sever the shame we have come to reclaim.
[html]

http://sleepyglow.net/rp/rurik/rurik_bottledrage.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 245px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;">

This could be a good place to end it, I think. :B Word Count:

Even if Cambria's mom was taken, that wouldn't put a stick in his friendship with the younger Marino. Even if Rurik had never been too fond of puppies before, having his own and raising them had at least made it far easier to interact with other canines' puppies. Back before he'd raised his own kids, he might have said something accidentally-on-purpose mean to Cambria to get her to go away, so annoyed was he by youngsters. It was strange how Rurik had changed over his lifetime; though he was still very much happy-go-lucky and free, he was far more down to earth and practical than he had been once upon a time. He'd been a dreamer once upon a time, and now the harsh reality of the world had set in. Perhaps that had also twisted his perception of puppies; their innocence and energy made them easy to love, and it was far easier to see the world in a better light when surrounded by happy puppies. He was remembering when Anatoliy, Silas, Liliya, and Lizaveta had been young. Liza was in the ground now, sadly, and she would not grow up with her siblings.

"Hey, with mama's permission I'd hang out for the whole day," the Russian said, grinning. He really had enjoyed Cambria's company, and learning languages was just fun for the silver-furred werewolf regardless of who was doing the teaching. "She seems like a sweet kid. Sometimes children just need to get comfy in their own skin before they can be comfy in the world," the Russian said, pretending for a moment he was philosophical. It was just true that he had seen the same thing manifest in Liliya. She had been an uncomfortable and awkward kid around pretty much everyone from six to twelve months, and now it seemed that thanks to passing her yearling mark, she was finally somewhat comfortable with herself, able to break just a little bit loose from the thin line she'd toed her whole life, separating comfortable from uncomfortable, that tiny buffer zone which she would not cross. Now Liliya was growing in leaps and bounds, her personality shining through in ways Rurik had never seen before.

The sable wolf's words were at once comforting and hilarious to the werewolf. True, he was not the biggest fan of fish to eat, but he'd heard that particular expression before, and he found it rather amusing when applied to his own particular situation. He slapped his knee and gave a rather appreciative laugh, nodding his silvery head. "To be truthful I ain't too worried about it," the wolf admitted. He wasn't worried about admitting his sexual nature and his many conquests now that he knew there was virtually no chance of hooking up with Savina—and it wasn't like he was the type to lie about it to a woman, but he was still a man, and he was crafty enough not to broadly publicize these things beforehand. On the whole, Rurik was a good guy—he didn't have to try, either. It was simply in his nature to be a kind fellow, and if it got him down a few metaphorical pants in the process, all the better for him, right?

The Crimson Dreams wolf spoke, extending an invitation Rurik wished he could reciprocate. Sadly, he didn't have pack territory to offer Savina hospitality in—still, if she dropped by the family hotel, it wasn't as if he'd throw her back out onto the street. A pang of guilt struck him as he thought of Syemv for the first time in a long time, once again recalling the unfortunate fate of the pack. It had continued in some form in Aremys, true, but that pack was merely descendant of Syemv, not Syemv itself. Still, he concealed this rare downer moment with a smile. "Thanks much. I shall certainly keep it in mind for the future," the werewolf said. He had every intention of heading over there one of these days soon; he didn't like to let friendships wither, and now that he was close with two members of that particular pack, it seemed like a good idea to scope out the rest of it. Every group was a potential home, after all.

<style type="text/css">
.rurik-bottledrage b{font-weight:bold; color:#BC2B26; letter-spacing:1px; font-family:trebuchet ms, sans-serif; font-size:13px;}
.rurik-bottledrage p{text-indent:35px; padding:0px 15px 15px 15px; margin:0px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Sounds good to me :3 SoSuWriMo 703

Even if Rurik had shown some interest in her she did not let it deter her from wanting to continue being his friend. She had plenty of male friends and she wanted to count the Russian among them. Kansas was not prone to jealousy and neither was she (with the exception of his adopted sister). The love and trust between them was too strong to be broken by such a trivial thing as a friendship with a member of the opposite sex. They were each allowed to be friends with whoever they so chose and she knew neither of them would be happy if things were otherwise. She did not wish to control his life and he did not wish to control her’s. They respected each other to the utmost degree and as long as Rurik knew where the line was and wouldn’t try any funny business then they would have no problems. Savina didn’t see him as being so devious as to go after someone else’s mate once that fact had been established.

She grinned warmly at his admission. “Permission granted. What kind of mother would I be to refuse my daughter such good company?” If he could get Cambria to open up and teach her new things then she would be a fool to not want them to interact again. If it made her daughter happy then she was more than willing to oblige. That was what parents wanted after all, for their children to be happy. The woman nodded at his wise words. “Yes, I do believe that is a large part of it. For all her shyness, she’s incredibly mature for her age. I think once she’s comfortable with herself she’ll be better with the world around her that she doesn’t know.” She refrained from going into the accident. Honestly she didn’t want to venture into that dark territory and she doubted that Cambria would appreciate her mother divulging such information to her new friend. The young girl didn’t like talking about it and she couldn’t blame her for that. It was an unfortunate event that was better left in the past.

The Dreamer wasn’t entirely sure what Rurik found so amusing about her statement, but she wasn’t going to pry. If he wanted to share his reasons than no doubt he would. “Well, that’s good. Worrying about it can drive a person crazy, not to mention have a dreadful effect on their self image.” The words were said with humor, but the light of truth in them was hard to ignore. Until Kansas, no male had ever shown any interest in her and for a long time she had thought there was something wrong with her. She had thought she must surely be unattractive. Her mate had done much to brush away those old doubts and concerns and now she did not worry. He thought that she was beautiful and so she couldn’t care less what anyone else thought.

The Commander didn’t care if he could not extend a similar offer to her. This wasn’t a trade, it was a show of her trust and fondness for him. The winter could be tough enough on pack wolves, not to mention wolves who were out on their own. The last thing she wanted to learn was that he had demised in the cold due to something that she and her pack could have provided him. “You are more than welcome. I hope you do. Company, food, shelter from the cold, whatever you need, just call for me.” She needed to be cautious of who she handed out such offers to, but she did not fear the sailor taking advantage of her hospitality. Such a thing seemed as if it would go against his nature.

While it wasn’t late yet, it would take a while for her to make the trek back to Crimson Dreams’ lands. “As much as love for our conversation to continue, I suppose I should be headed home. It was lovely to meet you Rurik and I do hope to see you again soon.” Savina bowed her head slightly and gave him one last warm smile before turning to descend the stairs of the large vessel.

[/html]