one tribe, one time, one planet, one race
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... atable.jpg); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
A thread where our characters will like each other? No wai! XD Set at Adagio Creek. 300+

Despite being confident in his decision to come and assist this half of their tribe, Nayati could not help but feel a bit of homesickness for the main tribe. This was mostly due to the fact that his missed his family. His father, his mother, his sister and brothers. He was not only Ohitekah and Talulah's eldest son, but their eldest child. A part of him felt that he should have never left them for his was the main inheritor of the Utina family. He was comforted by the fact that his younger siblings, especially Sewati and Cha'tima, were old enough now to be responsible and helpful members of the family and it was only that fact that had allowed him to depart in any sense of good conscience. His parents had been supportive of his choice, proud that their son would be brave enough to journey to help the smaller satellite tribe. Still, he couldn't help the nagging feeling that he should not have left them. He had consulted Onawa about these feelings but she had said it was an answer that he needed to find for himself, she could not give him peace.

The Tsisdu Kanati had walked from the village to the serene little creek that was a short distance away, hoping to find some comfort and perhaps even answers in the calming environment. Onawa was stretched out on a nearby rock. One could have easily mistaken the puma Guide as asleep if not for the constant alert twitching of the end of her tail. It was only when that habit of her's ceased that he knew she was truly resting. He could never really tell if she actually slept though, and if she did if she actually needed to. Even though they shared their lives with the Spirit Guides there was still so much about them that was a mystery. Nayati knelt down beside the slowly flowing water and dipped his fingers into the frigid water. If only it were summer he would take a dip in the creek, but doing so now would be asking for illness. His pale blue eyes scanned the area and found there was an entrance to a cave nearby. Curious he walked over to it and peered in. What could be inside?

[/html]
[html]<style type="text/css">p{margin:0;padding:0;text-indent:30px;}</style>
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/ ... middle.png); background-position:center; background-repeat:repeat-y; width: 410px; background-color: #ECE3A3;">

Jajajaja~! It is possible! Our characters can like one another... if no one starts biting. D8 Or hiding the other's friend in a cabin for months. Lulz.

WC: 324

Tayui had been out for a walk, enjoying the pleasant weather and the quiet flurries. It was a beautiful day, and Tayui had decided to spend it outside of her cave and away from all of her books and writing. He had even gotten Claudius to accompany her, and he was taking great interest in examining all of the trees they passed, trying to guess the names of the trees. He had better luck with the coniferous trees, and was attempting to identify the different trees that grew in 'Souls. Tayui was quite proud of him, since she knew categorizing and identifying was one of his skills. She was glad to see Claudius in his element, explaining everything as they meandered through the AniWayan territory. Tayui smiled indulgently, considering how he could have made an amazing Bard in Jaded Shadows, or some sort of teacher in Shadowed Sun. But now, he had taken up the carpenter path in the tribe, and Tayui was truly proud of him for finding his own way.

Eventually, Claudius grew tired and decided to return to their cave. Although he had grown a great deal, he still found it tiring to walk for long times with his one back leg being longer than the others. Tayui suspected he would grow in to it soon, since he still had a bit more to grow. Soon enough, Tayui decided to return to her cave as well. She was expecting to see an empty cave, and discover her son hiding within, reading his books again. However, to her surprise, there was a light male examining the cave, standing a short distance away from it. He had beads and feathers in his mane, and a bold, blue stripe of paint on his nose. Tayui regarded the male for a few moments, sizing him up before deciding to speak.

“Hello,” she called out, not wanting to startle him. “Can I help you with something?”

Table by Kate!

[/html]
[html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... atable.jpg); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
Lmao, yesh XD 300+

Nayati could sense the scent of a couple wolves around the cave and thought that odd. It was not a mere passing scent that would be left by one who had simply explored the cave and left, but by those that had spent much time within its confines. Back in the main tribe everyone lived in buildings, even if they were of makeshift quality. He had assumed the same was true here in this location of the tribe because of the village. The male had never lived in any cave or den and was surprised to find evidence that some in this AniWaya did. It must be one of the natives of this area that had decided to join them in their way of life, at least to a degree. Personally he could not see how this cave would be more comfortable or hospitable than one of the houses in the village. Not to mention it was much more isolated out here. Nayati loved the communal sense of the village and couldn't see why one would separate themselves from it. He did not judge it as either right or wrong, it was just strange to him.

