You find out who your friends are
[html]

Photobucket

Photobucket

OOC stuff here

Photobucket

Snow! The frigid white stuff continued to pour forth from the sky, chilling everything it touched. It was quite an interesting sensation for the petite border collie to have small bits of frozen water landing on every part of her body. Still, she had ventured outdoors to make her daily rounds. Unlike most of her expeditions, the delicate lupess was comfortably trotting along in lupus form, her white-furred pads blending with the light blanket of snow as she trotted along. Following at her heels was her newest companion, the little flame orange kitten. His green eyes were continually fixed upon the Border collie's plumed tail which she continually wagged back and forth to keep him interested. The small feline had been startled by her shift into quadruped form, but she had quickly convinced the kitten that she was the same person as before and now the feline continued to follow her as he always did. Even for a kitten his thick pelt shielded him from the chill of the outdoors, his ancestors had likely grown up in chilly climates. So it was completely safe for him to be following the Dauphine on her walk.

The blind fae could not help but think about all of her friends as she wandered along. It was inevitable that she would run into at least one of them on her long lap around Cour des Miracles. However, there was one friend of her's that had been unusually scarce of late. The great King Jacquez was MIA as usual. Of course there was always the possibility that he was simply hiding away in some warm building, avoiding his duties simply because avoiding his duties meant avoiding the cold outside. Ruri knew that he would not wear clothes. Even when she was an adolescent the only thing she had ever felt him where was his old hat, which he no longer possessed. So, as dainty paws quickly felt their way along the memorized route through the snow, Ruri turned her head upwards at a slight angle so that her sensitive nose was thrust into the chilly wind. She would find Jac. That was her mission for today. As second in command of Cour des Miracles and best friend of the king it was both her job and her strong desire to find the one armed dog. She missed him terribly.

[/html]
[html]
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/ ... table1.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
WC: 322

Ruri knew him too well, for that was indeed where the king found himself, 'hiding away in some warm building'. He had adopted a cabin near the Chien Hotel - had staked his claim from the beginning, but had preferred to camp out in the grotto during the warmer months. Now that it was far too cold to be huddled in a cave, he had moved back into the house, and found a housemate to boot. Firefly lived with him, the two flirts sharing a symbiotic need for warmth and companionship.

The arrangement worked out quite nicely, although most of his packmates still had no idea where to find him. Even calling out to him from the borders was unlikely to bring him running, because the outdoors was just oh so cold. A sun king like himself could not be expected to trudge about in the blustery winds and pelting hail, was he? And he certainly was not about to scavenge for his own food or liquor, that was preposterous. Thus, it was quite handy to have Firefly around - for all the complaining and quick-tempered quips, she was still willing to help him around the house in return for his invaluable company.

Today, she was out, despite the active snow fluttering from the dreary sky. As if their world needed more of the worthless stuff, Jacquez thought sourly. His nose was poked out the door, the rest of him huddled behind it as though it were a shield. As cold wind seeped into the cabin, he withdrew, ready to slam and lock the door shut. But he hesitated, equally bored by being holed up in this little shanty. Squaring his jaw, the one-armed dog bulled his way out the door to stand shivering on the porch. Maybe he would see someone interesting and call them over. Or maybe he could just wait for Firefly to come back home and amuse him...

Table by Sara-joe!
[/html]
[html]

Photobucket

Photobucket

OOC stuff here

Photobucket

Blind eyes danced across the frigid landscape as the silver and ivory lautari followed her friend's scent towards the Chien Hotel. He was close by, she could tell. However, as she neared the large building she quickly realized that the scent was leading her past it and towards another nearby destination. Plumed tail flicked behind her absentmindedly only to quickly remind her of the presence of her small feline charge as he leapt up and swatted at her tail, landing a faint hit on his target. With a quiet chuckle under her breathe Ruri turned her head over her shoulder to address the fluffy kitten,"Good job, Soleil, your aim is getting better," she commented, not knowing whether the feline understood her or not. Indeed the only thing the feline understood was that Ruri was saying something nice to him to which he replied with a loud purr before continuing in his game.

