Black leather boots spit shined so bright
[html]

patrol thread for Andy and Ty

War rode on the winds of the world, piping a funeral dirge for all who fell to Mars' grim sword. The birds stayed quiet, only speaking to Anya when she asked them to update her on the conditions of the pack war. Otherwise, they stayed silent, an omen to those who wished to battle.

Patrolling the borders, the birds told her, would be dangerous, and better done in pairs or threesomes. So Anya went out to find Andy and Ty to possibly help her watch the borders for anyone who might need refuge in these brutal times. The female, though she listened to the birds, felt that patrolling would be better in the company of friends who could watch each others' backs. One couldn't possibly be too careful when all was fair in love and war.

<style>
.anya-heart p {padding:0px 10px 0px 10px; margin:10px 0px 0px 0px; text-indent:25px;}
.anya-heart b {color:#D777C4;}
.anya-heart {text-align:justify; width:400px; padding:1px 0px 264px 0px; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/anyatable.jpg); background-color:#000000; background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; font-family: verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#FFFFFF; word-spacing:1px; line-height:11px; letter-spacing:.3px; border:1px solid #E86CE4; }
</style>[/html]
[html]

wc: 1,016 :3

The morning had dawned crisp and clear. The sun shone brightly, though it did nothing to warm the earth beneath it. The ground was hard, frozen by the frigid snow that blanketed it. The sky was a dull, soft gray, patches of blue visible here and there.

A solitary female wolf stood before the edge of the beach, staring across the glassy surface of the salt water. Her fur danced softly as a chilly breeze blew around her, her tail swaying to the side as it gave in to the wind.

She loved watching the sunrise over an ocean. The many different colors never ceased to amaze her, and the reflective surface of the water had a mirror effect, making it twice as beautiful.

Once the sun had risen fully from its slumber, the female yawned, her jaws opening wide, white teeth glinting in the sunlight. She bent forward, stretching her front legs in front of her luxuriously. She was feeling a bit drained; sleep had been evading her as of late. What with the patrolling she and Anya had been doing, as well as her running regiment, Andy was beginning to feel it. She considered skipping her run today, but quickly dropped the thought. Tired as she was, she would not drop her daily run. She would just have to find the energy.

Slowly, she rose to her paws, shaking each leg in turn to shake the sleepy warmth that had inhabited her body. She set off away from the beach, trotting smoothly back into the heart of the Valley territory. It was nearly time to find Anya so they could do their morning patrol.

As the loped through the trees, her belly suddenly grumbled with hunger. Knowing she would regret it later if she didn’t handle her hunger, especially in her exhausted state, the tawny female sighed, turned off her path, and lifted her nose to the wind. Best find a snack to replenish her energy. She was a bit early, anyway.

Even though she absolutely loved the winter season, the fact that prey was all the more scarce was enough to grate at her appreciation. She stood very still, one front paw raised in concentration, as she listened for anything; a bird call, a tiny movement beneath the snow, something to alert her of some prey.

A few feet off, she heard it. Almost inaudible, rustling and scratching sounds reached her pointed ears. Near the base of a tree, a small, brown creature was digging into the snow. A squirrel. It, too, was hungry, and it was searching for a hidden stash of food it had saved for just this occasion. Andy noted that it was rather scrawny, but it would do. She crept up slowly on the squirrel, careful to keep her paws quiet in the snow. Her ears were pricked forward, straining to catch every sound the small animal made. It was painstakingly slow, or so it felt to Andy.

When she was a yard away, the squirrel looked up, panicked, and started darting up the tree. The bark was rough against her paw pads, but not altogether unpleasant. It was no wonder why squirrels had such earthy colored fur. It all but disappeared against the tree bark, blending in quite well with the brown, rough wood. Andy leaped, her paws coming down on the tawny creature, pinning it between the tree trunk. She ended its life quickly with a bite to its tiny neck, and gulped the small animal down quickly, relishing in the wonderful feel of warmth and energy the food had given her body.

Feeling better, though her hunger was not completely satiated, she set off again, feeling much more awake and energized. She hoped Anya was bright eyed and bushy tailed; it was easier for Andy to wake up if those around her were, too.

A sound overhead caused Andy to pause and look up. A large bird, probably an osprey, was soaring in the sky over the trees. Vaguely, she wondered if it was the same osprey Naniko had saved. Smiling slightly, she lowered her head and was off once more, her tail waving to and fro slowly as she went.

