they say they ride horses!
[html]
300+

Lips pursed slightly and violet eyes drifted up, off beyond the depressingly stripped trees, thinking of stars and the sky. Had he noticed that the paler boy’s eyes too had drifted into the distance he would probably have offered a soft chuckle, but for now he busied himself with watching brilliant images pass behind his now closing eyelids. They opened immediately after when human understanding came into the picture. Ah, he had brushed similar subjects. He had brushed Hume shallowly when he had attempted to read into different beliefs and writings about the self and what it actually meant. He had been unable to understand the content and was now unable to do anything but recognize that name; though never before had he heard it being spoken. ”Hume.” he breathed silently, merely echoing Claudius. There was no smile on his features at the moment, but ah, Conor realized that he liked this other, less confident boy a lot. He did not know where to pick up a shiny red thread, for there was so much lovely knowledge out there. Instead of clinging to what he knew he chose to reach out for the unknown.
”Stars?” What made them twinkle and shine so beautifully? It was strange that he had not yet started to search for the answers. Too many questions, perhaps.

Worry in the male’s blue gaze was not appreciated, but compassion was something good and it suggested that the boy seemed to already sincerely care, if only just a little, about him. He liked that thought. ”He is a cruel man with blackness in his heart,” the younger Dahlian replied softly. Haku Soul was sick into his very core and his son knew this. What kind of sickness, he did not know, but he knew that something terrible moved behind those brilliant blue eyes. He knew that he should not be carrying this hatred in his heart, knowing that both his parents had a long line of issues that had ruined their son’s life, but it was hard. Too hard.
”He is only my father through flesh and blood though – he never cared for me or my other brother, Emwe. We grew up with absent and cruel parents.” Again he feared that his words would only seek pity from the other, but he knew that his life would have been better if Haku Soul had never been in his life after all. However, a loving mother and father were of course so much better than empty spaces in young hearts. At least Claudius had a mother. The offer in Claudius’ last words was touching though.
”I don’t think so, I do not belong here.” he gently protested, not knowing how else to reply.

[/html]
Derp, I didn't notice you'd replied, I suck. ;_;

WC: 382

[html]

Claudius remained quiet as Conor thought. The pale boy could see that his acquaintance was thinking long and hard about something, and he did not want to interrupt the other boy. Claudius suspected Conor was thinking about the things he'd read -- about Hume and other old humans, whose words were long and confusing. The title of the book was the only thing Claudius remembered, and even that he had forced himself to memorize it in case someone could explain it to him. However, it seemed as though Conor had just as poor an understanding of the book, for all he said was the man's name (and rather quietly, at that). A few moments later, Conor added another word, echoing Claudius again. Claudius nodded enthusiastically in reply, wondering what else he could say in reply. He was at a loss for words, so instead of saying anything, he simply waited patiently for Conor to finish with his thoughts.

Soon enough, Conor spoke again, but this time, it was not as welcome. And again, Claudius flinched reflexively in reply. He didn't like hearing that Claudius had such a mean father. In comparison, he wished Conor could have had a nice life like Claudius had. Attila had been mean and annoying, but it had not been wholly bad. Even if Claudius hadn't been able to run properly because of his one awkward leg, he'd had his sisters for a long time before they disappeared, and now he still had Tayui, Dawali and Addison. And perhaps now he would have Conor, too. He only wished Conor could have all of that.

“Maybe you could just... borrow him,” Claudius offered meekly. “Or, or... if both of your parents are... absent... maybe you could share my mother, too? You could visit. She's nice, really. She likes to read and tells me about all sorts of things. She wouldn't mind! Really! Maybe we could be like brothers,” Claudius offered again, a little more shyly this time. He didn’t want Conor to be sad anymore; not if he could help it. And he could! Maybe Conor could visit AniWaya and see Dawali or Tayui. And why not? There wasn’t anything wrong with it, was there? Claudius didn’t see why he couldn’t share his family, like he shared everything else.

[/html]
[html]
DBig GrinBig Grin:

He forced his face to keep up its current display, but his heart fell somewhat as the other boy spoke. Conior would not go as far as to think of Claudius as childish, but he though that he had definitely met a dreamer. There was no way he could “borrow” any man. He did not know this Dawali and he doubted that it would make a good first impression to go to him and ask him to play the role as his father. It was too late. As a child such things were possible, but Conor was about to grow up to be a man. His first birthday was coming up and by rank he already was adult, a full member of Dahlia de Mai. It was sort of adorable how Claudius tried though; the Dahlian could at least give the pale boy that.

