sleeping with the enemy
Firefly had heard the news of what had happened between Jac and Heath. She had not been pleased at all seeing how she'd realized how much Ruri had liked him and she could most definitely tell it was probably heading well past the point of friendship. Jac's actions had pricked her like a thorn and she'd meant to tell the king just how she felt about his boyish notions and self-centered ways. The silvery gold woman had a mind of her own and when something rubbed her wrong she balked and would put her paw down very mulishly.

It was growing near dark and she knew already that Jac had yet to return to his home. She'd been waiting for quite some time in the brisk chilly air before giving up and opening one of the windows to climb inside. She knew she could very well have went through the front door but she didn't exactly want to announce to the world that she was there, she'd rather the king find out about her little midnight rendezvous when he was already in the house, not outside.

She'd known from previous visits to his home just where his bedroom was though she'd never ventured into the room before. Tonight was different and the Sadira woman moved quickly to his chambers. She sniffed around the room a bit before climbing up onto the bed and laying upon her belly. She would just wait for the king to return... but she was having a hard time keeping her eyes open. Her thoughts cut in two by a jaw cracking yawn she decided that she'd just rest for a moment, but sleep claimed her too quickly as she wrapped up in the soft comfortable blankets.
[html]
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/ ... table1.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
WC: 378 // epic Miyu fail!

Darkness had fallen by the time the king swaggered back, ready to kick back and relax. His filly, Rue, had found a staunch companion in Finn's pet deer, and the unlikely duo had been perfectly content playing with each other from dawn 'til dusk. Jacquez felt the familiar creeping surliness, the undeniable jealousy of being pushed aside for someone else. He was supposed to be the center of everyone's universe. Why had this changed? What gave his subjects the right to push him aside and spent their time fawning over each other? He jutted his jaw and nudged the door open, stomping into the gloomy interior.

This small shanty had not seen much use, and as such, cobwebs and dust had gathered in the corners, the floorboards creaked in protest, the door was stiff on its hinges. He had adopted it as his own when the pack first formed, and then quickly realized that he spent more time wandering outside and brewing moonshine in the grotto than he did in this house. He returned there every once in a while, mainly to keep up appearances when he needed to meet with other packmates, but hadn't used it regularly until recently. Now that the cold weather was setting in earnest, he had to have a place with a roof or he felt he would freeze to death. The Chien Hotel had been his first thought, but his packmates came and went through there frequently, and he could always visit them himself if he wanted their company. Or command them to visit him here. Yes, that sounded better. He was still in charge here. He would gather the fraying threads of his kingdom, and twist them back into a shape he recognized.

Letting his triumphant mood carry him, the cocky man entered his bedchamber brusquely and dropped atop the straw mattress, landing on something more warm and fluffy than he had anticipated. "Hn?" he grunted, pushing himself awkwardly into a sitting position with one arm. Firefly... Had she come to warm his bed for him? At last, the seeds he had sown bore fruit. Something was going right. He let his hand rest comfortably on her shoulder as he snaked his way beneath the blankets, reveling in the wonderful surprise.

Table by Sara-joe!
[/html]
Firefly's dreams had been a troubled mixture of the events she'd put herself through recently. She was not a timid woman and her hotheaded temper seemed to get the best of her at times. Though she'd been quite risky in her ventures she'd still made it back to the pack alive and that was all that mattered. The silvery gold woman had never really expected to sleep so deeply or not to wake at the sound of Jac's paws upon the floor but somehow she'd managed to sleep through it all snuggled down deep in the blankets. The only thing that had even begun to wake the woman was the sudden weight that had sat upon her, and even then waking was a chore.

By the time she'd opened her eyes and realized what was going on the king had already slipped beneath the covers and was snuggling quite close to the wolfen girl. Groaning to herself she should have realized that the king's mind would go straight to the other uses of a bed and a fine woman in the covers. Twisting around in the blankets and placing her hands between the king and herself she pushed back away from him as she remembered what had sparked her absurd idea of coming to his home.

