A Sky-high Dream
[html]

WC: 553 +5+3(Staring an AW) OOC: Point Total: 8

Alyssum de Fonte

The afternoon sky dripped into a grayish blue as the sun sank down in the west, preparing for another trip around the world, but it was only starting to sink. It was quite dry, with clouds dancing across the atmosphere, but bitter winds chilled the almost still air. Almost still. A pair of bipedal steps softly pattered against the cracked cement, though the sound was cushioned by paw pads. It was a young optime girl, about the age of fifteen, an old side bag tapping against her hip, filled with inkwells, a crow quill, a few pieces of parchments, and a hefty book. The Luperci was making her way through the hushed streets, a little skip in her step as she hurried. She wanted to make it back home before it was too dark, since who know's what she will do if she got lost in the night. Alyssum de Fonte of the Mudbloods clan approached the famed Dalhousie University, recognizing it by the characteristics she was told; tall, ivy-colored building. As if it was half made by nature, half made by the mysterious humans.

Alyssum took a few breaths for her slightly accelerated heart rate to go down. She feared, even though this was neutral territory, that she may have strayed into Ravenclaw's territory, since she learned that they held a portion of Halifax. But, it seemed that she stayed away from their borders, and with a small, calm smile, she stepped up to the building, pushing the worn doors open. It seemed empty, or at least she didn't hear anyone with her large, coyote ears. She continued down the long entry corridor, until going off into a hallway that lead to another section of the building. Finally, she spotted door large doors, with the word 'Library' fadedly printed at the top. Again, she pushed the large doors apart, and gawked at what she saw. She thought back when she concluded that her Basic Structure of the English Language and Grammar book was the biggest book she seen, and she realized how wrong she was. Shelf upon shelf was books of different sizes, colors, lengths, and form filled the entire room, all covered in either a heavy or thin layers of dust. Alyssum took in a slow breath, her stomach quivering in excitement at the prosperity of the information that lined the large room.

As much as she wanted to basically live in this wondrous land call the library, she knew she couldn't stay here all day. She quickly took out her own book, Basic Structure of the English Language and Grammar, and started to run through the shelves, looking for a certain topic. Whenever she got caught off guard by a certain word, she would just pop open her own book to the dictionary section and define the word. When she finally found the section of aerodynamics, that's when her small smile grew. Then, she started to pull books out, flipping through the delicate papers carefully, as to not to rip them. But, they all seem not to be about what she was looking for. They were all about different type of planes, which Alyssum had no interest for. She continued her search, skimming through a book about planes used in the early 1990s, a stack of other books pilled next together.

<style>
.freetable-b02 p {padding:0px 20px 10px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:30px;}
.freetable-b02 b {color:#FFE8A2;}
.freetable-b02-b {width:402px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0px auto;}
.freetable-b02-charname {font-family:georgia, serif; color:#FFE8A2; text-shadow:#1C0A00 0px 0px 4px; float: right; margin:5px; text-transform:uppercase; font-size:20px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.freetable-b02-separator {text-align:center; margin:2px 0px; background-image:url(http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab35 ... Table1.png); height:193px; border-width:1px; border-size:1px; border-style: solid none; border-color:#F1AA58;}
.freetable-b02-ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; letter-spacing:.4px; font-style:italic; }
.freetable-b02 {background-color:#AD5C0E; padding:0px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #F1AA58; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:12px; width:400px; text-align:justify; }
</style> [/html]
[html]

Hope you don't mind me tossing Clover in here! Also, your post only had 553 words, not 3,059. I think you might have accidentally counted the number of characters instead. Anyhow, you'd gain 5 points for your word count and another 3 for starting an all welcome thread in a neutral territory! Big Grin

Since her talk with Harlowe (and having seen the number of books he carried with him) Clover had been on a mission to acquire more. The ones she had kept with her since her departure from Juniper Peace had mostly all been about botany or gardening, and had been great aides in her ventures. Still, the girl now wanted to expand on her literature and perhaps acquire some more titles of fiction, something like the story Harlowe had had with him that day. She had scavenged Halifax for a good portion of the day, though her efforts had turned up fruitless. It wasn’t until the girl managed to make her way to the old university that she finally hit a bout of luck. Aimless wandering through the old, dusty corridors had finally led her to a mystical place. Once past a set of doors that led her into the library, Clover’s breath had been stolen right from her lungs.

It was obvious that others had been here, since the room was no longer in order as it had once been when humans occupied it. Some shelves had been knocked over, and countless volumes upturned and tattered pages fluttered and yellowed after being ripped from their homes. And yet, many of the volumes sat dusty and untouched on the shelves and places that remained intact. After a while of inspection, Clover led herself to an old staircase. A lithe hand gripping the dusted handrail, the Inferni coyote wound up the stairs and found herself on another floor entirely filled with volumes and volumes of information.

