Publicize the leader handbook?
Hi 'Souls!

For quite a while now, the 'SA has been debating whether or not to publicize the Leader's Handbook. The 'SA itself is kind of torn, and became more so following a poll to the leaders themselves. o: So, we've decided to put it to a general membership poll, and also open up for comments and questions to try and glean some ideas from everyone. We won't necessarily act accordingly with the outcome of this poll, but we're seeking input and would like to hear your thoughts! <3

So, let us know what you think -- please vote, and feel free to comment below (or privately via a PM to the 'SA, or anonymously via Tumblr)!

What is the Handbook?
The Leader's Handbook is a forum with various topics. These topics detail what it means to be a leader, how leaders should behave, leaders' duties, rules and procedures for running a pack, and various other information regarding leadership, pack formation, pack websites, etc.

[html]
Why publicize?
    [*]It may simplify pack formation information: all of our information will be in one place. We won't have a separate Pack Formation topic anymore -- this topic will be contained within the Handbook itself. We won't have to repost information from one place to the other, and we won't have to make sure information on both documents is the same.[*]It may enable members who are thinking about leadership to get a better or more complete idea of what leadership is about. What duties, workload and problems can one expect? Well, currently, you don't know until you're actually a Pre-Leader (e.g., your pack's first application has been approved). If all members can see the handbook before they even think about a pack idea, we believe pack formations will be smoother, and new leaders won't have quite so much adjustment to do.[*]It may help our members understand when to turn to a leader for assistance, and when not to. Leaders are often mistaken for forum staff, and issues are brought to them which are not their jurisdiction. This in turn causes some issues to be lost to the 'SA, and some leaders to be overworked -- we'd like to reduce this! [*]It may increase accountability and transparency overall. By allowing members to view the the handbook, they will know better what they can and cannot expect from their leaders.
Why not publicize?
    [*]It's a lot of information the average member doesn't necessarily need to know. It's tons of extra reading, and people may get lost within the Handbook.[*]Although lacking in "sensitive information," the Handbook does provide some suggestions for dealing with troublesome packmembers, and some players may become offended.[*]Members may try to act out of their stead and in a leader's position (although this would certainly be against the board-wide rules and incur consequences from the 'SA -- we'd also include warnings that the information is meant to be used by leaders, but we cannot say we'd absolutely be able to prevent this from happening).[*]Members may attempt to pressure or disagree with leaders over things in the handbook (though leaders are free to set their own pack's procedures in many cases)
<style>
.halftable { width:95%; }
.halftable td { width:50%; vertical-align:top; }
</style>[/html]

Questions
Will non-members (e.g., unregistered guests and wanderers) be able to see the Handbook?
No. Only titled members will be able to see the Handbook. This is primarily because we don't want new joiners to look at the Handbook at all, and mistake it for rules or a document they have to read.

Isn't there sensitive information in the Leaders' Handbook?
Nope! We'd be giving it some revisions before we rolled it out, of course, but even in its present state, the Leaders' Handbook contains no sensitive information.

Will all members have to read the Handbook?
Absolutely not. We definitely wouldn't mandate it for reading -- there is a lot of information in there, after all. It's only there if you'd like to read up about what leadership is like. Of course, if you are thinking about becoming a leader or are a leader, it becomes mandatory. ;D
If you guys are worried about members reading the punishment and such, you can have some of the topics not accessible. You can have daily duties and workflow and stuff, so people have an idea of what to expect but not all the details.
I like the idea of publicizing it. Big Grin But that's mostly just because I like to read useless information, and the handbook looks like it'd be interesting. I doubt there'd be any real issues associated with it (:
QUOTE (Ayasha @ Aug 17 2012, 09:45 AM)
If you guys are worried about members reading the punishment and such, you can have some of the topics not accessible. You can have daily duties and workflow and stuff, so people have an idea of what to expect but not all the details. [/quote]
I kind of like that idea :3
I agree with Becca. I think that you should publicize it so that members can see what it takes to be a leader. It'll streamline the pack creation process, and members may also be more understanding of how much leaders have to do. I also think it would be a very interesting thing to read -- I like to read the 'Souls information. It's extremely interesting.
I think that publicizing the Leader's Handbook and hiding some topics would be a good idea. c:
Unfortunately, there is no way we can put viewing restrictions on a single topic. Viewing restrictions are, backend, applied to forums and subforums, so it's all or nothing, content-wise. It's a good idea though, and I honestly wish there was such a thing as per-topic viewing restrictions. :3

Keep your input coming!
QUOTE (Ulilohi Ehn @ Aug 18 2012, 11:47 AM)
Unfortunately, there is no way we can put viewing restrictions on a single topic. Viewing restrictions are, backend, applied to forums and subforums, so it's all or nothing, content-wise.