"Only you would think my arrival here would be for that Jacquez Trouillefou!" she huffed in disgust. Shaking her head she wagged a finger in his face as she propped herself up in the bed with her other arm. Her emerald eyes sparkled with anger as she burst. "You know you're some kind of self centered selfish bastard to think that you can do the things you've been up to lately and not get what you deserve.." she said hotly before adding. "Which is not me in your bed." He had done it now, let the fierce woman too close, now he was going to get burned, king or no king.
[html]
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/ ... table1.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
WC: 319

Firefly awoke in a flurry of blankets and hands and struggling, anger flashing in her brilliant green eyes. Jacquez sighed, pushing himself back up to a seated position. His flat black eyes watched nonplussed as she snarled at him, hot angry words tumbling over themselves in her eagerness to set him straight. "Petite, petite, du calme, it was surely my mistake to assume you had come here for a pleasant purpose. Do enlighten me, what have I done wrong now?" He pursed his lips impishly, feigning innocence merely to annoy her. To be fair, she did get angry so very often, and about the smallest things, too...

Perhaps this was about Jontae, and the brief conversation they had in the windswept field. He didn't think Firefly particularly cared about Heath getting kicked out. They weren't friends, were they? What else would set her off... maybe one of his recent conquests? Although if that were the case, jealousy wouldn't have made her stop him moments earlier. Firefly did like to tease, though, especially when it came to the mutual attraction between them. His mind had already wandered far from the original accusation; he was quite easily distracted.

The king smiled fearlessly at his packmate, even having the audacity to let his eyes rove about her voluptuous body. She had been pretty from an early age, but she had grown curves in all the right places since their sailing days. "Ah, so what must I do to deserve you in my bed?" he drawled, fingers straying to a lock of her coppery hair. This must be some game she was playing, a way to get out her frustrations and pretend she was in control. He was willing to play along, if the end result was the same. Always single-minded when it came to a pretty face, Firefly was going to have to try harder to get through to the lascivious dog...

Table by Sara-joe!
[/html]
ooc: OMG.. I can't stop laughing. Jac is so horrid.

IC

If there was one thing that Jacquez knew how to do it was feed the flames of her anger. Emerald orbs flashed dangerously once more as he began to speak, trying to act as though he was innocent and sweet. She would be buying none of that now. Her orbs narrowed as he had the nerve to ask just what he had done. The woman shook her head in disgust as she huffed. "What do you think you've done wrong lately?" She could think of a whole string of things but there was one that stood out nice and clear in her mind. How greedy the man was to believe that he could dictate Ruri's life and rule her as though she was a slave. Her fingers itched to strike the man full in the face as her eyes smoldered.

There was a moment of silence between them as she could hear nothing but her blood pounding through her veins, it taking a moment for her to realize that Jacquez attention had already seemingly found another place to wonder. When his eyes began to roam and found themselves upon her form she didn't even stop to think as she did indeed attempt to lay her palm across the king's cheek. "You chauvinistic pig!" She snapped, her other hand coming up quickly to flick the one that was playing about her face. He didn't seem to be bothered in the least by her anger and he should be, at least she believed so. Looking from the inside out she had no idea how often her little temper got the best of her and just how silly it became after a while. It probably would have amused her as well if it had been another throwing the hissy.

She growled as she realized what the last words he'd spoken were. Her eyes narrowing again as she just dared him to take another step further. "There will be little chance of that if you continue to walk the line you've been walking!" she snapped as she turned her face away from the man. Why must everything be a game with him she thought, she knew she had only herself to blame for that, having played and flirted her way around with the king. She jerked her head back quickly as she shot back, "They day you start wanting pups underfoot will be the day you deserve me in your bed!" Knowing that that would probably douse his desire for the time being she glared some more at the male, wondering if she had to beat him upside the head with an iron skillet to knock some sense into his airy little head.
[html]
WC: 308 // I bet Jac loves Firefly's current avatar! ;D

"Are you implying that I do things wrong?" Jacquez retorted, stalling for time. He just couldn't figure out what had set her off now... The silvery werewolf was huffy and self-righteous like a woman scorned, but he had not committed any crimes against her that he could recall. He hadn't even been sleeping around that much. The dog smiled disarmingly, wondering if she was still playing around. "Or... have I been a bad boy?"

Without warning, her palm struck the side of his face, stinging his cheek with the ferocity of the blow. It was not the first time a lady had slapped him, and it would surely not be the last, but he was mildly surprised that Firefly had dared to do so. His flat black gaze lingered on her face, her muzzle contorted with genuine anger, eyes narrowed to angry slits. "This little firefly has a sting," he mentioned carelessly, not bothering to rub his face or move away. She should know by now a little pain would only interest him more. There was always angry sex to look forward to.