So caught up in his pondering on the reasons and values of living in a cave that he did not notice the approach of the one who did take up residence here. It was perhaps due to the fact that her scent already filled his nose and so it did not seem out of the ordinary to smell it. Though when a voice softly called out his head snapped up to take in the image of the pale woman with differently colored eyes. Nayati straightened up and offered her a cordial nod of greeting. "Hello." For a moment her question seemed odd, but then he connected the dots and realized that this was the woman who lived in this cave. "No, I was simply inspecting this cave. I apologize, I did not mean to intrude." For some reason he felt like a child who had gotten caught doing something he should not have been doing. One corner of his mouth perked in a small smile. "My name is Nayati Utina, I am from the original tribe but have just recently arrived in these lands."

[/html]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/ ... middle.png); background-position:center; background-repeat:repeat-y; width: 410px; background-color: #ECE3A3;">

WC: 381

As soon as Tayui greeted the stranger, he snapped to attention with speed that would have made any military man proud. Tayui chuckled easily, long accustomed to greeting the new members of packs and tribes. He quickly offered a greeting of his own, to which Tayui nodded in reply. She did not need to wait long, for he spoke again soon enough. Again, Tayui answered him with a quiet reply of her own. She chuckled, low in her throat as he finished examining her family cave. Slowly, Tayui's expression turned to mirth as the male's turned to worry. Again, Tayui found herself chuckling good-naturedly.

“Not a problem; I only just got back from my walk. My name's Tayui Aston; I'm originally from Québec, but I've lived in the 'Souls lands for most of my life,” she replied easily. She hoped this fellow was not too easily spooked; she had met her fair share of wary creatures in her day, including her son, so she would try to gauge his demeanour as they spoke. “Where is the original tribe, if you don't mind me asking? I don't think I was ever told where this tribe began,”she noted, hoping it was not too intrusive a question. They lands outside of 'Souls and Bleeding Souls were quite vast, so Tayui knew Nayati could have been from anywhere. Dawali and Asha were not arctic or tundra wolves, so she suspected they did not descend from the north as her family originally had. Nonetheless, there were numerous possibilities, and Tayui relished the opportunity to learn more about her new tribe and home. Although she did not define herself by her origins by any means – and in fact, would probably see herself as a Shadows wolf, if anything else – she believed it helped you in discovering who you were. Tayui had started to grow in Jaded Shadows, and she regarded it has her true home. Of course, she still considered Québec to be where her family was with Aurèle and Honoré. However, they had long since come to be incorporated into her home, which was absolutely wonderful. She loved having her family with her now, so she could only imagine how hard it would have been for Nayati to leave his behind and find a new home.

Table by Kate!

[/html]
[html]
Apparently the exact location of the original AniWaya was never specified so...yay vagueness! XD 300+

Nayati feared that his uninvited inspection of the woman's home would set them off on bad terms, which is most definitely not what he wanted nor intended. It wouldn't do to start off on the wrong foot with one of his new tribe members, especially not one who was from these lands. Ever since his arrival here he had been eager to meet the wolves native to this area that had decided to join AniWaya and take up their way of life. Thankfully, though, the pale female seemed more amused than anything at his mistaken intrusion and quickly a small smile spread to his own maw in response to her good natured chuckling. "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Tayui Aston. May I saw that your name has a lovely music to it." Names had always fascinated the Utina and he had been just as excited to hear what names the wolves here bore as well as their personalities. Most of the AniWayan names were of a similar style and sound and he had had no doubt that the names here would have their own unique flavor. So far it seemed his assumption had been correct. "So these lands are called the Souls lands? How interesting. What gives them this name?" Soul was a strong and powerful word, surely there was a reason behind these lands being called such.