Keep your input coming! [/quote]
Ah, OK. Nevermind then Big Grin But I think that in general, the players here are mature enough to not act like leaders when they aren't. So I still think that publishing would be a good idea. I know that if someone tries to tell me things that a leader should, I'd PM the leader of the pack and/or SA about it. You could add something about what members should do if someone not in leadership does those things? And I'm done rambling for now >.>
Thinking it over a bit, I still disagree with this 100%

You want it to be clear what the leader can and cannot do. I'd love it if we could get the Mod handbook and SA handbooks put out too so we can see everything too. And as everyone has said, you can cherrypick what you want posted but I feel it's only fair we get to see the inner workings too.
I agree with Gen, though I doubt my opinion matters for much. It would be nice to have a handbook of each done if SA is going to do the leader one, because members should know that their leaders, mods, and admins really do have their best interests in mind when they make decisions that affect everyone in that pack or everyone on the board. They'd also get to know what the process was like and the kinds of discussion that goes on in the SA forum when making decisions. ^^
Same. I disagree *can't vote for some reason Tongue*

Most members would just it due to being nosy (me included, at least I would). And I believe that leaders should have some overhand knowledge over packmembers.

But I do think some information should be available to aspiring leaders.

/ramble
I agree with Gen. I think it is fair that the mod and or SA handbooks should be available to leaders and/or members as well.
I'm on the fence about the leader handbook being published, but I completely disagree that the staff ones should be -- mainly because most of that information probably isn't relevant (or at least a lot less relevant than the leader handbook's information). It would be nice to know how certain procedures are carrying out, such as different decision-making, but that could probably be a different topic the staff can give besides the actual handbook. I don't really see the advantages of a normal member reading staff handbooks, anyway, besides the understanding/trust thing, which can be addressed in other ways (such as asking). Here is another thing -- just about anyone can become a leader, while moderators and administrators are hand-picked by the 'SA.

One concern from a leader's side is that members will try to police leaders, whether claiming that they aren't doing their job right or trying to overstep boundaries because they don't believe leaders have any authority. I know that the latter usually indicates a trouble member, though, and the former could be useful if there actually are leadership problems. I dunno. >>

I really would like to see aspiring leaders read the handbook so they're better prepared when it comes to formulating packs, especially because I've seen a lot of flimsy pack concepts and those who have little idea what it takes to be a leader. It would discourage those who couldn't actually run their packs well, and it would be a great resource for those members who aspire to run a pack of their own (or even help run one they belong to now) someday.

I guess I'm a bit less on the fence, now, since I don't really see why publishing the leader's handbook would hurt besides members making trouble for their leaders, which I trust the 'SA would promptly deal with.
Raze, what you said can also be applied to the leader's handbook. While maybe not sensitive material, most of it a common place member has little to no reason to see at all, so why should it be put out there? Maybe a quick wiki guide on pack formation and what goes on as a leader would suffice. That being said, i'm sure there is still stuff in the mod and SA handbooks that we could all see and it would not impact day to day. Anything to give the fear off the SA, since i know there are members who are afraid to approach them, as well as leaders when we are not counted as staff like the SA and mods. Smile
Why cant people who are seriously interested in forming a pack request to view the Leader Handbook and then the handbook would be viewable to them for up to a week or something :/ Might be a nice compromise? *useless*
I think A wikki page of the most basic needs to know. Like Main leader duites what would you really need to make a strong pack. And such. this way some of the Major only leader need to know stuff is not visable but it gives members a new potential leader guide that could help them and make all happy.
I feel that most players will never really delve into the wiki, let alone encounter that particular page. And, most players are going to be level-headed, mature people.

I still feel that we can make everyone happy. How about a disclaimer? Something like " This page contains mature material and may not be appropriate for sensitive members or those not serious about starting a pack. " And then if anyone is offended, it's their own fault, and they have no reason to complain. Liken it to putting a [M] on mature threads
QUOTE (Sura @ Aug 23 2012, 06:02 PM)
I feel that most players will never really delve into the wiki, let alone encounter that particular page. And, most players are going to be level-headed, mature people.

I still feel that we can make everyone happy. How about a disclaimer? Something like " This page contains mature material and may not be appropriate for sensitive members or those not serious about starting a pack. " And then if anyone is offended, it's their own fault, and they have no reason to complain. Liken it to putting a [M] on mature threads [/quote]
It's not really that people don't want to see the handbook, but that some leaders are concerned that those who do see the handbook will bug leaders about certain things in it. The Handbook doesn't contain mature materials ^^
QUOTE (Skye Collins @ Aug 23 2012, 05:41 PM)
QUOTE (Sura @ Aug 23 2012, 06:02 PM)

I still feel that we can make everyone happy. How about a disclaimer?  Something like  " This page contains mature material and may not be appropriate for sensitive members or those not serious about starting a pack. "  And then if anyone is offended, it's their own fault, and they have no reason to complain. Liken it to putting a [M] on mature threads [/quote]
It's not really that people don't want to see the handbook, but that some leaders are concerned that those who do see the handbook will bug leaders about certain things in it. The Handbook doesn't contain mature materials ^^ [/quote]
People shouldn't have a reason to bug the leaders about anything, as long as the leaders are doing their jobs right. :/ And if they do, they're obviously just trolling. As far as I can tell, all of our leaders are doing a pretty good job, so there shouldn't be anything to worry about. x: