded, and it was perhaps time he started listening to other people. He'd been running this like a one-man show for a long time, and while he knew he could always have turned to Ayegali and asked her things, he would rather not. She had retired for a reason, and he wanted to respect that. But when Ember had mildly scolded him and at the same time proclaimed her loyalty, he'd realized that it was perhaps time he, too, found someone he could share his burdens with. His own thoughts were his own burdens, but his duties in the tribe should not become burdens. They should be enjoyable: if he did not like his job he did not deserve it. He needed someone to help him, and deciding who that would be hadn't been the easiest task either. Ember? A female? With his problematic relationship to women? He had to be be out of his mind. Still, Ember harbored the strengths he lacked. And, she had a sword which she did not hesitate to wield. Hopefully, she could fill the gaps, could complement his style of leadership. He knew that she was calm and trustworthy, and he had no doubts that she would be able to keep a collected head in a heated situation. Unlike himself. His hand went to touch his back where wounds still healed to become scars, although they were far from open now. Just not yet healed. Likely it looked like a little web of new and old skin back there, but he had no way of telling. He owed his recovery to Ember, and now she would harvest the rewards of her good nature.

[/html]
[html]
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa22 ... rtable.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
Set near his den? ^^ We can make it short and quick!

True to her word, the medium-sized woman had come by his den a few times a day. Some instances she had provided food for him (though he had said that he had his own fish) other times small attempts at conversations. She had probably been more of an annoyance than anything else, but she'd been able to keep an eye on his injuries and gain a little more insight into the ways of herbs. She was now realizing how completely ignorant she had been about healing in general.

She trekked the familiar path toward his den after she heard the call. Maybe he needed her to grab something or finish something; his wounds were healing, yes, but he wasn't completely back yet. She approached and lowered her head slightly in greeting, as usual. "Hallo, Dawali. What's up?"

[/html]
[html]
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... /raven.png); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: bottom; border:1px solid black;">
Yarr! Except of course I am a slowpoke sometimes Tongue

His own head mirrored her greeting as she found and approached him. It was polite, but now he held a different view of her. She had been his friend, and now she was also his colleague in leadership - she just didn't know it yet. His greeting was perhaps marginally prolonged, but it should be noticeable. Still, his respect for her had grown when she had handled his misbehaving so well. He couldn't decide whether he annoyed or pleased at how she had acted. She had forced her goodwill on him, but also given him an earful, as if she was his mother or something. Though, he was glad for her help, and he respected that she kept returning even if he was a grumpy old bastard. He just didn't know how to handle it if he couldn't be grumpy, feeling so weak and helpless. And deep down he knew that those of her actions that annoyed him would never have seen daylight if she had not cared about him. As if thinking about that made him any less uncomfortable, really. But today he wasn't uncomfortable as much, because today he was useful, and he could stand up, too.

Well, first of all I'd like to thank you for your help. First things first, and though it did have something to say in his decision, it was by far not all of it. But he had perhaps realized that her commitment was larger than he had originally thought it to be, when she had so selflessly cared for him since his return. I really appreciate it, even if it doesn't seem like it sometimes.
[/html]
[html]
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa22 ... rtable.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
<3!

She didn't know what sort of strain leadership could have on a wolf, but either way Ember was a wolf who could take a few angry words--even just leading a tribe had to be difficult, and being injured on top of that...she felt that any negative thing that he had to say was justified. He was probably frustrated that he couldn't get around and do things for himself. She knew very well what it felt like to be healing--useless. She'd felt useless back then.

"It was just some food--don't worry about it. I'm sure you'd do the same for me" She sat down after their inital greeting, craning her head so that she could look at his wounds. They looked good, to her, the edges of skin coming together and forming scabs. "It's ok. I don't mean to say that I know everything about you...but I feel like I know you well enough to see that you don't always realize when to ask for help. Or how to ask for it."

[/html]
[html]
<3 ^^ Word Count: 300 (hah, strange oO)

She didn't know just how right she was when she claimed he would do the same for her. Here he was, he had nearly died for his tribe, and he knew that even if he feared death tremendously, and even if he feared violence or anything malicious, he would do anything for his tribe, and any member of it, even if it meant to die. If he was never in a position to do anything directly, he would sacrifice what of himself it took to save his friends' lives, and he was a well-trained medic, after all. He knew his stuff.

When she described him, in a way, and accurately too, Dawali nodded with a wry smile. It was one of his weaknesses, and his man-pride never liked it when any of them were unveiled, especially not in the presence of a female. But, Ember did not make him as awkward as many other of her gender did, perhaps because at their first social encounter, she had been equally awkward towards him. Also the whale had taken some edge off it all. Looking at the ground again, now sitting down facing her, he let his gaze wander across the small pellets of earth that lay there before looking back up at her.

"It's true, I don't like or know how to ask for help." Pausing, he let his eyes wander back to the pellets before his face took on a different expression, one that was rare to see on him. He was asking for help, but not as a plea, it was more of the face of someone asking for the support of a friend. "But, I'm going to ask you for something. I am a grumpy old man, and I realize now that I cannot run this tribe on my own. Would you enter the Council, Ember?"

[/html]
[html]

The girl had never asked about Aniwaya's leadership or how it was set up, trusting that Dawali and their Kalona Ayegali had everything under control. She hadn't realized that Ayegali hadn't been around too much lately or that Dawali would be their one and only leader. He did seem like more of a leader to her than Ayegali--he ran all of the meetings and festivities, after all. And she had never spoken with Ayegali by herself before, just Dawali.

His words brought back memories to her of their times together, how they had come to slowly trust one another and enjoy each others' company. He was the one who she'd rather spend her time with, above everyone else. He was a part of her family, really, the one that she had made for herself here with the tribe. She couldn't say for sure what part he was, though; he wasn't like a brother or father figure to her at all. An very small, fluttery, nervous feeling set him aside and put him into another category altogether.

But now wasn't the time to analyze such things; she would save it for a later date. She had to answer the questions at hand. "You're not an old man. But the grumpy parts...well, I'd be grumpy too if I was stuck inside. I'd be glad to help you. It's an honor, really"

[/html]
[html]
Crap post by me! :o I slept too long Sad

Her kind words did not exactly lessen his underlying embarrassment, because she accepted his grumpy ways and excused them, as if they were not out of line. In fact, they were not excusable in his own eyes, he'd moped around and been a disgrace to all. Although, once down, he had needed to pick himself up. His strength in mentality had gained something from all of this. From the fight, the wounds, and what he had done. He still wasn't sure if he had accepted his actions, but he was sane enough to see what he had gained. And he knew that he would have to accept it someday. What was done was done.

For all his trouble-making, she accepted his offer, and he smiled at this, pleased. Nodding, he reached out a hand for her to shake or simply touch - whatever she saw fit. It was just a signal that the two of them had reached an agreement, and one with some significance at that. As he did so, his voice rang calmly, but in a clearly pleased tone.
"Thank you, Ember. You will be my right hand in everything."

[/html]