Having caught the scent of her friend once more, the fragile collie-dog padded forward past Chien hotel. The king's scent only grew in strength with every few steps she took. Her pads, though reasonably acclimatized to the chill were now beginning to go numb which led Ruri to increase her pace to a brisk trot. Although, she was careful to go just slow enough for Soleil to keep up. She didn't want him getting lost out here in the snow. With any luck the both of them would reach wherever Jac was staying in a minute or two. Then perhaps they could get out of the cold for a moment.

[/html]
[html]
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/ ... table1.png); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
WC: 382

His 'patience' was rewarded with the sight of a small grey smudge moving along the horizon, the light color being swallowed up by the deep snow. The tall Optime lifted his muzzle to the air, trying to catch the scent of the small creature. A broad smile lit upon his countenance when he realized it was none other than his beloved sidekick, Ruri! She had finally come to visit him; oh, it had been too long.

Things had been shaky between them since Heath had admitted his feelings for her; Jacquez and Ruri still loved each other, but their relationship had suddenly reached an awkward stage. The king did not possess the mental capabilities to understand romance, but it was clear that his ward had grown to a level of maturity beyond his own, and now his advice was no longer necessary or helpful to her well-being. His smile faltered, but he huffed, bored of standing on the cold porch.

"Ruuuriii! The door is open, come inside if you like!" he bellowed, his hot breath forming an effervescent cloud. Without waiting, he hurried back indoors, leaving the wooden door ajar for her to follow. Out of habit, his black eyes quickly scoured the floor, checking for any objects that might trip or confuse her. Firefly kept it pretty neat, though, and her vermin cat had gone out with her, so the place should be friendly to the blind. He poked his head in their bedroom, snagging a blanket from the small stack of linens in case it would be needed. He did try to think of everything.

Had life as Dauphine been treating her well? Jacquez found himself at the window again, his breath fogging up the glass panes as he watched the collie-wolf from a distance. No one had harassed her, or voiced complaints about a blind female being dubbed alpha. Still, he wondered whether it was too much responsibility for one so peaceable and fragile. It had been Firefly's vehement urging that convinced Jac to give her the position; in his simple world, he wanted her sequestered away, not thrust into the middle of everyone and everything where something could happen to her. Nothing catastrophic had happened thus far... But he would never be happy about her and that mongrel.

Table by Sara-joe!
[/html]
[html]

Photobucket

Photobucket

OOC stuff here

Photobucket

Chilled ivory paws carried the Dauphine through the snow at an ever quickening pace. Soleil had been forced to stop his game of 'catch the tail' in order to keep up with his canine caretaker. As far as the blind fae was concerned she knew that Jac was very close. His scent was overwhelming, although that could have been because she was focused on it intently, knowing wherever he was would be a warm place. Her diligent search was suddenly rewarded as the familiar voice of the King bellowed out over the wind. She was to come inside when she reached his home, and judging from the quick nature of his call Jacquez was now back inside, hiding from the weather. "Come along, Soleil, we're nearly there," she urged the feline as she increased her trot to a slow gallop, her slender form floating over the white landscape towards the sound of Jac's voice. In a matter of moments, she was on his doorstep. Out of sheer necessity, the petite Border collie shook her pelt, dislodging all of the small ice crystals that had built up and scattering them across creation, some of them hitting the door with a gentle clatter. Soleil mimicked Ruri and shook his pelt before quickly following Ruri through the open door. "Well, here I am, Jac," she greeted, pausing to shift to her optime form before coming all the way into the house. Once sure that Soleil was inside, she shut the wooden door with a gentle kick of her foot. "I hope you don't mind, I brought my cat along with me, or rather, he followed me. I've missed you so much, Jac! How have you been?" she inquired, quietly strolling up, arms outstretched to hug her dearest, closest friend. It had been a couple of weeks since she had last seen Jac, and the period of separation had disturbed her terribly. Though she was spending lots of time with Heath, there would always be a part of her that needed contact with Jac. She had been forced by weather and other circumstances to go without that much needed contact for far too long. Normally not seeing Jac for so much as a single week would send Ruri into a frenzy of worry. Her relationship with Heath had led her to worry a little less, but still she would need to spend at least the rest of the day with Jac, to make up for lost time.

