Fireside Stories 2011
[html]

Fireside Stories 2011

What's This?

After six years in hiatus, ‘Souls welcomes back Fireside Stories. This is a contest in which participants write a short story based upon a theme using provided prompts. We like to think of this as a warm up for NaNoWriMo, which begins in November—and a fun exercise for everyone involved!

Writing

October is the month most often associated with Autumn, but equally as important, Halloween. On this darkest night of the year, the intrigue and the time when ghosts and goblins cross into our world, if only for the night.

In keeping with the tone of October, the theme for all stories to be submitted is Mystery FictionMore?. While this genre is most often associated with detective and crime fiction, it does not always involve a crime. We do not intend to restrict you to either of these sub-genres; write what inspires you! However, keep in mind that a mystery must be presented; while your protagonist does not necessarily need to solve the puzzle, the audience must be aware of what it is.

This year, we are asking you to include, along with the chosen genre, the following:

• A supernatural element
  • An abandoned house
  • A Jack-o-Lantern
  • Five Words of the Day from dictionary.com. You can use any from the month of October!

While there is not a defined length for what makes up a “short story”, we are asking for a piece of work with a 1000 word minimum. Likewise, you must remain under 7500 words. Save the serious writing for NaNoWriMo! Wink

Additionally, though creativity and the writer’s voice make a story, we are looking for proper use of grammar, tense, and spelling. Please take the time to edit your work—a participant will not be able to win if they have grievous mistakes within their writing. If you’re worried about your story, why not ask for a peer editor? Our Mentors would be glad to proofread for you!

If you have any questions or if you wish to start up story discussion, feel free to start a topic in this forum. You can post your submission here for feedback, but voting is anonymous unless you choose to publicize your own story beforehand. After voting is finished, all stories will be posted to the Wiki with proper author attribution.

Dates
  • 3 weeks to write (14 Oct - 4 Nov)
  • Voting (4 Nov - 11 Nov)

Prizes
Participation

All participants receive the special Jack-O-Lantern Catacomb!

First Place
  • A full-body drawing from Mel (real media)
  • Artwork from Nat: A hand drawn, hand colored, signed drawing of the winner's character on illustration board that I will mail to them PLUS a digital image of their choice.
  • Artwork from Kiri: A wispy thing!
  • A custom icon

Second Place
  • Artwork from Nat: A full body, digital drawing of their character of choice.
  • Custom Title

Third Place
  • Custom Title
  • Artwork from Nat: An avatar head.

Submission

Submission is done via e-mailing (NOT private messaging) a .txt file (created in Notepad) or a .rtf file (created in Wordpad) of your submission to the 'Souls Assemblage with a subject of "Fireside Stories." Google Docs format is also acceptable. The administration will re-post the submissions to the public Fireside forum when voting commences.

You may submit ONCE and only once. Don't submit until you are absolutely certain your story is complete!

[/html]
Ohsnap, I'm so in on this. :o Love these things so much. Gonna stay up all night, get right tired and let my mind wander. <3 Gonn' be fun times.
I shall try . (:
i have an idea of what to write.... an old creepy dream i had a few times lol
oh shi- lookit them prizes :o must try!! though I shall probably fail xD
I will do this. This I will do. I'll say it's English homework and I'll have all sorts of time to do this. MY PLAN SHALL NOT FAIL.

unless it does.
then it will.
Mmmm.. more writing..
I'm so in. Big Grin
Giving it a shot Smile
I'll give it a try. Tongue
I'll give it a try XD
ima be doin' it!
Wth. I'll give this a shot XD
totally going to try
Already have a story planned out ^^
I'll do it Big Grin
I'll give it a shot
I'm getting in on this. I'll force my mom to let me use her computer if I have too. Hahahaha!
I'm in, why not Smile
Remember, submissions must be in by NOVEMBER FOURTH (4th). Submissions after 11:59 PM on November 4 will not be accepted. Get to submitting, folks! Smile