Black and White
[html]
OOC Laughs

Hadley had wandered farther north, avoiding the routes that he knew were more open. He didn't want to be in places that a wagon could feasibly pass through. He didn't know Amy's trade route, and she could be out there, fully prepared to take him and beat him for escaping from Sebastian. If he was lucky. If not, there were things that were much worse that she could do to him. At the moment though, that fear wasn't in his mind. His main thought was about that deer that was right before him, and how he was going to catch it to eat.

The hybrid's scarred body tensed up, getting ready to pounce. He wasn't exactly very good at this, but his hunting skills were better than before. He could take down prey. He just wasn't the best at it. At least, not while on two legs. His skill at hunting on four was perfectly fine. He just refused to use that form, knowing that he was far too vulnerable like that. Instead, he patiently waited before pouncing forwards. The deer struggled in the large hybrid's grasp, small hooves kicking and drawing blood from his body. He didn't even react, far too used to such pain. Grabbing the head he twisted it sharply, and the deer fell limp. Lunch was served.

<style type="text/css">
.darkfields b {font-weight:bold; color:#775f2c; letter-spacing:.5px}
.darkfields p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.darkfields {margin:0 auto; width:600px; background-color:#151608; background-image:url(http://i41.tinypic.com/2rcww95.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:3px double #52361d; padding: 330px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#595731; letter-spacing:.5px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
000+

[/html]
[html]

The wolf approached the doe cautiously.

There was a white spot in the corner of his eye, Wilson watching, probably purring to himself like the wanker he was. Lips twitched slightly in amusement, but Levent did not bare his teeth in a smile. His steps remained slow and purposeful, but not threatening; his posture was far different from a predator’s. The walk he used to approach shy horses seemed to be working, and he mimicked a soft grunt, a nurturing sound. Already he’d taken advantage of the new growth and rubbed himself with whatever smelly stuff he could find—dung, flowers, spare oils, et cetera—to cloak his wolfish scent.

He stretched his hand out to the woodland creature, his ears low against his head and his gaze soft. The doe stepped closer, tail flickering uncertainly, her steps high and awkward.

A grotesque crackle of bones broke the silence, and the deer bolted, bounding away with her white tail flipped up like a warning sign. Levent groaned and stuffed his hands in his pockets, shoulders slumping. As skilled in the low tongues as he was, he’d never been able to learn much of deer dialect—and it looked like he wouldn’t gain the trust of one for a long time yet.

“Someone else breaking necks?” Wilson asked dryly, padding to his friend’s side as ears swiveled toward the sound.

Levent laughed. “I think that’s actually the case, arkadaş.”

The cat snorted. “These hunters are doing a botch job.” He trotted toward the source of the sound, pink nose upturned daintily—likely knowing, of course, that the man would want to go investigate as per usual.

Sen, pisi şirinler, the wolf muttered under his breath, following his friend. He scooped the cat up in his arms casually, ignoring the nip he received in return, focused instead on finding whoever had cracked bones this time and ruined his interaction with the deer. Eventually, they stepped into a fairly dense area to find a brownish luperci with a corvine carcass.

Merhaba! Levent Kartal began to greet with his usual zest, but then his brows met and his ears twitched uncertainly. He looked the strangely familiar, scarred man over for a moment; his scarred shoulder, bare for now, prickled. “Sen tanıyor muyum—do I know you?”

<style type="text/css">
.lev1cai b {font-weight:bold; color:#C05D5C; text-shadow:#1b1511 1px 1px 2px;}
.lev1cai w {font-weight:bold; color:#c5c6dc; text-shadow:#1b1511 1px 1px 2px;}
.lev1cai p {padding:5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:0px;}
.lev1cai {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#5e5753; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/3B5yq.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #534b47; padding:220px 0px 5px 0px; font-family:georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#bdb5b0; line-height:16px; text-align:justify; border-radius:10px;}
.lev1cai .ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:11px; text-align:center;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
OOC Laughs

A strange jovial greeting rang out. Hadley didn't have a clue what was just said, but she spun around, deer still grasped in his arms. He looked at the smaller wolf cautiously, wondering who this was. A cat was nearby, but that wasn't what held him riveted. No, what kept him still was the fact that this wolf, despite lacking that dark air Amy held, was evil. Perhaps that was wrong, but it was the best way that Hadley could describe that pure raw destroying hunger rising off him, the clear sign of Amy's presence carved into his shoulder.