[/html]
[html]
wc: 406

The king smiled proudly as he watched her shift upright, the feathered grey fur rustling a soft whisper as she assumed her bipedal stance. She always was small, wasn't she? He was glad his Ruri never got too tall, because it meant he could always carry her around if he needed to. His nose crinkled at the sight of the little cat, but he made an effort not to say anything derogatory. He didn't know what it was with women and their need to nurture things.

Jacquez neatly draped the blanket across her slim shoulders before embracing her, his one arm hugging her tightly against his warm chest. It had been some time since they had really spent time together; since they stopped sharing the same living quarters, really, which coincided with the foundation of the kingdom. Considering what Firefly had revealed to him, though, it was probably for the best that he had given her some space to grow. And yet, how happy could they have been if they really were together forever? All of this alternative thinking made his head hurt. His damaged mind really couldn't process what was good for Ruri anymore - somewhere along the way, all the old rules had changed.

"I have been all right, petite," he rumbled, although he wasn't sure what he should begin with. That he and Firefly were friends with benefits now? That he had two more illegitimate children that he refused to visit or even acknowledge? That he hadn't seen his spoiled horse since the first snowfall, and had no way of reaching the stables because he hated ice that much? "Euh, I must say, this snow is repulsive," he grumbled, going with the simplest topic first.

He pulled a sour face as he released his embrace, steering her gently towards their dwindling fireplace. They had a small blaze crackling, enough to warm the immediate room. It was chilly in the bedroom, though, by oneself at least. "Even at sea, the ice was only on the railings and the rigging. Nothing like this... this... freezing sludge, it gets on everything, and the frost bites my paws and ears. You really should not travel in this season, you will catch consumption." He ruffled her ears as he sighed, unable to keep himself from worrying over her. He could pretend he was fine on his own, but she really completed him. She couldn't change, she just couldn't...

Table by Sara-joe!
[/html]
[html]

Photobucket

Photobucket

Goofy post, but the thought occurred to me that Jac would look cool with a long, wool trench coat or cloak of some kind. I imagined him walking around in a large, burgundy coat of some kind. I think he would look rather neat. He could be both the sun king and the snow king!! Just a thought

WC: 559

Photobucket

The feeling of soft cloth being laid across her shoulders followed by the strong arm of Jac pulling her to his chest made Ruri smile. Her slender arms wrapped around him, at least as far as they could reach, and hugged him as tightly as they could. Inhaling deep, Ruri absorbed the scent of her dear friend simply because she enjoyed the smell so much. One could be certain that the silver and ivory Border collie would never tire of Jacquez's presence. He was familiar, and therefore comfortable for her. Having been separated from him so long led her to realize how much she still depended upon him, even with Heath taking up her life. It was likely she would always need the two of them in order to be whole herself. Jac and Heath, though they seemingly only tolerated each other, were both essential parts of the delicate blind girl's life. Without one, she was incomplete.

With Jac's comment about the snow, a puppish giggle escaped her lips. Jac would always hate the cold. He was the sun king after all. "I know it's not all that pleasant, but you'll never get used to it if you're never out in it. I mean, I usually wear clothing of some sort, but my fur has already started to thicken up a bit, can't you tell?" She ended with a question, wondering if Jac would be able to distinguish the new, fluffier quality to her feathery fur. While visibly it did not look different at all, Ruri had begun to notice that it took longer for her to start shivering when she was out in the snow. That fact, combined with the fact that she usually had clothes on to keep her warm had made it easier for her to stay active during the winter months. She was able to go on longer walks, and visit more of her friends that way. When Jac warned her that she should not travel in the snow so much Ruri took on a more serious look, if only as a gesture of mock sternness, "Jacquez Trouillefou, you are being silly. You know that if you would just put some clothes on you could wander about in the snow, just like I do, without getting the least bit cold. Why, if you asked Firefly I'm sure she'd take you to one of those old buildings in Lunenberg where they have all of those nice things. Maybe if you found a nice long coat or something...it could be your royal coat. I mean, think about it. If you had something to wear to keep yourself warm you could spend more time doing fun things around Cour des Miracles and less time couped up in this cabin," she finished, smiling playfully. Her air of mock seriousness had faded long before her proposal was finished. As much as Ruri enjoyed staying indoors and enjoying the warmth of her own home, she had a need to venture out at least once a day. Her lifetime spent with the king told her that he was the same way and that staying indoors all the time was likely driving him crazy. She was sure there were lots of things that he wanted to do but his own obstinacy regarding the wearing of warmer attire was preventing him from doing them.