She judged by their covers, she judged by their titles; pulling books left and right, flittering through their pages. It didn’t take long before the small framed girl was situated on the floor, a mountain of texts surrounding her. She barely noticed that the light filtering in through broken windows had begun to grow darker; not until night fell would she realize it was time to go home. As she flipped pages, she wondered if the Dahlia male had ever been here. Perhaps Clover would find him, and bring him to this place she was so sure he would enjoy.

Darkened ears swept forward, turning to catch the sound as fingers fell still and breath was held silent in her lungs. She was not alone now, it seemed. Movement below alerted Clover, and she did her best to remain absolutely silent. Taking much caution, the girl soundlessly shut her book and rose to her feet. Tiptoeing, she made her way to the balcony banister that overlooked the floor below. Before she saw the intruder, she realized the new scent that accompanied the dirty musk of the library: Inferni. Though she felt somewhat comforted by this simple fact, straw eyes still sought to seek out the other figure.

<style>
.clover-t49 .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.clover-t49 p {padding:0px 20px 5px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.clover-t49 b {color:#EAA810; letter-spacing:-.2px;}
.clover-t49 {background-color:#331500; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/Hogwarts/gifts/20 ... rtable.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:255px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #EAA810; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#974F0C; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:425px; text-align:justify; border-radius:5px; -moz-border-radius:5px; -webkit-border-radius:5px; }
.clover-t49-border {width:427px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:5px; -moz-border-radius:5px; -webkit-border-radius:5x; box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A; -moz-box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A; -webkit-box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

WC: 346 +3 OCC: Oh, whoops. ^^; I thought the word count looked fishy. I'm going to use a word counter site from now on, since I just checked this post's word count without the HTML coding, and it said nearly 2,000. xD Point Total: 11

Alyssum de Fonte

She didn't take notice of Clover entering, since she was two book shelves away from the entrance. She was sitting at a dusty table, scribbling random facts with her crow quill about a certain plane by a pair of humans called the Wright Brothers. Though she wasn't looking for information about dreams, she was taking notes on what they used to make the flying structure, what type of weather was on that day, and how hard the wind was blowing. After skimming through that book for about a minute, she sacked it with seven more books in a disarrayed pile. She let out a dishearten sigh, but, a gleam was in her bright blue eyes. She was refusing to return home empty handed. Alyssum was too stubborn to let a bunch of books about airplanes daunt her from her task.

She got up from her chair, stretching out her arms when she notice they were a little stiff from sitting. The Luperci guessed she was skimming through that book longer than she thought. That meant she had to hurry a little bit faster, glancing at the darking sky through the murky windows. She picked up her own book in cased she needed to define a word, and headed back to the shelf. With a pointed finger, she read over the different titles of the books.

Then, with a sudden grin, she pulled out book, heavily coated with dust, and brushed away the collected debris. It was a brown hardcover, about two inches thick with very thin paper. Alyssum quickly flip through the pages, and they seemed very durable, though some stuck together, but they easily pulled apart. Best of all, none of the lettering was splotched or ruined, easy to read. But, then she felt some other than her stir the air, and looked up towards the balcony. She spotted a tawny-colored Luperci, who was in Optime form like herself. She seemed vaguely familiar, and with a stiff breeze, she scented Mudbloods as well. Then, in a quiet voice, as to not to scare her, she called,"Greetings."

<style>
.freetable-b02-charname {font-family:georgia, serif; color:#FFE8A2; text-shadow:#1C0A00 0px 0px 4px; float: right; margin:5px; text-transform:uppercase; font-size:20px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.freetable-b02-separator {text-align:center; margin:2px 0px; background-image:url(http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab35 ... Table1.png); height:193px; border-width:1px; border-size:1px; border-style: solid none; border-color:#F1AA58;}
.freetable-b02-ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; letter-spacing:.4px; font-style:italic; }
.freetable-b02 {background-color:#AD5C0E; padding:0px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #F1AA58; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:12px; width:400px; text-align:justify; }
</style> [/html]
[html]

I have to admit that when I first saw 3,000+ words, I was like HOLY SHIT and then was scared to scroll down and read your post, lol! XD

Upon reaching the balcony, clawed hands gripped at the banister and Clover leaned her lithe frame slightly forward so that she could get a better look below. Straw eyes skimmed the area beneath her, before they came to rest on the sandy form of the unfamiliar female. After only a moment or two of hesitation, the women below turned her gaze away from her book and bright blue eyes found Clover. Instantly, the young Inferni coyote offered a smile to the girl below just as she was offering a greeting.

Fingers rose near the white headband to brush away some of the golden locks that fell near her straw eyes. "Hello there, dove," she called back lightly, for it seemed out of place to talk loudly in such a room as this. Clover was sure her voice carried down below just as well. "You’re from Inferni, right?" She hadn’t seen the woman amongst the clan’s lands prior, but the smell in the air told her this was the case. What she knew upon closer scrutiny of the girl was that she was around Clover’s age, if not slightly older than her. Similarly to Clover, her heritage seemed to be largely coyote, if not entirely. Lastly, Clover deemed her incredibly gorgeous with her dirty blonde hair cascading down her back as it did. She was instantly reminded of her sisters, her mother, and the other women of Juniper Peace. Her smile broaded, a sense of excitement flooding her veins now.