Asked if he knew this wolf Hadley whimpered, pulling himself downwards. He made himself as submissive as possible, ears flattened and tail tucked up as high as it could. He pushed the dead deer towards the pair, hoping that it would be enough to satisfy Amy's servant. S-sorry... A small whine slipped through him before he realized that he'd made far too much noise. Hadley fell silent, eyes on the ground, struggling to keep from staring at the bite, the mark that he knew attached this stranger to the demon in his dreams.

<style type="text/css">
.darkfields {margin:0 auto; width:600px; background-color:#151608; background-image:url(http://i41.tinypic.com/2rcww95.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:3px double #52361d; padding: 330px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#595731; letter-spacing:.5px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
000+

[/html]
[html]

The larger wolfdog recoiled, hunkering down submissively and shoving the deer in their direction as he whimpered an apology. The show of deference stunned the merchant, who only stared open-mouthed for a few moments before glancing down at the dead creature, the elegant line of its neck broken and twisted at a terrible angle. He was reminded of the tribe wolf who’d sooner kill himself than displease the Turkish man.

And so he knew immediately.

“You’re one of Amy’s,” Levent stated blandly, and he could see the cat tense up at mention of the woman’s name. Even if they’d more or less made up over the drunken incident at her camp, her name on his lips caused Wilson to grow dark and withdrawn. He stopped, inhaling the scent of the fresh kill and the scarred man, and corrected himself. “Or you were.”

The man smelled of other wolves now, the thick scent of a formidable pack, slightly faded as it was. He did not smell of the woman. He didn’t think that the blonde assassin would be the type to free her slaves, but perhaps someone had bought his freedom.

“I won’t tell her,” the brown wolf promised—or promised for now, at least; his situation might change later, although he honestly did not intend to. “I mean no ill will toward you. You may rise, and keep the deer. I’m not hungry.” His tone was warm enough but still somewhat detached. He knew it was hard to get a slave to relax when they were conditioned to be submissive and alert for orders, and so he didn’t try to coddle him. Instead, he made it clear that he was bestowing permission even if permission wasn’t something a free wolf needed.

“I’m Levent, and this is Wilson.” His blizzard blue eyes narrowed thoughtfully. “Who are you?” The only slave he knew the woman had currently was Raoth.

<style type="text/css">
.lev1cai {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#5e5753; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/3B5yq.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #534b47; padding:220px 0px 5px 0px; font-family:georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#bdb5b0; line-height:16px; text-align:justify; border-radius:10px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
OOC Laughs

Hadley flinched at the mention of the demon's name. D-don't... What if she came? She'd know she was being called, and would show up. Hadley might be free now, but he would always fear her, the pure storm of darkness, the only one in his nightmares. He relaxed at the mention of Amy's friend keeping quiet, not mentioning Hadley to her. That was good. It meant she wouldn't decide to have some fun tormenting him. Hadley would prefer to not take on injuries he didn't need. Idly he glanced at the cat, wondering why it looked so tense.

Permission was granted to return to what he was doing, and Hadley nodded his head with relief. Picking up the deer Hadley examined it, wondering how he was going to skin it. He'd only been shown how on rabbits, and a deer was much bigger. Introductions were given, and Hadley stored the name in his mind. Levent, someone who Amy liked and would need to treat with great respect. Hadley. From Casa di Cavalieri. He kept quiet on why he was so far from his pack, from the place that he should have been at his master's-no, Sebastian's side. He was free now, even if being around these intimidating creatures made him forget that.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
000+

[/html]
[html]

Levent entertained the belief that names had power—but only the names of god and demons. Calling the name of the blonde woman would matter only if she were sitting in a tree, watching and waiting to drop down. What mattered was the name of the darkness within her, although despite the hours they’d played at reaching that darkness, he still didn’t fully understand it. However, even if he had known, he didn’t believe in causing unnecessary pain for someone. He was better at befriending others to get his way than making enemies. Dead men were useless in his master plan.

The brownish wolfdog grabbed the deer but only stared at it for a while, and Levent drew a knife, holding it gingerly by the blade so the stranger wouldn’t see it as a threat. He made a quick gesture with his hands to get the creature back, just so he could help butcher it if the man wasn’t fond of eating it the feral way.

“Hadley,” Levent echoed, and smiled. “Could you tell me of Casa di Cavalieri, Hadley? I come from overseas, and I know pathetically little about the packs here.” He scratched at his jaw and clarified lightly, “I wouldn’t ask you for a precious secret, though. I don’t need secrets so much as basic knowledge.”

