Post Inspirations
Cause Aly can make discussions about posts because of reasons.

So, what motivates your "style"? Is there an outside source that tempts to you to write in a certain way or otherwise influence you?

I, myself, is highly, highly motivated by Suzanne Collins, writer of The Hunger Games. I find my writing how she kind of writes, like short (probably grammarly incomplete) sentences that are broken up into snippets and somehow cooperate with each other.

Also, Regina Spektor is the bee's knees for inspiring play of words in her songs that somehow gives me ideas for smilies and metaphors.
My writing tends to mimic whoever I've read from recently. Quite annoying, going from reading Sense and Sensibility to writing something in modern days with those old fashioned phrases.
Not so much in my 'Souls writing, but moreso in my real life writing, I try to imitate Barbara Kingsolver as much as possible. Seriously. She's the most beautiful, eloquent writer I've ever read - and I read quite a lot. The first page of The Poisonwood Bible is the most elegant, stunning piece of prose I've ever read.
I'm not really inspired by anything.... I just word vomit and hope it looks good o3o

but lately I've been listening to songs by Lara Del Rey nonstop so um that may be inspiring because I replied to all of my threads for the first time that I remember.

also Rosie, putting that on hold at the library. Sounds interesting.
I don't honestly think I have a writing style of my own, I always absorb whatever I've read recently. If I haven't read anything (like lately), I can't seem to think of the words I want and end up using Thesaurus.com to help me. xD;; My biggest influence growing up was Brian Jacques' "Redwall" books, and I still love talking animals with weapons and accents, heheh.

I guess I do draw from real life sensations when it comes to prose: because 'Souls is all about canines, I write with my dogs in mind, lol. They are definitely an inspiration for writing about senses, tracking, barking, etc... going for walks with them usually makes me want to write. :> Especially since 'Souls takes place in realtime, so if it is rainy outside it will be raining in my posts. It is not exciting but there you go!
I've always thought the easiest influence to pick out in my writing was Ernest Hemingway, which might be hilarious because I've read all of one book he's written (A Farewell to Arms) and a handful of short stories. But a lot of things about Hemingway appeal to me and his style is so distinct, I think it's easier to attribute things to him because of that. Things I probably picked up from him include: use of short sentences; overuse of conjunctions to make super long sentences; an unabashed love of repetition as a literary device; really, really, really extended metaphors; and occasional fixation on really mundane things (fucking peanuts, man). Some of these things are more obvious in roleplay than others, but maybe I'm also just... overly aware of this specific influence.

Other than that, there's the natural tendency to emulate whatever it was I read last and enjoyed. Which. These days. Is most often fanfiction, but hey, there's literary merit in that, and I'm not ashamed.
Not really about what I read that inspires me, but I sometimes really like to listen to semi-calm 60s-80s pop (like Air Supply, Asia, Rod Stewart, Beach Boys). That sort of music can post my productivity both in writing RP posts but in general as well Smile I have a playlist called Relaxing that is the main stuff I listen to when I write. Chill music, simple lyrics, and general good feelings from the music on that list help the creative juices get flowing often.
I have no idea what inspires me. Probably my own ideas and style. I don't really pick up on other writers styles, I try to emulate but I usually fail. Music is probably a good bet for me though I can never listen to it while writing. Some songs inspire characters feelings for me and they're defiantly fodder for thread titles.
Music! I find it hard to write posts, or.. do anything, really, if I'm not occupied with music Tongue