She slouched her frame, letting her elbows rest on the railing, and one ring-adorned hand supporting her chin as she looked down to the girl below. "I’m from Inferni too. My name is Clover." Straw eyes swept over the books surrounding the girl, and she wondered what it was that she had found, and if she had been looking for something in particular.

<style>
.clover-t49 {background-color:#331500; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/Hogwarts/gifts/20 ... rtable.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:255px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #EAA810; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#974F0C; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:425px; text-align:justify; border-radius:5px; -moz-border-radius:5px; -webkit-border-radius:5px; }
.clover-t49-border {width:427px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:5px; -moz-border-radius:5px; -webkit-border-radius:5x; box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A; -moz-box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A; -webkit-box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

WC: 243 OCC: I would be unsure of myself if it said 3000+, too. xD 243 words is two points, right? I just want to make sure so I don't give myself too much/little and make the people go through all my posts. And, the contest filter is making me put "seductively' smooth xD Ignore that.

Alyssum de Fonte

As the other female seemed to relax and quietly greeted her back, Alyssum let out a tiny sigh. She wouldn't admit, but a moment before, she doubted her nose and thought it was a hostile wolf from a different pack. But, as she greeted her back, all worries vanished. The young coyote looked over Clover, but not critically. She had similar hair color to her, but Clover's was a few shades darker and more golden brown. She decided she liked her braids, and would maybe ask her later how she fixes them. She had straw-yellow eyes, which reminded Alyssum of the wheat fields she saw in her travels to 'Hogwarts. And, by her facial features, it looked as if she was a Lykoi.

"Yes, I joined Mudbloods the other day," she whispered seductively smoothly. She felt calmer and more peaceful as she saw her smile grew for some reason as she looked over. Alyssum allowed her small smile to stretch more as she heard with her large ears that this woman named Clover was from her new home. "My name is Alyssum," she called softly back,"Alyssum de Fonte." She felt strange whenever she told people her last name. It was probably because she hears the same surnames many times, like Lykoi or de le Poer, but of course she wasn't too surprise that she heard no de Font. She was most likely, if not, the first one in her family to come to Nova Scotia.

<style>
</style> [/html]
[html]

Actually, you wouldn't. :3 You only get points for posts that are 300+ words. So if you know you're near 300 (like 265 or something) I'd just try to add in a few more sentences to get to 300. Also, you can insert random italic codes into your words so that they won't be affected by word filter contest. Like I type in Inferni, but of course the [] would be <>'s. Big Grin

Though she had only been Inferni for a short time now, Clover had to admit that she didn’t know many faces within the clan. Though she had claimed a room on the first floor of the mansion as her own, she merely saw other members as they came or went, but never really interacted much. This was somewhat unusual for the girl, seeing as she was born a social being. However, there were a handful of coyotes within the clan that made Clover feel somewhat unsettled, and so she figured it was probably best to keep her distance. After all, her father had warned her about this place and how it was unsuitable for her, even if she had ignored him and joined the ranks anyway.

"It’s nice to meet you, Alyssum." And her words were entirely sincere, for the girl below seemed to be the closest chance to making a friend that Clover had been given since joining the clan. "I’m actually pretty new to Inferni too. It’s maybe been a month or so. Do you like it so far?" All of this she called over the balcony to the girl below, her chin still resting in her palm. If they continued with their conversation past simple colloquial introductions, Clover was sure to move down the stairs so they could be on equal ground. This scene was playing out too much like something from a play, and Clover felt slightly strange to be perched above Alyssum as she was.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

WC: 313 +3 OCC: Oh, okay, I get it now. xD Sorry if I'm being such a bother. EDIT: Giant squid? xD PT: 14

Alyssum de Fonte

Alyssum absentmindedly brush more dust off the book she gripped lightly, so that her slightly protruding claws wouldn't damage it. On a side thought, she wondered if human had claws like the Luperci. She always wondered small things like this. She saw many remnants of them in Atlanta, which fed her curiosity into one of the things she questions sometimes. What were humans, what did they look like, but most importantly, where have they gone? She heard some were still alive, but they hid their faces from the world. Alyssum thought if they made so many great things, why are they cowering like prey?

The young hybrid also didn't know many, much less a friendship. She only briefly talked to Gabriel de le Poer, the leader, when she joined the pack, as well as Sepirah Lykoi. She only said a few words to the both of them, and she had yet to met any other yet, since she didn't make a a place to sleep yet. Currently, she was resting wherever in Inferni territory, mainly in the forest of Nod. Alyssum nodded as Clover said it was nice to meet her. "Its good to meet you, too," she added, and meaning it as well. Then, she thought over the question she asked. "Well," she started,"its certainly nice to be in a group once again, after a few months traveling the southeast region of the USA, but also different. But definitely nice." Then, she asked,"Did you also come from the United States, or perhaps another country?"