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
OOC Laughs

A knife was drawn, making Hadley flinch before he realized it was being held out to him by blade, the handle pointed in his direction. Sheepishly he grinned, accepting the knife. That would make his task much easier. Thanks. Taking the knife he roughly began to tug it over the skin, working on removing it so that the meat could be gotten to without the pain of having to fight through fur and skin. Occasionally the knife slipped, tearing a large part of the skin and effectively making it useless for anything larger than a bag.

Asked about his pack Hadley paused in his work, only now noticing the outstretched hand. He ducked down, realizing Levent had probably wanted to do the skinning himself, not offering a tool for Hadley to do so. Um...it's for warriors...lots of fighters...they're big...strong leader...want to help others... Hadley had never really been involved in the pack to a large extent, more occupied with the fear that gripped him whenever dealing with someone new than actually learning the ins and outs of the pack that he lived in.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
000+

[/html]
[html]

The wolfdog took the knife, and Levent smirked although he didn’t say anything. He’d been prepared to help butcher the carcass himself, since it was a process he was used to, but if the other male could do it, that was fine by him. He slipped his hands into his pockets, watching skin freed from meat and muscle. His nose twitched at the smell, and he wondered if there would be more food to add to the little stockpile the odd pair had going on. It was nice to have some meat stashed somewhere just in case, although Wilson was pretty self-reliant when it came to hunting mice.

Hadley made the realization shortly, but the Turkish wolf took a step back to distance himself from the half-skinned carcass. “A group of Good Samaritan warriors,” Levent mused, “and probably all taller than me.” He ignored the tomcat’s amused look and shrugged his shoulders lightly. “I guess I’m really too cowardly to be a warrior,” he decided. He had no problem admitting this to a former slave, though. To be cowardly was to survive, and no one could say he didn’t take risks in other fields. He forced thoughts of the blonde merchant out of his mind with some difficulty.

“Do you like it?” He smiled at Hadley, admiring the muscles in his arms as he forced the blade through the deer’s skin. “Being free, being in a pack.”

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
OOC oblivious hadley XD

Levent backed away a little, a clear indication for Hadley to finish what he started. Blushing he picked up the knife and started again, working on tearing the rest of the skin off, trying to remove it with the thin precise movements he'd once seen it done in. The deer skin was just hanging off the end quarters and legs now, Hadley carefully working to make sure as much meat remained on the bones as possible, hoping that he wouldn't be picking through the skin for missed flesh later on. He listened to Levent's description of Casa, frowning a little.

The pack sounded a lot different when described that way. A group of giant heroes, capable of fighting and battling, working to right the wrongs of the world. That wasn't what the pack was to Hadley though. To the timid male it was simply home, where he belonged. Hearing that they were taller than Levent Hadley glanced over, noting the male's size for the first time. Levent had been huge in his mind. Hadley was surprised to discover that it wasn't actually true. He smiled nervously as Levent spoke, thinking. The fact that he was being studied went completely over his head. Yes. No pain.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
000+

[/html]
[html]

Hadley frowned, but whether it was because of something the Turkish man said or a scowl of concentration while he worked, he didn’t know. The idea of such a pack did interest him, even though he wasn’t one to fight for the weak. Perhaps he’d have to change such a thing, win favor with the god. The faiths he studied sent prophets to preach about good deeds, but it was hard to fight for someone if you were afraid of dying.

Cennet was not good enough for him.

Levent nodded lightly as the other mentioned a lack of pain, his eyes falling on some of the several scars that marred his muscular body. “Do you hate her?” he asked after a moment, his voice falling. It was strange how he himself could remain devoted—although that wasn’t quite the right word—to the woman while empathizing with her former slave. His faith praised manumission but did not condemn the taking of slaves itself, or at least not that he could find in the torn pages of his book.

He took a seat on the ground, letting Wilson hop up into his lap. He didn’t think that the man would want to answer the question, and he didn’t press him, instead stroking the tom’s fur. However, the cat’s tail kinked under his chin, and his yellow eyes had fixated on a piece of meat that clung stubbornly to a patch of pelt. Amused, the wolf lifted his hand, and Wilson darted for the flesh, picking it up in his mouth and rushing back to a chuckling Levent.

“Don’t judge me,” Wilson mumbled, flattening his ears at his grinning friend. “I’m bloody hungry. Mouse gets boring.”