Lilac eyes automatically moved to the ivory creature sitting by the tree when she was mentioned, but his gaze quickly fell to the forest floor. The smile on his face was sad now, for he could not change his parents. He should instead try to be content with what he already had, as he was certain that somewhere there was a soul far more miserable than him. ”Don’t think it works that way, Claudius.” It sort of warmed that the Aniwayan said that they could be like brothers. It was a kind thing to want. ”I can be your friend even if I cannot be your brother.” these words were meant to soothe and lift the falling atmosphere. It was great to tie bonds with members of other packs.

[/html]
[html]

“Oh,” Claudius replied, somewhat heartbroken. Although he had tried his best, he knew there would be no way for him to redeem himself in Conor's eyes. Sure, he had tried, but that wasn't what was at stake here: he had made a fool of himself. Conor offered to be Claudius's friend instead, but Claudius just shook his head. If Conor had offered before, perhaps he would have taken him up on his offer, but he didn't want a pity friend -- what he really wanted was a real friend. Addison might have been his friend, but even then, he'd still been just a little child. He'd needed his mommy to force him out of AniWaya to meet her, and even then, she'd stayed close by to make sure he didn't trip on a rock and die. He was useless, and he didn't want Conor to know that. He could stay holed up in his den for months, and perhaps then, Conor would forget about how dumb he was.

“T-t-t-t-hat's oh k-kay,” Claudius said at last, forcing the words out. Now that he was feeling so down about himself, he knew he wouldn't be able to say anything properly anymore. He should just go before Conor noticed how much worse his stutter got; he didn't want to embarrass himself further. “I s-s-houl-d-d-d g-go any...w-ways,” he stated. Then, added: “I-it was nice meet-i-i-i-ing y-you, C-c-c-on... C-c-con... Bye.” He could feel his lips trembling, but he didn't want to cry in front of the younger boy, so he just turned away and started off to where his mother was standing. Maybe she wouldn't notice, either.

[/html]
[html]
That last post of yours made me lol when I read it :]] Silly Claudius, ololol 300+ I guess this is the end of our super long and slow but very cool thread!

Lilac eyes grew larger as a rather peculiar change occurred within the other boy. Had the Dahlian youth come off as patronizing or arrogant in any way now? He got the feeling that he had done something horrible, though he was unable to guess what. The gold and cinnamon boy’s proposal had been true felt because he honestly liked the other boy despite some .. uhm, childish traits that had been revealed throughout the conversation. Silence seemed to slip in between the two forms, and Conor was about to question the bizarre change in the atmosphere before Claudius chose to speak again.

What came out of the other boy’s mouth were odd words and the boy with the lavender eyes could not keep from noticing the suddenly increased stuttering. Eyebrows were raised and openly wondering by the time the slightly older boy finished and turned with a bye. Conor was still at a loss, standing there with a rather blank expression on his face as the pale furred boy walked away from him. Then golden ears fell down against his skull and he remained silent as it was clear that Claudius was not waiting for a farewell as he walked towards the ivory adult. His eyes settled on the adult female and he lifted his arms slightly with palms turned upwards in a confused manner, trying to let her know that he did not understand why Claudius had changed so abruptly and walked off.

He was still standing on another pack’s lands, and suddenly he felt like a true intruder. He turned and stalked off quickly, disappearing into the scenery swiftly to get away from the suddenly too odd scene. His impression of the other boy was being picked at, because it had started well and ended so strangely. Conor had not done anything wrong.

[/html]
Almost!!! Tayui wants to say hi, is that okay? Big Grin Then Conor can go homeeee! (WC: 445)

[html]

Claudius faced disappointment on two fronts. On the one hand, he was disappointed in himself for being so stupid and did not want Conor to know. But on the other hand, he wanted Conor to chase after him and tell him it was all alright. But that was precisely why Conor had rejected his idea. He was too naiive and he'd never be able to exist in the same world as Conor. The other boy was too strong and too smart, and Claudius was still too young in his mindset to be of any use. Claudius knew this all too well now; he just didn't want Conor to notice. Maybe one day when he was older or smarter or stronger, they could be friends. But now, the pale boy just wasn't good enough, and he would carry that regret heavy in his heart.