She wouldn't be too surprised if she did. It wasn't unheard from Alyssum that different canines came from across the Atlantic, or even as far from across the Pacific ocean. She heard that there was a southeast Asian in the Dahlia de Mai, which was also interesting to her; she had met a canine from a different country.

<style>
</style> [/html]
[html]

Oh, not at all! And LOL @ the giant squid. I love the word filter contest. Also, this thread is awesome! Thanks for letting me join in. Big Grin

Clover could definitely understand Alyssum’s response, and she nodded her head slowly at the girl’s words. It had been months since she had left Juniper Peace, and Clover had spent quite some time on her own in the area. It wasn’t until recently that she had joined Inferni, and had a clan to be part of again. Though, Inferni was entirely different than Juniper Peace. So while Clover agreed that it was definitely nice, she completely understood how it was also different.

"Mm, I’m not really sure. I used to live with a small group of lovely people, but we would move around a lot. We’d only stay in one place so long, before it was off to another." It had, in fact, been in the former United States, but Clover had not been taught these names so she did not understand the location. As far as she knew, where she came from was somewhere distant. Though Alyssum had not asked Clover her reasoning for coming here, Clover continued on anyhow. "I only left because I was following my sisters. After we were got older and were able to shift, my siblings just one by one began to leave. I followed my sisters’ scents here, but by the time I got here they were both gone." Lifting her head from the cradle of her palm and once again standing at her full height, Clover merely shrugged her shoulders. "But I did find my dad. In fact, I guess I have a lot of family in Inferni. My dad was a Lykoi, and I’ve heard there are quite a few of them here." Maybe Alyssum didn’t want to hear all of this, but Clover was relieved to have someone to talk with. After all of her time as a loner, she had grown quite bored in her silence.

"Hold on one second, and I’ll come down," Clover suddenly declared, turning then and heading back to the stack of books she had collected. Gathering a few in her arms, the young coyote turned on her heels and headed for the staircase. It only took a moment for her to reach the bottom, and she let the books fall gently onto a dusty, old table once she was near Alyssum again. "What were you looking at?" She asked then, raising one ring-adorned hand and gesturing towards the book in the other Inferni girl’s hand, her bracelets dully clinking together.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

WC: 351 +3 OCC: I only have about sixteen words for the contest, but that's not much compared to others. And, no problem. Big Grin This is in fact my first thread since the joining one, so I'm having fun. PT: 17

Alyssum de Fonte

Alyssum listened to her story with quite some interest. It was fun to listen to other's tales, and trying to imagine in her head how it happen. She usually sees it as pictures, like a storybook story she read when she started reading (She of course, needed low-level books at that time). She was seeing in her mind figures that were grouped together, or as Clover called them, Juniper Peace, filled with coyotes that looked similar to her. Then as she described her sisters leaving, she saw a few of the coyotes slowly fade from the picture. Then, as the story turned, so did the image, of Clover traveling over various lands, first rocky ground like a mountain, then waves of wheat that matched the color of her eyes, since she didn't really describe her terrain which she came from. Then, she she reached the end of her history, Alyssum saw another group, all with reddish faces that featured in most of the Lykoi members.

She was thinking of sharing her history, but then again it was dull. It could wait for another time. Then, she watched her collect her own pile of books, and set them down on the dirty table. When Clover Love asked her about the book, it took her a moment to realize she was talking about the one she was holding. It confused her for a moment, since she had many books stacked next to her, and she was also holding her literature book, but she knew she wasn't talking about that. "I was looking through basic aerodynamics, for a certain topic. Once upon a time, a shared a night with an elderly wolfdog, and he told me a thing or two about humans. But, what interested me the most that they can fly, though they didn't have wings. Of course, this section it all about airplanes, which is a complex and boring topic. But, I finally found a book about a type of transportation called hot air balloon." Then, she snapped her muzzle shut, hoping she wasn't boring her with her rambling about flying machines.

<style>
</style> [/html]
[html]

Sorry for the bit of a wait! <3

Once she had settled her own books onto a nearby table and turned to face Alyssum again, Clover easily found herself reclining gently to sit on the table top and let her hands fold gently in her lap. Her new acquaintance had gone on to explain about what she had been reading, but most of it was really just mumbo jumbo to Clover. All she really got from Alyssum’s words was that the long extinct humans had somehow been able to fly. Not like birds, for Aly had said they didn’t have wings, but by something called an airplane. Whatever that was. "Very interesting," she muttered softly, features pulled together slightly, eyebrows furrowed, as she thought this complex idea over. It was much too much thinking for her liking, as Clover was a rather natural and uncomplicated girl, but she was interested to see her new acquaintance had such a curiosity for the topic.

"So," she started, trying to draw together Alyssum’s words. "You’re reading about flying? Are you going to fly?" Was it possible that the book she held told the secrets of flying? Clover was frightened to imagine the idea, but it was awfully thrilling. She hadn’t realized that the library could possibly hold such much varied information, but it seemed so. They were surrounded by thousands and thousands of words complied over hundreds of years, and so perhaps it was only sensible that so many topics were covered underneath the dusty book covers.