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
OOC Laughs

Hadley knew his scars were being studied. It wasn't from being aware of how they made him look, though he was aware that he couldn't be called truly handsome with the scarring marking his frame. It wasn't from Levent acting obvious either, as the male was actually doing fine leaving Hadley with the illusion that he wouldn't be instantly killed from insulting the demon's friend. He knew because with each lingering gaze Hadley relived that cut, feeling it enter him, a slight throb remaining at the reminder that the scar had damaged more than skin in some places. He knew because he feared Levent would use his scars against him, watching for movements of one that would enjoy tearing into old wounds and watching fresh blood cover it.

The question was a surprising one. Hadley looked at the wolf with surprise. Hate the trader? The one that had given him such pain, such misery. Hate hadn't even occurred to him. She was far beyond his grasp, beyond the grasp of any that might meet her. She was to be feared, avoided, obeyed. Hate? Hate would only give her amusement, or perhaps in a more volatile moment a swift death. No. You don't hate her. His voice was flat, stating it as fact rather than the opinion it was, his view clouded by the pain that she'd invoked on him.

Hadley startled as a white streak shot from Levent's lap towards the deer. He managed to avoid cutting himself this time, though the knife managed to bury itself into the dirt. Did Levent have a messenger that reported to Amy or something? Such thoughts were stilled as it revealed itself simply to be a hungry cat, one he had met earlier. Relaxing Hadley managed a thin smile. You're more than welcome to help yourself. He couldn't deny them. Not anything.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
000+

[/html]
[html]

Lev is a jerkface. :c

Brown eyes flicked to the brown wolf in surprise, and Hadley’s flat response confused Levent. He realized after a moment that the former slave was talking about a general you, and he sighed as he considered the point. “Suppose it would be more trouble than it’s worth, to hate her,” he conceded lightly. He knew that the cat was giving him a weird stare; perhaps Wilson had expected him to defend the woman. But as much as he respected and even liked Amy, Lev had no delusions about her power and her sins.

As Wilson ate the small morsel of deer and Hadley dismissed the rudeness with a smile, Levent stretched and stared dully at the carcass. He waved a hand to indicate he didn’t need anything right now then rested his elbow on a leg, his cheek against his fist. Once again admiring the lines of Hadley’s strong body, he asked idly, “What was life like before?”

It was another prying question, and nosy by anyone’s standards, especially those of a slave who might not even remember their old life. Honestly, though, Levent was curious about Hadley—both as a luperci and as a concept. He’d never had close interaction with slaves, even if he’d seen them around on the old continent. It boggled the mind, and he liked to solve puzzles if he could. Even if he’d prefer being nice to the wolfdog than cruel, he didn’t care if he opened up a few old wounds by learning what he could. Luckily, Wilson was too busy eating to reprimand him for his heartless behavior.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
OOC Laughs

Yes, it would be troublesome. Hadley couldn't win against her. To even consider such a thing was to open himself up to punishment. Even with himself set free Hadley would still obey Amy in a heartbeat. He wasn't able to fight against her. It would just invite punishment. He would get hurt. Or even worse, someone that he'd learned to care for would get hurt, being exposed to the same pain that he'd once been given. At least Selene had held protection from that, an heiress herself. A wave indicated that Levent wasn't hungry, and Hadley worked sharply at finishing removing the skin.

He was being stared at. Hadley was far too aware of that fact. He didn't know why Amy's friend had so much interest in him, but it was scaring him. He certainly hadn't done anything to warrant such attention. Ears flattened respectfully he fidgeted. What was life before he was a slave? Hadley remembered that, time healing the injury that had made it so difficult to think about anything beyond life as a slave, able to look forwards, and even on occasion back. His words were slow, stiff as if from not being used. Easy...got what I wanted...no ties... Not since he'd been driven away.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
000+

[/html]
[html]

Final exams drain my motivation to write anything half-decent...

The strong brown wolfdog seemed uncomfortable under the pale-eyed stare, but Levent only leaned back a little, propped up by his arms as he lazily watched the other’s progress with skinning the deer. Others might have cringed at the scars, but he had seen worse on the other street rats in Istanbul—although never so many on one boy. There were worse things to fear than scars.

If he noticed the other’s stiffness in speaking, he did not comment on it. “No ties?” His lips turned upward slightly. “What do you mean?” He supposed that being a slave tied you to your master, but did he mean it as that kind of freedom?