His lip curled slightly at the mention of pups, knowing know that his fling with Susquehanna had resulted in her pregnancy. Stupid women and their fertility. Didn't they know that it ruined the fun for him? No man in his right mind would ever hope to see a pretty girl all fat and bloated because there were larvae growing inside of her. Or whatever the word was...

His mood effectively soured, the capricious king slid off the mattress, standing abruptly to pace about the room. "You seem to think pretty highly of yourself," he growled lightly. "But I will take the bait -- tell what line I have been crossing now, ma demoiselle." He arched his eyebrow sardonically, clearly meaning the last part in sarcasm.

Table by Sara-joe!
[/html]
Ooc: of course! It amuses me. I want to make more of them.. but they aren’t so cute when it’s a boy’s butt.. or maybe I just need practice on drawing boy’s butts. Big Grin And Jac is so horrible. Sosu:581

Firefly’s eyes sparkled as it seemed that Jacquez had finally begun to understand what she meant, but it only took seconds for her to realize that he was just using his entrance as another ploy to play out his never ending game with the ladies. She growled softly and turned her face away from him as she huffed. ”I’m not the one who suggested you do things wrong, but since you’ve brought it up, yes. You’re a horrible excuse for a leader and you don’t seem to know how to keep your sword sheathed!” her eyes darted back to the man at her last words as she straightened up her frame and glared some more.

She was just daring him to try and reprimand her for stepping out of line. She had been right along with the others when they had chosen him as their king, and Firefly had known all along how foolish and irresponsible he could be. She had helped create this mess and now she was stuck trying to find a way to fix it. Her fingers itched to slap him again as she spat. ”You’re almost just as bad as Haku!” She knew the insult was a little harsh, Jacquez had never killed another just because of some minor difference, though their eagerness to spread their seeds without thought to what might grow was almost identical. She raised her head proudly and threw out a little remark as she watched him as he muttered about the treatment she was giving him. ”you’re damn right there, and that was only a taste of it.” She didn’t even realize his mind once more was trailing off on another dirty little thought.

When the king began to stalk the room and suddenly growled at her she only smirked and cocked her head to the side with a raised brow. ”Should I not, when it appears I have kings chasing after me?” It was his own fault she thought so highly of herself, when the king chased after her like she was something to be desired she took it in mind that she had every right to be the top dog along the bitches, and sometimes it took a bitch to put the boys in their place. She had no problem doing that, as the king now knew if he’d ever forgotten.

She shook her head at Jacquez with disgust as she crossed her arms and frowned. It seemed he really had no clue what he had done this time. Just pathetic she thought as she crawled to the edge of the bed and shook her head at his antics. ”You’re a selfish, self absorbed ass, thinking that you had any right in choosing who Ruri loves. She is not yours to control and she deserves more than what you’d ever give her!” She glared at him as she went on. ”Only a chauvinistic bastard would think he had could treat his charges as though they were cattle that he could breed as he pleased!” She narrowed her eyes as she added. ”Ruri doesn’t need you to make a life of her own Jac, and you need to learn to respect that!” He had been the one to let her speak. He could have thrown her out on her ass and let her howl and scream until she grew fed up with him and left, but he had allowed her to talk and now the cat was out of the bag.
[html]
WC:446 // Oh my! Draw a boy's butt, and there might be something else visible from that angle... xDDD

Jacquez continued to smile at her feeble attempts to upset him. She had tried this time and time again -- if she was in a bad mood, she wanted everyone else around her to be equally moody. "Why waste my talents?" was his simple reply to her 'sword' comment.

"Apparently I am better looking -- I don't need to rape anyone to get women," he replied cockily, tilting his head at a rakish angle. Haku Soul was so far below him, that blue-eyed bastard was barely on his radar. If they were ever to meet, sure, the king would not hesitate to crush the wolf's skull. He had enough reason to consider him an enemy. But a rival? Not in the least.