"I was just looking for stories," she admitted sheepishly, as if it were uncouth of her to be doing such a thing in a place of academy. Straw eyes glanced to the books she had brought, and a thin smile found her lips. She hoped that the boy would appreciate her gifts, even if he hadn’t asked for them in the first place. Upon returning her gaze to Alyssum, Clover rose from her seat on the table. "Are there pictures?" She asked eagerly, her thoughts having returned to the Inferni woman’s flying machines.

<style>
.clover-t49 {background-color:#331500; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2010o ... rtable.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:255px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #EAA810; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#974F0C; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:425px; text-align:justify; border-radius:5px; -moz-border-radius:5px; -webkit-border-radius:5px; }
</style>[/html]
[html]

WC: 425 +3 OCC: Its alright. :3 PT: 20

Alyssum de Fonte

Alyssum's own eyebrows met as she realized that maybe others didn't know much about flying machines; she didn't even know that humans could fly before that educated wolfdog told her, which he probably read in a book. "I don't think I'll be able to fly. At least not now. They say the easiest way to fly is through ballooning. But even that takes time, and I don't even know if I will be able to do it,"she said half-heartedly. She imagined slightly, her mind running wild for a moment. The first Luperci- no, the first canine to build a contraption and to be able to fly as high as the birds! Indeed, the dream was sky-high, but if the humans could do it, why not her?

"Stories are interesting,"she encouraged when Clover seem to me embarrassed to admit it. "I usually read stories, but the hot air balloon is just a little 'side project'." Alyssum truly liked them. Though she wasn't very much creativity herself when it came to fictional stories, she loved what humans could come up with. Stories about metal-covered men saving princesses from scaled beasts, even that interested Alyssum, even when they were low-leveled books. Then, she remembered one tale that made her quietly scoffed. Little Red Riding Hood had to be one of her favorites, because of the big bad wolf part. She would offer Clover her help later in finding stories if she can, and maybe find the tale of the human-eating wolf.

As the other woman asked her about the book once more, Alyssum flipped open the old book. Its pages were yellowed with age, but it was still in good condition. It indeed had pictures, all of them ink drawings of concepts and designs of different hot air balloons. Most of them were the simple, rounded-shape balloons, with little labels scattered around them like it was flying through a sky with word-filled clouds. "Most of them are pictures of hot air balloons,"she stated, continuing to flip through the book. But, she paused as she saw something different. It was a picture of a creature, who only had hair on top of its head, and some covering his face, under what she guessed was its nose; other than it, it was completely hairless. Alyssum never saw a creature like this before, and she looked down at its caption: John M. Cooper, written in fancy cursive.

"Is this...a human?"she asked, turning to Clover as if she knew the answer. The coyote never even saw a picture of a human before, so she wouldn't know.

<style>
</style> [/html]
[html]

Clover smiled at Alyssum when she told her that she too enjoyed stories, but the young coyote didn’t offer any words in response. Instead, she let their conversation steer back to the book her new acquaintance held, and Clover drew closer as Alyssum tentatively cracked open the cover. The spine bent with slight cracking, and the pages shuffled lightly as Alyssum thumbed through them. As the yellowed pages fluttered, straw yellow eyes danced along the pictures and other depictions of the flying machines. She did not understand any of it, but it was all marvelous nonetheless. "Wow," she breathed, her voice so fragile like the pages of the book that it would have been impossible for Alyssum to hear had she not been standing so close. Clover wished she could see these things in person, if only to better understand how they worked.

It wasn’t until the page fell onto one containing a human, that Clover’s astonished features curled into something more Cheshire. She had seen the humans before in old pictures like these, but they had looked very different. Clover studied the long deceased Mister Cooper, before letting her gaze rise from the page to find Alyssum. "Oh, yes, love," her voice once again hushed, as if not to disturb a resting child. "That’s most definitely a human." Her gaze went back to study the man, finding the human species to be so odd looking. She couldn’t possibly imagine what the world would be like had these humans and their strange flying machines still been around.

<style>
.clover-t49 {background-color:#331500; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2010o ... rtable.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:255px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #EAA810; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#974F0C; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:425px; text-align:justify; border-radius:5px; -moz-border-radius:5px; -webkit-border-radius:5px; }
</style>[/html]
[html]

WC: 333 +3 OCC: Pfft, it would be interesting thing to see; a canine flying over others' head, while the gawk in amazement xD Free rides, anyone? PT: 23

Alyssum de Fonte

Alyssum looked at Clover when she confirmed her thoughts, then looked back down at the human who's name was John. He looked sternly, as if he smelled something bad. But how could he smell anything, with a nose that looked like it couldn't smell something that was right under it? And how did he stay warm in the winter, being hairless? Many questions boiled in her mind, dancing on her tongue for them to be released and asked. But, she bit it down, and skimmed down the page that was opposite to the picture. As she stifled through it, it seemed that he made a balloon that won a race. Oh, so now humans raced in hot air balloons? How many were in that raced, she wondered. What material did that John Cooper used to make it?