Since he was asking questions about these lands, her home, it was only fair that he answer questions of his own home. Besides, she was now a member of the AniWayan nation and had a right to know about the origins of the tribe. "The original tribe is a long ways from here, it took me a long while to reach this place. It is hard to say where exactly it is in relation to these lands, but it is to the west and south, roughly." Nayati had no map to reference and even if he had he wouldn't have had a clue what he was looking at. Perhaps Dawali or Asha would have a better idea of what the world looked like from the sky, having avian Guides, but both he and Onawa were earthbound. All he knew were the directions he had had traveled in and even then at times he lost track of that. He was a hunter and at times was so engrossed in tracking that he paid no mind to cardinal directions. Thankfully though the great sun and stars could always help him find his way again.

[/html]

WC: 341

“Oh, thank you,” she replied, wondering if she should point out that no matter how much music her name carried, she had little choice in the matter. Though, she supposed that wasn't completely true; her family was known for changing their names as it suited them, so although Tayui was born as Tayui Aston-L'leh, she had assumed different names in different parts of her life. When she and Shaeniire had been mates, she had styled herself as Tayui Vanim-L'leh, taking on her mate's surname. Now, however, she had found a name she truly liked. So she supposed it wasn't too strange to accept Nayati's compliment (even if she felt as though she should reject it). She wondered if she was now obliged to comment on his name. Tayui wasn't sure what meaning it carried for him, or if AniWayans acquired their names with much thought and predication as they did their spirit guides. The entire AniWayan culture seemed to be very personable and individualistic; it was interesting to observe and partake in.

“I'm not too sure, actually. The old lands were called Bleeding Souls. Most of us here are from that area, to the north. I guess we were attached to our old homes and wanted to keep one aspect. But on the other hand, we sought to rid ourselves of the curse, if you can even call it that,” she replied easily, pondering his question for a moment. Indeed, the lands of Bleeding Souls had carried a weight that no wolf could have ever rid themself of. Friends and family members would suddenly disappear and leave, only to return months or years later. Tayui wasn't sure why this happened, but she had heard many refer to it as a curse. The lands had been plentiful and full of game, but with it came this weight. And since so many of them had come from Bleeding Souls, perhaps they had wanted to keep the good and rid themselves of the bad. Cleanse their souls. Perhaps that was the meaning after all.

Table by Kate!

[/html]
[html]
300+

He knew that people did not really have a choice in the names they were given always, but he didn't see that as a reason to not compliment on her name. He didn't know how other cultures named their pups, but quite a lot of care and thought went into the naming of children in the AniWayan society and he only naturally assumed that it was at least somewhat similar elsewhere. After all, it wouldn't make much sense to be careless or frivolous in naming one's next generation. Meanings behind names were nearly just as important as the names themselves, he felt, and he was curious what the meaning of her name was but refrained from asking. Perhaps once they were better acquainted with one another he could, but it would seem too much of an intrusion currently.

Nayati listened with rapt attention as Tayui tried to explain why the lands were named as they were. He couldn't help but let a small expression of shock come across his strong features as she stated the name for the old lands many here had once inhabited. The name was one filled with pain and sorrow and he couldn't believe that anyone would want to live in a place with such a cursed name. It seemed to him an ill omen that must have plagued all who resided within its boundaries. He had no idea that it was a fire and not their own choice to have left the old lands, but if he had known he would have thought that the place needed to be cleansed in that way. "It does not surprise me to hear that a supposed curse came with those old lands. Such a name is a very ill one indeed. The name for these lands is much better. Hopefully you were able to rid yourselves of those bad spirits." The AniWayan believed wholly in the powers of the world beyond their own and knew that spirits and curses held great sway.

[/html]

WC: 411

“Oh, I should have explained that better,” she replied sheepishly, adding a small chuckle in for good effect. “The name didn't have anything to do with it as far as I know. But luperci just disappeared with no word. Sometimes they would return with explanations — they left to search for a family member, or they were kidnapped, or had simply decided life in the pack wasn't for them. But they vanished so abruptly; families were torn apart. Sometimes when they returned, they forgot things behind,” she noted. She remembered how Conri Church had returned without a leg, and later it seemed, without a soul, if the murdered he committed were anything to go by. And how Shaeniire had returned with her memory in tact (finally), and how her return had such joyous consequences for Tayui, and caused such mourning for Fatin. Tayui knew Fatin had forgiven her for that, but she still thought about it.

