IMPORTANT: Pending PM Deletion
[html]

Private Message Deletion on 20th October

We have been having some unfortunate technical issues lately that have resulted in the spontaneous disappearance of random threads -- that is, threads have been deleted without anyone deleting them. This is a very serious problem and we're still in the process of pinpointing its causes.

In the meantime, acting on some theories, we are going to attempt some preventive measures. To ease the strain on our forum's massive database, we are going to be clearing out some of its less crucial data.

ALL SAVED PRIVATE MESSAGES will be DELETED PERMANENTLY on October 20th. This includes all messages in your inbox, all custom folders, your sent messages, etc. You will be able to create and store new messages after the 20th, but all messages sent and received before the 20th will need to be exported and saved if you wish to keep them.

Additionally, topic pruning will be enabled for Thread Requests, deleting topics older than two months. OOC Garbage will be manually pruned to delete less notable topics. If you wish to keep a record of any Thread Request or OOCG topic, we recommend manually saving them to your harddrive.

We apologize for this inconvenience, and hope to get to resolve the issue of disappearing topics soon.

[/html]
Guys, you are totally allowed to reply to this topic with questions if you have them. :> That way, everyone can see the answers and such.

QUOTE (From Formspring)
How would you go about exporting those PMs and saving them that will be deleted on the 20th?[/quote]

My Controls > Archive Messages

The settings are to your preference -- we recommend archiving the oldest messages first, and moving to newer messages. The board automatically sends the file of your preference (HTML recommended) to your specified e-mail address.

You can tell the forum to delete messages as they're archived as well, so you don't have to keep track of what you've already archived, especially since you can only archive 50 messages at a time (built-in limitation to avoid overloading the database).
I know this is about PMs but does the notepad on the accounts get wiped as well or does that do nothing to take up space? *curious because of coding sitting in the notepad*
The notepad will not be affected, no worries. It's stored in a different area than the PMs and do not take up a significant amount of space.

-- Kiri
Also, I recommend checking that your email is up-to-date because the files will be sent to the email you used when you registered your account (or since you changed it the last time).

You can change your email in the UCP
I got an error trying to archive my pms. I keep mine pretty pruned so I only have 80 msgs between 6 folders.

Quote:The error returned was:

Sorry, no personal messages were found using that search critera. Try again and broaden the scope.

I would select one of my folders and choose all msgs, # doesnt seem to matter (I wondered if it was because I select 50 when there were only about 10+ msgs in each folder), yes to deleting once archived, and html. Tried multiple folders, but not all. Always got the same error.
I think it might be the second row of settings: "Archive messages received in the last"

Try a few different options -- 365 and older until you clean out anything really old. Then try 365 and newer and keep going until your folders are empty. That works for me, but you may have to fiddle with the dates a bit to get it to work the best.
ah. yep, that did it. Thanks Tammi ^^
Awesome possum, glad it worked! Big Grin
PMs have been wiped.

Thread Requests older than 2 months have been wiped.

We're in the process of pruning OOCG topics, though we did accidentally delete all OOCG topics with less than 5 replies, regardless of how old they are -- if you posted a recent topic and it was pruned, please feel free to repost. ;_; We're sorry about that!

We are probably going to be pruning through Talents and Absentee/Player Notices as well, so if you'd like to save any of those topics, you can get a head start on them. We'll let you know a prune date once we decide for sure. <3 Thanks!
Ohcrap I read the date as the 30th Sad Oh well...
I did make a back-up of all PMs prior to deletion. If you think you're missing something ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL, I can dig it up, but it is kind of a pain, so let's not abuse this, yeah? If you can live without it, that'd be cool. :>

PM me (on Arkham Lykoi, not this account) if you need something specific.

-- Kiri
No need, it was just more of a public facepalm moment :p

Thanks though! <3