She could sit there a ponder onto the night if Clover wasn't there. But, since she didn't want to be rude, she tore her eyes off of the pages and looked up to the tawny coyote. "It seems our human here raced hot air balloons, and he won a race. His prize was one thousand dollars, whatever that is." She thought maybe they meant sand dollars, but who would want a thousand seashells? Where would they have kept it? Again, Alyssum was letting her curiosity about humans get the better of her, and mentally shook her head of the thoughts. "Anyway, even if I wanted to, I couldn't possible create a hot air balloon. At least, not by myself. I would need a metalworker, for the frame, a weaver for the basket, since I'm certain there's nothing like that, even in Halifax." She could go on what she would need to even think about building a hot air balloon.

"Its certainly a very, very interesting thing to imagine, but I don't know if its a possible feat,"Alyssum said quietly, her lips tugging at their ends to form a frown, though she tried to seem light-hearted.

<style>
</style> [/html]
[html]

Sorry for the horrible, horrible wait! <3 +3

Clover listened to Alyssum interestedly as she talked of all the things that she would need in order to recreate one of the strange flying air balloons. It did sound to be pretty impossible, and the contraptions in the pictures were like nothing she had ever seen. If Alyssum was able to produce something like that, Clover was sure to look on in amazement. For now, staring down at the yellowed pages of the book, it was something very hard to imagine. "It would certainly be interesting to see," Clover replied softly, noting the light frown that had caught Alyssum’s features. It was clear that the girl wished she could attempt something similar to the hot air balloons, and Clover wished there was some way she could help her. But in the end, Clover didn’t really know how to do any of the things Alyssum had listed off.

So instead, Clover decided she would change their topic of discussion to try and lighten their moods again. She motioned back towards the books she had collected while upstairs, and lifted one from the table she had placed them on. "I was looking for stories," she repeated, "because I was hoping to give them to someone as a gift. I don’t know what he likes to read about, though, so I’ve just been picking out the ones that look the most interesting." Though it was a golden rule to do the opposite, Clover had been judging all of the books here by their covers. "This one is called Lolita", she informed Alyssum, waving the book in the air for the girl to see. "I don’t know what it’s about, but the name is so pretty I had to take it."

She offered the girl a sheepish grin then, before pulling herself onto the table (and using it as a chair) and letting her legs dangle over the edge. "This sure is an amazing place, huh, love?" Straw yellow eyes went past the coyote before her to sweep over the vast amounts of shelves and books. There were pages strewn everywhere, but somehow there seemed to be some magic in the mysterious allure of the building.

<style>
.cloverlovenever .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.cloverlovenever p {padding:0px 20px 5px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.cloverlovenever b {color:#212e45; letter-spacing:-.2px;}
.cloverlovenever {background-color:#ba78a6; background-image:url(http://anna.sleepyglow.net/images/souls ... enever.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:245px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #ffffff; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#26191f; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:496px; text-align:justify; border-radius:5px; -moz-border-radius:5px; -webkit-border-radius:5px; }
.cloverlovenever-border {width:498px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:5px; -moz-border-radius:5px; -webkit-border-radius:5x; box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A; -moz-box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A; -webkit-box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Table by Sie! /// I'm sorry for the wait. ;-; Bad weather where I live. SSWM: 185

Alyssum pushed back the thoughts about the balloon and focused at the book Clover pulled out. "Lolita does sound like a pretty name,"she agreed. She wondered, too, what it was about. Probably more interesting than a bunch of books about impossible things. The coyote also wondered who the person the female was talking about; she had still had yet meet many of her Clanmates, Clover being the first besides Sepirah and Gabriel. "I'm pretty sure he'll like it, though."

She follow the tawny canine's eyes as they beheld the library, and she couldn't help but agree me. "Yes, it is a wondrous place. The worlds that books can hold,"she murmured, closing her eyes for a moment, as if she was visiting another planet in her mind. "Its a sad thing, though, that some don't know how to visit these worlds. Even if they can barely read a few words at a time, it would be better than none at all." Alyssum did feel a little bad, remembering the time back in her old life, when she never even knew that a thing called a book existed.

<style>
.alyss-t49 .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.alyss-t49 p {padding:2px 0px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.alyss-t49 b {color:#F9F68C; letter-spacing:-.2px; text-shadow:#000000 2px 2px 2px; }
.alyss-t49 {background-color:#522E19; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2010d ... mtable.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #FFFFFF; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#20120A; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:475px; text-align:justify; }
.alyss-t49-border {width:479px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto;}
.alyss-t49 .inner {margin:65px 10px 10px 10px; padding:10px; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/50pct_white.png); border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:20px;-moz-border-radius:20px; -webkit-border-radius:20px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

No worries! Sorry this is so long. :3 SSWM: 1030

The jacket had long since been removed from the hard cover book, and so the outside was overly simple. The cover was done in a fabric of green, the color reminiscent of Harlowe’s eyes and yet with a hint of more mint. Though the color had been what had first lured Clover to tilt the book and pull it from the shelf, it was the lovely gold letters in script that had caught her attention. The name, Lolita, had a certain ring to it that Clover enjoyed, and the lovely swirls of the golden script had been enough for her to put it into her collection for Harlowe. She had no idea what the story inside the cover would actually be about, but she was already attached to the novel.