She supposed this must sound horribly shocking to someone from somewhere so different. While Tayui saw many of the AniWayan traditions as quaint or strange, she supposed Nayati would view their culture in a similar way. Although Dawali had warned Tayui there would be strong consequences for single mothers (or, more specifically, mothers without a mate), no harm had come to Tayui yet. Of course, Tayui was not foolish enough to think that this was not because anyone had gossipped about her. If they had, either Dawali had dealt with them in his gentle, but nonetheless firm way, or simply had never heard of it. But given the small number of 'true' AniWayans in the pack, Tayui doubted it even happened. In 'Souls and Bleeding Souls, things like this happened. There wasn't a rhyme or a reason to it; it was just how life was. And at the same time, Tayui didn't know if it was bad spirits, as Nayati thought, that plagued them. It was canine nature, perhaps, or the way they had grown. The luperci that inhabited the lands made the decisions themselves. Certainly, Tayui acknowledged the existence of ghosts, but spirits? That seemed almost far-fetched to her. Although Tayui liked to think she was completely in control of her own actions, she didn't know if spirits or feelings external to her own could influence her like that. In fact, the idea slightly disturbed her. Perhaps she wasn't as 'spiritual' as she thought she was. This thought, too, weighed heavily on the woman's mind.

Table by Kate!

[/html]
[html]
300+

The man's head cocked slightly to the side as Tayui apologized for what she believed was a lapse in her powers of explanation. What she amended with though did not really change his opinion. To him, it still seemed as if the old lands that she had come from did have a sort of curse on them. He knew that not everyone believed in the powers of the world that could not be seen, especially outside of the AniWayan culture, but he had seen those powers and he believed them without any doubt whatsoever. Some might think him naive or superstitious, but how could he not believe in the power of spirits? One walked side by side with him every day of his life and guided him through the world. The Guides were not the only spirits out there that held some power and sway in the world. They could not physically alter things on the Earth, but the powers they had were beyond any that any living mortal held. That was the Utina's belief. He did not think that there was any preordained fate or that the spirits controlled everything, but they did effect the world and those that lived in it.

"I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the power of such a name. Perhaps some of these happenings were mere coincidence or mistakes, but if they happened so frequently I find it hard to believe that they all were as such. Though I know that not many outside of the tribe subscribe to such beliefs. It is what I have always thought though, as many of my people do." Nayati wasn't meaning to exclude Tayui from that statement, for she was a part of the tribe now as well, but neither of them could deny that they came from very different places and situations. Even if she could not think as he thought, perhaps it would give her some insight into how the systems of AniWaya worked and why they were as they were.

[/html]
[html]<style type="text/css">p{margin:0;padding:0;text-indent:30px;}
.taybox {background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/ ... middle.png); background-position:center; background-repeat:repeat-y; width: 410px; background-color: #ECE3A3;}
.tablez {padding: 10px; color: #031E73; font-family: verdana; font-size: 11px; line-height: 14px; text-align:justify;}
.tablez strong {color: #DF0D8C; font-weight: bold; font-family: georgia;}
.mrline {border-bottom:1px solid #031E73;}</style>

Sorry for the huge wait! I give you a longpost as a gift! (WC: 524)

She did not know why she was finding it so hard to accept Nayati’s words. She accepted a great deal that most had dismissed. While she had been young, Aurèle had thought her a fool for believing in ghosts. At the time, she had not known her aunt was a ghost. She still thought her aunt was alive and well. Her sister had called her an assortment of names, but still Tayui knew what she had seen. So why was it so hard for her to accept the idea that a name could hold that sort of power? She had seen Dawali’s spirit guide and knew that hers was out there, too, waiting for her. Waiting for when she would be ready to find him or her.

