the art of the possible
[html]

Big Grin Lemme know if this table is too hard to read off of.

The leaves were changing colors and drifting to the earth, their golden surfaces shimmering against the azure sky. Hemming crunched through them as he walked, his own eyes close to the colors of the falling leaves. At this point, the wolf was more skeleton than flesh, with some of the whale bones he had found at the beach slung over his shoulder, some around his neck, and some in his hands. They had been stacked inside and outside his cave since he had dug them up, and finally the wolf was getting around to doing what he had planned to do with them: build a shelf.

There was far too much stuff in Hemming's cave, or rather, it was all far too unorganized. He had a bag of knitting needles and wool, from his adventure with Ember, a stack of books, a whole bunch of his own fur that he had pulled out and had not yet spun, and various gizmos that probably served no purpose at all. They would all fit in the cave rather comfortably if they could be stacked vertically, and that was the purpose of this shelf. The skeleton of the shelf would be made out of the whale bones, and then the wolf would run fabric across that to make the actual surfaces of the shelves. On top of his head and beneath Dagrun's little claws there were folds of beige fabric, a needle pinned into it, and a barrel of thread. The wolf was prepared for a very productive day.

As he often did, Hemming settled down in a particularly nice patch of grass, this time beneath a tree that was slowly shedding its leaves. The bones were placed on the ground as carefully as possible and Dagrun moved her feet so Hemming could get the fabric, which was also placed on the ground. There was a rock clutched in one of Hemming's hands, and he plopped that on top of his little pile. Finally, he was ready to get started with his project.

He hummed as he laid out the bones the way he envisioned them going into the shelf, the slightly curved ones forming the back of the shelf, and a few straighter ones sticking out from those that he could attatch the fabric to and make into shelves. Once he was satisfied with his plan, the wolf started to carve out little holes in the bone with his rock, more sanding it than actually cutting it. It would be a fair amount of work, but it was pleasant work, and the male continued to hum as he did it.

[/html]
[html]

ooc: Hey-hey! How about that plot of ours, the Cath-Hemming romantic one? You remember, aye?

Catherine was setting up to the winter. Not only the winds could tell it was coming, but the change of the leaves colors, Seymour's feather changing and her own fur was chinging into a thicker, warmer one. And she should start as soon as possible, seeing that it wasn't just her to get fed. Besides Bluma and Seymour - and Saw, though he doesn't eat -, there was someone else's mouth to feed. Someone inside her belly. And it was a quite hungry one.

Having to eat twice as much as normal, she would have to gather the twice as much for the coming season. It meant twice the work. All that the grayish female could think of was: being pregnant completely sucked.

She repeated that over and over again inside her mind while directing Bluma back home, while the cream amre would carry the mule deer they got down with a trap and a few of the small animals caught the same way. Her belly was already noticeable, and she decided to keep in the Optime form. As always. And, of course, Saw insisted her to don't carry too much weight. Besides, the horse didn't seem to mind those extra works. Not only food, but wood for the fire, and material to proof the cave from the cold.

Even so, the woman never liked to feel so dependent, to be needing help. Unfortunately, her situation demanded that, which made her feel sick.

Her back ached too much, and she knew it was still in the middle of the process. It would get worse later, if that was actually possible... But, in any way, a familiar scent came with the cool breeze, along with some reddish fallen leaves. A glad smile. It was Hemming.

A few steps toward the smell, she finally found the source. The grayish male was under a tree, with a big variety of materials in front of him, working in something. It was quite a dejà-vú: they too seemed to find each other under trees, out of nothing. Most of the times, he would be working at something. A giggle scaped her mouth, enjoying. He was a quite close friend, she would daresay. The first one since Leland. Relieving how easily she would forget of the husky mix when she would see the grayish male.

Seymour was patrouling the boarders for her, and Saw was home, waiting for her. Looks like he would wait a bit more. She heard his light humming, and soon caught the rythim, joinning him, humming slightly louder. To call his attention. Funny... The first time we met, it was me to be humming a song, huh? She asked while walking closer to the male, gigglinh in the end with the irony. She remembered that heavenly day perfectly. So, how are you doing? She asked,finally greeting him.

[/html]
[html]

I remember :o I still think Hemming is oblivious to love, though, but feel free to play Catherine however you want! Things have become kind of busy with Hemming lately and I don't think I should get him wrapped up in another plot. XD

He worked away on the piece of bone, rubbing the stone against it back and forth. A fine white powder accumulated in the depression, and every once and a while the wolf would pull his hand back, blow the powder from the bone and the stone, and start working again. It was relaxing work, repetitive and simple, and Hemming found himself slipping into a different world. Whales floated around him, singing, and in his mind he smiled and thanked them for the bones they had spent such a great deal of time and energy making strong. They were majestic beasts, giant and strong and with voices that could barely be heard with a wolf's ears. The Gatlvska remembered the things he had read about them, the deposits of fats that kept them warm in the frigid ocean, the hip bones that were there, buried beneath flesh and betraying their evolutionary origin. Hemming loved to know these kinds of things, loved to know that the things that lived now were only the tip of the iceberg. There were creatures that had lived and died that were similar but not quite the same as the creatures that lived now, and even others that would seem absolutely ridiculous. The male had not seriously read for months now, though, and he was starting to consider spending a day in the library to refresh his memory and learn some more.

