summer sings in me no more
[html]
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... /xeris.png); background-position: top; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:8px; padding-top:70px;">
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... are_80.png);">
ooc: In Xer and Pendzez's cabin.

A chilling rain shower was passing over the Valley territory. It was times like this when Xeris was thankful for the human's cabins that they had left behind. She sat alone, in her optime form, on the human's bed, her body showing the changes of upcoming motherhood more than ever. At the moment, she felt rather frustrated. The weather outside was cold--surely a sign of winter approaching--but despite that, the cabin still held little warmth. If Pendzez had been with her he could have started a fire, but Xeris honestly didn't know how to do so. It was difficult to start a fire as a regular wolf and thus none of the Heritage Retreat wolves bothered to learn how. Even now, when she had the advantage of thumbs, she lacked the materials to build a proper fire.

Ehno had told her that the winters around here were particularly cold. She was used to that; it got dreadfully cold back at the Retreat during the wintertime. It was the pups that she was worried about. They were due almost any day now. Xeris had seen newborn puppies before, and knew that they were very weak and susceptible. Surely the chill of winter would not be good for them. As parents, Xeris and Pendzez would need to do all that they could to protect their children; but how were they to keep them warm and safe with no fire if Pendzez was gone...?
[/html]
Damascus shivered in the cold as he sniffed the air again. This was the place. He had to really work to track Xeris, especially in the rain. His nose led him to a small cabin, probably human made. If he was lucky, this was the place, and he would be able to keep warm inside... he still had no real place to call home yet. And he needed to get out of the rain.

He busted in, not sure if there were any customs of entering a private dwelling, and the first thing he noticed was Xeris in her optime form. He watched her for a moment, then he remembered the cold and saw the empty fireplace. "No fire?" he said, shocked. "We will have to fix that." he closed the door behind him and brushed a few droplets of rain of his gray and black coat of fur. He took off the pack he carried and set it on the floor. "I didn't think you would mind some company." He looked around the room as he searched through his bag. "You live her alone?"
[html]
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... /xeris.png); background-position: top; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:8px; padding-top:70px;">
http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... are_80.png);">
Xeris was a bit startled when the door to the cabin suddenly opened to reveal Damascus. She smiled. He always did seem to have a way of busting into things. At least Pendzez wasn't home, he would have thought that the grey, burnt-furred wolf was some kind of dangerous intruder. Looking up to meet her old friend's eyes, the white-furred wolfess spoke up. "Hello, Damascus," she said with a bit of a chuckle. "Still busting things down all over the place, aren't you?" She was glad to see that banishment hadn't affected Damascus in the way it had affected her. He seemed to still be in good spirits, whereas she had reverted to a shy and fearful personality--which, admittedly, was fading as the time passed in Phoenix Valley.

She saw him head over to her fireplace--naturally, that was where he'd go. He'd taken the time at the Retreat to teach himself the use of fire. It had always weirded out most of their other friends, his obsession with the flames. Xeris smiled again. "Thank you," she said. "A fire would be lovely." He asked if she lived here alone. "No, Pendzez lives here too." Realizing that her friend probably didn't know who Pendzez was, she added, "He's their father," looking down so as to refer to her unborn children.
[/html]