Cracking open the front cover, Clover thumbed through some of the pages and watched the illegible words flick by in a mess of black and pale cream (for the pages were no longer white, and had taken on a yellow inspired tone). "Oh yes, I’m sure he will too," Clover responded to Alyssum’s words, tucking away the loose strand of burnt ochre hair that had fallen to obscure her vision. She wasn’t sure if her words were true – if Harlowe really would enjoy reading a book about someone or something named Lolita – but she was determined to convince herself that he would appreciate her gift nonetheless. She had eyes for the young Dahlian man, and hoped that this might spark something to be reciprocated.

They had both turned their attention away from the books in Clover’s hands to study the grand display of the library that encompassed them. Clover looked on appreciatively; though she was a hippie girl and absolutely loved nature, she had also come to develop an appreciation for the things left behind from the humans. Some of the buildings looked foreboding in their dilapidated state, but the architecture of the library had been built to be grand back in the era of the humans, and Clover still thought that it was rather beautiful. She, of course, did not know a thing about architecture, but she personally appreciated the way that the vines and other signs of nature coiled around the brick and climbed up the walls and pillars of the place.

'Yes, it is a wondrous place. The worlds that books can hold.' It was these words that had Clover looking away from the scenery surrounding them and finding the face of the young coyote at her side. Alyssum had closed her eyes at the moment that Clover’s straw yellow gaze fell upon her. She was considering the girl’s words for a moment longer, realizing the truth behind the girl’s last statement. She nodded slowly, looking back to the disturbed rows of shelving. She had not read much fiction in her short life time, but she had had the opportunity to lose herself in a few novels. Each one held a captivating world that was entirely different than the one Clover faced now, so she knew exactly what Alyssum meant by the worlds that the books held. The humans had found plenty to write about (as was apparent by all the books housed in this building) and Clover found each one to be equally interesting as the last.

"Yes, it is sad, hun," Clover agreed, nodding her head once more. Though perhaps her upbringing had been more than unconventional, she was glad that she had been surrounded by so many talented individuals. Before she had left the small gypsy pack of Juniper Peace, she had been imparted upon much wisdom for such a young girl. Not only did she know a lot of valuable information when it came to planting, especially concerning the cultivation of her favorite cannabis plant, but she had also been taught how to create lovely melodies on the pearly white guitar that she had been given as a gift. Reading and writing had also been skills she had been taught to master, and found that they had come in great use in her attempts at botany. The girl used her plants guide so often that it had become riddled with dog ears and notes she had scribbled inside. None of that would have been possible without the lovely guidance of those souls in her birth pack. She was a privileged child, and she too felt bad for those who had not been so fortunate to be allowed access to the worlds the humans had left behind.

"I wish it was something that everyone knew how to do – read, that is," she elaborated, eyes drifting over to Alyssum for just a quick moment. She wasn’t aware how many other people in Inferni knew how to read, or if anyone was interested in learning at all, but Clover shared the Hastati’s sentiment. Knowing just the smallest fraction about how to read or write was largely beneficial. After all, once you knew a little bit, it wasn’t hard to work your way through harder texts.

Perhaps if anyone was interested, Clover could organize some sort of reading lesson. In fact, perhaps it was something the two could work at together. At the very least, Clover thought that she might volunteer to teach these skills to the younger members of the clan. If the Tirones Minors grew up with this information, then it would only aid them further as they advanced through the ranks of the clan. Clover smiled at this idea, though she did not bring it up to the young woman at her side just yet. She wondered if she might be able to track down Gabriel or Kaena at some point, and talk the idea over with them. If they both thought it would be beneficial, then perhaps the girl really would see to it. "It opens you up to so many ideas," Clover added, returning to the conversation. "Like those flying balloons you showed me. Even if you’re not able to make one, at least you’ve been able to see what was at one time possible. It’s all so magical," she sighed dreamily, hugging the book in her hand close to her chest.

<style>
.cloverlovenever {background-color:#ba78a6; background-image:url(http://anna.sleepyglow.net/images/souls ... enever.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:245px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #ffffff; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#26191f; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:496px; text-align:justify; border-radius:5px; -moz-border-radius:5px; -webkit-border-radius:5px; }
.cloverlovenever-border {width:498px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:5px; -moz-border-radius:5px; -webkit-border-radius:5x; box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A; -moz-box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A; -webkit-box-shadow:3px 3px 4px #2A2A2A;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Table by Nuki!/// Heh, mine looks so small next to your's. x3 SSWM: 730

The coyote laid back against the table Clover sat herself upon, regarding her own said statement carefully. Her mind retraced its familiar steps to the depths of memories that recalled her pup-hood in her homeland. Unlike Clover she wasn't raised with loving friends and family, surrounded by peace and love, but was brought up in a quite lonely and bitter lifestyle. When she was about three months old, she could remember all the other children her age avoiding her, under their parents' stern orders. Whenever she tired to play a game with even the loneliest looking pup, she was either ignored or chased away by the bigger children. But by then, her mother would intervene and take her back to her home in a cozy burrow.