But names held an entirely different meaning for her. Nayati had complimented her name, and she had balked. Now, he suggested the name was the cause of the sorrow, and again, she could not believe it. Names were invented and created by luperci, and often borrowed from humans, so why should she believe they had any power? If humans had once possessed any power, it had destroyed them. She did not wish the same fate for the canines or any animals that roamed these lands.

“Perhaps,” she replied, still unsure why she hesitated. “But I don’t know how a name can hold any power if everyone has their own name for the same thing. The smaller animals might not even have a name for it. And many don’t even know it exists.” She frowned, trying to express her thoughts with a greater coherency. “The names we give might have power because we believe they have power. When you name someone, the name has a meaning for you, and you want that meaning fulfilled. But we understand things by scent and sound and touch. And by who we knew.” She frowned, shaking her head. She didn’t know what she wanted to say, or how to say it. “Names have power,” she added, then paused. “But in different ways. They’re not all the same.” They couldn’t be. After all, her names came from many different languages and origins. She and Pilot had named their pack Shadowed Sun to carry on a tradition, and Inferni had kept their name. AniWaya was named after the people, and other packs had their own reason for naming things the way they did. She just did not think the curse could come down to something as simple as a name. For all she knew, it had been a human item someone had read, or remembered from when they were still alive. Perhaps someone had bestowed the name upon the lands with the specific intention of cursing them. She did not know, and she refused to believe anything so easily falsifiable. Perhaps she had read too many human books, or perhaps she was just not as spiritual as she thought. Whatever the reason, she agreed with Nayati’s premise, but questioned his application. She only hoped she’d made it clear she did not disagree with him entirely; he seemed like a nice enough man, after all.

Table by Kate!

[/html]
[html]
Now it's my turn to be sorry D: 300+

It was a sticky topic that they discussed where it was easy for people to have different views and opinions. It was also, it seemed, difficult for the both of them to fully express what it was that they each thought. Tayui wasn't the only one who was a little frustrated. Nayati thought that he was doing an okay job of making his thoughts clear, but by her responses to his words it was clear that he was not. He made no move to interrupt her though, letting her ideas flow from her mouth as readily as they could on such an odd subject as the power of names. He didn't really believe that all names had power in and of themselves, but some words held tremendous power and seemed to draw the fates down upon the world. The name for the old lands that Tayui used to live in seemed to be one of those names. Bleeding Souls seemed such a severe name to him, and with all the ill things that had happened there it only confirmed that in his mind. As she finished off though he nodded in agreement. "Yes, I agree with you. I do not think I was speaking very clearly. I do not think that all names have such power, only some. It is a muddled thing to talk about," he said with a soft, apologetic grin. It was not the best topic for two people who were just meeting one another.

"Perhaps we should speak of simpler topics." The man paused for a moment, considering what to divert their conversation to. There were of course endless possibilities given they knew next to nothing about each other. "Would you mind telling me a bit more about yourself? Do you have any family here in these lands or in the tribe?" Family was always a topic that was important to him and close to his heart. That fact seemed magnified now that he was so far away from his immediate kin. The Amaras were a part of his extended family, but the Utina missed his parents and his small siblings. He had spent his whole life with them, surrounded by the multitudes of the AniWayan tribe. Now he was in a knew land with only two faces that were familiar to him. He was curious to hear what Tayui's family situation was.

[/html]
[html]

Tayui nodded quietly, willing to let the topic go if Nayati was so inclined. She didn’t want to argue with him when he clearly had his own beliefs and Tayui did not know what to think. She could only help but feel like there was a great deal of information she and other luperci did not know about the world around them. The books she read held so much information, and there were certainly more books out there she had not yet discovered. It went without saying that there was a great deal of information she did not know for a variety of reasons. She did not want to argue with her fellow AniWayan; after all, for all she knew, he could be correct. She still hesitated, unwilling to accept anything completely without a bit of healthy curiosity.