He approached his mother, who gave him a warm smile. He leaned down and licked the top his head, adding in a quick, “you did well, sweetie,” before turning to greet Conor. Claudius stared off at his mother, wondering why she'd left him. He needed her, and now she was abandoning him! He plunked himself down and stared off at the two wolves forlornly. He wanted his mother now, not talking to the other boy! Conor said he didn't want to have Tayui as an almost-mom, so he couldn't have him! Claudius felt the familiar sting of jealousy welling up in his chest as he watched the two talking. He didn't want this anymore (it hurt too much).

Tayui approached the Conor with a friendly smile, trying to figure out why Claudius had returned on the verge of tears. Throughout the conversation, he had looked like he was enjoying talking to the other boy, but what went wrong? Regardless, she had wanted to greet the boy anyways.

“Hello,” she greeted the boy. She tilted her head to one side, regarding the boy with the lingering shadow of a smile. “I am Tayui Aston, Claudius's mother. Is there anything you needed? I hope everything went well with Claudius. He means well,” she added, not knowing if any of this would be applicable. She hoped that Claudius could start finding himself some friends soon, and if this required a push in the right direction from Tayui, she would certainly do it. Although she had wanted all of her children to grow and discover themselves, it seemed as though for Claudius, all of the freedom she had afforded him only left him cooped up in their den reading books. He was a quiet, but nonetheless well-meaning boy. She only hoped for the best for him.

[/html]
[html]
FINE! Jeez fine dont let Conor exit the thread! D8< 300+

Before Conor turned around and walked home to his Dahlia de Mai, the woman approached him. The male was already halfway turned to retreat on tense feet, but he paused when her destination was obvious. Compassionate eyes took in her bi-coloured gaze and he allowed that usual, polite smile to enter the face that moments before had held fine lines of disappointment. Her voice was soft and kind and his smile grew somewhat as sincerity leaked into it. He paused for a moment, trying to remember exactly what had been his intention when he had first come here. Ears flickered backwards as the young boy though, but he let it go without much thought, for it had not been important. ”I’m Conor Soul, and I was just exploring,” he explained softly and let his white tipped tail wave in a friendly manner. Maybe he had even found a friend, but he was too puzzled to know for certain. The boy had left in an odd way. Light eyes slowly wandered to the boy standing left where the female had been and he let his hand rise again, tried to keep up the friendliness that had dominated most of his short time here.

”Your son seems like a very nice person – I think I said something to offend him, but I’m not sure what,” The Dahlian looked at the adult with a face that spoke of innocence. He could not guess what had triggered the pale Aniwayan boy. ”It was nice to meet you both, but I should really get home now,” he then added, eager to leave this scene and let the pale boy get his mother back. The gold and cinnamon coated youth did not know the light hued male, but he was under the impression that Claudius was upset in some way, and thought it would be best of he exited swiftly. ”Please tell Claudius that I will visit him again soon.” Those last words were said on impulse, but now when they were said he knew that he would keep his word and visit the strange boy again at a later date.

[/html]
B-b-b-b-ut Tayui wanted to meet him. Sad So ok he can go now!!! (WC: 303)

[html]

Tayui nodded quietly in reply. She did not want to keep this boy too long; certainly, his parents or packmates would be expecting his return. Tayui had not been able to hear most of the conversation, but it was just as well; Claudius needed something to hold on to, even if it had ended somewhat badly. Tayui took a moment to consider the implications of Conor's name -- he was a Soul, much like her own son. Tayui did not know if Colibri was still around, or if Conor was a grandson of one of Colibri's children, but his surname meant that he was family. Even if Tayui would never recognize Haku as the children's father, be it for reasons of legitimacy or parenting rights, she could still see the blood that now linked her to the Soul family. That would be good enough. She would never help the monster, but if Claudius liked Conor, then it was good enough reason to ignore his relations to Haku. It had been good enough for her to ignore her children's relations to Haku, too, and she was doing fine.

“He'll be pleased to see you again,” she replied. She inclined her head slowly, then nodded it once. He had to get going and she had an incredibly sensitive son to console. Although she was curious to know why the meeting had ended so abruptly — and in tears — she knew it was probably one of Claudius's fears cropping up again. A fear of males, a fear of rejection, a fear of looking stupid; he had confessed many of them to her. There were others, such as his fear of relying on her too much, that he had not confessed, but that she suspected nonetheless. Perhaps Conor could bring out the bravery she knew her son possessed.

[/html]