Then, knowingly or not, Firefly struck the one raw nerve that could ever make Jacquez fly off the handle. He had already split his knuckles open on the face of the punk that dared ask for Ruri's hand, and that mangy coywolf was lucky he was only outcast, not skinned alive. The hair on the nape of Jac's neck prickled and rose dangerously as Firefly went on, her sharp voice piercing him with every word she uttered. Then the king roared in inarticulate fury, smacking his arm against the foot of the bed, sending the furniture skidding across the floor with Firefly still on top.

"Ruri has a life because of me!" he spat, livid. If she hadn't twisted her ankle chasing after Heath, the monarch would have surely hunted the fleeing mongrel down and made him pay for his transgression. "I have every right to choose who she loves, how she lives, whether or not she continues to breathe! She is mine, and you're a stupid bitch for thinking you had any influence over her, or me!" His handsome features were twisted dark with rage, fangs bared and ruff bristling.

"Any other packmate can go rut in a ditch with whomever they choose, but they lay a hand on Ruri and I rip it off and beat them with it. That's how it's always been, and nothing will change that!" His tail lashed in agitation, his chest heaving raggedly. He wasn't one to beat women, but Firefly was suddenly pressing her luck, needling him this far. He felt like he was about to suffocate, imagining his beloved ward being violated in such a way, romantic or not. It was an extreme double standard, that he could mate with anything that moved but she could not even have a crush. But his mind saw things in black and white, right or wrong, and it was wrong for Ruri to lose any of her innocence.

Table by Sara-joe!
[/html]
Firefly snorted at Jacquez words and spat back. ”Proud to sow the seed but hesitant to reap the harvest?” She glared at the man from the bed as he paced. She really wished that he would just admit his faults but it seemed that the king would never admit he was wrong. She felt her anger blossom inside her as he went on.

So he didn’t hav e to result to rape, that wasn’t what she had meant. She narrowed her eyes and growled, ”No, but you’re going to end up with just as many bastard litters running about at the rate you’re going.” She huffed as she crossed her arms and stuck her nose to the air like any right and proper snob. ”Not even man enough to want a thing to do with your own children.” He was a chauvinistic pig and she knew it, it probably wouldn’t even faze him at being told he wasn’t man enough to care for his own brood. She knew that much, Jontae ran about lost after him but he didn’t seem to even know he existed.

She had went on though, ranting about Ruri and not even knowing that she’d finally found the king’s weak spot until he bellowed in rage and fury, lashing out to send the bed skidding across the room, the Sadira woman still poised at the edge of the bed, moving along with it. She snarled at his childish temper tantrum as she rose to her feet and strolled across the space between them as he ranted and raved. So he could scream and curse, she could too and she’d show him just that.

The anger that seemed to radiate off the king only seemed to fuel the fire that roared inside her as she reared back and let him have it again, her hand snaking out to slap some sense in the man as she screamed back. ”RURI can be thankful for her life but that doesn’t mean you OWN her!” Her fangs glittering in the dull light as she raged on. ”She will hate you if you try and control her and you will lose what little love she might have for you!” She couldn’t believe the bastard was this blind by his jealousy to even think that he had any hold on the woman.

Her hands trembled in rage as she snarled at the king, ”Don’t even DARE to think that you can choose if she lives or dies! IF you CARED at all for her you would let her lead her own life!” Her eyes flashed as she growled, ”You bring Heath back! If you don’t I’ll tell the whole pack what you’ve done. We’ll see if they’ll want to follow such a ham-fisted bastard that thinks he owns a child and can treat her like a toy! RURI is not a toy, she’s a living breathing being capable of making her own choices!” Firefly stepped back from the king and glared. ”She will make her own choices no matter what you say or do. You WILL lose her if you don’t accept her.” Firefly feared what would happen if Jacquez didn’t try and accept Ruri’s choices as a woman and as a pack mate. She didn’t know what would happen next but Jacquez would lose her support and possibly his best friends if he continued down this hell bend path.
[html]
WC: 393

"Women can raise their little piglets if they want to keep them, but what do I have to do with that? I doubt most mothers would like me teaching their offspring to live the way I do," he added with a wicked grin, knowing Firefly could hardly dispute that. If he did have 'bastard litters running about', their dams had never sought him out before. Even Jontae had not been purposely dumped here, since Rogue supposedly had every intention of raising the furball. Perhaps it was a wolf thing, believing in monogamy or whatever it was she was preaching about. He was 'man enough' to stay out of their lives and let them make their own decisions.