Her eyebrows shot up when Nayati suggested an alternate topic. Or, more aptly put, a simpler topic. While she did not want to discuss “simpler” topics, especially if she had found someone who was willing to discuss the many complexities in the world, she did not want to ruin this first meeting. She inclined her head for a moment, and then nodded in reply. There was a slight pause, but Nayati continued the conversation. Tayui found herself smiling; family was a topic she could easily discuss. However, it was bittersweet.

“Certainly,” she replied. “I have four children, though all but one have taken off to do who knows what for however long they see fit,” she explained, not bothering to hide the truth from the male. She did not know if he was a staunch traditionalist – if he would take offense to her children’s or mate’s absence – but she did not care to hide it. “My sister, Aurèle, was a member of the tribe for a few months, but she has also taken her leave. There was a curious case with a lighthouse, and I don’t know how well she took it. It would have been rough for her, so I don’t blame her. She needed space – a lot went on. We were only recently reunited, so things have changed. But I still have my one son, Claudius, with me. And what about you? Have you any children?”

Table by Kate!

[/html]
[html]
300+

It may have been a little stubborn of him, but for the most part he held no curiosity or interest in what it was the humans had thought or believed to be true. They had been a greedy and selfish race that had hurt more than they had helped. They had become so bad that the Earth had wiped them from the face of the planet. Nayati could not see their demise as anything but a blessing and could only hope that their race would not follow in their self destructive path. He knew his people certainly would not, but he was also aware that they were hardly a majority. No matter what though, he would continue to respect the Earth and all who dwelled upon it. It was the only way he could live and feel good about himself.

Tayui seemed perhaps a bit reticent towards his suggestion at first, but when he mentioned family he could see her eyes light up. If she was so fond of family then he knew that this was definitely a subject that they could agree upon. He listened attentively as she explained her children and their whereabouts. Nayati could not help but note the fact that she mentioned nothing of her children's father though. Nayati believe in parents being together, as most in the Great Tribe did, but he said nothing about the matter to Tayui. It was not his place to pass judgment on anyone. Tayui went on to explain about her sister and the one son she had still living here. When she asked if he had any children of his own his face burned with embarrassment, though he couldn't say exactly why. "No, no I have no children. I would love to be a father someday, of course, but I am on my own right now." The Utina harbored secret feelings for someone, but he did not have the courage to make those feelings known. "It must be hard, having your children apart from you. Do you think they will return?" For her sake he hoped that they would. It had been hard enough leaving his own mother while knowing his three younger siblings would remain there.

[/html]
[html]

It was only when Nayati replied that she realized how ambiguous and ridiculous her answer had been. She had sounded so flippant in her remark that she almost forgot to listen to Nayati when he spoke! Her cheeks burning, Tayui forced herself to listen closely this time. She did not want to make herself look like a fool – not after presenting herself to be so pig-headed. There was nothing worse than a mulish, but misinformed luperci. While she could handle mulish with good reason, she did not want to misrepresent herself. She only wanted to act like exactly who she was.

She nodded as he spoke, absorbing his words readily. Now that they had found a more pleasant (for her, at least) topic to discuss, he seemed to visibly relax. In fact, the moment she had relaxed, she noticed Nayati appear more comfortable around him. Perhaps he disliked confrontation; or perhaps he had never dealt with someone like Tayui before. Certainly she understood the differences in AniWayan culture and her own.

Tayui chuckled when Nayati mentioned his aspiration of fatherhood. She gave him a little wink and raised her brows as she tilted her head to one side. Oh, she could fake the coy look, but she knew she was nothing like a spry young female. Certainly not the one Nayati was looking for. Nonetheless, she hoped Nayati would not be too prudish and take her wink the wrong way. Allowing herself a mental shrug, she replied, already feeling more relaxed.

“I am certain they will, in their own time. And I am certain you will your own ladyfriend in due time. Everything has a way of working or ending. There are two roads that have multiple paths – I’m sure one of those paths will lead them back to me,” she replied. As she spoke, she could feel contentment singed with the familiar worry flood her chest. It always felt like she experienced everything near her heart: all her emotions and all her pain. But now that she and Nayati had found a less political topic, she was able to relax and continue pursuing the conversation until one of them would eventually depart.

Table by Kate!

[/html]