As for everything else… “Only princes get everything they want, or your life was easier than most,” the male muttered. “Or perhaps I’ve just been unlucky, and not strong enough to take what I wanted.” He normally would never dare suggest his own weakness, but this fellow before him had to be weaker if he’d been enslaved.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
OOC Laughs

Hadley shrugged softly, finishing tugging off the skin. Only the meat was left. He paused, trying to remember the original reason behind working on skinning the deer. It had become simple work, something he'd just been doing habitually. There was just me...no one else... No friends, no family, no girlfriends. Could do whatever I wanted...no one to stop me... No one that cared enough to do so. Sighing he carefully worked on cleaning the knife. The blood was wiped off, Hadley carefully examining to make sure that the knife was in good condition before being returned to it's owner.

Hadley didn't know what Levent was talking about. He didn't understand it. Getting what he wanted was easy, considering how the only two desires that had been in his life had been alcohol and women. He didn't eat well, true, and usually just followed around a gang that robbed others and leeched off of them, but he'd been doing what he wanted to do. Even if the females never stuck around he still had them, even if only for a night. His life had been fulfilled in every way he'd wished. Maybe I just didn't want much.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
000+

[/html]
[html]

Hadley explained that there had been no one to care what he was doing, leaving him free with his own choices. The Turkish man nodded in agreement, blue eyes lazily watching the knife before reaching to take it when it was offered. That life was one that he enjoyed, that any free male enjoyed; he had Wilson to look after and to look after him, but there was no pack to keep loyalty for, no mate to reprimand him for enjoying himself, no trails he needed to walk. He only had his own nightmares to drive him onward and onward until he succeeded or he died.

“Perhaps that’s best,” Levent said with a shrug when the other mentioned not wanting much. “Greed leads to blood, and twisted hearts.” He was greedy, he knew—but he thought of it as hunger instead of greed. The taste of immortality besotted him, and it led him toward sin as surely as it led him to redemption. The god would forgive, were the words that had been whispered in that fevered sickroom, the god would overlook these things, and the god would welcome him to a place of honor. That was all he needed, even if he wanted plenty of things.

The brown wolf smiled suddenly, glancing at the former slave with a bit less scrutiny than before. His gaze was more open, thoughtful. “You must think I’m horrible, at least,” he said quietly as the cat looked up from his meat.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
OOC Laughs

The hybrid listened silently to Levent`s words. He really had nothing to say in return. His life had been easy, giving him everything he had craved. It hadn`t lasted though. Hadley doubted anything like that could last. He had seen the darkest things out there, knew that they lived and breathed and could look like an angel. There was no way the easy life could last. Blood, twisted hearts, Hadley didn`t know about that, but he did know that there was a thirst for pain, and one that enjoyed watching him struggle.

He tensed up at the question. Was this a test? What was he supposed to answer? This was Amy's chosen, someone to respect and care for above everything else. If he didn't, he'd be punished. The question caught him off guard, leaving Hadley wide open. Brown eyes blinked, actually looking at Levent. Yes, there was a darkness that seeped from him, but it wasn't as thick and consuming as Amy's. Not yet at least. Shivering he looked down again, wanting to just head back. No. He couldn't.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
000+

[/html]
[html]

Not sure what else to do with this thread so I made a possible ending, but if you want to keep going, I'm open to suggestions. :3

The other was silent as he talked, but Levent was used to babbling to himself when no one else gave enough of a damn to lend an ear. He was weirdly pleased to see the surprise in the other’s face at his last query. Truly, he didn’t know whether he wanted Hadley to think he was horrible. On one hand, some part of him knew he deserved it—or soon would deserve it. But a tiny part of him still protested, still wanted to be known as kind or at least justified in his dark deeds.

Hadley managed to get out an answer, and Levent watched him for a few more moments. There was a lot for him to think about, and several scenarios went through his mind as to what to do next. He could pry more of a story out of the man, or try to befriend him, or get a bit physical and see how the other responded to his touch. His blue eyes ran over the other’s musculature and scars before he shook his head.

“I won’t keep you,” the man stated simply, and stood. Wilson had finished his meat and wound around his ankles once before pausing, sand-colored eyes watching the former slave. “Run along,” the Turkish merchant added, as if bored.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
OOC it's a wrap

Relief shone in his eyes at the dismissal. Being under scrutiny of Amy's chosen was very difficult. He didn't know if he had passed whatever measurements had been taken from him, what Levent thought of the hybrid. Hopefully nothing bad. He still wanted to live. It looked like he would be doing that at least for now. Dipping his head respectfully Hadley severed part of the meat, leaving the better portion for them before gathering it up to leave. He knew that Levent hadn't asked for it, but he still felt like it would be best to give him something. Perhaps it would even grant him some mercy later on. Carrying his burden he turned back towards the camp, walking as fast as he dared to find Shadow and get away from there.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
000+

[/html]