From amidst the whales and their lovely song came another tune. Having worked his stone almost completely through the thick whale rib, he blew out the dust before looking up with a grin on his face. The wolf recognized her immediately as one of the first wolves he had befriended in the tribe. With Catherine's comment, he tried to remember the day he had met her - had she been humming? It seemed to be a popular thing to do around AniWaya, and Hemming often stumbled upon someone who was making music in some way. Either that, or he was the one was making music. Someone always seemed to be humming or whistling, anyway.

Smiling still, Hemming looked up, shielding his eyes with a hand. "Hi, Catherine," he replied, "I'm doing quite well! How about you?" The smile that would probably be permanent if faces actually did stick into an expression did not fade. "Why don't you come sit down? I'm making a shelf." He looked for a moment at all the things lying around him. Perhaps Catherine was good at sewing.

[/html]
[html]

ooc: Huahuahua XD Okay, then ^^

Catherine replied his smile with one of her own, relieved to be able to hide her rather blue expression when he asked her how she was doing. How to put in words? "As it seems, I got drunk, had sex and now I'm pregnant!"? Sure no! We're just fine! And glad you are okay too. She said with a cheerful voice. She knew she had used "we are", but it had a just reason.

He invited her to sit, and she nodded, imagining how she would sit without looking stupid. Even though she was in the middle of pregnancy, the grayish woman had problems with that. Taking a deep breath, she went right beside him, mentioning Bluma to lye down near them. Placing her back on the tree trunk, she slid down smoothly. It went better than she had thought! Still, when sitting, her rather... convex tummy would look bigger. There was no way he wouldn't notice, but she was learning to get used to that.

Trying to break the subject before it was mentioned, she looked with glittering eyes to those giant, white bones. Where on earth could have such a big animal?! In the moment, she could imagine no creature that big. A shelf, huh? Where are those from? She asked, feeling more curious every minute, and forgeting the real motive behind that question.

[/html]
[html]

So sorry for the delay! And your table is so cute n___n

Hemming did not think anything of the use of 'we', especially because the female always seemed to have other animals around her. Her horse seemed like a constant companion, Saw was typically there, and she had a bird, too. Anyway, the male wasn't usually aware of the subtle nuances of language. Though he appreciated a good story or sonnet, from every day conversation he expected little more than clarity. 'We' did not confuse the matter at all.

He smiled as he continued to work, his fingers smoothing the surface of the bone as Catherine sat down. It was busy work, yet relaxing at the same time. Hemming's attention was not drawn from the whale's ribs until the female commented and asked where they were from. Blowing out the hole he was kneading, with a flurry of dust, he smiled and turned to her. "These are a whale's ribs, I believe. A new friend and I found them at the beach," he replied, remembering with amusement the conditions under which they had been discovered.

Typically oblivious when engaged in some other task, Hemming didn't notice her bulging tummy, his eyes only flitting across the female's face to convey a smile. If he had noticed, he probably wouldn't have mentioned it yet, anyway. Conversations like those could get complicated, and he preferred to keep things simple.

[/html]
[html]

ooc: Nah, no worry about it, I've been out for quite some time, anyway XP It is cute, isn't it ^w^
Catherine saw that the male didn't meantion her belly, either from respect, or he didn't notice it at all. Either way, she was glad the subject hadn't came out. She didn't like talking about that at all.

he looked very entretained with his work, which worked just fine for her. She enjoyed to see him work. He explained those were whale rib bones, amazing her. Wow, such an acquisition, she would say. How did he and his friend found those, she would never know. Or she would, if the grayish woman asked, but she would rather stay with the thrill of not knowing.

My, my... whale's ribs? Gee, you don't see such things everyday... She mused, still surprised. He smiled back to her, and she replied with a much sweeter grin. It was amazing how much more she smiled when near Hemming. She must have smiled more during that simple meeting than during all the week. So odd...

[/html]
[html]

Sorry, again! D:

He grinned at her statement, pausing his work for a moment to look at her and reply, "No, you don't! It was a lucky find." Carving a joint, now, so that he could set the bones out horizontally to lie things across, he added, "I think they'll make a fine shelf, though, they must be sturdy to support such a giant creature! Wonderful beasts, whales are." Hemming grinned some more, scratching away at the bones carefully.

Remembering that he had a lot to sew, and wondering if Catherine wanted to keep her hands busy with something, as he often did, Hemming asked, "Do you like to sew? I have some shelf cover type things that could be done. Only if you'd like, of course." He smiled. It was not a request, but an offer, as he was completely happy to do them himself. It was always nice to sit around and work on something with someone else, though, and he always felt awkward when he was the one not doing anything. If Catherine was the same way, or if she really enjoyed sewing, Hemming would be glad to give her something to do.

[/html]