Alyssum would always question her why they treated her in this way, unlike any other pup. She avoid answering her questions directly, giving a stiff answer that always concluded with that their parents were too spiteful to notice her child wasn't what she appeared be. The young coyote didn't understand that at that current time, but even know, when she understood its meaning, she couldn't comprehend why they acted that way. They were so sour because of her heritage; her sire 'type', being half coyote and half wolf, was absolutely hated by her entire pack, and they rejected his spawn like they had a say in it. Since they ended up only having one pup in the litter, Alyssum had to bear the title of the child of bad-blood, baneful spawn, and many other names she was called behind her back alone. Her mother was rather quite bold, not regretting the act and claimed that their olden rules and laws were befitting for rabbit-hearted fool with only half a brain.

Because of their strict feral lifestyle, Alyssum wasn't introduce to reading until that one fateful day that she cut all ties with her old pack, when she visited that school. Its dusty hallways were covered with yellowed papers and trashed objects. The roof of the building was nearly caved in, some with object literally hanging from holes caused by erosion. Plants and other foliage creped up the building's walls and doors, sealing some of the rooms off from Alyssum's curiosity. But one room, which was surprisingly door-less, was spared from the fate of its fellows from being locked away from the world. The coyote was drawn to one particular book, and it ended being the only tool in which introduced her to reading. It taught her how to write as well, but reading came first so she could actually know what she was doing instead of copying random characters.

Alyssum giggled as Clover snuggled the book to death, even if it wasn't alive, and agreed. "It would be nice, if everyone was born the ability to read. It took me a good, solid two months before I could read a single page. With being able to read, try to imagine the possibles of communication that could rise. We could easily talk with people who speak a different tongue through reading and writing. We could also send papers to other packs, for those who have relations to them." She imagined writing something to Niro, updating him about the bird he helped rescue without traveling for nearly a whole day to where they first met. That would probably save others much time as well. And, at times during tensions, rivaling packs wouldn't have to risk a battle breaking out by sending letter instead of canines to deliver messages.

But, Alyssum would imagine not many wolves or coyotes would know about writing if they didn't know much about reading. It couldn't be hard to learn, though, she thought to herself, since she discovered writing and practiced it by herself with her literature book that taught her how to read. She, too, was starting to form an idea like Clover, though it took a slightly different path. If she managed to teach others how to write, maybe that could make more communication between the packs and then things could be more peaceful instead of tension. "You know, I wish others knew how to write as well. With reading and writing, hand in hand, many more, numerous worlds could open up. Canines would read and traverse into the open pages, and maybe even create a entire universe with quill and paper."

<style type="text/css">
.Alyssum_wonderland b {font-weight:bold; color:#4c4652; letter-spacing:1px; }
.Alyssum_wonderland .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.Alyssum_wonderland p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.Alyssum_wonderland {margin:0px auto; width:420px; background-color:#F7F6FF; border:1px solid #092C5F; border-top-style: hidden; -moz-border-radius-bottomright:20px; -moz-border-radius-bottomleft:20px; -webkit-border-bottom-left-radius:20px; -webkit-border-bottom-right-radius:20px; 0px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: tahoma, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#225580; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.3px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Sorry about the wait. :3

The ideas that were blossoming in Clover’s head were wonderful. Now, not only did she have this idea about teaching the youth of Inferni the skills of reading and writing, but Clover has also thought that perhaps she might Harlowe a letter. It was nowhere near as a noble idea as Alyssum’s (of communicating with other packs) but it was the same principle. They could put their skills to use to communicate without having to see one another in person. It was a brilliant thought. Perhaps she would write Harlowe a note and stick it inside one of the books, so that he might discover it later when he was one his own. The corner of her mouth twitched to smile at the thought of it; she imagined the chartreuse eyed boy thumbing through the pages of the book to find her note.

She nodded her head in agreement to Alyssum’s words. "Yes, what a wonderful world it would be if everyone knew how to read and write." Pale yellow eyes turned to find the coyote girl next to her. "Perhaps we could offer to teach others – in Inferni, and outside, if anyone wanted to. I mean, if we taught one person in each pack how to write, then they could essentially go and teach others in their pack." Clover smiled at the idea. She loved the idea of spreading these valuable skills, almost as much as she loved the idea of spreading peace and love.

Gathering her books, she rose from her position on the table, eyes sweeping over the library once more. This would be all she could carry for now – she’d have to come back later if she wanted to bring more of the volumes back to Inferni. Brushing some of the burnt ochre from her face with a free hand, Clover sought the cool icy blue of the coyote girl’s gaze. "I think I’m going to head back to Inferni now, and bring these guys with me." She lifted the books slightly away from her chest to indicate what she meant. "It was lovely chatting with you, sweetheart. Maybe we could get together again and read sometime."

<style>
</style>[/html]