In the distance, she caught sight of another wolf. Speeding up, she realized it was Anya. Smiling wider, she picked up a full out run, galloping smoothly to where her friend stood. She skidded to a halt next to the other female, wagging her tail in greeting.

“Good morning.” She said, tongue lolling out good naturedly. Are you ready to do some patrolling?” She raised a hind leg and scratched her ear as she stood, trying to keep her balance in the awkward stance. After a few seconds of pleasurably scratching, she lowered the leg and looked about. “Have you seen Ty yet this morning?”

She started walking slowly along the scent border, knowing her companion would walk with her. The forest around the two females smelled cold; it was a fresh, crisp scent, mingled with the deep ruddy scent of the tree trunks, and the earthy scent of the ground hidden by the snow. It was a lovely scent. It filled the tawny Tenens, and she closed her eyes briefly as she took a deep breath. It reminded her of Washington.

When she was a child, her and her brother Luke had loved playing in the snow. It had been their favorite thing to do in winter. Making snow animals they could pretend to stalk had been a particular favorite of theirs; the crumbling snow as they pounced had been very satisfying.

She shook her head, realizing she had drifted out again. She had found that more ad more things reminded her of her late family; many times, however, it made her happy to think of them. She was glad that it no longer filled her with a suffocating darkness. Se still got sad sometimes, but it wasn’t the only thing she felt anymore. She suspected it had something to do with her friends here in the Valley.

[/html]
[html]
It had been one night since war had started in neighboring packs, and already Ty was drastically changing his schedule to be on the boarders much more often. He had been patrolling the boarders since the moon was up, continuously prowling the area, constantly keeping attention to who might come in. His instructions were very clear, keep watch of the boarders, questioning whoever might come here. If it was Dahila, he was to allow them sanctuary here, if Inferni, he was to drive them out. During usual days and activities, Ty was calm, relaxed, and friendly, but during anything related to war, Ty got oddly attentive, cunning, and excited as well. It wasn't that Ty was a crazy wolf with a hard case of bloodlust, but war was an exciting thing to him. He had experienced it overseas, and he had been a part of it during his experiences, and it was one of the most gripping things he had ever experienced. It had improved him as a pack member, a fighter, and as a wolf in general. To be so close to the edge of war again, to almost be able to face down an opponent in war once more, it was something he would most enjoy. But he had his orders, and he would follow them to the letter.

Since patrolling the boarders since the moon was still in the sky, Ty had never stayed in one spot either, he had been weaving through the trees since he was awake, moving back and forth across the boarders over the night, keeping ever-vigilant about intruders. So far, there had been nothing, but Ty had not stopped looking. His nose, now sniffing like a vacuum cleaner, checking for any new urine scents of wolves nearby. his eyes darted left and right as he weaved through the forests, checking for any movement, and at many times during the night he thought he had spotted someone when he really had seen either a small animal or the wind blowing in the trees, but the antsyness still wasn't going away.

His trek was stopped by hearing voices neary, he could already recognize the voices as his friends, one of them asking about him. Stepping lively, Ty moved closer to the two wolves before slipping out past some brush to confront the two of them in the open instead of snooping around in the darker trees like he had been. "I've been out here for a bit, but I haven't seen anyone so far." Ty replied to Andrea's question, establishing a polite smile and a wag of the tail. "Hello Andrea, Hello Anya, good to see you out here watching the boarders with me." He smiled kindly as he continued to walk towards them before his face abruptly changed when he got straight down to business. "Have either one of you seen anything yet?" He asked to two of them as he reached arm's length of them.
[/html]
[html]

o.O you guys are being evil to me, i swear. lol. this is so wimpy compared to you guys. sorry, i'm in the middle of midterms in my senior year in high school

Anya nodded at Andy, falling in step beside her, slightly behind her out of habit. She was used to wolves snapping at her if she wasn't in the right position, so Anya had learned quickly to stay to the left and slightly behind whatever wolf she was walking with at the time. Even on patrols, she kept to her habit. The grey female had been ripped apart too many times to have not learned that valuable lesson. "No, I haven't seen Ty yet. Have you?"

Anya smelled Ty before she heard him. She suspected that he was used to walking quietly in the snow and leaves of the woods along the borders. "I haven't smelled or seen anything since I woke. And the only thing I saw was a vision of a coffee cup dancing in front of my eyes." Anya grimaced. That was a major disadvantage to not being luperci: no hands for holding a delicious mug of New Orleans style coffee.

<style>
.anya-heart p {padding:0px 10px 0px 10px; margin:10px 0px 0px 0px; text-indent:25px;}
.anya-heart b {color:#D777C4;}
.anya-heart {text-align:justify; width:400px; padding:1px 0px 264px 0px; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/anyatable.jpg); background-color:#000000; background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; font-family: verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#FFFFFF; word-spacing:1px; line-height:11px; letter-spacing:.3px; border:1px solid #E86CE4; }
</style>[/html]
[html]

wc: 501

The crisp, winter air was doing a pretty good job at keeping the tawny female awake and focused. She took a deep breath, loving the feel of the fresh cold fill her lungs. After the two females had been walking for a short while, a new scent drifted to Andy’s nose. His scent told her that Ty was approaching before she even saw him, and she wagged her tail again.

“Hello Ty.” She greeted the red wolf as he came into view. She nodded to him, smiling and wagging her tail. She sat on her haunches, one leg stretched out a bit into the snow. She arched her back, sighing when it popped a little.

“I’ve only just got here. I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary on the way here, nor at the beach.” She looked at the gray female, wondering if she had noticed anything unusual or out of place before she had found her.

The tawny female shivered, but not from the cold. Ever since the pack meeting when Jefferson had briefed them about the war between the Inferni and Dahlia de Mali, she had felt unnerved and tense. Her fur prickled uncomfortably. She didn’t like war; things could be handled so much differently, if only those involved had a mind to solve it. But, if push came to shove, she would do whatever she could to protect her pack, even at the cost of her life.

Andy got to thinking that it would do her some good to sharpen her fighting skills. While Phoenix Valley wasn’t directly involved with this war, that didn’t mean they were free of the risk. They could be invaded, or have to take refugees who asked for a safe haven to escape the distruction that war always brought.

Jefferson had been clear about taking in those who asked for safety. No Inferni. Andy shivered again. While she know many of the coyote clan were cold hearted, not all of them could be, and surely there were some who wanted nothing to do with this war. What of the children? They were innocent. Her eyes grew sad at the thought of them. They didn’t deserve to die over something their parents were too silly to see was unnecessary.

What would she do if an Inferni child came to her, asking for refuge? She was expected to drive it away, she knew that. But was she capable of doing such a thing? She only hoped she wouldn’t have to find out.

She rose to her paws, shaking each one in turn to rid them of excess snow that clung to her toes. Then she shook her pelt, trying to free it of the cold that had seeped into her fur. “Shall we be off? I can’t stand still anymore.” She admitted, laughing softly in spite of herself. At least she had a thick winter coat. It helped to ward off some of the chill, but not all.

[/html]
[html]
"I have to agree with you, we should keep moving, you never know who will show up on our doorstep." Ty replied to Andrea's question. With that, he turned on the spot and began to move along the boarders again, hoping the other two would follow. It was nice to have the other two with him now, he was beginning to get lonely on the patrols, and Andrea and Anya were good friends to have along with him, it would allow him to at least talk with others while he was out and about.

And honestly, there was a lot to talk about now, war had arose onto the peaceful territories. Although he knew everyone had heard it, he had gotten very little feedback on how they felt about the war. Everyone had recently simply been accepting the war's existence, but nobody had been asking questions, or even talking about the war at all, that was worrisome to Ty. Many of the wolves probably had their own worries and thoughts about this conflict, they had to, they were part of this land as much as those in Dahlia or Inferno, they might have relatives or friends nearby, and usually that worry for their friend would make them do something stupid. Ty felt it would be healthy for the group to talk about it, allow them to get their feelings out into the open, hopefully keeping them calm and preventing them from going to make those actions.

"So...this war....what do you two think about it?" Ty said to the other two, simply acting on thought. "I mean...I don't know how you two feel about this, but I'm not surprised...it was bound to happen, even in a peaceful place like this. Although I don't agree with Jeff's idea of not allowing Inferni into our lands for sanctuary..." He then turned to the other two. "But honestly, what's your take on this, you think we're doing the right thing?

words: 326
[/html]