[/html]
[html]
wc: 377 // lol, that would be cool! I think he likes to be in the buff, though. |D

Ruri giggled, her laughter a high, silvery sound. Happiness seemed to radiate from her honest face, and it pleased Jacquez to see that he still meant as much as he used to. He knew nothing of expanding the circle of one's affection, of finding new niches to love people; his greatest fear was being replaced, and it was a relief to see that for the time being, he still mattered. Despite being the high and mighty king, it was the little blind girl's approval that mattered the most.

"Ah oui, you're turning into a little arctic wolf, I see," Jacquez drawled, patting her fur teasingly. "Get any fluffier, and you'll be mistaken for a sheep!" His arm guided her to sit on the cushions they had strewn before the fireplace, settling deftly beside her. "Mais petite, therein lies the problem! I cannot venture outside to find clothing to wear outside, it is a paradox! I shall simply await the return of hospitable weather and civilization." His tail flicked playfully against the cool floor as he resting his chin lightly atop her silken hair.

Jacquez inhaled deeply and frowned disapprovingly, black eyes narrowed to slits. "You smell like him," he muttered. It had been pleasant pretending that Heath was still outcast, even though it had been Ruri's first act as Dauphine to reinstate him. Firefly... Whenever Jac felt a foul mood coming on, Firefly had found a way to distract him from it, in an effort to keep her blind friend happily oblivious. But the simple truth was here, in plain sight. Ruri was living with him, raising vermin on his bequest, sharing a bed with him... Ruri had found herself a mate.

A faint growl rumbled in his chest, as his jaw clenched. Was it really alright to allow this to go on? Firefly had fought him tooth and nail to get him to stop interfering with the relationship, but how much was enough? That two-faced good-for-nothing was going to get her knocked up, and if he found evidence that the worthless mongrel laid his hands on her, he would knock every tooth out of his skull and make him swallow them, for starters. Surely the pack would understand - Ruri could not be allowed to change.

Table by Sara-joe!
[/html]
[html]

Photobucket

Photobucket

500+

Photobucket

Lips curved in a contented smile as her best friend led her to sit by the fireplace. His comment about the new fluffy quality of her fur made her blush. "A sheep? Honestly Jac, there is no possible way that I would ever look like a sheep...is there?" The blind girl had never been very close to a sheep before, but from past experience she knew that they were indeed very thick, wooly creatures. Without sight, she had no idea how much or how little she resembled a sheep, therefore Jac needed to clarify his joke to ease her worries. She was a dog, not a sheep, and if she was beginning to look like the latter she would have to do something to prevent further changes.

Jac's continued refusal to venture outdoors made the collie-girl sigh. He really was hopeless in this regard. "If you had Firefly bring you some clothes to wear, you would not have to go outside until she brought them. Or, you could simply wrap a few of these blankets around yourself, like some sort of goofy robe, and then you could come outside. The fact is, your Highness, that you simply do not want to go outside," she scolded sarcastically as Jac rested his head atop her own.

The change in Jac's voice stung her as he spoke. He still wasn't okay with Heath. He had accepted her decision to bring Heath back. In fact, he had almost welcomed it, but now Jac had seemingly changed his mind. Oh well, she would not let his attitude affect her. No sir, she would turn the comment back at him to make him see just how immature he was being. "So? You always smell like some other girl or lady, Jac. While I was growing up, whenever you would come to wake me up in the morning, you always had some new scent on your fur. I never mentioned it because you're my friend and it didn't matter what you were doing. For instance, now you smell like Firefly. In fact, this entire how smells like Firefly is living here too. It's good that the both of you are keeping each other company," she replied. Of course, she knew Jac and Firefly were likely doing more than just living together, but she didn't want to press the subject any further. She hoped Jac would simply laugh it off and they would be able to move on to a less touchy subject.