Her quick hand darted out to slap him again, but he wasn't having it this time. The king's one arm snaked out as a blur, roughly catching her wrist and pulling upwards, keeping Firefly off-balance. "It means exactly that," he hissed through clenched teeth, his arm vibrating with the effort to not throw her back onto the bed. Deep within his mind, he knew things were different here, that one could not rule by fear and violence alone and expect to maintain followers, but it was difficult to curb the old habit. He had already struck Heath for disobeying and betraying him, or so he saw it. Firefly's hot temper and lashing tongue were normally something he could brush off and ignore, but this time he was just barely hovering below black-out fury, and it was difficult to resist slapping her back.

"I don't 'try to control her', I do control her! Ever since her whore of a mother dumped her to die in the streets, she has been mine and mine alone. You think she resents me for keeping her safe? You think she'll hate me for giving her security, that the 'right thing to do' is letting that alcoholic enculé coywolf feel her up and tell her she belongs to him now?" His voice was little more than a guttural snarl, gritted out mere inches from Firefly's angry face. He released her arm abruptly, narrowing his seething black eyes into a sneer. "Tell anyone in the pack, I don't care! My word is final! If she makes her own choices, why hasn't she left to follow him? Because she knows I'm right, that's why!"

Table by Sara-joe!
[/html]
Firefly couldn’t help it as she felt her heart beating faster. She narrowed her eyes and growled in disgust as Jacquez spat out nothing but shit. She could not figure out how in the hell his mind worked. She narrowed her eyes as she screamed. ”Honestly, are you that damn simpleminded that you actually believe that! You’re hopeless Jacquez.” She crossed her arms before her as she tilted her head upwards, huffing as she spat. ”Perhaps they would rather not have their hearts broke with hearing the truth that their children’s father is worthless except for a good romp in the night.” She could feel the disgust rising in her as her blood boiled. How in the hell had she ever thought he was worth something, if he was too mule-headed to admit to the truth of his ways.

She had not expected him to stop her from slapping him but when he grabbed her arm and pulled up, jerking her towards him she pelted him with the other fist, knowing he could do little to stop her. It wasn’t like her pathetic attempts would amount to much as she wailed away at his check, the fire alight in her eyes as she snarled at the man as he coolly spoke as though Ruri was his slave. Her voice rose sharply as she snarled. ”You’re a fool to believe trust is the same as ownership!” She tried to slap him again with her free hand as she hissed. ”She will come to hate you if you continue, can you live with her hate?” She tried to pull free of his grip as she growled.

Her laughter was bitter at the words he spoke, such a fool to hate a man for the same things he did. ”Are you jealous because he’s just like you or because she loves him for it..” her words were cruel but she pressed on. ”Are you jealous that she’s been yours this long and never loved you like she loves him. Are you upset that you’re not the center of attention anymore in her world?” She was a bitch and she knew it but it felt good to laugh at his foolish temper tantrum as she let out her anger on the man who deserved it for once.

Her eyes were bright with emotion as he moved on, dropping her finally as she fell back against the bed and glared at the bastard. ”How do you know she hasn’t left already?” She grinned evilly as she pushed him further. ”You’re not hovering over her now.. She might be escaping in the night to chase after a man who actually cares about her.” She pushed herself off the bed and closed the short distance between them as she lifted her chin to gaze up at the king, her words cool as she reached up with her hands to drag her fingers through his mane and pull him closer as she spoke boldly. ”Why not take me instead..” She had dodged his advances long even though she harbored her own feeling for the king. She had never really wanted any reason to get into another hopeless relationship with a man she knew could not be faithful but if it would free Ruri to follow her heart and sooth Jacquez’s temper to have someone to take his fury out of who could and would twist the violence with pleasure she would. She didn’t know if he would give up that easily but she would try. ”Let Ruri go this once and do what you’d like with me.” Any other time she would have killed anyone to suggest that she surrender herself for another, but she would no see Jacquez tear the pack up over something so foolish.
[html]
WC:505 // er, better slap an [m] tag on this! :o

"Hate to break it to you, cherie, but I hardly think that's news to anyone. I am a king and a lover, not some petit putain that likes to play house with mommy and her babies." Jacquez drawled cockily, knowing it would only anger her further. She squirmed and struggled, pelting his face with her little hands as though she could make him let go. He smirked at her, the stinging sensation encouraging him to squeeze her wrist a little harder before he dropped it. "She will never hate me. She can't." Firefly laughed then, a harsh, bitter crowing. Her next flurry of attacks struck an unexpected chord.