Plumed tail moved to wrap around the King as he sat next to her by the fireplace. The heat radiating from the flames was refreshing and relaxing, just the right thing for a friendly visit. "So, Jac, now that we're here, do you want me to sing you something? I miss singing for you. In fact, I haven't had the opportunity to sing for anyone in quite awhile. Most of the time when I meet people, we're outside, and the cold air makes it hard for me to sing, but we're inside so I'm ready if you want me to!" she exclaimed, her face aglow with puppish enthusiasm. Jac was always her biggest fan, and she most of the songs he knew were his favorites. She had learned many of them from hearing other women down South. Whenever Jac had whispered in her ear that he liked the song, she memorized and practiced it in order to sing it for him later. Now she just wanted Jac to pick a song and she would sing her very best for him.

[/html]
[html]
WC: 427

Jacquez laughed aloud, his booming voice echoing in the mostly empty house. "It would be charming, petite Ruri, to see you as a little sheep, but no! You are not a mouton, they have little hooves like deer, and eat grass, and your face is much prettier." He shook his head, still chuckling at her sensitivity. Collies were sheepdogs, but that did not mean they looked like sheep! "And of course I do not want to go outside in this weather. It is ridiculous. Who would?" He pondered wearing a blanket as "some sort of goofy robe", but eventually decided against it because his feet would still perish. Boots were what he intended to ask Firefly for, but she kept leaving the house lately as though she were avoiding him...

Jacquez's face twisted into a bitter smile, a sneer that Ruri would never see but would surely not recognize if she could. "There is a difference between males and females, petite, men are proud of their... conquests. Women tend to regret them later. I... would not have you regret anything." "I never mentioned it because you're my friend and it didn't matter what you were doing." Was that true? He should let her ruin her life because friends did not interfere? They were more than just friends, though, weren't they...? His tone was stiff, almost a forced apology as his footpaw tapped impatiently against the floor. The awkward silence was deafening to him, a man whose actions spoke louder than words. Him and Firefly, it was nothing permanent. No one was ever permanent to him. No one but her, and she was different from everyone, she saw the world in a unique and innocent way because she could not physically see it at all. His hand rested lightly on her slim shoulder, reassured that she still felt the same. Wordlessly, he leaned over, pressing a gentle kiss on her forehead.

His possessive mood began to relax, his tail stirring once again against the cool floor behind them. She was here and she was his for now. He should enjoy the ray of light that she brought to him, in this bleak season of snow and ice. "A song would be wonderful," he rumbled, dark eyes lingering fondly on her enthusiastic expression. She had been just as excitable and proud as a little pup, once she had learned that she could do something useful. "We've got all day together. You should choose some of your favorites." He rubbed her shoulder encouragingly, eager to hear her soaring nightingale voice.

Table by Sara-joe!
[/html]
[html]

Photobucket

Photobucket

My favorite arrangement of the song "You Raise Me Up" is by Josh Groban, so imagine that same version of the song but being sung by a woman's soprano voice, not a men's tenor and you've got how Ruri would sound ^_^. 400+

Photobucket

A wave of relief washed over the sensitive collie girl when Jac assured her that she did not look like a sheep. She had suspected as much, but hearing someone who could actually see her telling her that made her feel much better. She did not want thicker fur if it meant changing her appearance too dramatically. However, Jac's description of the differences between men and women made Ruri sigh in mild exasperation. She doubted that she would ever be able to change Jac's view regarding that issue. That was alright with her, but she would just have to be careful about what she told Jac about. For instance, the fact that she and Heath often kissed and...engaged in other more private marital activities on occasion, would have to be kept on a strict need to know basis. She did not wish to hide anything from Jac, but she also didn't want him to assault her mate for showing his affection towards her. Perhaps someday, when Jac was older, he would finally change his views, but for now Ruri would have to be content with the uneasy peace between the two most important men in her life.

Jac's acceptance of her offer made the blue merle woman beam with pride. She loved singing, and with such an eager audience as Jac she loved it even more. It did not take her long to decide on the first song she would sing. It was one of her absolute favorites, and it described just how much Jac meant to her. She would also have to sing the song to Heath sometime, as it equally described her appreciation for him as well. So, after clearing her throat and selecting the proper vocal key, Ruri began to sing, "When I am down, and oh my soul so weary. When troubles come, and my heart burdened be...Then I am still, and wait here in the silence...until you come and sit awhile with me. You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains...You raise me up! To walk on stormy seas! I am strong...when I am on your shoulders! You raise me up...to more than I can be..." Her nightingale's voice rang with the sweet, slow tones and kept perfect pace with her internal metronome, tapping out the rhythm of the ballad as she sang. The song carried on for a few more verses, ending with a resounding finale of the chorus where Ruri added several ornaments and accents to the tones, not to mention volume before she ended with the final line, "You raise me up....to more, than I, can be," her voice slowly faded as she gently wrapped her arms around Jac's torso. "What did you think?" She asked, pale blue eyes continually searching for the dark, black eyes of her best friend and king.