His lips parted, but no words issued forth; the question had stumped him. He didn't expect Ruri to love him like that, did he? He hadn't any expectations when he first let her follow him those years ago, first started feeding her and encouraging her to speak. She... she was too young for him to consider attractive, and as she grew up, she still spent much of her time on all fours. It was when she came here, to be a founder of the kingdom, that she began to really discover who she was and what she could do on her own. Jealous... Jealousy was the right term. He had always been her everything. If she had a need, she always came to him. Maybe he had thought... that if she was looking for a man in her life... it should have been him, as it always had been. Because he had never said 'no' to her requests before...

Jacquez shook his head, trying to brush aside the uncomfortable realization. Firefly's vivid green eyes seemed to bore straight through him -- damn woman was perceptive when it came to shit about feelings. "Jealousy has nothing to do with it," he lied, his voice a low growl. "He's just not good enough for her. I think she's making a mistake, and I'm trying to..." He halted as she continued, having regained control of the argument again.

His fringed ears flattened slowly back against his skull, eying her suspiciously as she suddenly changed her tack. He was still breathing hard, chest rising and falling in place as he hovered at the mattress's edge, hand shaking slightly from the pent-up energy. "You..." he exhaled, uncertain of what he wanted to ask, but undeniably interested in her proposal. It was an abrupt shift in gears, the sort that appealed to his short attention span, and Firefly was oh so tempting. He gritted his teeth, tail still lashing behind him as her fingers raked through his fur, her honeyed voice stirring his desire. Jacquez finally grunted in agreement, a surly expression twisting his russet features. He needed to drown himself in something, needed to use this passion desperately, and he either needed to kill her or fuck her brains out to do so. His arm caught her roughly around the waist, pressing her curves against him before he could change his mind.

Table by Sara-joe!
[/html]
She watched him as it seemed that something finally dawned upon his face. She thought for a moment that he would finally give in but the moment never lasted. She let her eyes flicker across his face as he spoke, her ears pinning back as she smiled sadly. ”But it’s everything Jac..” The fury at the king still boiled in her blood but she knew now that it was pointless to argue this way and she had nothing left to deal with but the one thing that rang through as a weakness and yet she used it as a weapon, as her strength. She moved in, smooth and strong like whiskey as she placed herself in the position to strike a bargain.

She could see the array of mixed emotion in his face as she suggested her gambit. She wasn’t so sure of what he thought of it as she crooned and murmured into the silky fur that settled at the base of his throat. Her breath was warm, her words silky as she could feel his body change slightly. One word hovering in the air as she tilted her chin up, her emerald eyes downcast as she whispered softly. ”I will..” She let her hands dance through his hair, tracing along his throat as her fingers splayed across his chest. Her nails digging into his flesh slighting as she let her fingers play across his abdomen and linger upon his hipbones. She got no farther as he pulled her in roughly, her body pressed against his as she knew right away that if his primal guttered agreement hadn’t spoke first she would have known by now just what he wanted.

Firefly had signed up to be his plaything for all that he wanted. She knew rumor of the games he liked to play and from their own flirting she knew the spice he liked in his fantasies. Her emerald eyes lifted as she untangled her arms from the close quarters between their bodies, one hand tangled once more in his mane and forced his head down as she couldn’t stop her breath from coming raggedly. ”I will.” she confirmed once more before her fangs nipped lightly at his neck. She had signed over to him and yet as much as she had tried to avoid landing herself in this position she knew she wanted it just as much as she could feel he did as well. She felt the fluttered response from her own body as the reckless thrill of knowing what came next yet not knowing how things would turn. Her free hand lingered about his thigh, teasing at the flesh and fur with tiny traces.

Her claws drifting through and making patterns on his lower body, knowing she would drive him in a frenzy soon enough, just adding fuel to his temper. She knew there was no backing out now, not that she believed she could if she’d even cared to. A tiny sly smile played upon his lips as she watched the pulse beating along his neckline, pressing her body closer to his, arching catlike against his frame, waiting to see when the dam would break.