[/html]
[html]
wc:364 // Ah! I actually sang that in a chorus group, so I can imagine it easily! c:

It was a wise decision for the blind girl not to divulge the intimate nature of her relationship with Heath. Jacquez was single-minded in his prejudice; no one was good enough for his Ruri, and the fact that she was entertaining a suitor was something he could not compute. To him, Heath was little more than a stalker, and Ruri apparently too innocent to fend him off. It was lucky Firefly was more understanding and willing to help out behind the scenes, although unfortunately she would get the short end of that bargain. The king was quite unsympathetic when it came to womanly issues.

Jacquez let himself relax, his arm draped over her thin shoulders as she sang. Her voice was high and clear, loud in the confines of the cabin, unadulterated by outdoor noises or interference. She had always loved her singing, but was it possible that she sounded more confident now? Her soprano tones rang with surety and honesty, dynamics swelling and ebbing as she poured her heart out to him. It was peace that she brought him, a moment in which he could quiet the clamoring desires and conflicting messages that plagued his mind. With Ruri, he was the closest thing to a normal being, and she had always had that calming effect on him.

He knew his packmates wondered sometimes why he had compassion for Ruri and none other, even his own children. The answer was something he could not articulate; it was simply that he was not a whole being, but she could make him so. Heath was threatening his very existence, that fragile mental state gently tended to by Ruri and then eroded again by alcohol. His pensive mood lifted as the final notes of Ruri's serenade hung tremulously in the air, fading into silence. Her warm arms wrapped around him, and his dark eyes fluttered open to glance at his former ward, pleased by her simple affectionate nature. "That was almost as beautiful as you, petite," he rumbled, ruffling her ears lightly. "Your songs only get better and better. We will have to chase away all the birds that roost here, you put them all to shame!"

Table by Sara-joe!
[/html]
[html]

Photobucket

Photobucket

WC: 418

Photobucket

Being complete, having one's soul made whole by the presence of another. It was not just the King's spirit that shared this need for Ruri's presence. Her mate, the calm, Heath Morte dre Soul had confessed a similar need for her. Even though Jac had never, verbally, expressed his need for her, Ruri knew that Jac would always need her, just as Heath now needed her. This was in part because she needed both men in a similar fashion. They were her strength, her joy, and the beings that she could see the clearest in her own special way. She liked to think she knew as much as anyone would ever know about either of them, though this was likely not the case. Their personalities, their struggles, their triumphs, Ruri had learned them all from the amount of time she had spent with the both of them. They completed her, and yet she had yet been able to get the two of them to stand in the same room without any sort of tension flowing between them. The sensitive collie girl desired nothing more than for her two closest loved ones to be friends. She wished to one day be able to spend time with both of them, enjoying life as an inseparable group, when they would all be as they should be, made whole by the presence of one another. However, these were the naive dreams of a naive, innocent mind. Whether they would ever be realized only the Fates knew.

Her song ended, the alabaster and slate luperci slowly slipped back into reality from the ethereal world she entered in her singing. Her eagerly awaited answer from Jac made her smile so wide that she had to close her pupil-less eyes to make room for such a sweet expression of glee. His compliment, combined with his own signature gesture of his affection for her, ruffling her ears, made her cheeks flush timidly. She appreciated that Jac loved her singing, but such exaggerated comparisons left the humble girl feeling that she did not deserve them. "I wouldn't want you to chase away all the birds. That wouldn't be nice. Music is meant for everybody to enjoy, and I think the birds were singing long before I started. It wouldn't be fair to banish those who originally developed such a wonderful thing as singing," she replied, giggling at her own reasoning. Jac would likely find her excuses amusing, but she believed that they were right just the same.

[/html]